Cover Image: Ada and the Number-Crunching Machine

Ada and the Number-Crunching Machine

I love a good biography that is aimed at the elementary crowd. Ada Lovelace had a boom of biographies, but I enjoyed this one just as much as the others I have read. I love using books like this with my lessons.
We adore this book! We named our daughter after Ada Lovelace and wanted a book that we could use to teach her about her namesake. This book is lovely and is perfect for just that. It is written very well and is very interesting.
This is a non-fiction book about the life of Ada Lovelace.

Ada’s mum likes maths and her dad loves poetry. Encouraged by her mum, Ada too, develops a liking  for maths and problem-solving. Much later, she meets inventor, Charles Babbage and they work together developing a machine that led to the computer as we know it today.

The wonderful illustrations, in Ada and the Number-Crunching Machine, by Rachel Katstaller really complement the text and I am sure both adults and small children will delight in this book as much as I did!

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from North South Books via NetGalley at my request, and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
What a gorgeous & educational book about the smart & innovative Ada Lovelace.

I've read several children's/young adult books on Lovelace, but this one is, hands down, my favorite. The text was simple, but informative & correct. The illustrations, also simple - yet so beautiful in that simplicity.

I recommend this book above all the others out there when it comes to Ms. Lovelace. Do yourself a favor and pick this up to read to your children or in your classroom.
A awesome children’s book that engages children to learn about ada and encourages girls to step out of the box and follow their passions despite the norm.
I learned a lot about Ada Lovelace and I felt very strongly for her parents and the education she received. I loved that she was let free to read and learn anything she wanted and think on her own.
I would love to get a paper version of this book to read to my daughters, so they know they can be smart and curious and overcome any glass ceiling people will try to put on their way.
Girls are incredible! Thank you Ms Tucker for this beautiful and inspiring book!
I read an English, Kindle version of this book. Well it's my second children book on a Kindle and it's a mess, children book need to be read with double pages.
I received a copy of the book in exchange for an earnest review.
Picture book biographies can sometimes oversimplify a person's life, especially glossing over the more negative aspects. Tucker certainly doesn't take that route. We're told how Ada inherited negative personality traits from both her parents. She's described as moody and short tempered. But we also see how her determination and mathematical mind lead her to take a vague description for a calculating machine and develop a programing language to achieve that goal, drawing up designs and figuring out logistics. A great choice for a young reader needing a little inspiration.
'Ada and the Number-Crunching Machine' with words by Zoe Tucker and art by Rachel Katstaller is a picture book about a young girl who liked inventing things.

The book shows us Ada Lovelace as a young girl, who liked things normal children like, plus numbers and solving problems.  Since she was female in a time when girls weren't allowed to go to school, she had to find education another way.  One of Ada's friends had an idea for a new machine and Ada thought of a way to program it.  It was considered the first computer.

The book finishes by telling more about Ada Lovelace and how she continues to inspire people.  There is even a programming language named after her.

The story is fine and written well.  The illustrations were cute too.  I like the supplemental material included.

I received a review copy of this ebook from North South Books Inc. and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
This is a very well written and approachable picture book biography. My only complaint is that these biography series in general would branch into lesser known figures.
This is a quick little read, packed full of great STEM history along with Ada Lovelace carrying the way as a strong female character.  While reading this with my son and daughter, both of whom love STEM, they were highly intrigued to learn more about Ada’s background, her literary famous father (which my English teacher’s heart happily taught them more!), as well as the time period! It’s beautiful how a scientific-based text opened so many conversations with my children about Ada’s connections and reach beyond technology and our world today. I highly recommend this text to anyone with children that love to read and are interested in learning more about strong females in STEM. I cannot wait until this releases so my children and my classroom can have a copy!
This is a great book for the young reader that loves learning. The illustrations are charming. I didn't know about Ada Lovelace, so enjoyed learning something new.
Ada and the Number-Crunching Machine by Zoe Tucker tells the remarkable true story of a young girl who, without any formal education, created the world's first computer program.

Ada Lovelace, the daughter of Lord Byron, had always been fascinated by the inner workings of machines.  Incredibly, without any training beyond her voracious reading and curiosity, she was able to achieve what was previously unfathomable, adding to Charles Babbage's proposal of an analytical engine, and laying the foundation for the modern computer.

This is an incredibly motivating story that is told in such a way that it is accessible, educational, and entertaining for even the youngest of children.  Beautifully illustrated and with such an inspiring message, particularly for young girls, this book should be a mainstay on every school library shelf.

Many thanks to NetGalley and North South Books Inc. for this informative and delightful ARC.
This is a delightful book full of fun facts about Ada Lovelace. The pictures are darling. My 3 daughters loved this book and highly recommend it!
I loved this little book. I have a science degree and I never knew about Ada Lovelace! I will be buying a copy for my niece as this is the kind of books we need right now that showcase and celebrate the achievements of girls and women.
I like this book also because I'm a fan of Ada. This brilliant woman is not so known as some other scientists, but she deserves some more credit for her work and achievements. Great children's graphic book. I would recommend for all young girls to own a copy.
This is a good one to have in a younger classroom for girls to be encouraged to think about STEM activities being for them too, not only boys can build computers & be interested in maths.

The illustrations were beautiful too.
This was adorable! It gave information on Ada and explained her love of learning in a neat and lively way. I enjoyed the artwork in this book so much and the last blurbs about her and Charles Babbage were neat.
Fabulous book. Zoë Tucker I believe may have been the first person to write a children's book about Ada. The story was captivating, and the illustrations were gorgeous. Ada's story is a fantastic one to read to young girls, especially when we so direly need more women in computer science. Excellent read, beautifully written, and something I must have on my shelf for my daughter!
This book is adorable! I loved the illustrations. Ada Lovelace is an amazing example for girls to look to and this book tells them just that. The story of Ada and her invention is a story every child needs to hear and this book is a great first biography for them to read.
I love books that make me think about their subject days or weeks after having finished them. Although a children's book, it made me want to look for more information about Ada and the number-crunching machine she helped invent. This is the kind of book I prefer to buy for my children or give as gifts to others.
We have read about Ada's story in another book, but I find this one better. I also liked the illustrations; for a small child, the captivating pictures are a must.
Thank you to Net Galley for providing me with an e-book copy in exchange for my honest review!