There Will Come a Darkness

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Sep 2019

There Will Come A Darkness has an awesome title and an absolutely breathtaking cover, but there is another reason it has garnered so much attention from reviewers:

It’s good.

It could have gone horribly wrong, believe me — an epic fantasy with five different POVs, historical worldbuilding, magical prophecies, and several plot twists could have combined into a book-shaped disaster. It could have been impossible to follow, it could have been a chore to sift through five different characters’ thoughts, it could have been all drama and no substance —

But it didn’t go horribly wrong.

It’s one of those stories that draws you in and keeps you there. You don’t have to expend any mental effort “getting into” the world or the characters because the moment you start reading, author Katy Rose Pool makes sure you’re hooked.

The basics:

Magic
The magic in There Will Come A Darkness isn’t too obtrusive. It comes in the form of “Graces,” which essentially give those born with them a special skill. They fit in extremely well with the general setting and vibe of the story, which does include some murky prophecies from long-ago Prophets.

Characters
I mentioned the five (FIVE!) different perspectives earlier, and while it can be a lot to get your head around for the first several chapters, I grew to love them all. Each one gives you a slightly different way to look at the events unfolding, and each one keeps you on the edge of your seat as the plot thickens. I never found myself playing favorites or skimming through a chapter to get to the next POV, which was awesome.

Plot
I obviously can’t say much without spoilers, but suffice it to say, the plot keeps you invested. There are many twists and turns, some of which you can see coming and some of which leave you guessing. The end came so suddenly that I was reeling — WHERE IS THE REST? — but that just means I’ll be first in line for the sequel.

Every fantasy book can draw its inspirations and roots back to other fantasy works, but overall I’d say TWCAD was quite original. The characters, the plot, the setting, and the magic system all worked together to create an intriguing world from the get-go. Then you add secret prophecies, long-dead prophets, and mistaken identities… and it gets even better.

Honestly, there isn’t much more I can say without getting into spoilers, but I’ll leave some short descriptions of the characters below (because I loved each and every one of them). I highly recommend There Will Come A Darkness, and I know a huge amount of other reviewers and publications do, too. It’s one of the best YA books of the year, hands-down.

And a dying girl on the verge of giving up.
I have not fallen this in love with a fantasy book in awhile. An excellent opening with a cast of diverse characters and a plot and magic system that I just ate up. I am a little sad I read this early (not really) because now I have to wait for book two, queue the tears.
This book was amazing! I loved the whole concept behind it. I could see some things coming, but not every twist and turn, and I loved it! The whole premise was that five different people could either prevent or cause the end of the world, and who will be which? From that alone you become instantly suspicious of some people, feel pulled one way or the other based on what you read, which as a reader, you should know, there's always a twist coming, but even then I still didn't see some people turning the way they did!

First off, the world is really well constructed and full of a ton of political intrigue. The mythology of the land easily unfolds itself as you read and made the entire story so interesting and intense. There are five different points of view and even though at the beginning I was only really interested in like one or two people, by the end everyone had me on the edge of my seat! This is definitely a must-read for 2019!
There are things I love about this, including the writing, but I had issues with the the way the story was told. I was drawn to the cast of characters mentioned in the synopsis. I thought it was going to be about a group of morally gray characters coming together to defeat some greater villain or threat. As I started reading, I was immediate drawn to the magic system. I love elemental type magic systems like in Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse or Tomi Adyemi’s Children of Blood and Bone. The magic system here is very similar. In this world, those who have these special abilities are considered graced. The world is made up of esha, which seem to be like spirit or soul.

The Four Bodily Graces:
- The Grace of Heart - Enhances strength, agility, speed, and senses (elite fighters)

- The Grace of Blood - Gives and takes energy to heal or harm (Healers)

- The Grace of Mind - Creates objects imbued with unique properties (alchemists and artificers)

- The Grace of Sight - Senses and located living beings (scryers)

This world is told with a lot of religious symbols and language. The world used to have prophets guiding people (to what, I can’t really pinpoint) at sacred temples. However, someone who calls himself Hierophant is convinced that Graces are unnatural and need to be removed from high positions of power. Most rulers came from families who were graced. I think being graced is considered being blessed by the gods so maybe that’s why there are prophets and such. Not exactly sure. Anyways, the Hierophant’s followers are called Witnesses. They’ve been attacking kingdoms to overthrow rulers and kill graces. They burn down temples. Overall, you get the sense they are zealous in their beliefs and will do anything for the Hierophant’s cause.

