Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Jul 2019

This was sweet and enjoyable read - perfect for a rainy day. The writing was delightful, and the banter between the characters was entertaining.
Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy by Caitlin Crews is the second book in the Cold River Ranch series. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Ty and Hannah, I was immediately engrossed in it and it was difficult to put down. As this is the second in a series, I also appreciated reading "updates" on Ty's brother Gray and his wife Abby. This is what I love most about series, the fact that the story line goes on for longer than just one book. I liked Hannah and felt she handled the touchy predicament she was in as best as she knew how. Obviously, with hindsight and more knowledge things would have been different, but she is young and lived through a pretty horrible situation with Ty prior to returning to the ranch. I loved how Hannah owned and embraced her "Rodeo Queen" self (even when she realized this was certainly not the way of people in the small Colorado town), complete with full makeup, big hair, and flashy clothing. It was also sweet how Ty loved her that way and also fully natural. I am definitely looking forward to the third book in this series that will feature Brady.
It took time for me to appreciate the story.

The concept of having amnesia for the LI was a bit intriguing. There was a mystery with Ty though not a fan of his personality.

There was a lot of burden with Hannah and I was glad that she didn't walk away this time when he saw Ty.

Thank you for the ARC, Netgalley and St. Martin's Press!
I've come to expect deeply moving and intensely emotional reads from Caitlin Crews, and in this second installment of her Cold River Ranch series, she doesn't disappoint, and since she had me in tears more than once while reading this novel, and because there was only one small issue that bothered me, it gets 4.5 stars from this reader.

Ty is a professional bull rider, but was nearly stomped to death by Tough Luck, one angry and nearly impossible to ride bull. It didn't help that just prior to his ride, he'd been slammed by the news that his secret wife, Hannah, a Rodeo Queen, and the reason they had to keep their marriage a secret until the end of her reign (Rodeo Queens are supposed to be single), announced that she was pregnant with his child. Ty didn't take the news well, since his father, Amos, was an abusive, mean, violent drunk, especially after his wife left him and his sons and didn't look back. Amos never stopped telling Ty that he was an irresponsible loser who was just like him. As a result of his bitter and painful upbringing, Ty had sworn off the very idea of marriage until meeting and falling madly in love with Hannah, and marrying her in secret in Las Vegas, but they never discussed children or the fact that Ty never wanted to be a father, believing that he was going to be as dreadful a parent as his own father. When he stormed away from Hannah after yelling at her about getting pregnant (as if she got that way alone), he was beyond angry, and his focus was on her and her pregnancy, rather than his upcoming 8-second ride on a rank bull, which ended in disaster.

In addition to his bruised and broken bones, when Ty finally wakes up the hospital, Hannah is at his side, but he appears to not recognize her, thinking she's just another buckle bunny, when in reality, he has no memory of the past two years, which included their meeting, secret courtship and marriage--and he keeps his amnesia a secret, even from his brothers. After another yelling match, brokenhearted Hannah returns to her home in Georgia, where her bitter, angry mother, who'd had Hannah when she was 16 and unmarried, never stopped telling Hannah that men were evil, that they weren't worth the trouble, they only wanted one thing, and they were cheats and liars and not to be trusted--her own teen pregnancy and rejection by her lover was the cautionary tale she drilled into Hannah's head all of her life. So, Hannah has Ty's baby, names him Jack, and nurses him and her broken heart, not knowing about Ty's amnesia, and wondering if he's divorced her yet.

Eighteen months later, she finally decides that she needs to know if she still has a husband, needs to confront him, and needs to tell him that he has a son, and one day she simply shows up at Ty's Cold River Ranch, where Ty seems to have no idea who she is or why she's there, and he certainly doesn't remember rejecting his pregnant wife 18 months earlier, so Hannah attempts to jog his memory, hoping to get him to remember their love and marriage, and Ty, who still hasn't told his brothers he has amnesia, or that he feels nothing and remembers nothing, or that within a month's time, he's about to make a comeback, attempting to go the full 8 seconds on the same bull that broke him. He's certainly attracted to Hannah, and gets her to agree to stay for a while in hopes that he'll remember their past history, but after two weeks, Hannah simply can't take his lack of emotion or his failure to remember any longer, and she desperately misses her baby son, so she returns to Georgia, where she lives with her mother and aunt. My only complaint is that I wish she'd have told Ty about his son far earlier than she actually did--it would have reduced much of her repetitive internal dialogue, as well as Ty's, since this novel is told from both points of view.

