What She Never Said

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Sep 2019

I was unable to read and review the book by the publishing date due to other commitments.  I will update the review immediately upon completion of the book.  Thank you NetGalley and publisher.
# What She Never Said # Netgally #
When prop!e start dying at a retirement home it causes such a big concern especially as it's a gated community. So is it someone who !lives their or is it someone breaking in at nights. The only other possibilities are that someone is letting the perpetrator i in during the night. Either knowingly know what's going to happen of doesn't know a  well plotted pretty fast paced. Good storyline I we all a enjoable book the key down for me I worked out who was responsible. However not the reson wny. So that bit was worth waiting for
Being in the medical profession, I had a high interest in this book and it was very enjoyable.  The author creates realistic characters with everyday problems.  The plot was very well written and clipped along at a good pace.  I look forward to more of the series.
Many thanks to Thomas & Mercer and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own

This is second is a series but is fine read as a stand alone. It’s a book with a plot we’ve seen before. Sadly I didn’t like it that much, found it predictable and the main character annoying.
**WARNING - SPOILERS AT END**
What She Never Said is a gripping tale about a mother, a son, a serial killer, and many secrets. While I enjoyed this book for the themeatics and plot, I think it fell short on some aspects. Specifically, the timing for things was off (a son beginning college in mid September, days being listed for chapters, but not adding up to the time frames in previous chapters). I also felt like with the multiple POVs, I had no idea what was going on. Sometimes it was first person, sometimes third person, and along with that, the narrators switched as well.
That being said, the book was enjoyable and I liked the plot and the setting. Serenity Acres is a great name for an elderly care facility and I felt the author did a great job in describing the occupants, the staff, and the facility itself.
I didn't enjoy the ending - just felt like the author forced Zach and Carlyn to be together so he wasn't with Ruth...Zach didn't have to be with anyone at the end. And I felt like we should have heard from Zach's POV as well as Ruth's at the end, but we only heard from Ruth
1.5 Stars

The Angel of Death leaves a trail of death after every visit to guests in a retirement home,
It's up to Ruth Mosby, VP of operations at Serenity Acres, and her recently recruited neighbour Zach, to figure out the culprit behind the crimes.

This book didn't do it for me. The first half was engaging enough, but beyond that there was just too much going on, too much talking. Maybe it was the extent of the family drama which was off-setting the actual intended purpose, seeking the mystery. For this reason, I felt any sensation of thrills continuously dip. The ending also didn't exactly stir any sensation. I did however enjoy reading about characters in their later years, as this demographic isn't represented enough in literature.

Also I believe the big giveaway to the "Angel" was a description of their surroundings early on in the book... this could be edited out for keeping the mystery alive.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Thomas & Mercer publishers for a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
What She Never Said is the second book in the Santa Barbara Suspense series but it certainly isn't necessary to have read the first instalment beforehand. I mean who can resist such a sinister plot based at a care home for the elderly where patients are been hastily bumped off by a shadowy "angel of death". It has a cosy mystery type of atmosphere to it, which I enjoyed, and the fact that there are many threads to the plot makes the story fully-rounded. Where I felt a little let down was with the characterisation; the only character I felt was sufficiently developed was the "angel of death" and the rest of the cast were rather one-dimensional, cookie-cutter type individuals, unfortunately.

What kept me reading was wanting to know who and why these deaths were occurring so there is definitely a good build-up of suspense on the authors part. However, if you are one of those readers who requires a hero or likeable character to get behind this may not be for you; all of the cast are pretty much unlikeable from the outset. These type of books only serve to those up my belief that dying at home around people you can trust is the preferable way to go. There was also a few decent twists and turns which ratcheted up the tension towards the end of the book and it was a quick, easy and well-written read with the insidious nature of secrets and lies creeping out and coming back to haunt those who wish they could simply forget. Many thanks to Thomas & Mercer for an ARC.
This is my first read from this author. I enjoyed the book and the writing keep me glued to find out what happens. Serenity Acres is a retirement home for the wealthy in Santa Barbara. Ruth Mosby is the VP of Operations. When a new company buys Serenity things change. If you can't pay, you can't stay. When the residents start dying one after another it alarms Ruth. Along with all the talk from other residents about an angel. An Angel of Death or is it mercy? Ruth asks her neighbor Zach, an ex detective with whom she has history for help in investigating exactly what is going on at Serenity. Ruth has dark secrets of her own and Zach is a recovering alcoholic that suffers from trauma. I was a nurse for thirty two years so I really loved the medical thrill of this. It's compelling and a fast read. I really enjoyed it.
First off I want to say that while this is a second in a series it reads as a stand-alone because the setting is the reoccurring character here.

Never have I read a book so much where I spent the first third of the book wishing the murderer would kill the main character. Ruth is the single most unlikeable rule stickler annoying bitchy tattle tale I have ever read. Within the first chapter, she has called the council about someone’s fence being too tall by 3 inches, a dog being off the lead, and gotten a security guard fired because his tattoo pokes out briefly.