So that’s the situation at the start of the book. As we meet the characters, we learn there is actually a prophet, the Last Prophet, was was prophesied to be born. This prophecy states there will come a darkness and the Last Prophet would lead the people to peace. That’s the premise in a nutshell. And it all sounds like it should be amazing, but the way the story was told made it so hard to get fully invested. The story switches perspectives between 5 characters. And while I normally don’t mind different narrators, the issue I had was that the switching happened way too frequently. Sometimes we wouldn’t get back to someone’s story until later and when we did, it would only show a very small scene before the chapter ended and we moved to another character. For example, a chapter ended with the character getting badly injured. When the character’s next chapter rolled around again, it was him waking up and talking to someone for a quick conversation. I felt like if the chapters were longer, the characters would feel more fleshed out. The constant switching to only cover a small scene made my reading experience jarring and I kept losing focus. By the time we got back to some characters, I had forgotten what they had been doing.

Another thing was I was expecting them to be like a crew of some sort or to eventually merge together. This book felt like a really long set up for the climax of the plot which will appear in the next book. The central conflict between those who are graced, Hierophant’s, and those who play a role in the prophecy is all intriguing, I just had a hard time staying focused. Towards the end, I found it easier. Perhaps because the scenes were longer or I just got used to the narrative structure.

I’m on the fence about continuing the series. I think I will have to flip through the second book to see if the story is told differently.

CHARACTERS:
Ephyra (The Pale Hand):
She has the a Grace of Blood. She is fiercely devoted to her younger sister Berg and will do anything to heal her. She is able to take esha from those around her to transfer it to Beru when she’s dying. When Ephyra touches someone, she can take their esha which kills them. Her touch leaves a pale imprint of her hand on the victim.

“Their eyes went dark, and Ephyra felt a sweet, sated relief, and in equal measure, a deep, inescapable fear - that killing monsters was turning her into one.”

Jude (Captain of The Order of the Last Light)
Jude struggles with wanting to be with his childhood best friend Hector and trusting that Hector who is a member of Jude’s guard is loyal to the Order. Jude also feels inadequate at his role as Captain. Above all else, his first priority should be protecting the Last Prophet. He’s my favorite character.

“He was a man grown now, and he knew the truth. His destiny was finally here, and it did not care whether or not he was ready for it.”

Hassan (Prince)
Prince of Herat. During an attack on his kingdom Nazirah by the Hierophant and his Witnesses, Hassan escaped Pallas Athos with his Aunt Lethia. His primary goal is to take back his kingdom from the Hierophant’s control so his people can go back home.

Anton:
Anton has the Grace of Sight. He was bullied mercilessly by his older brother who did not have a grace. He believes his brother is trying to kill him so he’s been living in hiding moving fro, city to city. He is traumatized and refuses to use his grace even though his grace allows him to sense people’s esha all around him.

“Scrying was seeking, using one’s Grace to find the esha that vibrated at a particular frequency. This was not scrying. Anton’s Grace reverberated through currents of Kesha, disrupting their patterns with an echo of itself. He wasn’t seeking. He was calling out. Help, he cried into the black, shivering world. Help me.”

Hector:
He does not have his own perspective but I consider him a major character.
He came to the Order as an orphan. He has a conflicting relationship with the Order. He was taken care of by the Order, but finding his family’s murderer is #1 in his priorities. The Order demands that all of the Captain’s guard members live (and die) protecting the Last Prophet at all costs.

Beru:
Ephyra’s younger sister. She was brought back to life after falling ill by Ephyra’s grace. However, in order to heal Beru, Ephyra’s grace pulled esha from those around her and transferred it to Beru. Resurrecting Beru, but killing everyone else. Beru worries about Ephyra’s obsession with finding a cure for Beru, and Ephyra’s soul is turning darker with every intentional murder.

