There Will Come a Darkness

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Sep 2019

I kept waiting for this book to live up to the hype, and it definitely did not. The writing is not great, and every character constantly explains what they are doing to other characters. It’s a fast read because all characters do is talk, but the story is so focused on the plot that I didn’t care about any of these people. Plus, way too many narrators. Obstacles and mysteries are introduced and resolved on the same page. Despite being leaders, princes, and murderers, this group of characters seemed young and immature, and each one was so bad at what they did. Hassan, an exiled prince who is arguably the main character of this story, is annoying, weak, and incapable. He’s supposed to lead his people against his oppressors, and his plans are hastily put together and rely upon people he’s just met. It makes no sense. Don’t even get me started on his love interest. The Pale Hand, who is supposed to be this amazingly competent murderer, is duped, trapped, and has an annoying guilt which made her uninteresting as a character. She murders to save her sister, but spends most of her time whining about it. She should have been written as a sociopath or something. Jude is terrible, Anton is annoying, and Beru is hardly in the story. I truly don’t get why people like this book.
This book really packed a punch! I'm not sure what I was expecting but I was very pleasantly surprised with how this story hit the ground running and never stopped. The characters are interesting and I had fun getting to know their personalities and how they interact with everyone around them. Really happy I requested this one from Netgalley!
5 out of 5 stars. Incredible characters, solid plot, excellent pacing (didn't drag) and ending was not what I expected, which was great. Highly recommend!
Actual rating:  4.5 stars

Wow! Wow! Wow!  WHAT A DEBUT!

Katy Rose Pool’s writing is phenomenal — poised and fluent and thoroughly enjoyable.  I was completely invested from the first page, and although I had to (ugh, adulting!), I didn’t want to put this book down!

There Will Come a Darkness is a beast!  This book is a solid start to the Age of Darkness series, offering vivid world-building and introducing readers to a great cast of characters with interesting back stories.  There are 5 POVs that were a smidge overwhelming at times, but Pool truly did a spectacular job interweaving their stories.

The plot is fascinating and rich and brooding and I just want more!  There’s a lot of corruption and betrayal which lends to an overarching dark theme.  I was living for the magic, political intrigue, and fierce relationships that were driving the narrative — I’m also kind of a sucker for the whole prophetic storyline thing!

The characters are ridiculously intriguing and well developed.  “A prince exiled from his kingdom.  A ruthless killer known as the Pale Hand.  A once-faithful leader torn between his duty and his heart.  A reckless gambler with the power to find anything or anyone.  And a dying girl on the verge of giving up.”  Yea, it didn’t take much to sell me on this one.

Overall, I highly recommend There Will Come a Darkness.  It gave me vibes from a lot of faves like Graceling, The Smoke Thieves, and Falling Kingdoms, so I know a lot of YA Fantasy fans will enjoy it.  I am very much impressed with Katy Rose Pool and can’t wait to see what book 2 has in store for us!

*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy of this book.  Please note that it, in no way, had an effect on my opinion or review.
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, going by the other reviews so far, but meh. MEH! The idea that this is like "Graceling" is just insulting - the only similarity with that book is that people have 'graces' that are like little bits of magical powers, but I felt like they were a bit more Garth-Nix-Abhorsen powers, but no comparison to that amazing amazing series. And there is hardly any power-having in this book. It's all battle and betrayal and fight and scrap and remember-that-time drama. Boring.

If you like "Game of Thrones" or twisty ruler-take-over-kingdom-drama with a heck of a lot of violence akin to religious persecution and The Crusades, then go crazy on this book. It's for you. If you like first-in-series books to drop you off a cliff because "we called it #1..." then sure, go for it ... This INFURIATES ME, p.s. - I mean, if you're going to bother to write a book, it's a for sure cop-out to do the drop-off-a-cliff ending, especially in the first effing book. I'd understand moreso in the 2nd-of-3 b/c that's the sad life of the middle book, but the FIRST ONE?! Seriously? You can't even bother to end it and provide a hint at another book, you have to just cut it off as if you are saving some of your limited story-words for another book? Ugh.

