The Enlightenment of Bees

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Aug 2019

I received an Advanced Reader Copy from and NetGalley for my unbiased opinion of the book. Mia West has somewhat unrealistic view how things really are in her life. When she gets almost proposed to and ends up breaking up with her longtime boyfriend, reality starts to set in. When she decides to try to become a modern-day Mother Theresa does real reality and change begin to happen within her. It takes coming back home due to grandmother’s poor health and a surprise visit from her aunt that motivated her so long ago, to help her find her true calling in life. I loved this book I couldn’t put it down and read it in less than 24 hours. It makes you believe that you can make your dreams a reality, whatever they end up turning out to be.
This novel is about a young woman named Mia who, when her relationship and job suddenly crumble, joins her roommate on a humanitarian mission funded by a new foundation. So it's a novel about a woman finding herself but with a twist, as it definitely focuses on finding purpose/meaning in life, not just a job and a relationship. The mix between the light contemporary women's fiction tone and the humanitarian angle with its depiction of slums and refugees was not always entirely successful, but it did make this book different and interesting, and I loved the line "your place in this world is the space where your greatest passion meets the world’s great pain." 3.5 stars.
What a great book, I really enjoyed this one!

I loved the characters, especially Mia’s grandma Nana Alice.
I loved the settings, especially the part set in Seattle which is one of my fave places.
I loved the way everything turned out in the end of this one.
And, I also loved how helping refugees was a theme in this one. That’s not something I’ve seen in any other books I’ve read and I found it really touching.
I definitely recommend this one, especially if you’re looking for a sweet feel good book with a happy ending. It was just delightful.
This story checked all of the boxes for me! It was easy to connect to the main character Mia West. The story starts out as Mia's future with the love of her life goes in a completely different direction than planned when she does not get the marriage proposal she was expecting. This leaves her heart broken and in search of her true purpose in life. Influences from her family lead her to feel that taking a global humanitarian mission  with her good friend Rosie is where she should be. There are some interesting characters along the way, including a rock star with a drug problem, the billionaire Lars, that funds the trip, and handsome Kia, who catches her attention from day one. There is much self discovery throughout the trip, as it becomes apparent that making a difference in the world is much more complicated than the service they are providing to children in Mumbai. The story takes an adventurous turn when the teams mission changes and they are flown in to aid a refugee camp in Hungary. Along the way Mia, Rosie and even Mia's ailing grandmother discover  new love. I like the fact that although this is a novel, many of the situations came from the authors own life experience.  It was so enjoyable that I hated to see it end. Thank you to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson Pub for the free ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Mia thinks she has her future mapped out, with a long term relationship, an apprenticeship at a bakery and family close by. All that comes to a halt when her boyfriend breaks up with her instead of proposing. Unsure what to do with her life Mia joins a humanitarian group and travels to Florida, Mumbai, and Hungary where she tries to figure out what she truly wants out of life.

Overall, I thought this was a solid sip your coffee on the front porch in the morning with a book kinda read. It was solid with the characters finally coming full circle at the end.
This book HITS THE SPOT!! It’s so refreshing!! ⁣
✅ plot moves quickly. ⁣
✅ I’m invested in the characters. ⁣
✅ great use of foreshadowing with just enough tension⁣
✅Believable dialogue. ⁣
✅ Interesting setting ⁣
⁣
I give it an A+! ⁣
————⁣
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.⁣
——⁣
#enlightenmentofbees #netgalley #reviewathon #bookshark #booksharks #bookstagram #booklove #summerreading
This is a well told coming of age story of a girl named Mia.  She thinks she has her life all planned out till changes happen that are out of her hands.  She, a friend, and others are chosen to travel to different places around the world for humanitarian work.  In the different places she is challenged with how we can find our place in this world helping others.  There is light, clean romance that develops.  Sweet story!
I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you  NetGalley and Thomas Nelson for this e-copy!
This book was so mesmerizing! I adored this coming of age novel and it had em stop to consider my own life choices.

