Cover Image: Ricochet

Ricochet

Meh.

Currently into the whole parallel worlds thing so finally picked this one up. It was admittedly a little disappointing. The book being split into four rotating chapters didn't give me room to actually get to know/like any of the Tatyana's I met aside from the first - but only because she was the first.

I think as well for a long time - half the book- there was no sense of danger/conflict so I was just reading about these four girls and wondering why they had the access to each other that they did.

When we finally got there the answer was underwhelming and had a sudden countdown attached to it.

The characters with similar names was cool albeit confusing from time to time and ultimately the whole thing felt very bite-sized/fragmented so I was never able to truly settle and get invested.
Rotating POV's can make a books pacing move quickly. With Ricochet there were 4 POVs and this at times did weigh the pacing especially with a more complex story and then getting into 4 peoples heads took time. However, once the story got going the pacing started to pick up. I do wish that it was more clear at the start of the chapter which timeline we were reading if it was past or present. This was a very unique and original take on parallel universes.
Ultimately could not get into this one, but the concept is absolutely fascinating. I think it's a case of it's just me, not the book. Thank you netgalley for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read and review this title. I will review this title at a different date.
I had a hard time with this book the characters ran together.  A characters had multiple nicknames which made it super confusing.
Ricochet was interesting. The beginning didn't grasp me but I pushed with it and I really, really enjoyed it.
I got through 10%, but the characters ran together and one of the characters had multiple nicknames which made it super confusing. The awkward prose ultimately made me stop reading. I like the idea behind it, but it fell flat for me.
This book was interesting.  It was the first that I read from this author.  I am hoping for book two. It was well written.
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher and netgalley. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Ricochet

Author: Katheryn Berla

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 2/5

Publication Date: October 8, 2019

Publisher: North Star Editions

Pages: 328

Recommended Age: 16+ (some violence, science stuff)

Synopsis: When seventeen-year-old Tati sends a saliva sample to a DNA ancestry testing site her results come back inconclusive. What’s wrong with her DNA? And what does it have to do with her unexplained seizures and the beckoning tunnel she sees during them?

What Tati discovers is more than she could have ever imagined possible. Parallel universes exist and her abnormal DNA compels and condemns Tati and her other selves—shy Ana—privileged Tatyana—and on-the-run Tanya, to a lifetime of ricocheting between their parallel lives in the multiverse.

With knowledge of their existence a deadly threat in every universe, the only chance all four have to survive is to work together to take down the scientist responsible: their father.

Review: I really like the premise of this book and I thought the characters were well developed and the world building was well done as well.

However, this book is confusing and the ending doesn't make sense to me. It was also slow and overall I had to downgrade my rating because of the ending.

Verdict: It wasn't for me.
The premise of this book was so interesting. It's about a girl and four different versions of herself from parallel universes, and how they work to take down their dad, who is responsible. With that being said, it was so very confusing, however, I enjoyed it. It was a definite page turner, The ending definitely was not expected and I don't know how to feel about it still.

Struggled to get into this book but stuck it out. It was decent enough but didn’t like the ending.
I have to say, that this book was so different than anything else I've read. I'm a huge fan of doppelgangers, clones, and alternate dimensions or parallel universes, so basically what I'm trying to say is this book was right up my alley, and I was really stoked to read it once I gave the description another view before actually starting it. Though I haven't read anything by the author before, this book has opened me up to them. I hope you love it as much as I did.

Beginning like any other young adult novel, it shows a couple of teenagers in young love. Tatiana and Priya are very close, though Priya's parents don't know about them because she's too scared to tell them. Tatiana is adopted to some beautifully created hippy parents that I would love to have gotten to know a little more of, but that's not important. She also has seizures, or me-zures as they're sometimes referred to. That's where it gets strange.

When she has those kind of episodes, it's like any other seizure, except that her brain doesn't react to it in scans, and there's a white tunnel that appears above her head that she feels mysteriously drawn to. What could it be? Well it turns out, that it's actually a portal to her other selves in parallel universes. Isn't that insane? I can't even imagine what that would be like, but I think that the book did a really amazing job of explaining it.

I loved this book for so many reasons. I know that usually teen books are for teens, but I've always been a fan of young adult fiction, and just because I'm not a teenager anymore doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly switch up on the genre, although I have integrated more kinds of books into my reading. The characters are super realistic, despite the crazy things that happen to them, and also some of them aren't American, which is just really cool to read about, seeing as Tatiana seems so American in her timeline.

