Cover Image: Shadow Frost

Shadow Frost

"Shadow Frost" was an interesting book, with good characters and a great writing style, Unfortunately, not much happens until the last 25% of the book. I wasn't shocked by anything that is revealed in the course of the story. However, the finale made me interested to pick up the sequel to see what happens.
I didn't originally know that this was a loose retelling of a fairytale. It's the best kept secret on Goodreads I've ever seen! Out of all the Snow White retellings I had been reading lately this by far is one my favorites. I liked the world, though the beginning felt complicated, I got used and invested into it. There were also quite a few characters, but they were all really well developed. My only critique is the character shifting throughout was a little hard to follow. We would be with one character's conscious and then shift to another without any awareness that it happened. The ending had a few twists that I wasn't anticipating.  I'm looking forward to the sequel!
I enjoyed the story but didn't like the characters and thus couldn't completely connect to the story but it's a good one overall.
I apologize for the delayed response. I did not particularly enjoy this book, and actually was unable to finish it. I am sure that many readers would really like it, but I was unable to really dive into the story..
I absolutely loved the story of this novel. It draws you in, and keeps you interested throughout the whole thing. Coco Ma also did a wonderful writing job, which delighted me. The thing I couldn't quite connect with was the characters. They felt predictable and I had a hard time getting invested in them.
This book gave me high expectations for a new series with elemental magic that seems to be lacking in the YA world. Unfortunately I was underwhelmed and it did not resonate the way I wanted. The MC Asterin, had me excited and expecting badassery like that of my favorite second in ToG with te same name but lacked all te luster to put her on top of my high expectation list. It was a solid 2.5-3 star read but i probably will not continue the series.
Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions in my review are my own.

This young adult fantasy story brought me to my knees. It captivated me instantly and I could not put it down. There is magic laced throughout this story and I loved it.

The world-building in this book was very thorough. The magic system in this book is element-based so it isn't the most original, but it worked and I enjoyed it. The author's writing style really makes everything more vibrant.

This book has such a compelling ensemble cast. The author makes you fall in love with each and every character. The characters have a lot of depth and I loved their distinct personalities. The author really brings them to life.

The romantic aspect of this book was very satisfying. The romance doesn't dominate or overwhelm the story but it adds to it.

Overall, this book is a breath of fresh air. This is an enchanting story with characters that fly off the pages and into your heart. I cannot wait to see where the story will lead in the next book in this series!
Shadow Frost was interesting, engaging, and written really well. I enjoyed it a lot and wouldn't mind reading it again.
Ambitious and intriguing, especially from a debut author, Shadow Frost hits upon several of my favourite things: broody boys, elemental magic, and sassy heroines. Unfortunately for me I feel as if it was trying to be a lot more than what it is, especially considering that what it is could have been exceptional. We sped through a bit of relationship development when it would have been nicer to take it a bit slower, and we got about a thousand twists to the story when perhaps there should have been fewer, more dramatic ones. Overall, a sold debut and I look forward to continuing the series.
3.5*
From a refreshing author Coco Ma, a graduate of Juilliard (ooooh!), comes such a light, easy, and entertaining read, with clear and logical plot development, captivating my attention until the very (hanging!) end. No, there’s no way you can read this as a stand-alone. You can try to resist picking up Book #2 (God Storm), but you’ll fail miserably, trust me. I marked God Storm as “Want-to-read” on my shelf right after I finished this one and then immediately searched NetGalley for a copy.

Shadow Frost is an exciting novel with a more fun feeling rather than thriller-y, mostly because the group members are so companionable. Like, honest to God ‘they could be your friends’ despite being fierce and experienced warriors. They flirt with each other too! Probably just like your real friends. The result is a mostly jolly atmosphere that clashes with the ominous task they’ve undertaken, which was hunting down a demon plaguing the Kingdom of Axaria. However, the book isn’t without its hold-your-breath moments, one of which was utilised near the end (and climax) of this instalment. It serves as an excellent development point of the book and its characters, abruptly changing the whole aura of the series.

Seasoned YA fantasy readers can probably tell that Shadow Frost is a debut, not because it was bad writing. In fact, it was excellent! I only say this due to the feeling I get from Coco Ma’s writing; The style feels like it has so much potential, in the way that it actually gives me the feeling of hopefulness and endless possibilities much like what I almost constantly felt at 18-19 years old. Apparently, I’m not alone in feeling this. Other words used to describe this effect in reviews I’ve read is ‘eager’, ‘hopeful’… Well, you get the idea. I truly feel optimistic about Coco Ma’s writing career.