Determined to make one more try because Ty is the the only man she's ever loved, as well as him being the father of her child, Hannah returns again to Cold River Ranch, and what happens when she does makes for one heart-wrenching, angst-filled, dramatic and addictive read that leads to one emotionally-charged HEA ending, that had me in tears for the second time since starting to read this novel. Ty and Hannah are two well-drawn, fully developed characters and kudos to Ms. Crews for bringing them to life. If you're a fan of contemporary western romance, do not miss this one--it's a gem of a read.

I voluntarily read an advance reader copy of this novel. The opinions expressed are my own.
Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy
By Caitlin Crews
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Blurb:
Ty Everett ran off to the rodeo when he turned eighteen and has been riding bulls ever since until his last fall causes partial amnesia and he must return to Cold River Ranch to figure out what comes next. But how can he pick his next move when he can’t remember how he got here in the first place much less the beautiful woman who appears at the ranch, claims she knows him, and warms his cold heart for the first time since he woke up in the hospital?
Rodeo Queen Hannah Monroe gave up her crown for Ty Everett, and her innocence. What she wants from Ty now is a divorce. But Ty can’t remember her or their secret wedding, or even the son she never meant to hide from him and Hannah is torn. How can she leave the man she can’t forget and still loves despite herself? And even if she’s willing to start over, what will happen when the truth comes out?

I was underwhelmed by this book.  I don’t like the memory loss trope.  The second chance romance is my catnip but this one was missing something.  I couldn’t connect with the characters and didn’t care for the inner monologue.  It’s a shame because I have enjoyed this authors other books.
Thank you to the publisher for providing the ARC.
This is a heart wrenching story of how one's parents can set expectations for our lives even in relationships. Hannah's mother has no use for men - they're all liars. Ty still hears his father telling him he's worse than worthless. How they overcome their own internal scripts is quite a story! Loved it.
This is book two in the Cold River Ranch series and it features Ty and Hannah. The crown of the queen of Rodeo Forever couldn’t be tarnished and Ty and his reputation would definitely tarnish it. They were in love and secretly married. She got pregnant and when she went to tell him before his ride, he was not happy about it and they had a huge fight.  What happened next would set the course of Hannah’s life for the next year and a half.  This story is about Hannah’s battle to either divorce OR reclaim the man she loves but doesn’t remember her or the fight they had before his accident. She’s a fighter! I love that! I didn’t like  how long it took her to tell Ty about Jack. It kind of made her look she didn’t want to share either of them with each other.  I also didn’t like their extreme lack of communication despite living together. I do think there was too much left unsaid between Ty and everyone else.

This was an emotional story line with fantastic characters! It’s a story full of introspection with a beautiful HEA. I can’t wait for Brady’s story.
This was a captivating, charming story about second chance romance. I don’t read many second chance romances and I really think I should! Unfortunately this wasn’t quite a perfect match with me (though I feel it was a case of “it’s not you, it’s me”). But I thoroughly appreciated the story for what it was and can safely say that it matched up to what the synopsis promised it would be. It was a thoroughly powerful story with a unique storyline that had me turning pages at the speed of light! The love story between these characters was incredibly intense to the point wherein you could feel everything between the characters; everything felt so palpable, so real and true. It added so much to the story to be able to experience the characters in such a natural, realistic way and helped me forge a tight bond with the two of them which led to me further enjoying the story. These characters definitely are some of the most well rounded characters I’ve ever read.

This story was definitely a character driven story for me as I felt that some of the descriptions of setting/events were a little too fleshed out and thus a little too difficult to plod through — so I tended to move over those and focus on the characters, which worked out well for me!