Mia has her life mapped out. Perfect man, perfect future, perfect plan but tragedy has her unsure of what to do with her life.  She wants to make a difference in her world and takes part of an overseas humanitarian trip. She meets someone there who helps educate her on how to really make a difference and immerse herself in other's communities.

Thank you for this wonderful book!
This was a first book by this author and I loved the story!! I connected with these characters from the first page! A wonderful read
Rachel Linden is a wonderful storyteller, which is why I thoroughly enjoyed this delightful journey.  The author captures different places and cultures with wonderful descriptions which simply enhanced my reading experience.  In a realistic way, the main character seeks to find her place in the world and how she can make an impact.  I appreciate the hard lessons and honest realizations that she experiences along the way. The romantic struggle also involves discovery and was a nice touch.   The descriptions of the humanitarian work might make some feel a little uncomfortable, but perhaps will help in one’s own quest to discover a way to make a difference in our world.  I think that anyone who has found themselves on an unexpected journey will appreciate this book.  I was given a copy of this book by the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
3.5/5 stars

***I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I enjoyed this light romance that focused on the main character's life and personal choices while she ventured on a humanitarian trip around the world.

Synopsis
Mia thinks she has her life all figured out and it's amazing. All that changes in one day when she's dumped by her boyfriend of six years and loses her job she loves at the local bakery. Mia's best friend, Rosie, convinces her to go with her and take someone's place on a last minute  humanitarian trip around the world. Along the way she finds out things aren't always what they seem including what she thought her life should look like.

Pacing & Points of View
The overall pacing of this story was average and the story was told entirely from Mia's point of view. I read it in a few days and believe I could have easily read it in a day without distractions.

Characters
I really enjoyed reading Mia's story about self discovery and her journey throughout the world. There were a few side stories and characters that I wasn't completely interested in and I felt there was a little too much time spent wasted on the ex-boyfriend. I would have loved if those words could have been better used for more Mia and Kai scenes! The light soft romance between Mia and Kai were my favorite parts.

Overall
Overall, I really liked this drama filled, world traveling, and non-steamy sweet romance. It's a good read if you're looking for a lighter romance with all the feels and reminiscent of other stories of self discovery.

Thank you so much to NetGalley & the publisher Thomas Nelson for allowing me the opportunity to read this digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
MESMERIZING!

THE ENLIGHTENMENT OF BEES by Rachel Linden is mesmerizing! It is a meaningful, coming of age novel that will make you stop and consider your own life choices. I think most of us have struggled with the question of, “What can I do with my life that will truly make a difference in the world?” Linden tackles this question and paints a breathtaking story using beautiful word pictures to describe how quickly one’s life can change forever.

Mia has her life mapped out. Perfect man, perfect future, perfect plan ... until it all crashes in one fatal encounter. She has absolutely no idea what to do with her life. She desperately wants to make a difference in her world. She feels limited in her skills yet she loves to bake. Her biggest question is, “How can she change someone’s life through baking?” She is blessed with an opportunity to go on an overseas Humanitarian Trip. The trip is almost overwhelming. She finds herself thinking she is going to change the world but quickly realizes how limited her thinking has been. A coworker in India, Shreya, puts things in perspective for Mia with these comments:

“This is real life. If we want to help people, we cannot focus on their problems, on what we can see just on the outside, the garbage and poverty. We must enter into their lives, be a part of their community. That is where real change happens, person to person, day by day, when we live life together.”

Once Mia takes those words captive she begins to understand the big picture and slowly begins to see how to incorporate her unique gifts to help other people who are struggling in the world. The people she meets and the adventures she encounters will change the course of her life forever. Mia could not even fathom the “better things” that were waiting for her or how close they were from the beginning.

I was provided an ARC of this book by Harper Collins Publishing & NetGalley. The opinions expressed here are completely my own and without influence.
I had been hearing really positive things about this book so I was curious what the buzz was all about. After seeing the photos posted on social media for days on end, I decided didn't want to miss the opportunity to read it since I liked this authors work.