“Maybe I was always meant for death.”
**3.5 stars**
This is a really solid fantasy debut that I enjoyed overall. I like stories with prophecies and see how the characters try to fulfill or stop the said prophecy. I like the overall world building and my favorite chapters were from Beru, Ephyra and Hassan. I liked seeing how everything unfolded and the ending was satisfying, despite this feeling about 100 pages too long. But I'm very interested in the sequel, so I'll pick it up when it comes out. I think this will be a good success in my library district and my library has already bought copies. I think people new to fantasy will love this debut novel and the writing is very well done as well. While it's not a new favorite, I still recommend it for people who like these type of plot lines. Thanks to the publisher for the review copy!
The world building in this book is original, and draws from several existing cultures and mythologies in a way that feels both familiar and new, including Greek mythology and  Arthurian legend. There are five protagonists and then some, which can be bit a laborious for the reader but start to tie in deftly near the conclusion of this first installment. Particularly enjoy the lack of discernible placement in point in time, and as a reader the book can be post-apocalyptic, futuristic or historical in context.
Looking forward to Pool’s cryptic storytelling brings next.
Copy was given to me from NetGalley for an honest review.

2.5 stars, almost a DNF, but felt bad since it's an ARC and I wanted to be able to review this properly.

So, there's this world, and there were these prophets, who used to be around a lot and gave out prophecies and helped mankind, and then they dipped about a hundred years ago. They left a prophecy that stated there will be a prophet that returns and as long as everything goes according to plan the Age of Darkness will not come to pass. That's what we know from the description.

This story is told from multiple points of view. Normally I don't have a problem with this, but the chapters are relatively short (there's just a lot of them), so you don't really get to know the characters in the beginning. There's not much of this world building, we know a city has been captured, we know refugees are in another city, and there's this distant island of people that somehow no one knew existed until they showed up? I didn't really understand why people were surprised that the Order still existed, because it didn't seem like they were cut off from everyone. We have a set of sisters that are trying to keep each other alive, we have the boy who is secretly gay and in love with his best friend but has a duty to uphold that he's trained for all his life, we have a prince who is in hiding from the people that seized his city and are holding his parent's hostage, and we have another boy who is a thief? I'm not quite sure actually, but he's on the run from an evil man trying to kill him. All of these characters eventually come together, sort of, to try and defeat the evil people, but so much of this was predictable.

I would have rated this higher if the plot didn't go exactly how I pictured it going. Also, since I knew it was going to be a trilogy, I knew nothing conclusive would happen in this book, that this is all set up for the next two. Which would have been okay, if it wasn't so predictable. That was the problem, as I got further into the story, I knew all the twists, so it just became dull trying to finish this. I don't plan on reading the next two books, and I'm disappointed because the description and the cover were so wonderful.
Are you a prince, an assassin, an innocent, a gambler, or a protector?
Katy Rose Pool‘s There Will Come A Darkness mashes up action, high fantasy, magic, and prophecy, but it’s really all ruled by its impressive cast of characters.

As part of the official blog tour, Macmillan asked us to talk about our favorite character– but it’s really so hard to choose a favorite because they’re all so good! From wholesome and torn to darkly ambitious, there’s something incredible about the full spectrum you get from the five leads.

So instead, we’re going to help you figure out which character is going to be your favorite– or at the very least, which one is the most like you!

Which character are you?

ANTON

- Good at fitting in and melting into your surroundings
- Knows how to read people
- Lover of high stakes and a good card game
- Social prowess aside, you’re just looking out for #1– YOU.
- But also maybe not, because your heart is secretly gooey mush

BERU

- Levelheaded and reasonable, because someone around here has to be
- Collecting and crafting FTW
- In a world of extremes, you long for a simple life
- Earns respect through earnesty
- Living for those “hiding a deadly secret” vibes

EPHYRA

-Loyal af. Maaaaaybe to a fault
- Will undoubtedly sacrifice your soul and safety to save the (few) people you love
- Slytherin level ambition
- Can run, jump, and flip out of almost any situation
- Always the best of intentions, despite the actual outcome

HASSAN

- Natural born leader
- Trying to find yourself after a major life upheaval
- Will do ill-advised things to impress someone you like
- Uncommon upbringing = Occasional failure to understand social cues
- Secret royals rock your world

JUDE

- Could go on a long, completely silent, phone-free mediative retreat and actually enjoy it
- Firm believer in destiny
- Knew what you want to do with your life from a young age
- Forbidden love tropes are your jam
- Usually a health nut, but in love with the occasional extra-sugary dessert

See why we love them all so much?!
This is a well-written and plotted YA debut and I enjoyed it. While there are certain characters that lagged the plot in my opinion (i.e. Hassan), I found this a quick read with enough action and twists to keep me going. Jude and Anton are definitely my favorites, and their chapters are the strongest in my opinion. I felt that we got to know them the best and their characters had great chemistry. I was also really interested by the sisters Beru and Ephyra, and I wish we would have gotten more of them. Hassan was definitely my least favorite, and the character I found the most uninteresting. I did not think his character was unique in anyway and I found him boring. I did find myself wishing for just a bit *more* from all the characters though—like some extra edginess or darkness. I was pretty much able to predict all of their actions and I wish I’d been more surprised.

