There Will Come a Darkness

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Sep 2019

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! I am not usually one for high fantasy, and I've seen books struggle with multiple main characters and multiple points of view, but There Will Come a Darkness does NOT disappoint. Each character felt like their own person driven by their own story, and the immediate world building sucked me right in, I couldn't put it down. Absolutely one of my top picks for YA in 2019.
This book was sooo good! I love books like this one so i devoured it once i started reading. It was never slow and constantly made you think. Awesome plot! I would tell all my friends to read this!
Holy heartbreak, damn. This was a very imaginative and action-packed read. The author did a great job balancing the POVs and developing the large cast of characters into strong independent people. I never confused one character for another which really let me get lost in the world and the story. I loved the twists and mystery that was integrated with the fantasy world and fast-paced plot.

I am a bit worried that the future books might drag... I can easily see this being a duology, but unless some really crazy things happen in book 2 I'm worried it will feel too stretched-out. But who knows? Book one was really great and shows a lot of promise for even more heartbreak and action. I'd definitely recommend!
A interesting debut novel that has a lot of character development and world building. A fantasy novel that brings mythology of different historical areas to life. The author does have a lot of characters and POV's which causes some confusion further into the novel. I do think young adults will devour this book up. It reminds me of a blend of Rick Riordan and Sarah J. Maas. Thank you to NetGalley, Edelweiss, and the Macmillan Children's Publishing Group.
Thank you to the publisher for sending me an ARC of this book.
For a debut novel, this is pretty good in my opinion.  The world is well built.  The characters have their distinct characteristics.  It's a brain sucker, once you read it, you won't be able to stop.
Received an ARC that was a blessing and a curse....because now the wait for book 2 will be too long! Ensemble cast, excellent world-building, prophecies, betrayals, religious zealots, and more make this a must read this Fall!
I am so grateful to have been able to preview this book!  This world grabbed me and sucked me in!  This is an epic fantasy with corruption, greed and heartache.  The character development seemed effortless and I cannot wait to read more in this series.  I will be purchasing this for my library!
I was excited to receive an ARC from NetGalley for There Will Come a Darkness (TWCD). The book emerged on my radar after the Entertainment Weekly article about its major deal. I had high hopes especially because I enjoy books with prophecy elements. Of the things I enjoyed in TWCD, I thought Pool did a great job showing how difficult it is to interpret prophecy and I thought the magic system or "graces" was cool.
Overall though, I had a really hard time with this book. Because I read fantasy as a historian, I am drawn to how authors construct their worlds, whether fantastical or grounded in reality. Unfortunately, the world of TWCD feels like a cherry-picking of historical civilizations that do not fit organically. The major epicenter of action is in Pallos Athos which has an Ancient Greek vibe, cool. We do get some characters who have Italianate names (Cosima, Armando Curio), which fine. It then gets confusing when we are then introduced to a major POV character named Hassan, the crown prince of Herat. Herat and its people are coded as Egyptian: one of their most important symbols/structures is a lighthouse; children play a game invoking animals like ibis, heron, and crocodile. However, names like Hassan or Reza come from the Islamicate world and feel disjointed with a place seemingly with ancient inspiration. Add this further to mention of people from steppes, characters given Russian patronymics, and the most egregious, a character named Hector Navarro who feels like a token addition. Then there are Anglo-centric names like Jude Weatherbourne and Mrs. Tappan? I want books to have diversity but the cherry-picking is not the way to do it. I think TWCD tried to do too much with its world-building and for me it failed.

In addition to frustrations with the world-building, the pacing was a bit slow but it did get better during the last-quarter of the book. Pool does create interesting tensions between characters, particularly between Ephyra and Beru. Overall, TWCD read as overly trope-y and disappointing.
Right off the bat, this book sounded really interesting and I’m a complete sucker for that cover and title. Opening up the first chapter, the first couple of lines completely grabbed my attention and made my eyes widened and I smiled this crazy smile because something extreme just happened and oh my god! What and opening…. And then the confusion set it. The book itself was interesting and the writing was well done. It's definitely going to grab a lot of attention.