Who Says You're Dead?

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Oct 2019

An interesting format: each chapter has a brief (fictional) scenario--such as a domestic abuse victim asking a doctor to remove injury information from the electronic medical record because her abuser has friends who work at the hospital and the information might get back to him--and a "reflection" on the ethical dilemma presented by the scenario.

I was expecting more of an in-depth exploration of moral and ethical issues in medicine, which this is not, but this book has several dozen interesting topics for thought and discussion. It's reminiscent of a dinner party icebreaker books, with various questions to get guests talking, and could be used similarly in a classroom or even a business setting.
I would recommend this book for anybody considering the medical field, or people who enjoy playing "armchair doctor" whether while watching medical shows (reality-based or not). If you think an issue wasn't featured in enough detail, the last 10% or so of the book does contain citations for further reading. Some typographical/print issues I had in my arc:
Loc 556 - "scares" should be "scarce" (how to allocate scarce organs)
Loc 757 - Tex needs a liver but this page says "Should Tex be able to 'jump the line' and solicit a heart in this way?" It should state liver, not heart.
Loc 1221 - Missing particle "In scenario"
Loc 1889 - "[Italics added]" But I didn't see italics in my ARC
Loc 1937 - Missing quotation mark, "We certainly don't tell them that they are going to die"
Loc 2119 - "Copenhagenbased" needs to be separated with a dash
Loc 2624 - Headline not capitalized, "cry, baby's corpse mistakenly buried with twins"

Who Says You're Dead? brings the most challenging and unsettling ethics controversies from contemporary science and medicine to the proverbial water cooler. Drawing upon the author’s two decades teaching medical ethics at America’s top universities and medical schools and his work as a practising psychiatrist, this innovative book asks readers, when faced with complex, unsettling scenarios readers,

What would you do?
- Is it ethical for an insured woman to pose as her uninsured twin in order to obtain life-saving medical attention for her?
- A couple wants a deaf baby and is willing to pursue this via medical technology but should this be allowed?;
- A young man wants to donate a kidney to his father, but a tissue match reveals that he is actually not the biological son. Should this information be revealed to either father or son?;
- A mentally disabled man says no to a medical procedure that could save the life of his brother. Should he be forced?

Some cases are pulled from today’s headlines, others loosely based on cases reported in professional journals. A few, painstakingly disguised, come from the author’s own clinical encounters.  Every scenario is followed by a brief reflection of how various modern thought leaders (ethicists, philosophers, courts, political commentators, research scientists and medical professionals) have addressed the underlying issues.

In a society in which much of the public views many hot button ethical issues in stark, black and white terms, the scenarios in Who Says You're Dead? are designed to defy easy answers and to stimulate thought. It’s impossible to read just one.

This was a fascinating read: a bit salacious, a bit scandalous, a bit "WTF" and worth a million conversations with family, friends or book clubs over what one can do and should be allowed to do. Each chapter was a story into itself (my husband who works in an emergency room is now reading it and I am sure that our upcoming 18hour  each way drive / road trip will be peppered with conversations about the stories in this book.

The stories presented were factual yet fascinating to the average reader and this would be a great book club pick as Dr. Appel's writing is appealing to everyone with a pulse or a family or medical issues.  So, everyone would and could and should enjoy this book. He has actually written a number of books o medical ethics that I look forward to reading on my own time (I ordered copies of them from Amazon last night): I am now hooked on his books!!!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millenials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it, to keep the doctor away, 🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