The setting is clearly inspired by antiquity so nothing particularly new there, but Pool’s descriptions of the world and the way Graces work are vivid and interesting. However, the villain reminds me quite a bit of Amon from The Legend of Korra, so I’m curious to see what else we learn about The Hierophant and their plans in the upcoming books.

To conclude: this is a solid YA debut, and it ends with a satisfying tease of upcoming adventures. I do hope we get to see some more grit and unique world-building in the next books so that this series & its characters will standout more in the YA fantasy genre.
"Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows meets Kristin Cashore's Graceling, with a dash of Winter is Coming, in this showstopping debut YA fantasy!

The Age of Darkness approaches.
Five lives stand in its way.
Who will stop it...or unleash it?

For generations, the Seven Prophets guided humanity. Using their visions of the future, they ended wars and united nations - until the day, one hundred years ago, when the Prophets disappeared.

All they left behind was one final, secret prophecy, foretelling an Age of Darkness and the birth of a new Prophet who could be the world’s salvation...or the cause of its destruction. With chaos on the horizon, five souls are set on a collision course:

And a dying girl on the verge of giving up.

One of them - or all of them - could break the world. Will they be savior or destroyer? Perfect for fans of Throne of Glass, Children of Blood and Bone, and An Ember in the Ashes."

Yes to the Six of Crows comparison, no to the Children of Blood and Bone. I just didn't like that book.
Perfectly enjoyable YA fantasy. Suffers a bit from the common genre issue of large numbers of characters, new terminology, organizations, and countries, but better more world-building than too little. I didn't feel as much connection to the different characters as I'd hoped to (and kept groaning at their dubious decision-making), but the plot and action did keep things moving.
Thank you to the publisher for a copy for review.

I enjoyed this book. The world building is absolutely incredibly well done. She blends so many different cultures and people into this very natural, seamless world. The world and “religion” were very fleshed out and engaging.  I liked the diversity of the characters. There are a lot of characters. I think they were pretty well developed, and I definitely have my favorites. I absolutely loved the last 100 pages! They were just non stop action!

Ok now here’s where I struggled. I know this is a first in a series so this sets everything up, but it was a bit too heavy on descriptions and not enough action in the beginning. For as much as I enjoy the characters I just couldn’t really connect to them. I never feared for their fates. The biggest thing is the villain isn’t threatening enough for me. There practically wasn’t a villain for the most part, and I felt he got glossed over. I just expected a little more darkness to the story. I also had the plot twists pegged down early in the book. Overall though I enjoyed it enough to see where this goes.
A century ago, the Prophets left. Since then, things have been slowly unraveling. Now a zealot is gathering power to purge the world of the Graced, gifted individuals who use their fantastic abilities to guide, heal, and protect. Fate will bring together a handful of teens to either save or doom the world. Hassan is a prince in exile. Anton is a Seer who rejects his gifts. Ephyra will do anything to save her sister, Beru. Jude has devoted his life to the long-awaited final Prophet, but is having eleventh hour doubts. A solid start to a high fantasy series that successfully juggles the multitude of POV characters.
This was a really good book. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to read and review! The first half I wasn’t sure I was into it honestly, I felt disconnected from the characters and it felt like I was missing so much, but towards the second half when it all started coming together I found I was so much more invested than I’d expected. Some twists I saw coming and others I didn’t see at all. I will definitely be purchasing the sequel!
Disclaimer: I received this copy from NetGalley. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book Series: The Age of Darkness Book 1

Rating: 3/5

Publication Date: September 3, 2019

Genre: YA Fantasy

Recommended Age: 17+ (violence, povs out the yingyang, and dark themes)

Publisher: Henry Holt Books for Young Readers

Synopsis: The Age of Darkness approaches.
Five lives stand in its way.
Who will stop it... or unleash it?

For generations, the Seven Prophets guided humanity. Using their visions of the future, they ended wars and united nations―until the day, one hundred years ago, when the Prophets disappeared.

All they left behind was one final, secret prophecy, foretelling an Age of Darkness and the birth of a new Prophet who could be the world’s salvation . . . or the cause of its destruction. As chaos takes hold, five souls are set on a collision course:

And a dying girl on the verge of giving up.

