Cover Image: Kingdom Cold

Kingdom Cold

Apologies for the very late review, I thought I had posted my review but it is only upon checking my netgalley account that I realised it never sent.

I loved everything about this book; the world, the characters and the way it kept me guessing! I look forward to seeing more from Chenelle
The first few chapters of this book were so promising! Unfortunately, the rest of the book was really lacklustre - shallow characters it was impossible to get into the minds of, and each of them rotated incredibly short viewpoint chapters. These were all written in the first person, but without any real distinction between the voices, so I constantly lost track of who was taking as it changed so often. This also made it hard to keep track of the plot, which definitely got farfetched towards the end. Not one for me - two stars.
DNF
I just couldn’t get into this book no matter how hard I tried!
I think it’s more to do with me as I’ve heard good things about this book.
Hopefully I’ll try it again in the future and change my mind!
*SPOILERS*
I quite liked this story! Don’t get me wrong, it was entirely predictable, I mean if a princess who doesn’t want to get married, shoots an arrow at her prince, doesn’t then fall for him, then the fantasy genre is all wrong. It was a nice easy enjoyable read that I finished in one sitting. The characters were well written, the storyline was enticing and the settings were great. It had ruling kingdoms, sword fighting, handsome princes’ all fighting for the love of one princess, what else could you want in a fantasy romance?

I’m really glad the story is told from various perspectives, mainly Young and Charlotte which really helped bring their character to light, although I felt the author could have spent a bit more time with them, they had enough emotion to bring purpose, but I wanted a bit more, particularly from Charlotte. She started off as a very emotional teenager who simply just wanted to be a teenager and explore outside the walls of her castle, instead she is forced into a marriage to help her kingdom ally in the war against the Drethen. It’s easy to see why she is the way she is, but when she is forced into the war outside her castle, her character becomes emotionally detached. It’s unclear where she stands and who she truly feels anything for which is off putting. She’s killed people, become separated from her family not knowing whether they are dead or alive, pushes through her once uncontrollable emotions to keep a level head around Emmett and who knows what she really thinks/ feels when it comes to Young and his brother Minseo. Even when she finally gets what she wants, you still feel like the passion and determination has gone, leaving her to just fill her role in her position within the kingdom.

‘The moment I saw Young, all the power I’d felt moments ago melted away. I was a blood-splattered princess standing amidst a murder scene, one I’d starred in. My gaze met his, and I searched for the horror I felt, in his dark eyes, but couldn’t find it. He exhaled relief and I felt the sudden pull of my body towards him as I breathed it in. I couldn’t discern how he could look upon me with such reprieve. He was my cage, my captor, the death of my freedom, but in one kind glance, in my darkest hour, he granted me a modicum of comfort.’

Young was interesting, I really liked the build up with his character. You knew where he stood with his loyalties and even his emotions being a closed off character. The way he watched Charlotte without constraint and felt a need to protect her, even when he was replaced. I really liked the way he reacted around his brother, the only person who seemed to really see Young for who he was. He was determined and strong in just the right way, whilst also being refreshing and trustworthy which made him easy to love. He’s a simple character in that he knew what he wanted and followed his intuition, even when looking death in the face.

The additional characters were a great aspect to the story, Milly, Charlotte’s servant, brought out unexpected emotions and purpose to the main characters, friendship, jealousy and betrayal. Minseo, Young’s brother was great, his carefree, relaxed disposition brought a new dynamic to the pair although you don’t get chance to see more of his character develop in that sense. Minseo is determined to make sure Young was set up in his new kingdom, even when the war started, he stuck with his brother every step of the way, that is, until he started developing feelings for Charlotte. My own feelings for Minseo died then and I lost interest which is a shame because he had so much potential.

Overall I thought the story was quick paced and a good story for a young adult audience which I’m sure will be able to appreciate the simplicity.
As with most books on NetGalley, this book is a great read. Captivating and intriguing. Thematically beautiful. Gorgeous writing.
An very entertaining read. I had fun reading it but I wanted something more to make this a 5 star read. Sill, I enjoyed it and I think fans of the genre will too.
Actual Rating: 2.5/5

This had so much untapped potential. The premise got me to read it, so that's something.

We have Princess Charlotte of Besmium, who is 16 and having a major teen tantrum over being married off to Prince Young of Vires, aged 17/18. Young is from the far East Kingdoms, where Besmium is (assumed) from a European Kingdom.

