Not the Girl You Marry

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Dec 2019

I will take a romantic comedy like this any day where the man has real feelings and the woman has agency of her own. Looking forward to the next book in this world or otherwise.
It wasn't as bad as people said it was but I can tell how some people hate the writing because it reads dry but then the girls have these sassy dirty personalities coming from left field. I got tired of the mentioning of dick pictures being the worst thing to happen to anyone. It also doesn't make sense that she was having a double standards. She tricked him to having a relationship just as he did that to her?? Why should he be the one only to be blamed? I also understand why the author felt like she needed to explain how insecure our main female character is of her race and how annoyed she was for ignorant people but it was overdone in a way that made the main female character seem stand offish. She wasn't giving anyone a chance and had put her insecurities on others.

Also, the big happily ever after was too big and felt unnatural.
This was just not the book for me, I couldn't get into it compared to the first book. Where I loved the first heroine I wasn't as connected to this one. The writing was still great but I didn't care about either character so it was a DNF for me.
A fun take on the fake-dating trope -- will be recommending this one to fans of romances with tons of banter and chemistry! Fans of How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days will not be disappointed!
If you know me at all then you know I am a sucker for a good rom-com novel, and once I discovered Not The Girl You Marry, I knew I would have to check it out!

Not the Girl You Marry was described as How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days with a millennial makeover, and I was super curious to get the authors version of the story. I watched the movie a few years back, and while I didn’t love it too much, I still appreciated the storyline, and I was curious to see how this book would compare. While I had a few issues with the book, I found it to be a fun, steamy read!

Here’s what I liked about the book:

First, it has some pretty great characters. I loved Hannah. She was smart and witty, yet sometimes a bit shy and modest. I loved her snarky attitude and how fearless she seemed. Her roommate, Sasha, was pretty awesome as well. Can we all have a friend like Sasha??

I also liked the storyline for the book, but I didn’t LOVE it. Without spoiling anything, I’ll say that both of the main characters were lying throughout the book for their jobs, which is fine and is a storyline that I have read over and over again. Unfortunately I didn’t love most of Jack’s storyline…

Which leads to what I didn’t like about the book:

So, I really, really wanted to like Jack. There were some times in the book where he seemed likable, but then he would do something completely stupid in order to try to 'lose' Hannah for his job. Call me old fashioned, but some of the things Jack did were really awful, and I had a hard time separating the ‘job’ Jack from the ‘real’ Jack. Maybe it’s because I’m hard to forgive, but he really pissed me off with the way he treated her, even if it was for work, and I had a hard time looking past that by the end of the book.

(That being said I did love his family!)

Overall; While I did have a few issues with Jack’s behavior in the story, I did still find this to be a fun read, and I definitely plan to check out Andie’s next book, Not That Kind of Guy, which is about Jack’s sister, Bridget, and set to release in April 2020! (I can’t wait! I loved Bridget!) If you’re looking for a steamy rom-com, do check this out!

Happy Reading!
Andie's writing just keeps getting better and better. Full thoughts and review posted on bookbub at https://www.bookbub.com/profile/nisha-sharma
>YESSSSSS
>How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, (one of my favs) Gender swapped meets The Wedding Planner
>Think the premise & gender swapping is brilliant and worked.
>Perfect for fans of Nicole Byer’s Why Won’t You Date Me? Podcast
>I really enjoyed it, devoured it.
>Guess you’ll either love it or hate. I don’t get the hate, TBH. To each their own.
>Hot steamy make outs and sex scenes
>Totally down for a sequel following another couple
>Liked the characters, fell in love with Hannah quickly. Jack had to grow on me with his too perfect nice guy shtick. But he did.
>Yay BFFs! Opposites that balance and have the right similarities. This one is not as pathetic and put down as the one in the movie.
>Oral sex with pubic hair!
>Man with mommy issues and divorced parents
>Hannah is biracial and dealt with an awful hotep ex.
>I thought it was obvious why Jack was calling Hannah “dutchess” given MEGAN FUCKING MARKLE.
>Jack’s How To article wasn’t as moving as the original in the movie
>Liked this ending better, no complication with moving to further a career
>This is my first Andie J. Christopher book and I’ll be reading more!
A sexy contemporary romance that is based off a rom com movie that I watched when I was these characters' ages... lol. Very smart, talented writing with flawed, real characters.
I really like Andie Christopher’s voice but something about this one just didn’t quite work for me. A little too much time before the characters began to gel, maybe? Just a personal thing.
The author's note at the beginning of this book gave me all the feels. I have totally been in the position before where I feel like I'm just not the girl guys want to marry, and it's nice to know that Andie felt that so much to her core at one point in time that she shared her heartache and situations with her readers. So, for that, I thank you, Andie. I needed to read this to make me feel like I deserve someone right for me and to not settle for anything less. I do not come from a biracial background, but I have biracial friends and I know that people make comments about "which race they identify with" and all that bull, but I guess I never really understood how often it truly does still happen, when skin color should literally be the last thing people think about when meeting new people. I have so many emotions running through my mind, but I'll leave it at that.

I usually like books where each chapter is from a different person's POV, but this one has an omniscient narrator, so each chapter has both Jack and Hannah's internal voice as well as their conversations. Hannah really hates Jack at first and I love that fact because she has this mindset that all guys are jerks and really out for only one thing. Hannah doesn't have time for that, and after her last heartbreak, she really doesn't want to go through that again. Jack, on the other hand, falls head over heels for this fiery beauty and tries to get her to give him her number. She finally gives in after he seduces her with her favorite taco truck (who can blame her...tacos are life and I'll fight anyone on that).

