Twelve Unending Summers

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Jun 2019

Although the author himself is really an impressive character and the story of his coming to America and becoming a citizen is indeed a story of sucess and persistance, I found the writing a bit confusing. It took me time to get through first few chapters and although I got caught up in it afterwards, I still feel like its missing someting.

Anyway, I reccomend it as a way to learn more about Haitian lifestyle and as a short insight in a immigrants way of life / story of a succes.

Thank you NetGalley for a free copy in exchange for my honest review
Twelve Undending Summers is a raw and honest memoir about being an immigrant, ending up having several identities and not quite fit into any of them. It's also a book about hope, courage and doing what you got to do in order to survive.
Twelve Unending Summers is a memoir by a Haitian-Bahamian-American man as he explores his tangled sense of identity and self. He discusses illegal immigration and being sent away from home and losing the most important people to you.

It's a very interesting read and it's actually quite short. There are a couple chapters near the beginning that drag a little but overall it's a moving memoir that's full to the brim of life.

(Thanks to NetGalley for giving me an advanced readers copy in return for an honest review.)
I found this profound and moving.  It felt a privilege to be able to read Josue's words.  Thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to read it!
I think this was fine, but the writing wasn't for me. The style was a bit spare/lacking, and the book felt like it didn't have a ton of momentum.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with this book to review.
This is a brilliant book, a memoir from a Haitian immigrant. Cholet Kelly Josue writes with passion and Twelve Unending Summers is relatable for any 1st or 2nd generation immigrant struggling with finding themselves. A recommended read for lovers of Malala Yousafzai's novel(s) and memoirs in general.
Thank you to NetGalley for the free review copy of this book.

“I had begun to entertain in my mind’s eye the notion that maybe, just maybe, amid America and the Bahamas and Haiti, I might create a home where I could totally, truly belong.”

Josue was born in the Bahamas, raised in Haiti, and sent to join his mother in the United States as a teenager. His memoir explores his search for identity and belonging, while navigating the complex education and immigration systems in the United States.

It is an inspiring story of human spirit and the importance of education. I liked learning more about Haitian culture, and I think the scenes of his childhood in Haiti were my favorite to read about. But they were also tinged with the sadness of being send away and later realizing the depth of the problems facing the country he loved. I thought it was interesting that Josue described writing this book as the start of journey to delve deeper into his past and his origins, having not been back to the Bahamas or his father’s ancestral lands in Haiti since childhood. Stories like Josue’s about the immigrant experience provide a valuable lens for social issues, and a reminder that human compassion can go long way.
I enjoyed Kelly Josue’s memoir because I learned about Haitian culture and pieces of the country’s history. I also learned about the Bahamas from the short time Josue was living there. I think it’s an important book for everyone to read and learn about what immigrants go through in the U.S. You can also read it to learn about how the U.S. affected Haiti’s history as well as how strong the Haitian people are after being put through so many changes throughout their history.
A raw honest look at what it means to be an immigrant to live in a country that is not your true birth home adapting learning to live find a place for yourself establish a life.This is an important book a book that will teach you compassion for those who escape to our country and then their struggle begins,#netgalley #authoritypublishing.
An eye opening read . I did enjoy this book, it’s well written and honest and raw.
Thank you to NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for my honest unbiased review
I received this review copy by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Netgalley.

“Those who have been given great gifts, also carry heavy burdens.”

Twelve unending summers : Memoir of an immigrant child by Dr. Cholet Kelly Josue, MD is a soul-stirring memoir of the author which will make the readers feel all the emotions he underwent, as he grew up. The cultural and emotional instability a child undergoes when exposed to different lifestyles and geographic regions has been written down-straightly from his heart. In the prologue the author poses a question “where do I belong?” Born in Bahamas to a Haitian parents and lived a life as an American, this question haunts the author throughout the course of his life. This is a no simple question, we all need a ground to be anchored to and a place to be called ours. Without knowing one’s identity, history and background living a life is impossible, this what the author has tried to divulge in this book and has also succeeded extraordinarily. It’s not a book only immigrants could relate to, it's not a book only Haitians could relate to. Once the reader reads the first page of the book he/she will immediately get transformed to the world of Cholet. Every unique cultural traditions and superstitions followed by the Haitians and local anecdotes was so enticing and I personally I loved those parts very much. The community in which Cholet grew up in Haiti was so wonderful. In today’s world every one of us are driven by ambition and self-centredness but in Haitian community everyone lived harmoniously together supporting each other shoulder to shoulder.