A product of this tantrum, is that Charlotte tries to kill Young on his arrival to her castle. Not very polite, nope. (And not a spoiler, it's in the synopsis.) Che also goes on to continue to act foolishly in hopes that Young will not want to marry her, and he will turn and go back to Vires.

Alas, the morning they are to be wed, the kingdom and castle is attacked by a neighbouring kingdom they have been at war with for a while. Young takes Charlotte and her Lady's Maid - Milly, on a few days journey to the kingdom's southern castle. To what they believe, is safety. That would be a big nope.

Enter Prince Emmett. Is he friend or foe?

Young is about the only character I truly liked throughout the whole of the story. I did start liking Charlotte more towards the end when she really grows into her own, and the weight of the reality of her world comes crashing down on her.

I found the writing to be somewhat simplistic and a tad juvenile. There were some great descriptive moments in there, and some witty banter. I do very much encourage Brittni to continue writing.

Though I am rating this low, I may continue with the series (if the chance presents itself), as I do find a small curiosity as to what happens next, and to see how Brittni's writing improves over the course of her second novel.

Potential Trigger/Content Warning:
Loss of a loved one, and grief, are dealt with. War. Treachery. Possible Sexual misconduct.
This was a very enjoyable fantasy read!

Kingdom Cold was a novel I finished in less than a day. It was fast paced, and despite being quite short, there was a lot of character development from beginning to end.

Despite being primarily a romance novel, there was a lot of character deaths, which is something I did not expect.

I absolutely loved the characters dynamic and shipped all the couples that got together. Ultimately, my favorite part was how there wasn't a love triangle, despite it being heavily hinted.

While I loved the plot, I was a little put off by how the characters spoke in a contemporary style despite this being a fantasy novel. Besides the writing style, I truly enjoyed reading this novel!

Ps. The ending absolutely crushed me and I did NOT see that coming!
Loved this one. Loved the characters and the way their feelings towards each other kept growing right until the end. Charlotte was such a strong female lead which is always great to see. Had lots of action and had me hooked from the start. Looking forward to the next one.
I reallllllllly tried to read this book but I cannot finish it. The writing is a bit juvenile for me and the fact that the princess is flighty is on my nerves. I mean in my mind as a royal you know what is expected of you and at the very beginning she is throwing a temper tantrum about being betrothed to a prince and then the next thing you know she is shooting an arrow at him to kill him. Then when she meets him in person she wants him?? I can’t
I wasn’t sure how to rate this book so I went in the middle with 3 stars. The first half of the plot was good and I found myself wanting to know what would happen next. However, the main characters became so annoying that towards the end I didn’t even care about the plot as I didn’t care what happened to them. Not even the twists (which I managed to guess) could keep me interested in the end. I just wish I liked the characters more
Kingdom cold had problems with writing. The premise was amazing and Brittni even managed to bring a big twist to show it different from the usual fantasy.

The pace wasn't fast. And the writing didn't work with me at all.

I thank NetGalley for providing me with the review copy in exchange of my honest opinion.
Kingdom Cold was interesting, unique, and breathtaking. It was something I could read and read again, with how much is in this book and it was written beautifully.
This is a fun read if you enjoy stories about battles, adventures and politics with a touch of romance. The plot was compelling, the characters were interesting and the writing was good. I enjoyed the romance in this story, it was not the only aspect but it was beautiful.
In summary, this book deals with sixteen year old Charlotte having to deal with an attack on her kingdom and an impromptu engagement. We get to see her rise up and do what she must to save her country, including trusting the prince she so badly despised in the beginning.

When I first read the premise of this book, I was incredibly excited to read it because it sounded like a fun, fast paced read. In this aspect, I have to admit the book delivered because it was quite fast paced and a fairly entertaining read. I liked the overall progression for Charlotte and Young's characters and I liked how their relationship progressed and flourished throughout the entire book.

However, I felt like this book didn't live up to its full potential. In my opinion, it was incredibly repetitive and I didn't really empathize with any of the main characters. If anything, I disliked them the majority of the time because they just couldn't make up their minds about anything, starting with who loved who. This was a huge problem for me because it seemed like they all were in love with one another but with no other explanation than 'we've been spending a lot of time together'.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read but I wouldn't go into it expecting the best epic fantasy of the year. If you're looking for a fast paced, short read full of romance, then this book is definitely for you.
Charlotte is the princess of Besmium and she's being forced into a marriage to Prince Young of Vires. To say she's not happy about it would be an understatement. Soon marriage becomes the least of Charlotte's problems when her kingdom is besieged on all sides. Now she must rely on Prince Young to keep her safe, and to help navigate the political upheaval to come.