I get that part of this all is the trauma of her past making her a bit OCD about the rules but between her seemingly utter disregard for anyone else who isn’t her and her constant rants about Millenials made me want to throw the book in the fire multiple times.

The mystery and thriller part of this was pretty okay, especially the idea of a “serial killer” with buy-in from their victims. I found overall the plot of this aspect a bit see-through and obvious. Overall though the thriller plot seems wedged in between Ruth’s constant whining and complaining about how the world wasn’t fitting her perfect ideals anymore.

What was obvious though was the utter distaste of Millenials and under-researched ideals of how they act and what they are like. This felt like a book for boomers who love to hear that they are right in their belief that the world is going to shit thanks to Millenials.
Ruth Mosbey is VP of operations at an elite long term care facility where patients begin dying and mysterious pieces of paper are found at the scene. Is someone at the facility killing patients? Ruth and her neighbor, a former police officer who begins working at the facility are determined to find out.

I found What She Never Said to be a completely forgettable book with characters I could not identify with and didn’t really like. The story was well written but I found Ruth to be insufferable and judgmental while the other characters were just uninteresting to me.
An enjoyable, entertaining book.  I loved the characters, the setting, the suspense and the complicated relationships that the characters had.  It was a quick read that smoothly moved through the three narrators point of views.  Ruth is a VP of operations at a California retirement home.  She's somewhat quirky but that adds more enjoyment to the story.  She's the type that knows the rule book by memory and rather than confront an employee about bending the rules, she sends an anonymous note to their supervisor.  She's prim and proper and constantly aware of her public persona.  When several residents pass away and are found with pink post-it notes close to their bodies, Ruth hires her neighbor, Zach, a former police officer,  to be a security guard at the facility and to investigate the significance of the pink notes.  When the owners of the facility sell it to another company, many changes go in to effect.  One change concerns the residents who can no longer pay for their care, the destitutes, the previous owners allowed them to stay, the new owners say they have to leave.  When destitutes begin to pass away at an alarming rate, Ruth and Zach join forces to determine if they are being assisted to their final resting place.  Thank-you to Netgalley, Thomas & Mercer and Catharine Riggs for an ARC in exchange for a honest review.  Looking forward to more from this author
My first reaction "WOW" what a intriguing dark premise for a book.  I found myself unable to stop reading until its conclusion. The writing drew me in, the sub plot and charcters rich and well connected.  This was a unusual dark mystery that also can be a thriller at times.  I liked it and do recommend it for all who enjoy a darker mystery/thriller.

This is the story of a  nursing home and someone unknown affiliated with the home is  assisting the elderly die. The management is not concerned.   Ruth, the VP of Operations at Silent Acres ( what a pun on words !)  has seen to many suspicious deaths so she calls a retired detective friend and has him work the night shift. .Together they investigate and try to find the person responsible.

If you have a parent at a nursing home this may be to disturbing to you.   It is a different type of mystery with interesting charcters and a good plot.  Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the advance reading copy. My opinion is my own.
What She Never Said by Catharine Riggs is a story of Ruth Mosby is the VP of operations at Serenity Acres, a retirement home for the elderly. This is mainly a home for the affluent but they are told that if they run out of money that they can stay until the end. A new company takes over and does not want to carry out that promise.

When the book starts out, to me, Ruth is an unlikable character, kind of snarky but funny at the same time. Not to say that this is a funny story, but there is a bit of humor. Ruth has a next-door neighbor, Zach, an ex-detective, who lost his son and wife, and Ruth's son  Adam was involved when he was a little boy, but they have still remained friends.

There is a person at the retirement home that is the "Angel" who is assisting commit suicide. These people belong to the Goodnight Club. Ruth finds this disturbing and enlists Zach's assistance by giving him a job so he can assist in her investigation to find out who the "Angel" is.

Ruth has a daughter Alice, that she does not see very often and a son, Adam, who has a history of getting into trouble with the law. To try to keep him out of trouble she gets him a job at the retirement home also. But an employee who is also a drug dealer gets murdered and Adam is involved. Ruth does not believe that her son is a murderer so she is more determined to find out who is the killer.

Some other characters are Kai, who ends up as manager of the home after the new company takes over, Ruth coveted the job and was disappointed that she did not get it. There is Ember, an employee of the home, a free spirit. Also, there is Pastor Sam who admits that she assists in the suicides. But what about the people that can't pay? Who is killing them?

I enjoyed this story and read it in two days. Even though Ruth is a snarky character, I did like her. Zach, I felt sorry for because of the circumstances of his son's drowning and the death of his wife. He became a loner and a hoarder. The story is kind of scary as it tells a scenario that could conceivably happen, where people are eliminated because they can no longer pay for their care because their money has run out.