Certain sequences such leaving behind his childhood friends in Haiti, passing away of his parents were extremely heart-wrenching and moving. And the childish essence that the book has to offer has been captured and penned down beautifully. Throughout the book he has insisted about the importance of education in one’s life, how it has the power to transform a person from being a cipher to an achiever. His hunger for knowledge and soccer was inspiring and strikingly appreciable. Even though the life at America had to offer more downs than ups, Cholet had faced them bravely with hope spread all across his soul. The optimistic character of the author has what made him endure the unendurable. The last two chapters of the book were fast moving and electrifying, irrespective of the knowledge the readers have about the final note.

The epilogue was my personal favorite, it had so much to offer. I loved each and every word of it. On the whole it was a easy read, the language was simple and engaging. I finished it in one sitting, so you can assimilate how good the book is. And it’s one of the deep and moving memoirs you ever come across.

I seriously recommend this book to everyone because I learned a lot via this and it inspired me to look deeper into my roots too.

PS : I don’t read many biographies or memoirs but I seriously loved it and it's worth the read.
Twelve Unending Summers: Memoir of an Immigrant Child by Cholet Kelly Josue is a book that hit just the right spots for me. In the prologue, he posed the questions “Where did I fully belong? Where could I call home?” As a fellow immigrant that also came to the US as a teenager, his story really resonated with me. While I do not come from a country as poverty stricken and in shambles as he speaks about Haiti being, I understand some of the confusion he felt of being torn between different cultures.

“Out of that catastrophe emerged a question of identity that had been simmering inside me for decades, after having spent all my adult life thinking like an American, after having been assimilated into the American melting pot. Or maybe not so assimilated after all.” No matter what country you are from, I hazard a guess that the majority of immigrants in the US has felt this way at some point. If you are looking for a read that will bring back those memories or want to learn about the struggles that immigrants face in the US, this is the right book for you.

I really enjoyed how he spoke about the importance of education, culture, and finding your place in the world. This is the first book I have read since setting my goal of intentionally seeking out authors from different cultures and I am looking forward to reading more from him on his blog Brain Science.
This book tells the story of the struggles and difficulties that an immigrant has to face. Even trying to get into your country in the first place and every step their after. It will open your eyes to their struggles and the incredible amount of strength that they have all for the purpose of creating a better life for them. Deeply moving an beautifully written. Make sure you have tissues at hand.
Bahamian, Haitian- American author Cholet Kelly Josue novel Twelve Unending Summers: Memoir of an Immigrant Child was a read that hit home for me. I am a child of Haitian immigrants and the risk they took to come to the United States for better opportunity and a second chance in life is truly something.

Josue tells us his story of his Haitian/Bahamian upbringing, the loose of his parents, his arrival to a new world at the age of sixteen and his prostitute to live that “American Dream”. Although I was born and raised in the US, 80% of what Josue experienced here I dealt with and so have so many others.

This moving story will have you bringing out the tissues and inform you the struggles of immigrants and their decedents. Thank you, Netgalley Authority Publishing, for this copy in exchange for an honest review 4 out of 5.
The message that shines through Josue's memoir is the importance of education for young people and how, in giving this hope for the future, they can establish themselves of a firm grounding wherever they may be. Josue was born a British citizen in the Bahamas, but travelled with his Haitian parents back to Haiti at four years old. Another country, another language. Then at sixteen, and not of his own volition, he endured a rickety boat journey to Florida where, initially as an illegal immigrant, he had to find a way not only to survive but to blossom. Another country, another language. That Josue had the strength of character to persevere against many setbacks is inspiring. His search for his own cultural identity raises interesting questions especially for me having just read Bloom Where You Are Planted (a memoir in which transient expat Lasairiona McMaster assures readers that raising her son in various cultures will enable him to fit in everywhere.) Josue's life experience is of never feeling as though he totally fitted in anywhere.