I repeat, MEH.

I loved the title, but I really did not enjoy this ride.
This was one of my most anticipated books of the year and it did not disappoint. It did start off with so much information and a lot of characters were thrown at you. But once you get into the book and get to know the characters a bit more you'll fall in love. This was a quick and very enjoyable read. If you want a quick fantasy fix go ahead and pick this one up.

I definitely think I'll be in the minority on this one. I don't know what it was about this book that made me feel ambivalent towards it, so it's going to be hard for me to write out my thoughts in a concise manner. Everything about this book pointed towards me loving it; a group of misfits, outcasts, whatever you want to call them, in whose hands rests the fate of the world; a beautiful, distinctive writing style; lush worldbuilding. Everything I've just mentioned is a huge plus and is true about this novel! However, I ultimately think it came down to my inability to feel emotionally invested or connected to these characters. For the most part, they didn't really distinguish themselves from each other and I just never felt them. I'm sure many people will love this story, and I don't want to deter anyone from picking it up because I think it has everything that constitutes a hit. This book and I just didn't have chemistry, and that's okay.

Thank you to Henry Holt and Co. and NetGalley for the eARC.
Yes! This is how a book like this should be executed! We are introduced to major players in an un-annoying fashion, and quickly get backstory on what pertains to the story IN THE MOMENT WE ARE IN without unnecessary filler.

We have prophecies, doom, love, death, and somewhere in the midst of it all--hope.

Let's first talk about prophecies-this one was clever and kind of open to interpretation and not fully decoded, until it was, then oh boy was it. (view spoiler)

The world is in danger and it is down to five people bringing it about and stopping it. Well. Okay then, let's see how this is gonna go down!

The love, oh I am all in for the love in this book. No triangles, thank the writing gods. But the connections, marriages, and first blushings all made me squeal happily on the inside. The author did not shy away from same sex unions and let me tell you-I love how she delivered this so naturally that it is a part of the book, and not something thrown in to pay lip service or fill a checkbox. Also. I ship Anton and Jude so damn hard I squeak like a schoolgirl everytime they are in a scene together.

The author does not shy away from death, so be ye prepared!

And lastly, hope. We have to have hope that the darkness will be averted, or fixed, or something. And I have hope the rest of this series will kick ass.

But yes, I loved this book. It had a decent pace, no rushed ending. Instead the ending was a beautiful set up for book two. The worst part is now waiting for book two.

Additionally, the author provides Content Warnings for her book because it does touch on things that may be triggering to some readers. Check that out here https://katyrosepool.com/content-warn...
Much thanks to the publisher and netgalley for this advanced copy...even though I finished it after the actual publication date. Now to add the book to my must own list!
4/5 stars for this new YA Fantasy! Just may bump it up to a 4.5 after I stew on it some more. Let's start with #1, the title! And #2, the cover! Am I right?! Amazing! This is a debut title, but you wouldn't know it while reading. It's such a unique story, with a unique magic system! The large cast and multiple POVs reminded me so much of my queen, SJM. I can't wait to read the sequel, I ALMOST hate that I read it so soon after the release. Almost ;)
I want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for giving me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I feel a little bad giving this review. I read the blurb and requested the book before I realized it was a YA novel. I just don't jive with YA fantasy. I have read a few good ones, but they are VERY few and far between. I think it has something to do with the characters, mostly. In YA books, the characters are always so young and unbelievable. I am a young adult, so that usually doesn't bother me, but it does when a 15-year-old is doing these fantastic things and outthinking adults who have a lifetime of real experience. It's just not convincing. So, if you are into the immensely popular genre of YA, you can probably disregard my opinion of this book.