With a fantastic storyline and interesting characters, Ms. Linden takes her readers on a journey that quite frankly is thought provoking and admirable.  I had a great deal of respect for Mia, I mean she was expecting a marriage proposal from her longtime boyfriend but got a broken heart instead when he breaks up with her.  Did she languish for long?  No, she did not, she accompanies her friend on an around-the world humanitarian trip.

I'm sure that it is never easy to see first-hand the conditions the refuges experience but it's an important topic which makes me cry when I see something like this reported in the news.  Mia is on a journey of self discovery along the way as she tries to help those in need with her traveling companions.   I really liked the entire group and thought the author wrote each of them extremely well.  I also like the message of how the future doesn't always turn out the exactly as you planned but it can still be just as bright.

I received a complimentary copy of this book.  Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
26 year old Mia is a planner to a tea. She plans everything and she thinks she has her life sorted out quite nicely until the unthinkable happens. Because of this Mia needs to pick up the pieces of her broken future and find out who she truly is. This is a fun gem of a read. I highly recommend it.
A good summer read.  A little romance, some world travel and lots of self-discovery.
After being dumped mid-proposal, Mia decides to follow her dream and travel with a humanitarian group to do good in the world.  She quickly realizes that the work is not what she thought it would be and definitely not for her.  Now she has to rethink her whole life and what she really wants.
This sweet and earnest story captured my heart. I enjoyed traveling along with Mia as her journey twisted and turned across the world, and bringing her closer to happiness and love. It's nice to read a book for pure enjoyment, full of realistic characters, and a happy ending.
I wanted to read this book because it was set in Seattle and I thought bees would play have a major role in the storyline. It did have a wonderful tie to Seattle and the Pacific Northwest (Sequim), but the bees play a minor role … almost a forced afterthought. Don’t let that stop you from reading the book. The ‘about the author’ section states that Linden “enjoys creating stories about hope and courage with a hint of romance and a touch of whimsy.” I would say that she accomplished that with this book. It’s light and easy. A wonderful summertime read. A few of the characters are under-developed, but the overall sweetness of the story is enough to carry you on.

I lived in Seattle for a decade, and made many visits to the lavender farms of Sequim. I’m now creating my own little slice of heaven in Oklahoma, and have a fascination with bees. Seattle, bees, and so much more are the subjects of my blog at www.Patch405.com

I received an advance digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.
What a lovely afternoon's read.  The Enlightenment of Bees is a light, relatively easy read.  That is not to say it is  without substance though. Rachel Linden has created a really engaging three dimensional heroine, and I think many will find engaging and relatable.  I think that what I really appreciated was the ease with which Ms Linden made me familiar with the character and put me squarely in her corner.  The story of her choosing to pick herself up while helping others is never over sentimentalized.  The settings are vivid and well drawn, and the story itself compelling and entertaining. This is my first Rachel Linden, but definitely not my last!
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
This is a wonderful story about discovering your path and making the world a better place in the meantime. Linden writes with such beautiful description that readers can truly imagine being where Mia is, experiencing the things she is experiencing. This book has a smidgen of romance and humor sprinkled throughout, but the heart of the story is surprisingly deep. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel via NetGalley and courtesy of Thomas Nelson. All expressed opinions are my own.
Three words I would use to describe this book are inspiring, delightful, and meaningful. The Enlightenment of Bees caught my attention from the first page and held it until the very end!

The main character, Mia is unexpectedly dumped by her boyfriend and so begins her life-changing humanitarian adventure. Along with her roommate, Rosie, and a small slew of other characters, she travels around the world trying to make a difference and learning a lot about herself in the process.

One thing that needs to be mentioned about this book is how amazing the descriptions are. Rachel Linden has a way with words and you feel like you are right there in Mumbai and Hungary with the characters. The Enlightenment of Bees is a coming of age story that has a little bit of everything from romance to adventure and should immediately be added to your #tbr list!

** I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.