Will definitely be checking out more books from this author and would recommend it to everyone who finds the premise intriguing!
Short Synopsis:
The second in Caitlin Crew’s Cold River Ranch series follows Hannah Monroe, ex Rodeo Queen, who arrives at the ranch ready to ask for a divorce from her husband, Ty Everett. She finds that it’s much harder cut ties and leave when he doesn’t even know who she is.

Ty Everett was lucky to walk away from his last bull ride with his life, but in the process lost the last two years of his memory, which happens to include his entire relationship with a beautiful stranger claiming to be his wife. While he may not remember her, he knows deep down he’s not willing to let her just walk away.

My Thoughts:
It took me a little bit to really feel attached to the relationship between these two characters. There was a lot of pushing each other away after they spent so much time trying to find the love they once shared, and that is what really annoyed me. Ty’s personality was very much “let me put on this false smile while inside I’m a mess”. I hated that he thought himself to be just like his father (the famous mean drunk, Amos Everett) and would only chase away his family.

There seemed to be a lot of talking/dialogue in this book and, while the writing was excellent, I wished to be “shown” more instead of told. Something as simple as the weather or going about running the ranch and the physical actions that took.

Of course, I loved seeing Abby and Gray and seeing their relationship still going strong. I can’t wait to see what the author has in store for the third brother, Brady. While a “city” boy, he seems like he has a lot to offer to Cold River Ranch.

Would I Recommend:
This is my second book of Caitlin Crew’s that I’ve ever read, the first being A True Cowboy Christmas (Cold River Ranch #1). Her writing is as amazing as I remember, and even while I was annoyed with the characters, she still had the power to bring out emotions in me as I was reading and I love that quality in a writer. So, yes I definitely recommend this!
Someone send a therapist to Cold River, STAT! Those poor, tortured Everett men are in desperate need of someone to help straighten them out because good grief they are hard on their women…

When rodeo star Ty Everett first saw Miss Rodeo Forever queen Hannah Monroe, he was smitten for the first time in his 30 years of life. But rodeo queens aren’t allowed romantic entanglements, so she rebuffed his attentions. That didn’t matter to Ty, and he chased and chased until Hannah finally let him catch her. And not wanting to let down the people who helped her get to her position as queen, Hannah insisted their relationship stay secret (which included a wedding!) for the next several months - until the end of her reign.

But before they could go public, Ty is seriously injured by a bull and he no longer remembers the last two years of his life...the whole time he was with Hannah. When Hannah doesn’t hear from Ty for 18 months after his accident, she decides it’s time to cut her losses and hunt Ty down to ask for a divorce. And as much in life, things don’t go as easily as she thought they would.

When Ty feels himself inexplicably drawn to Hannah, he asks her to spend some time with him on his family ranch. With each passing day, Hannah is falling even more in love with her husband and his family, while Ty grapples with the after-effects of his injuries, his family dysfunction, and where he goes in life now that his rodeo career has ended. Throw in the emotional issues Hannah has from her childhood, and the child she wants to protect from a potentially-absent father, and there was a whole lot of drama going on. The GOOD kind of drama!

Once again, Caitlin Crews gives us a compelling, heartrending story that steers clear of the tired, cliched storylines. She steers clear of the tired, cliched writing. (Tired and cliched = SO MUCH writing about how hawt the hero is and how much the heroine’s body parts are affected…) The characters have big feelings, and they feel them all. They work through them all, without letting their hormones take over. And it’s SO FREAKING refreshing.

I did have a little bit of an issue with how things ended. Minor spoiler alert here...I think I would have liked it better if Ty’s memory hadn’t all-the-sudden come back. Yes, I know this is fiction. Yes, I know this is a romance and all the wrongs are supposed to be righted and everything upside down should be turned back to right-side-up. Of course Ty is going to get his memory back. But to me, what would have been more romantic would have been Hannah not giving up on Ty AND Ty falling in love with her again, despite not remembering their past. I like when a couple has to fight hard for their love, and I feel like the way things ended was the easy way out. But that is the ONLY thing I didn’t care for. Everything else was really, really good.

