Say No to the Duke

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jun 2019

Another great book!!! I love anything Eloisa James writes! She never disappoints me. Her storytelling astounds me!! Can't wait for her next book!!
This was so intriguing. I wanted to dislike him for so many reasons but I fell in love right along side her.
I received a free copy from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  I love eloisa James and this book is not different.  say no to the duke is the eldest Wilde daughter's story.  Betsey is afraid that she will be just like her mother who abandoned her husband and children to runaway with her Prussian lover.  Betsey has decided to prove that she is the perfect lady and collects marriage proposals.  Jeremy is living with the guilt of surviving when his entire platoon was decimated.  as Jeremy helps Betsey be herself rather than the society facade she puts on they fall for each other.  I really liked Jeremy and can't wait for the next book in the series.
With every book I read in the Wildes of Lindow Castle series, I fall more and more in love with the Wilde family! I love series that follow siblings and their paths toward love – and what better family than one with SO many kids? Betsy is the proper lady of the family, a recent debutante who is determined to never act as flighty and promiscuous as her mother. She falls for one of her brother’s best friends, Lord Jeremy, who is everything but a proper gentleman. Their romance is slow and sweet – it’s another great addition to a series I adore!

I loved the idea behind this book: the heroine wants to experience freedom like she never has before by dressing and acting like a man for a day. While the execution was not exactly how I imagined it, I really did enjoy Betsy and Jeremy’s slow burn romance. Betsy has her list of suitors to choose from (one is a freaking duke!), but no one gets to her, connects with her, makes her burn as much as her annoying brother’s best friend. Jeremy has returned from war with PTSD, which he deal with by drinking. The only highlight to his day is when he interacts with Betsy. They both have struggles to overcome (Betsy with her trying to attain perfection and avoid all things sexual, Jeremy with his PTSD), but I loved that they both learned to navigate through those struggles together.

The only issue I had with this book was the execution of Betsy dressing as a man for a day. I felt like that part of the plot was dragged on for too long. I kept waiting for it to happen and it finally occurred around 2/3 of the way in. That part was slow for me, but I adored the way Jeremy and Betsy fell slowly for each other. It made my heart so happy when they finally realized their feelings for each other!

If you love this series, you definitely will want to read Say No to the Duke. And if you haven’t started this series yet, you really should! Book 2, Too Wilde to Wed, is currently my favorite so far. I’m so looking forward to more from the series!
Lord Jeremy has just returned to England after serving in America during the Revolutionary War. He goes to the home of his best friend and meets his beautiful sister, Betsy. Betsy is so popular this season and it seems after many rebuked marriage proposals, she is once again attached to a new beau who is a future duke. Jeremy is drawn to Betsy but must convince her to say no to the Duke! My first thoughts about this story was the pleasant surprise after the first chapter! It was so engaging with wonderful characters that were realistic and imaginable. I absolutely loved it and give it five stars for keeping me engrossed long into the night!
Lady Boadicea (Betsy) Wilder wanted to be a 'regular' debutante, but was afraid that she'd inherited her wayward mother's trait of loving a man and then just up and leaving him, running away with another, leaving her children behind.   She also wants a best friend, and is delighted to be allowed to attend boarding school, until she realizes that her mother's antics have followed her and caused others to shy away, one dramatically!

Several years later, after turning down many proposals, she's ready to be engaged to a future duke, who she feels comfortable with; however she still feels stuck.  Enter Lord Jeremy Rodan, her brother's best friend, who's been staying at the Wilde castle while recovering from war in the Americas. He's dealing with a lot of guilt and PTSD for letting his troops down. He says she should marry the future duke, she thinks she'll be just like her mother, loving and leaving the good man.

Things happen, some believable, some not, and Jeremy discovers - surprise - that he's only really comfortable with Betsy. Not surprisingly - it's obvious that the HEA will be theirs - but it's a cute story anyway. Not as good at the first three but pleasant.
Perhaps the Romance genre is not for me, or perhaps it's Eloisa James' variety of Romance novel that I am not drawn to. Say No to the Duke is readable but not a lot happens. If you need an easy beach read and if you enjoy these time periods and lengthy love triangle story lines then this is for you.