This book is the second in the Santa Barbara Suspense series. I like this one so much I will most likely read the first in the series. Great read!
What She Never Said kept me interested until the end. It was original, and well written. An excellent addition to the genre. I would recommend it to any fan of the genre.
In this day and age of people living longer than ever before but also they are getting diseases that can ravage their body but leave their minds intact, who really wants to live like that?  This story explores the idea of assisted suicide and the possible "slippery slope" it could lead to.  The characters were well written and most of them were endearing and had me rooting for them while I was hoping other characters got what was coming to them.  There was plenty of action, suspense, and twists to make you want to keep reading.  I voluntarily reviewed the advanced review copy of this book via NetGalley.
I am always looking for different settings for a murder mystery so the idea of this one taking place in a retirement community intrigued me. However, this book is more than just a murder mystery. Catharine Riggs has a real talent for creating characters with depth and flaws and allowing these characteristics to assist in driving the story line. The story is told from varying points of view with those of Ruth, the VP of Operations of Serenity Acres and Zach, a former detective, taking precedence.

These two characters share secrets from the past which affect their future and the futures of those around them. Weaved into that is the changes being made at the retirement community, along with the fact that people continue to turn up dead. Both main characters can be described as difficult at best. Most times, it is easy to pick a character or characters to root for. However, in this case, it is a bit more difficult. As the story line continues, secrets are revealed which allows the reader to have a better understanding of the characters, allowing for even more intrigue. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to review this book.
Ruth Mosby and Zach Richards have been friends and neighbors for more than 30 years. Zach bore witness to Ruth's divorce, her son's gradual decline into depression and drugs, and the tenuous relationship Ruth has had with her adult children. Ruth witnessed the tragic loss of Zach's only child, the death of his wife by suicide, his battle with alcoholism, and the eventual loss of his job with the local police department. The years have impacted them both in very different ways. Zach is relatively laid back and able to see all sides of an issue without prejudice. Ruth has become very rigid and structured in her life, adhering to the rules above all else. The one shining light in Ruth's life is her job at Serenity Acres, but now that seems to be in jeopardy when her boss retires, a coworker is promoted above her, the company is sold, and the elderly that were put in the company's care appear to be murdered by an "angel of mercy." Ruth is at a loss at how to deal with her new boss, the new company and their new rules, her son's reappearance in her life. Then Zach gets hired as security at Serenity and then talks her into getting her son, Adam, hired on to work in the kitchens. All seems well until another murder takes place and both Adam and Zach have something to hide. Can their secrets be any worse than the secret that Ruth and Zach have been hiding for years? Can Ruth and Zach protect their secrets, protect Adam, and uncover the identity of the "angel of mercy" before it's too late for them all?

I initially found What She Never Said by Catharine Riggs to be a bit of slow read or at least slow-paced read for me simply because it took me quite some time to get invested in the action and characters. Of course, I was also dealing with a series of migraine headaches at the time and my sleep patterns where completely out-of-whack, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not (we'll presume it did). This story is presented from the perspective of Ruth Mosby, Zach Richards, and the Angel. I rather enjoyed the chapters dealing with Zach and the Angel's perspectives but struggled with Ruth simply because I found her to be hyper-critical, judgmental, and not a very likable character. Normally that doesn't bother me, but for some reason, I had issues with Ruth. However, once I hit about the halfway point in the story, my reading seemed to pick up the pace and I began to empathize a bit with Ruth. She isn't a mean-spirited person, simply someone that's struggling with guilt and it manifests in a strange way - her rigidly adhering to the rules (trust me when you read the book, this will all make sense). There are so many themes discussed in this story, elder care, assisted suicide, drug addiction, the many facets and presentations of depression, family drama, workplace drama, and, of course, murder and suspense. After reading What She Never Said, which can be read as a stand-alone although it is part of a series, I've added What She Gave Away to my TBR list. I encourage you to add What She Never Said by Catharine Riggs to your TBR list, especially if you're a fan of suspense stories featuring family angst and drama.
Extremely long and boring, with a miniscule plot. The dialogue is good, but with changing POV and lack of content, reading this book is on par with watching TV.
What She Never Said is the second book in the Santa Barbara Suspense series but it can be read as a standalone with only minor spoilers for book one.

Going by the synopsis I thought I would love this book but sadly I didn't. Though part of a series called Santa Barbara Suspense it couldn't be less suspenseful. The plot is boring and super predictable (you can guess the villain and the secret they keep hinting at for 2/3 of the book practically from the beginning) and it has one of the most unlikeable cast of characters I've ever read. They go from annoying to insufferable and almost all of them take the most stupid decisions just for the sake of dragging the plot on and on and filling up some pages. Also, if I had have to read the word Fitbit one more time I would've thrown my Kindle against a wall.

After being dissappointed by both her books I can definitely say this author is not for me.

1.5⭐️
I really enjoyed this book and will definitely read more from this author.  The story centers around a retirement community built for the wealthy with a guarantee that they will be taken care of for life
With people living longer and longer there comes a point when greed takes precedence over promises and since this is a vulnerable population it is easy to see how Murder and mayhem follow.
For someone getting up in years it was a very sad book but I still recommend it because of its relevance and a natural curiosity.