The Art of Amen

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

The past few years have been the hardest season for me.  I've found my prayer life isn't as strong as it should be and when I started reading this book I wasn't expecting much. But God used the authors words to speak to me.  I truly loved this book and have already began a second reading. This book is honest, real and made me laugh and cry.  Loved it!!
I was immediately drawn in by the imagery that Catherine Bird creates while telling anecdotes throughout this book. She is completely relatable! The tips and Biblical truths in this book are phenomenal. Highly recommend for anyone who struggles with prayer!
Personal, spiritual, and beautiful. Catherine Bird writes about prayer humanly, honestly, and with humor. I enjoyed The Art of Amen as a believer and recommend this book widely. I appreciate Bird's use of her own family and history in the process of sharing.
Catherine Bird's "The Art of Amen" offers readers a fresh look at prayer--why we pray, how the Holy Spirit helps us pray, and how to pray in creative ways.  Starting with the idea that prayer can be "both relational and creative," Bird helps readers catch a vision for how to walk it out in everyday life.  Perhaps this line best sums up her approach to the book as she helps readers take their prayer lives to a deeper level:  "Prayer is our lifeline to our creator, a loving God, who longs for us to share with him in an easy, open, honest relationship."  While many see prayer as a daunting task, Bird helps readers embrace it as simply an ongoing relationship with the One who created them--not overly complicated, but something that deserves the investment of time and attention.

I like the fact that this isn't just a book to read, it's an experience.  Bird will have reader look up some Bible verses and write them down, answer some thought provoking questions, and try various creative ways to pray (Bible journaling, nature walks, crafting, praying aloud, among others).  On top of that, Bird's easy-going, friendly, transparent way of communicating helps readers see into her life and how, amidst challenges and joys and busyness, she has continued to seek God in prayer.  She helps readers grasp that this prayer thing--it is doable, and it is rewarding beyond measure.  It's practical, it's biblically based, and it will encourage the reader.  Bird even includes some traceables and coloring pages, and a great prayer-full playlist of songs.  Whether you're new to the idea of prayer as relationship or you're looking for ways to spice up your existing prayer life, The Art of Amen will not disappoint.  It's a winner!

Note:  I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for this honest review.  The opinions expressed are my own.
If you are like me, you have the best intentions to have a closer and more meaningful prayer life. No matter how good our intentions, somehow family, work or life gets in our way. Catherine Bird has written a wonderful book that is a must ride for people like us. This book will draw you into having a more fulfilling prayer life. Cat doesn't just talk about it. She gives us ideas to encourage us to try new ways to get in touch with the God who created us and wants to have a close intimate relationship with us. I loved her chapter on Bible Journaling. Using this method has made a huge difference in my prayer and Bible study time. You do not have to be an artist to express back to God your appreciation of his handy work. But speaking of artist, you will appreciate Cat's artwork throughout this beautiful book. I received a complementary copy of this book from  Abilene Christian University Press & Leafwood Publishers through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.