Cover Image: Temperate Garden Plant Families

Temperate Garden Plant Families

From the Publisher: "Based on the most up-to-date research, Temperate Garden Plant Families spans the spectrum from Acanthaceae (the acanthus family) to Zingiberaceae (the ginger family), and reflects the current scientific consensus about the family status of the most popular garden genera. "

An up to date reference book that works well in conjunction with other reference works.  This would work well for the advanced gardener or horticulturist.
Temperate Garden Plant Families
by Peter Goldblatt & John C Manning
Timber Press

I saw this book and thought of my Grandpa who was in the  Horticultural Society of Rododendron. Me I do not have a green thumb at all but I did enjoyed this book at times it was a little over my head. This is a great reference book for a class on plant grouping or for someone to continue there knowledge in The plant grouping area.  The photos are great and the drawings are done very well with the info under each informative. This book is not for someone that wants to have a go at planting a garden for the first time.
Whilst I am most definitely not a horticulturist, I am terribly curious and I love learning. Do not be put off by the scientific sounding title or serious cover, this book is wonderful! It is designed to be a reference book but so enthralled by the interesting facts and surprising connections was I, I read it straight through! I have since referred back to it several times to guide my plant matching and planning.

Each family of temperate plant is discussed both in terms of identification, it’s flowers, fruit, relations and uses. Understanding the overarching structure of plants and how each is related helps in understanding each plant individually so much better! I also love knowing things like the agave is a relative of asparagus and is used to make tequila! Fascinating facts abound! I also have a new respect for the importance of the Latin naming as it makes remembering who is who so much easier! The drawings are gorgeous and the photos helpful!

Many of the plants are highly poisonous, and it’s deadly uses explained. I was amuse do to think, in a whodunit, this book would most definitely count against any murder suspect who owned it!

It is a five out of five on the en-JOY-ment scale and if you have a love for plant, I highly recommend it!
This book is not for those looking for a quick read, or a catalogue listing of plants for certain areas. This is a more detailed, scientific look into the classification and history of classification of plant species. If I were taking a plant college or university course, I would either use this book for a source in a paper, or be reading it as a course requirement. Though it is a little dry to read, the information is truly interesting and relevant to an understanding of how plants are and were classified. If you have an interest in learning about how plants are grouped together, or need a good source for a botanical class, this is the book to check out. If you simply want to see what plants would be good for your garden, look somewhere else, but give this a quick look if you want to impress your gardening friends.

Determining which family a plant belongs to is a crucial horticultural skill. Organizing plants by family provides a framework for thinking about plant characteristics and for arranging thousands of plant names in a coherent and predictive pattern. This is especially important now, as advances in DNA analysis have recently altered much of the world of botanical taxonomy. In Temperate Garden Plant Families, Peter Goldblatt and John C. Manning teach readers how to identify the most horticulturally important temperate plant families. Introductory information includes an overview of family classification, plant nomenclature, and plant morphology.

The comprehensive A–Z of plants includes profiles that include information on the number of species and genera, plant form, flowers, fruit, and a short description. Each profile is illustrated with colour photographs and botanical illustrations. This comprehensive identification guide is for botany and horticultural professionals, nurserymen, advanced gardeners, and students of botany and horticulture.

The only great thing about chicken pox at age 52 (and being a super- speed reader) is you can easily read and review four+++ books a day..and this was an excellent book to have spent an hour or two (or many more on your side) with.

This is an interesting but exhaustive book on plant taxonomy - it was, frankly well beyond my skill set as I am a very black-thumbed gardener. However, I can see our library patrons eating it up as we have a great number of homesteaders and mater gardeners using our library AND its garden allotment plots out back. The book is well set up and expertly written and I can see them loving it - it is their love that resulted in a 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱 review. (Why use stars when you can play with emojis?)
This is a textbook-like book that lists 92 plant families with information about the plants in each one. Included for each is:

Family name
common name
number of species and genera
range
plant form
flowers
fruit
description
some of the plants in the family
line drawings and/or color photos of examples (not provided for all families)

Each section is about one full page of text about the family characteristics and several pages of photos and/or drawings of some examples. The photos/drawings are in no way exhaustive and do not always show the plants in the ways people would most recognize them (for instance, the two photos of maples were close ups of the small flowers).

I had hoped that the book would help me as a forager, but it is not designed to really tell you how plants are useful or edible but just how to classify them and know which other plants are related. This is also NOT an ID book. I had also hoped it could be helpful in homeschooling, but it is too dry and academic for a casual read even for a plant lover like me, and definitely not something kids/teens would pick up for fun.

Recommended for those who need to have up-to-date information about plant families for classes, work or research. Probably of limited value to others.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.