There are 5 POV characters. I actually found them to be pretty well done. Some of them were fairly similar in voice, but they were all interesting enough. I do think the author had too many POV's, though. Switching back and forth between 5 of them got to be a lot to keep up with and broke up the flow of the book. I read a ton of authors who use multiple POV's, but this author just doesn't create a strong enough voice for each character to make it as enjoyable. She would have been better off working on maybe one or two of them. The story itself takes FOREVER to get going. The fact that I was able to keep reading this book says a lot about the quality of it. The writing itself was excellent, and the only thing that kept me going. The author has a lot of potential. I am sure that there are people who will love this book; it just wasn't for me.
I very much liked There Will Come a Darkness bye Katy Rose Pool. I even didn't mind the story being told from 5 different characters. However, I feel like we ran into a few of the YA tropes that we just can't seem to shed. (4.5 stars)

I love the plot of this book. The idea was so well thought through and seems very standard at the beginning but developed into something very original. I appreciate the blending of cultures and the diversity in the different characters and their personalities.

I wish I had a better feel for the culture of the main six cities. I want to know more about their customs and traditions and how the uprising is going to change/effect how they live as a whole. I wish there was just a bit more information as a whole, more background on events and things.

However I do love the background we keep getting on the pasts of all of the characters. I love slowly finding out details about their lives and how it brought them to where they are now and how it will eventually bring them all together.

The relationships in this one feel much less superficial (minus one) than most YA books and for that I'm thankful.

I absolutely will be reading the next book and can't wait to find out what happens next!
Katy Rose Pool's There Will Come a Darkness is the authors debut novel & the first installment in her Age of Darkness trilogy. Pool brings a new spin to the idea of prophecies and chosen ones.  The setup with its setting reminiscent of ancient Greece is also intriguing. For generations, Seven Prophets guided humanity. Using their visions of the future, they ended wars and united nations―until the day, one hundred years ago, when the Prophets disappeared.

All they left behind was one final, secret prophecy, foretelling an Age of Darkness and the birth of a new Prophet who could be the world’s salvation . . . or the cause of its destruction. As chaos takes hold, five souls are set on a collision course:

Hassan a prince exiled from his kingdom.
Ephyra a ruthless killer known as the Pale Hand.
Jude a once-faithful leader torn between his duty and his heart.
Anton a reckless gambler with the power to find anything or anyone.
And Beru a dying girl on the verge of giving up.

One of them―or all of them―could break the world. Will they be savior or destroyer?

In the beginning I did struggle a bit because there were (5) different points of view, each with their own story line. Pool has created a world where some, not all, are Graced with special abilities that fall into (4) categories: Grace of Heart, Blood, Mind, and Sight). The villains of the story are a radical group called the Witnesses. They are led by a man calling himself Hierophant. Hierophant is intent on ridding the world of anyone with Grace which would lead to what is being called the Age of Darkness.

Ephyra is dedicated to her sister Beru. She is a Grace of Blood but instead of being someone who is a healer, she has become the killer known as Pale Hand. Those with the Grace of Blood are able to give and take energy to heal or to harm. Killing monsters, or those who deserve to die, is turning her into one. Ephyra is morally gray who has done some truly crappy things to keep her sister alive. Ephyra is approached by a mysterious woman who claims there is a way to save Beru. She must, however, put her trust in someone which isn't always easy. Ephyra has been compared to a plethora of other series characters but, in the end, she is probably the one character I most feel for because of what she's had to do to keep her sister alive.

Beru is the one character who is without any Grace that we know of. (There's still two more books so we shall see if that changes.) She's been relying on her sister to take care of her for years now. The sisters really do have a tragic backstory that I won't spoil. They are constantly on the run, and Beru feels as though Ephyra would be better off without having to stay with her to ensure she lives. Beru's best moments come later in the book when she undertakes her own journey of self and acceptance that she has her own path to take without her sister around.