Eloisa James' variety of romance novel often reads like it was written by someone that has never had initmate relations, the descriptions are very virginal and the purity of the heroine is always a major plot point which just feels gross to me in this day and age.
This was pretty good. I got an e-arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Lady Boadicea Wilde, has always had her mother's reputation as a loose women held against her so many years later when she debuts she vows to never marry a man who she thinks will cause her to be considered a women who enjoys bedsport. (Honestly really representative of the times but ladies should be able to enjoy themselves during sex. Why else have it?Oh babies ahha.)
Anyways one night after her brother's wedding Betsy is having a game of billards with a Duke and Lord Jeremy has this overwhelming attraction to her. So the two spend some time together and Betsy makes a bet with Jeremy that if she wins a game of billards (pool), she can dress up like a man and bid at an auction and Jeremy will come along.
Betsy or Bess wins the game and the two have to go to an auction.
I did really enjoy the sexual tension but it took 80 percent of the book to get to the "get some" part which if you are not that into that this is probably a book for you. One about one sex scene.
I give this a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
The ending with the conflict with Gregoire was kind of rushed and could have been a major plot point in this story but I didn't feel like it was needed or could have been left out all together.
I loved this book. The two main characters, Jeremy and Betsy, had great banter with each other and you could practically feel the sexual tension between the two of them.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.
Sins of the parents often comes back to haunt the children-even gorgeous self assured children. Love happens often when you’re not looking. Those are the two statements that describe Betsy & Jeremy’s courtship.
Wildest of the Wildes!

Those Wildes!  I just adore them and their very human, very idiosyncratic behaviour.
This time add in Lord Jeremy Roden, stalwart damaged warrior with wonderful sense of humor and so real.
I adored this story of young woman who resolved early on never to display the passion her mother had.
From her early days at school Lady Boadicea 'Betsy' Wilde had learned that society was very unforgiving for the daughter of a woman who'd borne children to different men and run off to Prussia with her lover. After all 'blood would out". Betsy determined to be above reproach, even as she squashed the frightening passionate and excitable side of her nature. Lady Betsy would give society nothing to gossip about. She would be an example of all that the ton required of a young woman.
Hence a path strewn with marriage refusals as Betsy battled her internal demons.
Only Jeremy, the damaged hero warrior really saw her, and what a difference that "seeing" would make.
A game of billiards, a wager' and a pair of breeches leads to a night to remember before Betsy finally accepts a duke's proposal, before she crowns her season with success! After all this was what Betsy wanted, and she would never say no to a Duke, even as Jeremy intrigued!

A HarperCollins ARC via NetGalley
I continue to adore the Wilde family and this whole series. Loved having a Wilde woman as a protagonist this time!
Say No to the Duke is the fourth book in the Wildes of Lindow Castle series.  I love Eloisa James’s writing style and was not disappointed with this book!  It captured my attention in the first chapter and it was definitely a hit.  I love the Wildes series because they are so loyal to family, strong minded, entertaining and independent beings.  This is Lady Betsy and Lord Jeremy’s story and it just as exciting as the rest of the series.  Lady Betsy is sassy, independent and determined to have the most amount of marriage proposals.  A future Duke asks her to marry him and when she refuses saying they don’t know one another; the future Duke decides they need to get to know one another.  Jeremy is haunted by memories and staying with the Wilde Family at Lindow Castle as a guest.  As interest in life returns to Jeremy, he becomes more interested in Betsy.  Betsy has worked hard to perfect her “society face” but longs for adventure.  This book was well written and fast paced.  The characters were well developed and provided so much entertainment.  Their interactions are full of banter and wit.  I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.  I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
FINAL DECISION: This book was just amazing. I loved Betsy's strength and gumption. I adored the deep emotional center of Jeremy. These two were incredible together, and I especially enjoyed that their story was much deeper than the blurb would suggest.

THE STORY: Lady Betsy Wilde lived under the feared approbation of her mother's infidelity and scandalous behavior. In exchange, she has become the "perfect" lady and has rejected a number of eligible gentlemen's proposals. Feeling constrained by her "perfect" facade, Betsy wants some adventure and she makes a bet with a family friend to get her chance. Lord Jeremy Roden returned from war in the colonies a changed man and no longer the gentleman he was before. His interactions with Betsy are also changing him, but does he want her for himself or should he convince her to accept a duke who would her perfect match.

OPINION: I've really been enjoying the Wildes of Lindow Castle series. The characters are passionate but reasonable and intensely sweet. There is something loving and heartwarming about these characters. The books give me a warm heart and always leaves me with a smile. These Wildes love in a big and full way and I love them back.

Betsy is the oldest daughter in the family and she suffers from the actions of her mother. She knows that others are looking at her to find traces of her mother's scandalous behavior and Betsy is determined to give others nothing to latch onto. But playing a part has been wearing on Betsy who hasn't been able to indulge in her "wild" side. What I really loved about Betsy is that in a time of restrictions upon women, Betsy has found a way to be a powerful woman. She has made a place for herself where she won't accept limitations but finds ways to subvert them.

