I Spy the Boy Next Door

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2019

Mallory has very over protective parents but she is finally going to public school and given a bit of freedom. She has a crush on her neighbour and now she has a chance to meet him, the book is about her relationship with Troy. The book was a quick read and kept my attention!
This was a long drawn out novel with cliches and various levels of awkward. Ideal for those who just read Twilight style of reading material.

*Received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My review is my own.
Honestly, I didn't love this book. The whole spying on the neighbor thing was kind of creepy and made me uncomfortable. We would not think this was OK for a dude to do, so why is it OK for a girl. I won't be recommending this one -- sorry.
I thought this book was a cute, enjoyable read though it lacked that something more to keep you totally invested. It was cliché at times but that was to be expected for the usual high school setting. The writing was absolutely beautiful though.
This is one of those books that are a bit cliché, but will make your heart skip a beat. I really liked it, and although it won't leave a mark in me, it's a nice read when you want something light and fun.
Wow when I chose to read this book I expected it to be full of fluff but I absolutely enjoyed it. Girl spies on boy, girl is home schooled convinces her parents to let her go to public school. Boy sees girl. Sure the first half of the book was full of fluff and hate, but not really, to love. The second half though there are some amazing plot twists. I loved it!!!
YA isn’t typically my genre of choice but I received this book through NetGalley for an honest review so I thought I’d give it a go. Unfortunately, I Spy the Boy Next Door didn’t work for me. I truly feel this has more to do with my preferences than the story itself. The writing was done well and the story, although formulary, wasn’t bad it just isn’t enough to keep me invested.
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

Mallory Taylor has led a sheltered life since she was almost kidnapped when she was little.  Her mom home schools Mallory and and her brother, and now that Mallory is 17, she wants the chance to go to public high school while she still can.  Mallory has had a crush on her hot neighbor for 5 years, spying on him from her bedroom window, and hopes that public school will finally give her a chance to get to know him.  Troy Parker, however, seems angry to see Mallory at school and gives her the cold shoulder.  Every time Mallory thinks she needs to get over Troy, though, he shows a moment of compassion, and the cycle starts again.  When secrets are revealed, everything will change.

I would give this book 4.5 stars for the writing but only 2 for the plot.  Armstrong certainly has a way with words.  However, the first ¾ of the story had a lot of cliches, rather than feeling like a fleshed out story.  Then, the last quarter of the book veered off in another direction entirely, which was unexpected since you can't talk about it in the book's blurb without giving away the twist, and there was no foreshadowing earlier in the book; I didn't expect the genre change.  I would consider reading more books by this author since she does write so well.
*I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review*

I wrote an status update saying "why is this girl so stupid? and it basically sums this book up.
That said, the plot was alright and entertaining, so all in all, it wasn't as bad as I feared.
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

This book was so surprising. I'll admit that when I requested it on NetGalley, it was more of a cover lust request, and I wasn't entirely sure what it was about, but I felt it would be a cute contemporary read, but in reality, it was so much more! Mallory's parents have always been overprotected, and home-schooled her for as long as she can remember, but now she's managed to convince them to let her attend public school. Another selling point, at least for her, is that finally she'll be able to speak to her hot neighbour, Troy, who she's been spying on for the last 5 years. However, Troy doesn't seem to have any interest in getting to know her. Mallory isn't one to give up, however, and her persistence leads her to learn that there are other things at play, and Troy's main reason for not wanting to know her is because he's become resentful for her being the reason he had to move - but neither of them really know why that is. The chemistry between them is undeniable, and soon they fall for each other. I felt like their relationship was real, but neither character really held my attention too much, until we got towards the end, and the true backstory and history was revealed. There we got to see just why each of the main characters, and the other characters too - especially the parents - were acting the way that they were, and that pushed the book up to 4 stars. Some of the twists were expected, but the majority came out of the blue - for the most part everything was tied up, but some parts were dealt with so quickly, that I think a bit more of a lead up could've improved the book. All in all, an enjoyable and fast contemporary read.
A very YA book I enjoyed it nonetheless!

