The Speed of Falling Objects

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Nov 2019

I loved the atmosphere of this book and the gripping plot. The character development is phenomenal, and I could not put this book down.
A great book about finding your inner strength.  I think high school students will not only be engaged in this book, but just might learn what it means to know you can do anything you put your mind to.
The Speed of Falling Objects by Nancy Richardson Fischer is story about a young woman who suffered a tragic accident when she was a small girl.  The result of which, caused her to lose her eye along with all of her courage.
  After her accident, her parents get a divorce, and her father never comes around.  A week before her 17th birthday, Her absentee father calls to invite her on a once in a life time trip where she can play survival in the amazon rain forest.
  When tragedy strikes on the way to rain forest.  A result of which, forces her to face her demons and learn to trust in herself and realize that she is deeply capable of living a full and happy life, in spite of her disability.
  I really enjoyed this book.  I will admit that the first chapter or so was a little grating with how deeply insecure Danny was.  However, it was necessary to show her growth throughout the book.
   I felt that the author did a good job of showing the thoughts/insecurities of a teenage girl in high school.  She really showed how much Danny grew, and really began to see the world as it really was, not as she told herself it was.
Hi, yes, my name is Allie and I hate all forms of creepy crawlies. I also have a major fear of begin abandoned in crazy places, I would never ever sign up for Survivor or for COURGAR Warren’s survivalist show. Count me out. Reading about it though, I’m in for that.
For the past ten years Danger (Danny) Warren, ever since an accident left her with one eye, she has been scared of the world. In an attempt to prove herself to her estranged father, celebrity survivalist host Cougar Warren, Danny agrees to his offer of accompany him on a trip to the Amazon. When their plane crashes in the middle of Amzaon rain forest Danny, her father, and the others on their flight are forced to put their survival skills to the test without the comfort of help near by.
While the story line is fairly predictable (ie hello young adult love story) I really enjoyed it and read this book in less than 2 days. I was captivated by Fisher’s depictions of all the Amazon creepy crawlies and you can just tell she did an extreme amount of research on the Amazon and what lives there. Danny’s knowledge of medical cases and emergency medicine was also extremely well researched, and while I can’t tell you if all of it is correct because I’m no medical doctor, I definitely feel I learned a few tricks in case I’m ever in an emergency.
I also think the depictions of the relationships Danny has between her parents was really well put together. I feel a lot of teenagers go through similar instances and I could even picture my teenage self having some of the same thoughts Danny did. Granted my dad wasn’t a celebrity TV personality who abandoned me but ya get the picture. While Cougar made me roll my eyes more than once, Fisher was great at keeping him the same person even with his personal growth. There are too many stories that have ‘villian’ characters become completely new people and I just don’t think that’s realistic, so I really enjoyed Fisher’s consistency.
Basically Danger Danny is a badass, and I wish I was as smart as her when I was 17. If you are looking for a fast paced adventure where you don’t have to eat grubs yourself, then The Speed of Falling Objects is the perfect read for you. Get it HERE! Also huge thanks to the author Nancy Richardson Fischer for sending me a finished copy of the book and for creating this fun story where I got to lose myself in the Amazon for a bit.
This book made me oddly emotional. Yes, I was expecting a semi-survival plot in the amazon between a girl and her distant father, but this is so much more than that. This is about a girl finding herself and self love in (very) extreme situations. It's about and complex, almost toxic father/daughter relationship and how despite everything you can still see that person as good, that despite their toxic traits, they can show good deeds. It's deep and reflective and honestly something I didn't know I needed.
>Danny has spent so long trying to get to know her absent father, the famous survivalist tv personality Cougar. So when he invites her on his latest tv episodes in the amazon to celebrate her sixteenth birthday, she jumps at the chance. Never mind her mother is furious. Never mind it's really going to be her seventeenth birthday.

And then their plane crashes...

I wasn't sure what to expect from this story so I was pleasantly surprised by how deep the author examines her character's flaws and vulnerabilities. Danny lost her eye when she was young and since then, has been suffering from self esteem and inferiority complexes, specially about her absent father, one of the most famous men in the country. I really liked how nervous she was at first and how the circumstances really brought strength to Danny's character.

Cougar's growth was noticeable, though less drastic. I don't want to give anything away but I will say that the ending felt satisfying and real.

The only maybe slight flaw I have is with Gus, the teenage heartthrob on the trip. I understand there needed to be a little bit of romance for Danny, and sure, extreme situations will bring many different people closer. But I didn't feel any real chemistry between them so when the romance started happening, it seemed a little distracting

Overall though, this story was full of texture and feelings and honesty. I thought the story was intriguing enough for me to keep reading and the characters complex enough for me to imagine them next to me.
will be reading more of this author's work!
This novel was thrilling, entertaining, and action-packed. Filled with unexpected twists and turns, as well as exploring the honesty in relationships with parents and friends, I really enjoyed this wonderful YA. This courageous teenager with her complex life and incredible adventure in the Amazon forest, makes for a fast and flowing story. Thank you NetGalley, publisher and author. All opinions are my own.
The beginning of this book had me absolutely hooked. It starts out with a plane crash and leaves you  wanting to know more. It was a super fast paced and action packed read. BUT there were some super problematic things throughout the book that knocked my rating down from a solid 4 to a 3 stars.

