The Turn of the Key

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

I started this but was having trouble getting into it. I loved The Woman in Cabin 10. I will come back to it again later.
The Short of It:

I needed a book that I could not put down and this was it.

The Rest of It:

Nanny stories are quite popular. Add a supernatural element, difficult kids, weird parents and a big, spooky house and you have a winner. Now add technology. I mean, cameras, apps, smart refrigerators and TVs and you up the creep factor by 100%.

Rowan finds the nanny position of a lifetime. A high-paying, live-in gig that will take her to the beautiful Scottish moors. The house is unique. An old Victorian in the front, but the back half of the house is all gleaming and new, outfitted with the latest technology. At first, Rowan is impressed by this. Sandra and Bill, architects by trade, restored what they could but re-imagined the rest but all of its gadgetry proves to be a bit much for Rowan when she is immediately tasked with watching the children for ten days while the parents are at a business conference.

Did I mention that the last four nannies all left within a two-year period? Or that the house has a history of death and violence? Or that some in the town believe it to be haunted?

This was such a fun book to read. I was completely immersed and could not turn those pages fast enough. It’s sufficiently creepy and keeps you guessing with all its plot twists. The ending felt a tad rushed but overall, I really enjoyed this one and found it to be really entertaining and fun. I read it in one day. A work day, which should tell you something.
A serendipitous ad sends an unhappy young woman to a nanny position in a rural part of the UK. The pay is amazing, the children & parents friendly, the house lovely....what could go wrong?

In typical Ruth Ware fashion, all is not as it purports to be and as the story unfolds, readers are kept on the edge of their seats. This is exactly why we read Ruth Ware's books. The suspense builds slowly, although there are hints throughout that something is terribly wrong -- with the house, the parents, the children, or with Rowan (the nanny). I could not put this book down!

So why didn't I give it 5 stars or recommend it for "Library Reads"? Simply put, I thought the structure (format) was annoying and intrusive. The book is in the form of a letter to a barrister written by Rowan from prison. She's explaining why she is in jail accused of murder, and why she is innocent. I thought the letter format was forced and distracting. I don't mind flashbacks or first person narratives, but the "letter" passages took me out of the narrative. It seemed unnecessary. Additionally, the plot just seemed a bit like a bad horror movie. I can't really explain why I did not connect with the characters, but I found most of them tiresome.

There were some moments that captured my attention -- the technology in the house provided for some moments of humor and suspense. Jack, the handyman, added to Rowan's humanity and I hoped for more of a friendship/romance to develop there and there was potential there, but even that seemed to fall flat. Thankfully, the twists & turns in the plot kept the story pretty interesting.

Not a terrible way to pass the time -- I did finish the book -- but I was hoping for more.
Thanks to the publisher for the ARC.    I love Ruth Ware and was not disappointed by this book.   It is a great thriller where you are not sure which way it is going to go, which kept me turning the pages.  The characters are real, but yet you never fully know them, which helps bring the ending together.    I did not guess the ending, which for me is always the best payout for a thriller/suspense book.
WOW! Ruth Ware really knows how to bring a captivating story. She is very well known for her thrillers. This one is just as exciting with supernatural elements added in. I love the narration of the book.  We know that Rowan is already in Jail. She is writing a layer trying to prove her innocence. Through her telling we go back to her becoming a nanny and the history of the house and the spooky things that happen at the house.
I thought I had this book all figured out. And then I didn't. I am a fan of Ruth Ware. Her books are fast, tense, and captivating, and this story is now one of my favorites of hers.. All I can say is read it. You won't be sorry; but you will be surprised.
Ruth Ware doesn't dissapoint.
This newest book has great characters, and compelling storyline.
Do allot a night to reading, as it is hard to put down !
Like the classic The Shining by Stephen King (more specifically the hotel, The Overlook), the house took center stage for me in this book.  Is the house haunted?  Or is the old Victorian just creepy in looks alone? Or is it all the modern technology put in place to monitor activities in the house 24/7?
 In the beginning we know that the main character, Rowan, is a former nanny in prison for murdering one of the children in her care.  The book is in letter format - told from letters Rowan has written in prison to her attorney.  I loved this format and the story and the intrigue kept me reading all night until I was done!  Very good creep factor!
Thanks to Ruth Ware, Gallery Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this great book!
I listened to this book and what surprised me the most was that I didn’t think this book was a creepy or mysterious as I thought it would be. I was hoping for a good suspenseful story to listen to but I didn’t find that. I really enjoyed the story but I didn’t find it suspenseful, it was more action-packed with a few moments of mystery thrown in.

I thought that there were some really weird things about the house and the family to start with. We didn’t even need to add Rowan to the mix. What’s up with all those cameras and the audio in all those rooms? Can you not have any privacy? What are they afraid of? Then, the technology that supposed to make living in the house easier but seems like it’s overkill. I thought the family seemed a bit off. Did anyone find it strange that the parents left the kids, with their new nanny, on an extended amount of time, immediately after they hired her?  I was glad that I had the e-version of this book as there were some things that just didn't seem to be adding up and I thought I had missed something but as I read through the book, nope ......it was just strange.