Jeremy is her brother North's friend. Returning after war in the colonies, Jeremy suffers from the effects of war. While he thinks himself not a gentleman any longer because of his experiences, his interactions with Betsy are truly the essence of being a gentleman -- if a naughty one. I loved his journey in this book. Betsy grounds Jeremy in the world that he felt disconnected to after his war experiences.

Betsy and Jeremy are just perfect together from the beginning. Their banter and bickering was funny and sexy. These two are such a good match that only their fears can keep them apart.

I loved this book. I cared about the characters and they felt like real people with fears and foibles and mistakes. I really like that these are good people and the book allows them to work out their personal issues and find a way to one another.

WORTH MENTIONING: I love this family. I'm hoping for books for more of the siblings.

CONNECTED BOOKS: SAY NO TO THE DUKE is the fourth book in the Wildes of Lindow Castle. The romance here is self-contained and thus it can be read as a standalone, but I think this book is much better if a reader is familiar with the passionate Wilde family and the circumstances which confront Betsy.

STAR RATING: I give this book 5 stars.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in order to assist in preparation of this review. I was not required to write a review or to write a positive review. All opinions contained herein are my own.
What an absolute delight this book is! Say No to the Duke is a prime example on why I love Eloisa James's writing so much.

Lady Betsy and Lord Jeremy were an absolute delight! Both have been shaped by events in the past and both are determined to fight for who they want to be. The banter between them was entertaining and I loved watching them match each other tit for tat.

Impeccably written with a charming cast of characters, and a fun and flirty story line with a side of the feels, Say No to the Duke is without a doubt one of the best books I have read this year.
I’m not sure it’s possible for Eloisa James to write a bad book; she’s too talented for that. But in my opinion, this particular one lacks the spark to elevate it beyond the average.

I liked the leads well enough. Jeremy is suffering from PTSD after losing his entire troop fighting in America, and it’s hard not to sympathize. He’s also uses roguish behavior to mask his pain, another plus in my book; I like a good rogue. Betsy maintains a proper façade, but she’s capable of living up to the Wilde family name if she wishes. I liked the way the two characters played off of each other, Jeremy encouraging Betsy to be herself, and Betsy distracting him from his pain.

What didn’t work for me was the central plot point. Because she’s afraid she will be compared to her scandalous mother, Betsy has trained herself to exhibit complete propriety when out in society. She’s fixated on the idea that she has to be perfect, otherwise she could make the same bad choices her mother did. But given that she comes from a family that seems completely uncaring of what other people think of them, I just couldn’t quite buy that she would give that idea as much weight as she did. Maybe I’m supposed to excuse her because she’s very young and has been the target of hateful treatment at school, but Betsy otherwise seems to display a lot of good sense, so I found that difficult.

Add to that some extra melodrama involving Jeremy’s family that I don’t think was necessary, and I found myself wishing Jeremy and Betsy were in a somewhat different story.

So, mixed feelings here, and it gets a middling review.

A copy of this book was provided through NetGalley for review; all opinions expressed are my own.
Really thoughtful exploration of 18th century PTSD in the context of the American Revolution, with family coming together rather than acting as an obstacle to the heroic central pair.
**3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this book for the most part. I just wish we had more time with the two main characters. We see their relationship progress over the course of only a few days, however, they have known each other for months. I would have liked to see more of that relationship forming (perhaps it did in the previous book and I can’t remember it) but they were a fun couple. There was a whole chunk of time where I felt we lost the main interaction of the couple and it got a bit convoluted with extra characters. I did think the plot twist with the cousin was unnecessary. Overall a solid addition to the series.
Eloisa James' always leaves me with that glowy HEA feeling and excitement for the next book!! I loved our Wilde heroine, Betsy (or Bess or her full name, Boadicea). She's intelligent, sassy, independent, determined, and initially frightfully worried she's exactly like her faithless mother. Jeremy is a friend of her elder brother and at their castle recovering from the horrors of war. He finds himself more and more drawn to Betsy. And Betsy to him. Their interactions are so fun to read. I loved the journey to their HEA. It is exactly what I expect from an Eloisa James' book. Wit, a touch of drama, family, and some personal epiphanies along with the delicious HEA.
I received a review copy from NetGalley. I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
I’m always fond of “friends to lovers” story, and while Betsy and Jeremy aren’t exactly friends at the beginning, by the end they are most definitely lovers!

Jeremy, emotionally scarred by war, is a close friend of the Wilde brothers, and they invite him nome  to stay with them to heal, strengthen, and begin to regain his place in society.  Betsy, one of the Wilde sisters, is swanning her way through society, and collecting and discarding marriage proposals right and left.  A young woman who is bound and determined to *not* take after her mother, she intends to find a comfortable husband, and avoid any unseemly displays of passion.

Both of the main characters are ready for change, and their growth towards and around each other is believable, funny and sweet.