One of them―or all of them―could break the world. Will they be savior or destroyer?

Review: Okay this is a behemoth of a book for multiple reasons. The book is loaded with information and that makes the story very interesting. The characters are all well developed and the worldbuilding is gorgeous.

However, that info dump was a lot on me and the five different povs was just a tad overwhelming for me. The book is great but I just got overwhelmed.

Verdict: A decent book and I think the series will be amazing.
Rating: 4.5

Oh yes, yes I enjoyed There Will Come a Darkness quite a bit. With Ancient Greece vibes, prophecies, and high stakes, I was immediately engaged.

The book follows five character point-of-views as their stories weave in and out of each other in a way that was reminiscent of Falling Kingdoms but I can't compare beyond that because There Will Come a Darkness can truly stand on its own.

I think what originally hooked me is how fast the book seems to move. While the actual plot progresses at a reasonable pace, allowing the story to slowly unfold, the perfectly timed jumps between character point of views gives you the feeling that things are happening much quicker. It kept me reading for the vast majority of the story (there was a point about halfway through where it dragged a bit, the calm before the storm if you will).

And like I said before, it reminded me of another YA fantasy series (and a few others beside that) yet at the same time offered something new. It had an Ancient Greece feel without overused Greek myths tied in. None of the characters were strictly good or evil, just human. Prophecies are ever-present without falling into the Chosen One trap. The characters came from all different walks of life and backgrounds yet somehow merged seamlessly into a larger story.

I could go on, but the short version is that I felt like There Will Come a Darkness had all the elements of a YA fantasy that I enjoy, written from a fresh perspective.

As the story progressed, I grew attached to all five protagonists. Ephyra, the Pale Hand, who kills to keep her sister alive. Beru, the sister, struggling with the morality of what her sister is doing while also wanting to live. Anton, so full of fear and life that they're at constant odds. Jude, who feels the heavy burden of responsibility but would toss it aside for the right moment. And Hassan, born to lead and ready to sacrifice himself to save his people.

Each had their struggles, their own goals. At times I loved some more than others, and it was constantly shifting as one character was left in a precarious position before the story jumped to another. It kept me on my toes but I also noticed that. . . well, I don't have a favorite character! I loved them all, each for something different.

Which, speaking of all these characters, can I just take a moment to say WOW this book is intricate. Pool masterfully meshes five distinct stories together in a way that creates a complicated world I'd expect from a full series, not a single book. It was pure magic. And the twists! Now some I had guessed but there were a few, especially near the end, that completely blindsided me and damn it was perfection. The hope and wishful thinking contrasted so nicely against fear and doubt and betrayal, which might sound weird but it made this book an interesting ride, to say the least. You name it, I bet you'll find it in this book.

There Will Come a Darkness takes the concept of fate to a whole new  beautifully complex level.

This is not a book to sleep on and I think anyone who enjoyed fantasy should grab a copy. I'm already dying to get my hands on the sequel!!
This one started out a bit slow for me. It took me awhile to figure out who all of the characters were and their stake in the story. The world building was a bit confusing at first as well. But once the story took off, I was pleasantly surprised how much I ended up enjoying it.

The story is told from 5 different points of view. All of the characters are well developed and have very distinctive voices in their narratives. They all have well developed backstories that is doled out slowly throughout the book. There is some growth among some of them, but this being the first book I’m sure that they will all continue to grow and have some depth to them. All of the narrating characters are likable, Jude and Anton were my faves though. I just liked their unsurety of their places in the world. The sister bond between Ephyra and Beru was also solid and helped shape their personalities.

The world building is very well done, although it does take a bit to figure it all out. There are a lot of layers to it, and having the multiple narrators telling/showing their perspective of it made it a bit harder to grasp at first. But once you get it all figured out it becomes a very interesting world. The magical system is a blood based one, and some members of a family are ‘graced’ and some are not. Which makes for some interesting dynamics. There are also different types of grace, which covers healing, warriors, seers and a type of alchemists that can make mechanical objects.

This is more of a plot driven story although the characters are still important. There is a lot of things going on and some of the characters have yet to meet, although they will soon I think. There were some nice plot twists that were not so easy to see until they happen. The evil element of the story was quite scary. They are a cult that wants to wipe out the people what have graces and they are at the point where they just might succeed. There are more people without graces than with, and they are easily swayed to the cult’s way of thinking.