I liked the character of Rowan as I thought her true personality came through when she needed it. I liked her determination yet she also had moments of uncertainty. I loved how the author wrote this novel. Important, unknown pieces of the story are fed to us readers throughout the novel as we follow Rowan along in her new nanny position.

I wanted more thrills and chills but in-all, it was a good read. I thought the last half of the book was really good. I’ll be looking out for Ruth’s book. 3.5 stars
I've read all of Ruth Ware's works. She continues to keep me interested and I intend on continuing to read her works.
This was an incredibly surprising thriller because it didn't feel like a thriller for a bulk of the novel. The reader could feel the tension building and that there was something wrong with the house, but you never knew what was truly wrong. This makes the double twist at the end that much more shocking for the reader, leaving one truly chilled to the bone. The Turn of the Key would be an incredible read for any thriller lover.
I received this book in exchange for a honest review from NetGalley.

This is the third of Ruth Ware's books that i have read and it is by far my favorite. I think she really knocked it out of the park with this one. It is creepy and unnerving and keeps you guessing till the very end. I loved the portrayal of the children and the smart house made me want to get rid of all of the smart objects in my home. Overall an excellent book and I highly recommend it.
Normally I am a big fan of Ruth Ware, but I just couldn't get into this book.  Some of the events strained credulity. Framed as a letter to her attorney that Rowan Caine writes from prison, she explains how she ended up in her position.  What  started as a dream job as a nanny in the highlands of Scotland in a futuristic home with often absent parents, ends up with Rowan accused of murdering one of her charges. The book is Gothic and atmospheric in a home that was the sight of the death of the previous owner's child. The home is high tech and seems to be acting out against Rowan and endangering the children in her care, one sweet younger daughter and a rebellious older one.  As Rowan explains, it wasn't just one thing that led to her predicament but a combination of things.
Ruth Ware has become one my absolute favorite authors for mystery and suspense. When I pick up one of her books, I know I am in for a satisfying, nail-biting read.

Rowan stumbles upon an ad for what seems like a dream job as a live-in nanny for a large family in a remote house. At the start of the story, we know that Rowan is in jail for a death that happened while she was with the family. As the story progresses, we are trying to work out what happened and who was at fault. We know Rowan has secrets, but is she a murderer? If she didn't do it, who did?

Ware is excellent at setting the scene. The 'smart house' that the family lives in is creepy; it is a strange mix of old and new, with confusing technologies that seem to work against you.

Like any of Ware's books, I highly recommend this one for anyone who enjoys an intelligent, gothic, nail-biter of a mystery.
I loved the idea of this book about a smart house gone kind of wrong.  It was so interesting to see the way technology both helped and hindered the characters throughout the book.  I wished there had been more focus on this.  While I enjoyed reading it, there were some points where I felt like it was dragging a little and wanted the tension to be a littler tighter throughout.  Overall it was another great, twisty read from Ruth Ware.
I would say that this would most likely be every nanny's nightmare. Ruth Ware delivers a deliciously riveting story that will put you on the edge of your seat with unexpected twists and turns. I loved every minute of this book. Ruth Ware is my new favorite murder mystery writer. Ware's writing is expertly done with a string of intensity thrown in for good measure. Read Ware's books. You will be pleasantly delighted. I have thankfully received this book via NetGalley and Gallery/Scout Press.
I really enjoy Ruth Ware's books.  She is suspenseful, and writing is well done with a nice, logical twist at the end.  This book is no exception.  I didn't guess the twist until close to the end.  I can't wait to read her next book.
The nanny position located in the isolated Scottish Highlands seems like an interesting enough position for Rowan Caine. The house, which is a sprawling old estate on the outside, is ultra-modern on the inside. Everything is "smart", everything can be controlled with a phone. In awe of her surroundings and the picture perfect family she is charged to mind, Rowan has no idea that this seemingly perfect setting will become a sinister and deadly nightmare. Gripping, disturbing, and shocking, this is another fantastic offering from Ruth Ware.
Oh, Ruth Ware. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading this. I've read every book so far by Ms. Ware, and in my mind, she is just an exceptional author. This book was so well-written, so suspenseful.... yes, occasionally it was a little slow,  but definitely no slower than other novels in this genre. I just adore Ruth Ware, and this is yet another title that solidifies her existence on my must-read list.
THE TURN OF THE KEY is the first book I read by Ruth Ware and this one was not necessarily for me. The story had potential, but it dragged on for quite some time without anything necessarily happening.  I was very intrigued at first waiting for the big twist, but the twist was okay.  I felt like there were a lot of loose ends left that had potential to make the story even better.  I was intrigued by the narrator telling the story from jail and most of the information was immediately released.  The drawn out letter to the legal advocate is what took away from the story in my opinion.  I can see this being an entertaining read, but it just was not for me.