Jude is a Paladin who was raised from an early age to play a role in the coming age of darkness. As the heir to the title of Keeper of the Word, he is sworn to protect the last prophet with his life. But, when the Prophets disappeared, the Paladin fled the world to their own island. Did they leave the last prophet to his/her own demise? Jude is also a Grace of Heart which enhances strength, agility speed and senses. Grace of Heart are elite fighters. With a rumor spreading that the Hierophant may have been one of the Order of Light acolyte's, he's already taken one of the 6 prophetic cities, Jude and his Keepers may be forced into fighting a battle against the spreading darkness.

Anton is a very curious Grace. He has the Grace of Sight which senses and locates living beings. He has much, much more to him than that. But, he can't use his grace without seeing his own brother trying to drown him who is tries to stay one step ahead of at all times. Anton is ruthless about his survival and has no time for prophecies, but that's what happens to him. Anton's past relating to his brother leads him to direct confrontation with a woman willing to train him how to use his sight, the Hierophant who wants him, and Jude who learns Anton's greatest secret.

Crown Prince of Herat Hassan lost his home and his parents to the Hierophant and Witnesses. Hassan managed to land in Pallas Athos, one of the Holy Cities, with his aunt where he years to return home and save his parents. Hassan is not one of the Graced. But, his eye open to the plights of his people when he crosses paths with a certain Herati refugee who gets Hassan's blood boiling. Not being Graced like his parents is something he struggles with mightily. Hassan's relationship with Khepri is heart-warming. He's a prince, she's a solder, but they are dynamic together.

Overall, I have to say it is a good thing that I take copious notes when I am reading. I can easily break down each of the 5 main characters plus some really important secondary characters and not feel as though I lost something in translation. This is a huge undertaking by the author to feature 5 distinct characters with the weight of the world on their shoulders. Each of them have a destiny whether they want it or not. Each of these characters could easily become main characters in a flick of a pen.
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A darkness is coming to the world. One hundred years ago, the Prophets disappeared. They had one last prophecy that only The Order of the Last Light has protected. And now they believe they've found the last prophet.

In this story we meet five people who become entangled and set on a collision course with the impending darkness:
A prince exiled from his kingdom--Hassan
A ruthless killer known as the Pale Hand--Ephyra
A once-faithful leader torn between his duty and his heart--Jude
A reckless gambler with the power to find anything or anyone--Anton
And a dying girl on the verge of giving up--Beru

I loved each and every one of these characters. I don't think I can pick a favorite one and I'm really looking forward to how their story lines are going to expand in the next volume already.

The world building was so intricately done. We're introduced to so many different cultures, cult movements and people, but there was never any "info-dumping". We pick up bits and pieces through each POV. Every character had a role to play and I loved seeing each part of the prophecy unfold.

I loved the plot twists and reveals throughout the story and there are going to be so many consequences from what happened in this installment. The atmosphere of this book is decadent and the impending darkness is always lingering. I could feel it building throughout the story, like fingers trailing across a lover's face.

The growing conflict between the Hierophant and the graced, people gifted with magic in body, blood, mind or sight, was so intriguing and well done. I loved how the danger of the Hierophant was always looming and present. As our protagonists continue to fight, we see the enemy develop new weapons and tactics to win.