I am a huge fan of second-chance romances, I’m a huge fan of secret babies, and I am becoming a huge fan of Caitlin Crews. Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy satisfied in so many ways. I can’t wait for the final book in this Cold River Ranch series!

* thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review
"You and I are complicated, whether you remember it or not."

In Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy by Caitlin Crews, everything about Ty Everett and Hannah Leigh Monroe is definitely complicated - secret relationship, secret wedding and a secret family - and Ty doesn't remember any of it.

After a rodeo accident where Ty had been thrown and then stomped by a bull, Hannah went to the hospital to see him.  He didn't remember Hannah, but she isn't aware of his condition.  When he tells her to leave and never come back, she takes him at his word.

Fast forward 18 months, and Hannah goes after Ty to find out her status and "clean up her messy life" - is she a wife or not?  She is strong, has learned to handle what life has thrown at her, and is raising her son, Jack, alone.  What does the future hold?

Faced with the documented evidence of their marriage, Ty believes Hannah even though he doesn't remember.  His life has been on hold but now has a jump-start.

"He had a wife.  That probably meant a lot of things he didn't want to face, but it was possible it also meant that she could remind him how to live.  How to feel."

Crews paints a vivid picture of the rodeo and life on Cold River Ranch.  She develops the relationship between Ty and Hannah based on their new dynamic, and they both learn to accept the past and look forward to their future together.

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Two characters fall in love then split up, can they work through their past for a second chance? Their relationship had a lot of secrets and when one of the characters has amnesia there could be a disaster. I quite enjoyed this story.
Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Ruthie – ☆☆☆

This is the second book in the series, although I have to admit this was the first that I have read. There was enough detail to ensure that I knew enough of the romance from book one, but I may have got more in-depth knowledge of the death of the brothers' father.

I found this story to start very slowly, and as the two leads both tell us the story through their inner voice a lot, it got a bit frustrating at times. However, with Ty that made a lot of sense, given his hidden memory loss. And the confusion which a lot of thoughts can create worked really effectively.

The storyline was clever, once we got to the crux of the abandonment and hurt that Hannah had felt – and seeing her rise above the expectations that she has had placed on her was satisfying. It was an interesting insight into the loneliness of the rodeo queen role – which is not one that is often examined in cowboy romances. With cowboys it is all about friendship, so that was a rather sad thought – but now she has a chance to have girlfriends and it was rather sweet to watch.

After a slow start, I think this had an interesting and satisfying conclusion.
Wow, there was a lot going on in this story. Ty, a rodeo bull rider, has amnesia after a bad ride. His wife Hannah, who he doesn’t remember, aA1comes to find him to get a divorce. They each have a lot of baggage...separately and together, that get in the way over and over again. Throw in a child Ty doesn’t know about, and we’ve got a lot of twists in this book. I liked the characters, and their personalities. They were well-written and felt real. I got tired of repeatedly hearing about issues with their parents. That just seemed to drag the story needlessly, as did their inability to come clean with all their secrets—especially the child. I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley. This is my freely given, honest review.
Middle son, Ty Everett, was subjected to both verbal and physical abuse from his cold hearted father, until he left the Cold River Ranch, the family ranch, right after his 18th birthday, to join the rodeo and became a champion bull rider. The child of an abusive father and a mother that abandoned her 3 sons to said father, he does not see love or a family in his future and fears becoming his father, so walks around with this obnoxious grin to mask his fears. Until he lays eyes on Rodeo Queen, Hannah Monroe, daughter of a single mother, whose boyfriend, parents and grandparents had abandoned her, when she became pregnant at the tender age of 16. She has taught her daughter that men are all liars and can't be trusted, so she vigilantly chaperones her daughter, but Ty and Hannah manage to spend enough time together that they do fall in love and elope to Vegas, but must keep the marriage a secret, until her reign is over. Their storybook story crashes after a fight when Hannah finds that she is pregnant, followed by Ty falling off the bull and along with serious bodily injuries, loses his memories of the last 2 years- including all memory of Hannah and the fact that they has a baby on the way. He had told her to go away, so she went back to Georgia, but after giving him 18 months to cool off, she goes to his ranch in Colorado, to confront him and learns that she has been wiped out of his memory. It took grit to become a Rodeo Queen for 2 terms and she is not about to lose the man she loves without giving it everything that she has.