I wouldn't say I felt connected to our MC Danny, but I was super interested in the survivalist aspect of the story. Also the writing was very good in terms of description. I felt like I was really in the rain forest seeing all the deadly animals & insects and being in the midst of the sticky jungle. The writing was so visceral.

The last 15% of the book too a downhill turn for me. Character development felt a bit shunted, other developments progressed too quickly and felt unwarranted, and the ending wrapped up in a way that didn't feel satisfying enough for the conclusion of such an epic story. This is a very subjective feeling, but I think that things could have been wrapped up with a little more time given to flesh things out.

If the ending hadn't ruined my last feelings towards the book I may have been more inclined to give this a 4 stars. I will be happy to check out more of this author's stuff though because the writing is very good and she really knows how to write intense action scenes!

TW: Gore and death
What a fantastic book. This is a survivalist story based in the Amazon jungle, so first lets touch on the world building. I felt at times like I was in the jungle with them. This imagery was clear and beautifully laid out. I loved the main character and the little bit of romance that we get, however I HATED the main characters father. What a terrible man, I love when an author can make me hate  a fictional character.  I read this in one sitting and enjoyed myself.

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.
I would love to see this adapted to the big screen!  Danger Danielle Warren (Danny) has lived her whole life with her mom.  Her dad is a famous survivalist with an international tv show.  She doesn't know much about her dad except what she's seen in TV and she's spent very little time with him.  For her birthday, he calls and invites her to travel to the Amazon Rain forest with him as he films his next show.  Danny agrees, not knowing what she signed up for.  The airplane her and the crew were on crashes in the rain forest, and the rest of the story is non-stop action as they struggle to survive.  The creatures of the rain forest are vividly portrayed and horrifying as well.  Coming of age story, includes first love and realizing your parents aren't perfect.  I really enjoyed it for the non-stop action.
I enjoyed this book, though I felt parts were pretty predictable. Overall, the adventure present in the story and the relationships between the characters will make this a popular choice with my students.
As with most books on NetGalley, this book is a great read. Captivating and intriguing. Thematically beautiful. Gorgeous writing.
DNF @ 52%
I wanted so bad to like this book and was so excited that I was given the opportunity to read this novel in exchange for my honest review earlier this year. Unfortunately things didn't go as planned. When I first started the novel a few months ago, I had a hard time connecting to the main characters as well as the plot line (this bad boy takes off slooowww). But I put it down as I thought it was just me and I wasn't in the right mood to read this.

That was a lie.

I picked this one back up again this week, and even borrowed the audiobook to see if it will help get me through the slow portions of the novel. To some extent it did, and I got farther that way than the other, but I still could not for the life of me get through the rest of the novel. I have some questions/thoughts on the disability rep within this novel, as our main character is partially blind; as well as I couldn't connect to her as an individual on any level. Her father I wanted to choke. From the amount I read, no one felt authentic and because of that I felt a huge disconnect from the overarching story.

Maybe it gets better later down the road, I'm unsure, to which I wouldn't deter anyone from picking up this book and giving it a go! But as for me, this one is sitting back on the shelf for someone else to give it love as I wasn't the right person.

Thanks to the publisher for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review!
I adored this book! It is a survival story with heart. The only thing I would change would be to make it longer so that we can see more character development.
The Speed of Falling Objects by Nancy Richardson is an incredible young adult adventure book.  After I read this book I gave it 4/5 stars.  Two day of thinking about this book, over and over, I bumped it up to 5/5 stars.  Any book that makes me relive parts of it, deserves high rating.  This book tells the story about a young lady turning 17 who is afraid of everything after losing her eye when she was young.  Desperately wanting to get her father's approval agrees to go on a trip to the Amazon rain forest.  This book is full of everything, action, romance, and family dynamics.  I will definitely be reading more books by this author.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and the publisher. Thank you.
Danny, sixteen about to be seventeen, lives with her mom. Her dad is famous but she has little to no relationship with him because he is too busy as a survivalist TV star; her relationship with him consists of watching all of his shows on TV. When her dad calls to invite her to be on his next survivalist show, she hastily accepts. But, the plane crashes, lives are lost, and they are faced with the true wilderness. Danny begins to see her dad for who he truly is, but can she forgive him? Sacrifices are made in order to survive, but does that mean sacrificing human decency? While the group struggles to survive in the Amazon wild, they also struggle to cope with each other.