Josue recounts a few episodes from his childhood in the Bahamas and mostly from Haiti. He also talks extensively about his fight to become a legal American citizen and the struggle to raise the ridiculously high sums needed for his education. Now fully qualified and practicing as a doctor, it is obvious the struggle was worthwhile. I was dismayed at how easily his skill and talent could have been lost though. To deny someone education purely on the grounds of their wealth (or lack of!) strikes me as ludicrous and the situation is just as bad here in the UK.

Josue has a engaging style and I enjoyed reading this memoir, especially where I was able to encounter cultures that are very different to my own. His explanations of the importance of superstition to Haitians were interesting as was learning this island nation's history. I would have actually liked Twelve Unending Summers to have been a longer book. I felt there was a lot more to say on the question of identity for example and some other episodes felt rushed. That said, I am very pleased to have had this opportunity to 'meet' Josue and to read about his life.
This book is a good reminder of what it is like to be an immigrant and to feel like an outsider. Josue uses descriptive writing and hot topics to hook the reader. This is a great summer read, and I highly recommend.
I received an arc of this book through netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book.

It was interesting to read about the life of the author but throughout the whole book I could just feel something was missing.

I wasn't fully emersed in the story and found myself browsing past a few parts and I think it was due to how the story was structured and layered out to read.

It was different and eye opening, reading about Haitian life and traditions and what some have to face when it comes to trying to travel abroad. Also how Chloet was trying to discover himself, trying to find an insight into who he is through living in America with his Haitian descent and birth, but also his life, from first going to America and his movement towards college.

I went into the book thinking it would be directly on finding out who he is but by the end I felt it didn't answer the question.
It left me wondering and slightly disappointed but it could have just been me and how I interpreted it compared to what he was actually trying to say.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley for this opportunity.

Dr. Cholet Kelly Josué, a Bahamian man of Haitian descent, pens this very personal memoir of his struggles to find his identity between his three "homes": Haiti, Bahamas, and the US.  He has spent a greater part of his life in the US where he completed his studies and continues to work full-time.

Josué carefully describes the racial tension that exists in the places he grew up.  Those in Haiti don't see him as a local native,  and he feels like an outsider at times.  The same goes for him in the Bahamas and America. The fundamental questions he asks himself is, "Where did I fully belong? Where could I call home?"

Although I couldn't fully relate to his story and wanted to learn more about these countries I wasn't intimately familiar with,  I found that at times he went into too much detail,  and his message became lost.  I found myself wanting to skim through sections of it when this occurred.

Overall,  I appreciated learning about Haitian culture, particularly the bit about planting the umbilical cord under the tree. I would recommend this story to someone who can better relate to his struggles and journey to America.
Dr. Josue is an especially earnest autobiographer, I really felt for him through all his travails and at this time in history it is so important that we listen to and learn about the experiences of undocumented illegals. As a bi-racial American born abroad, I can relate to Cholet's pleaful bid to find his true self. I am heartened by the fact that he has family with him in America, I hope they have all managed to get legalized somehow as well.

I do think this book would have been easier to read had some of the repetition been edited out. The timeline of Josue's having been born in the Bahamas, grown up in Haiti, and then become an adult in the US was made quite clear in the Prologue but was reiterated several times throughout, often as if it were new knowledge. I'm intrigued by his honesty and willingness to share details of his legal history,  and will read more of his literary explorations into the lands of his life that he's written about so lovingly in Twelve Unending Summers and promises more of in future, but I hope he'll opt to share more detail about his work in neuropsychiatry, his philanthropy, friends and family and maybe get out of his head a little bit next time. I think that would make him an even better story teller.
This was  a wonderful beautiful tie account of being an immigrant and not knowing were you belong and trying to find your identity just beautiful made me cry. Could relate having a disability it's hard when all people see is the disability. 4 out of 5 hope it does well.