This is a bit of a tear jerker, with wonderful characters and a strong story, about dysfunctional families, fear, ranching, rodeos and second chances. I received a free ARC from NetGalley.com. this is my unbiased and voluntary review.
Hannah Monroe was left broken hearted and in disgraced. Eighteen months ago her secret marriage to Ty Everett imploded after she told him that she was pregnant. Next his near death bull riding accident wiped Hannah from his memory. Fate is not on their side. Can they save their marriage and become a family? Ty is a difficult character to connect with. He's afraid that he's like his cruel father. I understood how his abusive past influenced the man he is today. I wanted him to move forward not dwell in the past. Hannah is strong woman. I admired how she loves her baby and will sacrifice to make sure Jack isn't hurt. I wasn't sure that Hannah and Ty would be able to overcome their problems. I enjoyed seeing Hannah face Ty when she traveled to Cold River Colorado to deliver her news. I could relate to her emotions. Plus I found the rest of the Everett Family interesting. Caitlin Crews did an excellent job with this emotional story. The characters and the story kept me reading.
I received a copy of this book which I voluntarily read and reviewed. My comments are my honest opinion.
TY has amnesia he is not willing to share this fact with his family. He was thrown in a rodeo that he knows but he is missing a chunk of his life.\Hannah was the rodeo queen and happens to be married to tY only he has no idea. This rodeo queen is coming trailing for him to get his signature for a divorce.

All hell is going to break loose and things forgotten may come back but that may or not change the  love they had for each other a long time ago. This was a good read it brings a lot of emotion out.

**I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review**
A big thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. I believe this .is part of a series but it reads great as a stand alone.  I have to say the family dynamics on both sides are very odd. I mean I come from a dysfunctional family but geez!!  I enjoyed the book. I didn't understand the characters at all. Why not just tell the truth? I have amnesia, we have a baby!   The whole rodeo lifestyle is very foreign to me so it was interesting to read about that aspect as well.  3.5 stars.
Ty Everett is hiding a secret from his family. He has memory loss due to a bull-riding accident. This partial amnesia has cost him two years of his life. He is home at the Cold River Ranch and is trying to figure out his future. For starters he has a difficult relationship with his brothers. But when Hannah Monroe shows up claiming to know him, his life is really turned upside down.

Discovering that he is actually married to Hannah is shocking to Ty, to say the least. He has no memory of her at all. She can prove their marriage. What she doesn't do is to tell him that they have an infant son. On the one hand, Hannah wants a divorce. On the other hand, she still loves Ty to distraction.

Ty has an agenda. He plans on getting back on the bull. His family is fighting him every step of the way. He almost died. Will he lose the battle this time? Will Ty realize that he has more to fight for than a huge bull?

Hannah struggles to be honest with Ty - and with herself - especially considering the attitude towards men that her mother pounded into her. This was so very sad. Hannah must reach deep inside to find her own joy, her own happiness. She must learn to trust.

I loved Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy. It is the second book in the Cold River Ranch series. I love Everett family. Tough on the outside, marshmallows on the inside. Just my type of heroes. Although this book could do well as a standalone, for the sake of continuity, I highly recommend the first book, A True Cowboy Christmas. I look forward to Brady's story in The Last Real Cowboy, which will be available January 2020.

Many thanks to St. Martin's Press and to NetGalley for this ARC to review. This is my honest opinion.
I enjoyed this book, but did have some trouble getting through the first couple of chapters. Inner dialogue was a bit much. Characters were each dealing with issues. Reading how they resolved things to move forward made up for it. Some times a second chance is needed to get things right!

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my open and honest review.