Overall, I really think that this book is one I'm going to remember for a long time, and it's something I want other people to read. If you get a chance, I definitely recommend giving this book a chance, even if you don't think you'd like it. Who knows? You might be surprised. It was a solid length too, and I'm glad I got the chance to read it.

Thanks for reading!
(Radioactivebookreviews.wordpress.com)
Tati, Ana, Tatyana, and Tanya are the same girl, whose DNA was split to create them in multiverses by their father. This story had such potential, but the characters could have been more clearly differentiated from the beginning, the adoptive parents more credible (wealthy hippies?), and the ending less rushed to wrap it all up. Having said that, this is a unique perspective and Berla a good storyteller despite the flaws in execution. This book requires a good imagination and concentration. I received a digital copy from the publisher Flux through NetGalley.
Frankly, I don’t know what to think about this book.

The idea of multiple universes and DNA experiments was amazing. I really loved the different points of view and how different Tati, Ana, Tanya and Tatiana (variations of the same name) were and what each of them had to go through.

The blurb for «Ricochet» was masterfully crafted to attract the attention of Sci-Fi readers, but I don’t know if that was the right move. I really wanted more information about the DNA alterations, about the experiments, about her family, about everything, basically! Maybe, the author was restricted by the page count, but the story needed more details to make it a true Sci-Fi.
I was lucky enough to receive through Netgalley a booked called Ricochet by Kathryn Berla.  Ricochet can be described as a Young Adult Scifi.  The story tells of 4 girls by the names of Ana, Tatiana, Tanya and Tatyana who all have the same kind of seizures and there may be even more things they have in common but I don't want to spoil anything.  What I will say that it took me awhile to get into the story by that was purely due to the fact  that I don't normally read these kind of books but i did get into the story and would probably try another scifibook.  The only drawback of the book for me is that the ending was just a little flat especially when the last few chapters had quite a bit of danger and intrigue in them.  So for this reason I am giving Ricochet 3 Stars
The premise of Ricochet by Kathryn Berla was so intriguing that I didn't hesitate, grabbed the book and started reading straightaway.
There are four points of view, so it took me a bit of time to get used to the four narrators: Tati, Ana, Tanya, and Tatiana. The author clearly put a lot of effort into differentiating their worlds and their voices. In fact, I quickly found myself relating more to one of them than to the others! Two of the protagonists live in the US, having been adopted by American parents, although they do know that their origin is Russian. Overall, their life circumstances are fairly similar and you can concentrate on how the differences came about. The other two are much more connected to Russia. So you can say that the task of following the 4 different stories was slightly reduced by this coupling.
I love the idea of multiverse and how it was developed in this book. The story also touched on teenager-parent relationships, first love, trust issues, friends. At some point the pace became really fast and the story started bearing similarity to an action thriller with lots of chases and narrow escapes. This was the bit where I got confused and started wishing for fewer characters. I'm still not sure about the ending- I think it should have been told from the point of view of another protagonist, the one who was the most attached to the girls' father. The way it was, it felt less emotional, almost detached.
The cover is really beautiful and deserves a special mention. Overall, a quick read with varied characters and a lot of action.
Thank you to NetGalley and Flux for the review copy provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
One plot I will always want to read about is the multiverse, no matter the story or author I just absolutely adore this idea in novels. The premise of this book drew me n completely and I had such high hopes, which were not met at all.I was rather disappointed by the different parallel universes in this book as it made the plot so confusing to follow and I think it could have been done in a much cleaner way. Although each protagonist was meant to have had different experiences and a different life they all sounded exactly the same and it was hard to follow who was who.

Overall I was just really disappointed by my own expectations for this book because it features a theme I love.
The synopsis of this book reminds me of the TV show Orphan Black meet multi universe. Really enjoy the premise but at times I got confused with the character story and different storylines even though they have their names on each chapter to tell you who they are. Still confused at the ending.
Ricochet had so much potential that I am very sad to see it go. I wish there had been much more to the plot, much more to the characters, and much more to the story in all. Ricochet confused me several chapters in and I don’t think I ever left that confusion. I unfortunately had to leave this at about 47% DNF because I just could not continue on with the book. There were some bits of the book that were interesting such as when Tatiana wanted to find out more with her DNA and why she was having seizures her whole life but after that it fell flat.

I skipped ahead to the ending to see if there was truthfully anything I was missing by the end and I am very sad to say that there is and was not anything I missed.
Ricochet has a cool premise about a teenager doing an ancestry DNA test, and getting weird results. However, it follows this premise across four narrators who are slightly different versions of the same person. While it sounds awesome in theory, I don't think I have the attention span to continue reading every single thing happening four times.