I enjoyed this enough that I will definitely be on the look out for the next book in the series. I enjoyed the author’s writing style and I am invested enough in the story and the characters that I will want to know what happened to them A really strong start to a fantasy series that you might want to consider picking up.
This is going to be short, because basically anything I say could be a spoiler.

I absolutely loved this book. I wasn't at all sure of anything that was happening (four of the five are both hero and villain and you could make a strong case for the fifth being both, as well) and pretty much everything surprised me. (Although this isn't my genre anymore, so that could definitely explain it.)

This is an incredibly fun read and it left me (a) breathless and (b) desperate for the sequel. Unfortunately for me (and for you, once you read it), the second book in the trilogy doesn't have a name or a release date beyond 2020. (Here's hoping it's closer to January than December.)

Highly recommended.
Oh my. Oh my. This book. Why didn’t I just wait till release?

I completely forgot how wonderful a book with multiple POV’s can be. The different backgrounds, and characters, all weaved together through wonderful storytelling. It’s always an amazing experience.

Every single character was wonderfully written. The plot was satisfying, interesting, and not boring in any way. The relationships were WONDERFUL. Particularly two characters (we will get to that).

I will be mentioning spoilers from this point onward.

So, I’ll try to save the best for last, but dear god is that going to be difficult!

I’ll start with Ephrya. The Pale Hand. I liked her. She initially had a simple goal, and honesty her goal never strayed despite the chaos that caught up with her and her sister Beru. Her need to save dying Beru was so sad. Like she even admitted that when she didn’t have to save Beru she didn’t know how to want or do anything else. Ah. I liked how easily she would kill someone, I know how that sounds lol. But she was a tough woman, and the fact that she would go to any length to save her sister was something I respected. She even killed Hector! Jude’s would have been love interest, which I didn’t expect. In a nutshell though, I felt for her and I hope happiness comes her way in the future books.

Hassan was my least favorite, though I still loved him almost as much as the other characters. I loved his relationship with Khepri because it was literally the only relationship happening, which was fine, but I enjoyed it. I only enjoyed his chapters the least because they were the most relaxed (and because I just wanted more Jude). Hassan was a good person who wanted to save his dying kingdom though he had no hope in doing so. He was able to find it through Khepri who never quit believing in the Prince (oh I should probably have mentioned that he’s a prince). When he finally believed in himself I rooted for him, even when aunt Lethia decided to show her true colors and betray him by becoming queen behind his back and working with the Hierophant (the main antagonist) to purge them of their grace powers. Hassan managed to still have some sort of hope. I applaud him for that.

Anton gave me the biggest migraine. He stole Jude’s sword so he could gamble it away for money, he betrayed Beru and Ephrya to Hector when he wanted to kill them, even when he came back to save them I didn’t outright forgive him. Anton did many traitorous things and then...out of nowhere he became likable. It was when he admitted what he was running from, his horrible older brother Illya who was honestly terrible. So maybe it was when when him and Jude became...close? Not sure yet, but I’m HOPING they’re a ship, and that it will sail.

Jude, Jude, Jude. The best for last. Hiw I adore your character. Jude is my favorite if you couldn’t tell. The Captain of the Paladin Guard, keeper of the word, the best human ever. He’s so pure—I mean let’s ignore the things like sneaking away with Hector and drinking wine despite his Paladin ways stating that that’s forbidden. Jude loved Hector, and it hurt because he swore himself to chastity and such so they couldn’t be together. Aaaah the pain. And then Hector going on the war path after he was reunited with the Pale Hand and Jude felt that he had to go after him. Aaaaah I can’t. It’s okay though because Anton and Jude got so close from being chased by Illya together that THE SHIP WILL SAIL. Jude having lost his purpose in life, and then finding it through Anton, that broke and also rebuilt my heart all in one second. I’m so glad that he doesn’t think he is worthless anymore, and I hope in the future booms his confidence will slowly grow.

So if you couldn’t tell by now, this is without a doubt, a five star read for me.
This was a big undertaking for the author, and she pulled it off very well! The world is woven together masterfully and the individual stories of each character are brought together carefully and skillfully. This is told in 5 or 6 perspectives, and I sometimes had a hard time keeping names and storylines straight, which is why it took me a while to finish. Ultimately, I didn’t truly love any of the characters, but I loved the overall story and am intrigued for book 2.