Family resentment and forgiveness is celebrated through Danny's tale of survival. She battles the ghosts of her parents decisions: Did her mom keep her from having a relationship with her dad? Why didn't her dad try harder to see her and form a meaningful relationship with her?

The beginning is mostly about the background relationship between Danny, her mom, and her dad until 24%. Because of this, the beginning was slow. Danny's dad had little to no redeeming qualities throughout the entire story. Danny wants to be part of his life so bad, and wants to be accepted by him for who she is. Manipulative and egotistical, I did not like him and he is a major character. Without him though, Danny could not experience the growth she had in the end. I did enjoy the constant reminder of how manipulated the world we live in is; the insurmountable negation of our natural world even to the state of death itself is echoed in this novel.

This is a **small spoiler**, but important to read because it concerns sex education. Towards the end, Danny decides to give her virginity to Gus, the famous hot movie star on the trip with them. Gus has told her before that he has had sex with more than 15 women. The morning after Danny and Gus have sex, Danny makes it clear that they were "safe" and she explains that they were safe meaning that no unwanted babies were conceived. This either means A. Gus had a condom on him after being stranded in the wild, trudging the swamps, etc. -or- B. he pulled out. I am going to assume B since all Danny makes sure that readers know is that no babies will be birthed. I thought this inclusion was poorly executed because there was absolutely no mention of protection against STD's. (This was not factored into my "star" rating, but I did want to mention it in my review.)

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy. Opinions are my own.
Danny is a 16 year old girl who wants her her non existent  father's love. When he offers her the trip of a lifetime to the Peruvian rain forest, she jumps at the chance to go. Danny's father Cougar is a tv star that goes to remote locations and does survival shows. Danny was involved in a childhood accident when she lost her left eye so her mom doesn't want her to go on the trip with her dad. When their plane goes down the survivors must do everything in their power to survive in the rain forest. This is a story of survival! I loved Danny!! She is strong but vulnerable and she made for the perfect heroine!!! I would love a sequel with the characters in real life and see how they are doing now!!! I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
This was a fast-paced, exciting read that offered a lot more depth and thoughtfulness than I originally expected. I was intrigued by an adventure story featuring a TV survival personality and his estranged daughter. That's unique enough for me to be excited to read it and high-interest enough for it to appeal to my teen readers.

I didn't expect the story to be quite as high-stakes (more character deaths than I anticipated), but I found it to be better for those details. A real survival story is not likely to end cleanly with little fallout. Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked Danny as a character and how much growth she experienced on the trip. This was a coming-of-age story, but it didn't follow a clear and easy path. The romance between Danny and Gus was fairly predictable, but that path was also nicely varied from some traditional tropes.

I have already purchased several copies of this book for my high school library and expect it to be popular with my students.
This was one I was checking out for my students and I have to say that I would highly recommend it. Quite an intense read and one I will be purchasing for my library.
Need a new book to fall in love with? Step out of your reading comfort zone, and pick up something completely different, that something being this book. I couldn't wait to check this out, and I'm so thankful I got the chance to, because it's quickly become one of my new favourites. Although, could I expect anything less from author Nancy Richardson Fischer?

The story begins with a girl suspended in an airplane seat upside down, somewhere in a tree in the rain forest. Someone is dead and bleeding above her, which is just a crazy intro to Danger Danielle Warren's life. Four days prior, she was just another high school student, dissecting a pig in a classroom. She likes that kind of stuff because it's clean, controlled and everything is in it's place. And who wouldn't like that? After her dad left to become a celebrity, that's what she needed; everything in it's place.

Something I always love about the author's writing, is that all the characters are so unique and have really rich backstories. They're really believable as real people, and really interesting people at that. It helps the story move along and suck you into it.  Every twist and turn was completely surprising.

Danny's life turns around when her dad, Cougar, calls one night when her and her mother are having dinner. He says they're going to go on a trip together in the rainforest, and she feels stoked and relieved that she doesn't have to talk about university with her mom anymore. But her mom has other thoughts on the matter. She doesn't want her to go, and tries to force her to stay home, which only drives a wedge between the two. But I don't think anyone could have guessed what really happened on that trip.

My favourite quote from the book has to be "You know what happens when you take your hand out of a bucket of water? It doesn't leave a hole, the water level just goes down a little." It's just so interesting and haunting at the same time, I don't want to forget about it.

If this is something that you think you'd be interested, let me say that you absolutely have to read it. Not only is it a story of a broken family, but a strong female lead who is forced to work with people she barely knows in a wilderness survival situation. While I was reading this book, I was so into it that I could imagine everything that was happening, and that's not something that's easy to do for me. I wasn't confused about anything, and all of my questions were answered at the end of the story. Like I said above, it's definitely one of my new favourites, and I'm extremely happy to have it on my shelf. And I hope you like it too.

Thanks for reading!