Jack writes for an online magazine, but he's tired of doing fluff pieces; he wants a good political piece. Hannah is an event planner and wants to switch from planning big party events to planning the wedding of the century for the Senator's daughter. Jack and Hannah both use each other to get to their end goals, hurting each other in the process even though neither of them wants to, but finding their way back because love really does win in the end if it's strong enough.

Overall, this was one of my favorite books of the year and I will 100% be reading more that Andie J. Christopher publishes.
Not a standout for me but the cover will make it an easy sell for my patrons, I enjoyed some of the dialogue and would be willing to try more by this author.
Very good, not very great.  I kind of thought that everything worked out to easy in the end.  But then again, I thought they were both stupid for not just being honest in the first place.  Neither of their plans was so heinous that they couldn't have just told one another, and still said they were falling for one another anyway!
This was my first Andie J. Christopher book and it did not disappoint! Although I was unsure of the "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" type plot, this turned out to be a really solid romance read. There were some really funny and really cute parts in it. I definitely recommend it and can't wait for her next book.
I’m kind of torn about my feelings for this book. I liked the premise of the story, but I also hated it. I had trouble reconciling the idea that Jack was a nice guy and had instant feelings for Hannah but still decided to go forth with his plan.

I understood Hannah’s reluctance to believe Jack could be for real but it also got on my nerves how negatively she viewed herself. Which is crazy because, the reality is, most of us do tend to be more hard on ourselves in real life.

I like both Hannah and Jack but I also felt like they were both a bit too much. I don’t know if it was my anxiety level on the day that I read this book or what but I felt frantic at times while reading this.

I’m torn because I feel like I don’t feel like there was anything that would prevent me from suggesting this book to anyone but there also doesn’t seem to be anything that would persuade me to either. This just feels like a simple case of this book not being for me.
Not the Girl You Marry is supposed to be a re-telling of the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. So, of course, I wanted to read it. Sadly, I don't think it met my expectations. There were parts I really liked and others were I thought: what was the author thinking!

Not the Girl You Marry's two main characters are Hannah Mayfield and Jack Nolan.

Hannah Mayfield is successful in her work but not in her love life. She has been hurt before. She has fallen in love before to later realized she's the type of girl a guy doesn't want to marry. Her last boyfriend didn't think she was good enough to walk down the aisle together. So when at work, she needs to play nice and as an event planner, organize the wedding of the year, she has to show that she understands love and romance. She must pretend to have a boyfriend who loves her in front of her boss.

Who wouldn't wish to have a world where more Jack Nolans are possible. Jack is super cute, nice and he has always tried to keep his girlfriends happy. Of course, due to a work situation and in hopes of a promotion, he will have to do the unthinkable. He would have to pretend to be a bastard and hurt his next girlfriend.

As a premise, I thought I was going to love it but despite me liking both characters, the situations they got themselves into were too far fetched for me.

Things that I liked included Hannah's self-discovery of her identity as a biracial woman. I liked that she realized she was worthy and a man didn't complete her. Other things I like about Hannah was her determination and loyalty to her friends. Jack's family was also an interesting one. I kept wondering if another family member could be the protagonist of another book.

Cliffhanger: No

3/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by Berkley Romancia via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
This one was definitely a reverse HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN TEN DAYS, and I really liked it! The relationship was cute and I loved their banter. This wasn't a favorite of mine by any means, but it was a great fluffy read and perfect for escapism enjoyment.
I really enjoyed this romance novel. It was sweet and different from most of the ones currently on the market. It did loose me a little bit however when the main conflict occurred but I stuck through to the end.

Jack and Hannah are both career driven individuals. Jack want's to stop being known as the how-to guide at a local magazine and start covering political pieces. Hannah wants to be VP at the event planning firm where she works but needs to prove she is lucky in love enough to plan weddings. The two meet unexpectedly and realize they can use each other to further their careers. But the romance begins to feel real and the two must decide if they actually want to be together.
I do love a good fake engagement trope. Enemies to lovers, fake dating, might as well steal my wallet because you know I’m buying. I’m a bit behind on my review, but I was able to read this while on break from school, and it was so cute! First off, I’m sold on this cover, and I love everything about it!

I enjoyed the plot line, fake dating ofc, but the two leads were so much fun! I enjoyed the two of them together, and enjoyed watching them fall in love for real (I mean don’t we all love that?)

I’m giving it 4 stars because at times I felt a bit distant from the narration. Maybe this is a personal problem, but there were moments where I couldn’t connect with the lead!
This is gender swapped retelling of How to Lose a Guy in 10 days, but this one lacked the chemistry and great execution that the movie had. Their first interaction for me was cringe worthy, but then as I realized what the plot was going to be I was more interested. I liked the middle of the book as they flirted and their "dates" but was off put by the beginning and then flat out didn't like the ending. I felt that he let her off the hook for her own part in lying to him entirely too easily. I won't get much farther into why because it would involve spoilers but I really didn't like how, after the lying was revealed, she was mad so he put in work trying to get her back but her lies seemed to not matter or have any consequences. The ending was rush and under realized which left a bad taste after I finished reading. It also ended on a sex scene instead of having that earlier in the story as romance books usually do which I thought was an odd choice to make and place to leave the reader at the end of a story.
A fun romantic comedy about two people who can't seem to find the right person and have been told by others that they won't - until they find each other. I found Andie J Christopher's writing to be funny, I loved Hannah. I also really appreciated Christopher sensitivity and inclusion of Hannah sense of displacement as a biracial woman. However, soon she finds her way with a diverse group of friends and its wonderful to see the love develop between Hannah and Jack. I would be friends with both of these people. Alas, fiction.