Overall, I really enjoyed this and I NEED the sequel!
I am in the minority here, but I was SO bored throughout this book.  In the beginning, it was because of info. dump.. in the middle, I just didn't feel a huge connection to all of the characters.  I think that the overall plot is a good idea, but all the perspectives were a little too much for me.  I saw a comparison to Six of Crows, but all of these characters were within the same plot point-- and it was a good 3rd POV narrator.  Overall, not my fave.
There Will Come a Darkness was a phenomenal read. Pure fantasy mixed with adventure, mystery, magic (!!!), and romance. I couldn’t get enough of the diverse characters with their own backstories and ways of dealing with their own issues. The story was told from four different points of views making the reader feel and root for each character and gain an understanding that their choices and decisions were ultimately fated. It was pure joy to follow each of them on their journey, live through their complex and inner struggles, and experience a heartbreak when something happened to one of them. I also loved how Pool included gay characters, and I love how beautifully she portrayed them and how she created a world that is filled with acceptance and understanding. I mention this because some of my students will love to read this book purely for that reason. I loved that there was magic, which made the entire story ten times better for me. Lastly, I love the world-building, the lavish descriptions of each unique setting, and the cultures and people she described. It literally felt as if I was there in these cities, eating and dreaming about their tradition food (the refugee camp scene). One negative to this book was that the middle felt too long and overwritten. I almost lost interest but kept going because I so desperately wanted to know who the Prophet is and what would happen to each character. I can’t wait for the second book. Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group for this eARC. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This book was amazing.  Loved it!  The world building, the interconnected stories, the hard to put down  drawing you in, this book has it all..  Be prepared to have a couple of hours available for the last half of the book because you will ignore every thing else because of this book..  Can not wait for the next.
I'm always a little wary of buzzy ya debuts with a lot of hefty comp titles. It's not even the book or author's fault, but unfortunately holding THERE WILL COME A DARKNESS up to some of the heavy hitters in today's ya fantasy won't lend to overly flattering comparisons. That said, TWCAD is a perfectly respectable first book in an ambitious trilogy. The worldbuilding feels a little heavy handed, but is intriguing and draws from a lot of different sources. The real tripping point for me were the multiple viewpoints. Some are incredibly similar and it just felt like a lot of consolidation could've been done without losing anything of significance. But, again, it's the first in a series, so hopefully Pool is setting each of them up for something thrilling in further installments. I'll probably pick up the next book, but I doubt many of us will be running to the stores on release day for it.
There Will Come a Darkness was marketed as the next big thing, but I struggled to get through this book. I have had to put it aside multiple times, and I wasn’t very interested in picking it back up. YA Fantasy tropes were plentiful in this novel, and it did not feel like it was anything new. Six of Crows is the exception to the rule where multiple points of view are concerned. For There Will Come a Darkness, it just became very confusing in figuring out who was who since the voices of each character were not particularly distinct. Maybe I’m missing something, but this was one fell flat for me.
This is a okay start to a series, but I'm not as enthusiastic as others seem to be. There are all sorts of twists and turns but most of them don't really seem to mean anything. There are too many characters who are too similar to each other. The chapter titles declare who is the focus of the chapter and I'm not sure that this should be necessary. All these battles and reversals and only 1 named character dies. Just doesn't seem much payoff for all the fuss. Not sure I care enough to read the next.
I was really drawn into this book from the beginning. The world-building blew me away. I feel that Pool did an excellent job of establishing this fantasy world without using lots of boring exposition to do so. I also felt like, despite it being a made-up world, it felt familiar in many ways, which kept it from feeling too different to connect to.

The one thing I didn't really enjoy was the characters, which is keeping me from rating this book higher. I felt like each of the different characters followed in the book was just too annoying to me. They all behaved like selfish, unruly teenagers. While some of them are young, and this behavior is understandable, not all of them should be like this, otherwise, it gets to be too much. Almost every character is being driven by their own selfish needs, putting many others in danger in the process. They all did things that just made me shake my head or roll my eyes, which was annoying. I didn't look forward to any one character's pov chapter, except maybe Beru, who is the least selfish of all of them, and also the one with the least amount of chapters dedicated to her.

The action and the plot overall were decent. It's the traditional good vs. evil set-up, with the added aspect of some of the population has superpowers. While the book isn't entirely predictable, it's enough that I wasn't surprised by anything, except for one moment towards the end of the book. But I did enjoy the fighting sequences - I felt they were very smooth and fluid and I could picture them easily. That is not an easy thing to write, so I give props to Pool for that.

I would still recommend this book because I felt like it was a decently constructed action-adventure story and has a lot of interesting aspects, it's diverse, and the fantasy world is really interesting.