One thing that has major room for improvement is the characters’ individualities. Considering the book utilises multiple POVs, I think it’s important for the characters to have more distinct voices. I kept having to reread the previous paragraphs because I missed who was talking and I can’t tell simply from the characters’ dialogues. In terms of their physical characteristics and backgrounds, the variety’s there but just not their inner voice or essence, so to speak.

Giddily (but patiently) waiting for the release of God Storm in October this year! I’m so glad book releases aren’t affected by the CoVid-19.

Content warning(s): Violence, death, explicit curses, physical & emotional child abuse
I ended up not finishing this book, it just wasn't for me.  There wasn't really anything wrong with it.  I just couldn't get into the magic system or the characters.
The first in a brilliant fantasy with epic characters--Asterin is a total badass! The romance was a bit dull but the ending was a huge shock. Loved loved loved! Coco's writing was beautiful and flowed so seamlessly! A great talent!
(Amazon would not allow me to post a review for some reason!)
This novel is one of the best I’ve read this year! The characters are so dynamic yet relatable. I loved the flow of the story. It held my attention the whole time.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read and review this title. I will review this title at a different date.
I absolutely hate it when I cant finish a book so I finished it.. I fell in love with this books cover, then the blurb sealed the deal for me. But this was just a disappointed read.
Actual rating 3.5 stars

This was a fun read!

There's demon hunting, elemental magic, swoons, banter, epic squad goals and it is full of cinnamon roll characters (and that was honestly my favorite part). ♥ Coco Ma gets creative building a world full of powerful queens and our heroine is following those footsteps as a fearless princess off to protect her kingdom.

This book also ends in a small cliffy which of course makes me want to pick up the sequel once it comes out.
This is a fantastic fantasy book with an intriguing plot, amazing characters, beautiful character dynamics and such exquisite writing!  This book deserves to be recognized because it brings a sharp uniqueness to the ya genre.  The plot twists were fantastic!
I am so amazed that a novel of this quality was written by someone so young. This had amazing rep, characters, banter, and action! I love the writing style, very accessible with hilarious banter. Highly recommend!
I absolutely loved this book! I loved the characters, the use of magic and the twisty story.
Asterin is firs in l, one to take the throne in a realm where magic is celebrated- all magics except shadow magic. Asterin her self can weld several types of magic and trains every day with her guardian. But one day two soldiers are sent from a nearby kingdom as a gift to the princes. At first distrustful, ASterin lets them become part of her guards and their loyalty is proven when they are chosen as part of a team to take out a demon that is killing Asterin's people. With her mother's blessing, she heads out with her closest and most deadly companions. But this quest isn't what Asterin expected and she finds here;f being tested in ways she never imagines.
I loved the way magic was used in this tale. Magic users had stones that allowed them to tap into their specific elements. some people could master elements such as air and water while other illusion and fire. Some people can only wild on type while others can manipulate them all. This allows the author to create a variety of characters who are all different and spell casting doesn't become dull and boring.
I enjoyed the characters. Coco Ma develops the majority of her characters. IN many books like this, only the most major characters get true development, but the secondary characters grow and move past any stereotypical archetype. Extra points for adding diversity into the characters.
Shadow Frost is full of fantasy action but never lets its characters suffer from a lack of development. I can't wait to find out what happens next!
I do remember enjoying this book but it wasn't a complete favourite. I struggled with the first half of the book. I remember thinking that even though things were happening, that it felt like nothing was happening at the same time. I do think that was just a thing for me personally.

The plot was fast paced and that was something I enjoyed. However, I do think some things were just quickly focused on and then moved on, without fleshing some things out. But again, I think that was just what I like in books to be honest. I think my major issue with the book was just so angsty it was, but not in a good way for me. I love some angst, don't get me wrong, but this level of teenage angst was just way too much. It felt like it was on every page I read and just constant.

I absolutely loved Asterin. She was such a strong, loyal, headstrong character. I think she was the main reason why I liked this book. I loved her with Quinlan, even if it did feel like a bit of a corny romance. But Quinlan was such a quirky yet haunted character, that I couldn't help but love him.

I will say though, Harry made this book for me. He was just such an amazing character. I feel like I can't give a lot away about his character because his role and type of change throughout the book is a rollercoaster. Plus Harry and Orion!!!!

I can't wait for the next book in the series, I'm intrigued to see where the story goes!

Thank you very much to Blackstone Publishing for providing me with a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.