What drew me to this story was the plot about a princess being married against her will. There are so many amazing books that begin with this premise. Sadly, this was not one of them. The story suffered from a lack of cohesive thought. The characters and plot line was so scrambled it was hard to keep track of. There was so many twists and turns that the story became congested and convoluted. Kingdom Cold suffered from a lack of a clear plot. I enjoy a good plot twist, but some of them seemed tossed in without a thought, and had no relevance to the overall story. Perhaps, this is a set up to the other two books to come.

The saving grace of Kingdom Cold is Prince Young. He was a strong character, who stayed true throughout. He was honest, kind, and morally upstanding. Charlotte on the other hand was a disaster. Prince Young sums her up best. "...a spoiled, selfish, little princess who had already crossed enough unforgivable lines in the brief time he'd been in Besmium." He doesn't even know the half of it. She's 16, and doesn't want to be forced into marriage, which is completely understandable. Charlotte throws tantrums, goes on a hunger strike for about a mili-second, tries to run away without any thought or plan, and tries to kill her betrothed with a single arrow. This is all just within the first few chapters. Admittedly, she does get better as the story goes on, but she continues to be wishy-washy, and just not a character I could connect with.

I received this ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

With so much going wrong in the book, I actually found myself enjoying the underlying story arc. I think Kingdom Cold could have been made better with heavy editing geared towards a concise plot line.
This is a very very tame game of thrones type story. There is an arranged marriage, battles, backstabbing, and a whole lot of other stuff going down. For me this was just a bit too much going on. I couldn't get fully into the characters but I did enjoy the amount of diversity that was shown.
although it has not been able to tie with the Ma in characther, the plot is interesting. it reads quickly and is very pleasant
This was a quick read, Some sections of this book were good, some were weird. I had to kind of gloss over some parts. The twists were a nice element, some of them were even unexpected and I felt as though I could predict most of the plot points in this book. In a nutshell; Princess Charlotte was to marry Prince Young for the security of the kingdom, but they were attacked, her father was captured, she escaped with Young, met Emmett, came back to the kingdom. From there,  she was   to marry Emmett and Young was imprisoned. His brother saved him, Young later married Charlotte and his brother too fell in love with her after knowing about the marriage. That was pretty wild! Anyways....

Friends became foes, and foes suddenly started to like each other. The characters made me want to rip my hair out. They were young and spoiled. All of them unrealistically fell in love at first sight.. Princess Charlotte couldn't decide till the wedding whom she liked as she was shown attracted to every prince who made an appearance. Only in the end did she finally mature. Prince Young made the most effort,, but being surrounded the rest of the cast, he only play his part in all of it.

The trade of chapters were ambit overwhelming, as there sometimes felt like there were too many,, it got confusing in the middle. I had to go back many times and reread the narrative title to keep the character in mind. The writing was too modern for the chosen era, and that was a bit confusing.

It wasn’t the worst read, but definitely wasn’t the best.
First of all, thank you for the e-ARC!

The first sentence of the synopsis drew me in hard. "Attempted murder, that’s how sixteen-year-old Princess Charlotte's engagement starts." I mean it has attempted murder, engagement, and a princess. What else could I want?

Princess Charlotte is a spoiled brat at the beginning of the story and I won't lie, it almost made me stop reading. I felt that I would never be able to read a whole book where the main character is someone I hate. But she grew up over the course of the book and I actually started enjoying her character. Young is an interesting character than I enjoyed learning about. He opens up slowly over the course of the book which I found to be a good balance to Charlotte's character.

The secondary characters were a little flat at times and sometimes seemed to do things that didn't seem like something they would actually do. I wish they had been developed more. But this may be coming in the next book(s).

I enjoyed the romance aspect of the book the most, but the political intrigue was a nice touch. The twists and turns kept me fully invested and not trusting ANYONE. Although I enjoyed the ending, I felt that it was a bit rushed. If it would have taken a bit more time to allow things to play out, I may have ranked it a little higher.

Overall, I did enjoy reading Kingdom Cold and will most likely be reading the next book in the series.