In the beginning, I thought it would be a casual, cute YA romance story. However, once the mystery started to kick in, I felt more intrigued and I couldn't stop reading. There are things I didn't guess and that's always a pleasant surprise when I read mystery books. Overall, if you are looking for a YA book to read, grab this one!
This book was okay. I loved the beginning – it was your typical YA romance story, full of drama, chemistry, and cuteness. I flew through the first half in about a day. Then an (surprisingly unexpected) twist happened, and I was so irritated that I put the book down and didn’t come back to it for a long time. I’m glad I did, because I did quite like how the book ended, but if you are looking for a typical light, fluffy romance, this might not be the book for you.
*** ARC graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ***

Not even gonna front...I put this book off because I wasn't sure it would live up to my expectations.

I was wrong.

I ended up really, really enjoying Mal and Troy's story. I will say that I was a little bit frustrated with it up until the very end when everything finally made sense. And then... *sigh* it was just so good. I'm afraid to say too much because I don't want to spoil anything for others, but if you like smart girls, hot young men and swoons galore...mixed in with a little mystery and intrigue, this book is most definitely for you.
I received a free copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
After being homeschooled all her life, Mallory goes to the public school. It's the perfect opportunity to make new friends. And to see, face to face, her hot neighbor. She has had a crush on him for years. She meets new people and she finds out painful truths.
I thought it was going to be a light book, easy to read. And I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm not going to spoil it for the readers, because one of the best things about this story is that the events are unexpected.
But, give it a try. You won't regret it!
Typical young adult drama.
It was interesting.
Would surely recommend.
Nothing new but readable.

Note: I received a free e-copy of the book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. Special thanks to the author and publisher for giving me a chance to read it.
There are not a lot of books that I do not finish, but I am sad to say that I stopped reading this book about 16% of the way in. I have been lucky enough to be given access to several ARCs that I need to read before their publication date, and this book is not exactly what I expected. I was thinking it would be a nice, cute contemporary YA book, but it took a dark turn part way in. There are hints of some conspiracy surrounding the love interest, who even though in high school is part of an underground fight club type thing. And the main character has been homeschooled since she was little because of an attempted kidnapping! I couldn't quite suspend my disbelief enough to finish the book. :(
I think this book took me by surprise in the best way possible! I was expecting a normal ya with two characters in a hate to love relationship and I was met by an anxious main character with panic attacks and a semi bad boy. This book had the vibes from "Beautiful disaster" but without all the problematic elements to it and I love that!
I Spy The Boy Next Door is a novel that combines elements of YA/NA into one. While I was reading, the book definitely had elements of each genre, and so I'm not sure how it's being marketed, but it definitely had a level of sexually-explicit detail that I see more in NA than YA. That being said, I usually enjoy both genres, however, there were aspects of I Spy The Boy Next Door I liked, and aspects I found harder to enjoy.

I think the strongest parts of this book are the relationships Mallory has with her friends; Evie, Jamie and Kaitlyn - to be honest, the scenes involving these characters were the most engaging for me. I think it was because they made Mal seem a lot more real, and as a character that existed outside of the context of the story. I would have loved more of this in the book.

A lot of the time, I found the plot and some main characters jarring, hard as I tried to enjoy it for what it was. In particular, her relationship with Troy Parker felt forced, and not as easy-going as it was with her other friends. I sort of wish the plot moved in a way that incorporated Troy and the later plot developments better, perhaps earlier, as I found the way their relationship changed so suddenly from obsession to love, somewhat difficult.

I think this book was ambitious and tried to do a lot of things at once. It could have been great with a better focus from the outset; sometimes simpler is better. I found the book harder to enjoy I think because there was a lack of clarity about what the book was trying to do/achieve/demonstrate through the plot, especially toward the end. We suddenly moved into some plot development that I felt came out of nowhere and could have been better foreshadowed with clearer direction in the plot.

I enjoyed the beginning of the book and in particular, Mal attending school and making new friends. I liked the incorporation of her issues with anxiety into Mal's character - I just wish the execution of the novel was clearer.

2.5/5 rounded up to 3 for reviewing purposes.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Overall I enjoyed this one. As a homeschooling mom, I could see some of the issues but man they really really overplay that social weirdness of homeschoolers. Seriously, that is rarely a thing. Anyway, I enjoyed the role switch between Troy and Mal and the character unveiling of his past and why he is as he is. I did see a bit of Travis Maddox in this character. I'm not sure if that is what the author was going for but it came through. I had some issues with the progression on all the action at the end...I get it but it was a bit sweet and soft for the entire beginning and then gets deep and dark and takes on a different theme really quickly.
3 stars
Cute, young story about Mallory Taylor has been homeschooled for all her life.It was a little younger than I usually like. But cute.