Cover Image: The Birthday Girl

The Birthday Girl

While it is billed as a suspense The Birthday Girl focused more on the the build up than the actual suspense. It was an exciting read at the beginning, but the end was a bit of a let down. I was interested to see what happened to the characters, but found the end confusing.
I was provided an e-arc from netgalley to read and review

I unfortunately missed the opportunity to read
This book was different than I had expected. It went between present and twenty four years earlier. I didn’t understand what the plot was until close to the end. Once I got to the end the twist definitely made up for the rest of the book, but I wish there was more substance to the present storyline.
Very slow & confusing. The alternating timeline helped you understand the character somewhat but the book really lacked the thrills and twists you would expect in this day. Even if you didn't realize what the twist was, it is not one that is worth waiting for. I thought the writing style was good but lacked in the interest factor. Hard for me to push through
Quick and entertaining, but not really a thriller like it was made out to be. The plot is intriguing but there was a lot of build up and I ended up feeling let down,
Oh my! This book was so not what I thought! Or was it who I thought? Twists and turns and kept me guessing right to the end. Yes I kept reading until the end.
From past, twenty four years ago to the present, 40th birthday bash, Ellie threw for herself in their new Palm Springs House.
Who was Mish and Leo?
The skeletons start unraveling at the end of her birthday and people show up from her past that she hadn't seen in years.
Melissa de la Cruz wrote a wonderful novel of the rich and famous and the characters were great!

I was given an ARC from publisher and NetGalley. Opinions were my own and I was not paid to review.
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

In the thrilling, suspenseful new novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz, all of Ellie de Florent-Stinson’s secrets come to light in one eventful evening full of twists, turns, and surprises.

Before she became a glamorous fashion designer, Ellie de Florent-Stinson was a trailer-park teen about to turn sixteen. But a night of birthday celebration doesn’t go exactly as planned and descends into a night she’ll never be able to forget.

Now, on the cusp of her fortieth birthday, it appears Ellie has everything she ever wanted: a handsome husband; an accomplished, college-age stepdaughter; a beautiful ten-year-old girl; adorable and rambunctious six-year-old twin boys; lush, well-appointed homes in Los Angeles, Park City, and Palm Springs; a thriving career; and a dazzling circle of friends.

Except everything is not quite as perfect as it looks on the outside—Ellie is keeping many secrets. But hiding those skeletons has a cost, and it all comes to a head the night of her fabulous birthday party in the desert—where everyone who matters in her life shows up, invited or not. Old and new friends and frenemies, stepdaughters and business partners, ex-wives and ex-husbands congregate, and the glittering facade of Ellie’s life begins to crumble.

Beautifully paced and full of surprises, The Birthday Girl is an enthralling tale of a life lived in shadow and its unavoidable consequences.

WOW, WHAT A BOOK. Ellie is the biggest bitch that I have read about and of in years: she is simply one of those women you want to slap across the face!  At no point did I feel sorry for her: #sorrynotsorry . I read with glee what happens to her and you probably will, too: an incredible storyline and crazy characters inhabit this book. Buy it and read it on the beach next year!  (And in book club just to see if anyone feels sorry for her.)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it  🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂
To be honest I didn't enjoy this book. Half of it was rich people whining about being broke when in reality they weren't, and half of the book was deliberately confusing due to nicknames. I still have no idea who was who at the end. Altogether not a great book. I'm sure some other people might enjoy it, but I did not. 2.5 stars.
I received this ebook in exchange for an honest review. This one took me a long time to finish. It was just ok. The characters were just ok, the pacing was ok. The idea of the story was interesting. The bathroom scene with Leo during the game of truth or dare is honestly what stuck with me the most out of everything that happened in the story. The way it was described made my stomach turn. I’m sure that is the exact reaction the author was going for...perfectly executed. I can’t say I’d go around recommending this book to everyone but It was alright. I would read something else by this author though...I didn’t hate it.  Would probably make a better movie than book actually.
This is a twisted turn type book. I loved that it kept me guessing. Birthdays, especially fortieth ones including surprises. should be banned! If you like suspense extraordinaire you'll love this one!
This book was given to me by NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.  The Birthday Girl was released on August 6, 2019 by Penguin Dutton Group.

Ellie looks like she has the perfect life...handsome husband, million dollar houses, and adorable children.  Behind all of that "perfection" is a skeleton bursting with closets.

This story follows Ellie on 2 different birthdays, 24 years apart.  This is a good enough book.  Ellie is annoying.  Her husband and children are spoiled and annoying.  I spent most of the book thinking that she was a waste of talent and so many others would put her money to good use.  The skeletons were truly embarrassing.  I felt myself cringing at several points during this book.  The ending was as bad as what I was bracing myself to read.

If you like thrillers and suspense, it's an okay book if you need to kill some time.  It's not something I would read again.  I wasn't overwhelmed, or underwhelmed.  This book just left me....whelmed.

🌟🌟🌟 /5 stars
The Birthday Girl is a quick, easy thriller. Think light on the suspense with heavy drama. Highly recommended to readers who enjoy mysteries.
I didn’t particularly like this one. I don’t know what it was but the story was kind of meh. DNFed. Though I may give it another go sometime soon
After receiving The Birthday Girl from Netgalley, I also got a printed copy from the publisher. I guess it was meant to be :)

This is the first book I’ve ever read by Melissa de la Cruz and it completely sucked me in and kept me engaged the whole time I was reading it. I couldn’t put the book down once I had started!
First off, this author really knows how to write about rich people. Her nonchalant style of name-dropping and shameless way of describing the lives of the rich are enough to make you feel a little like a naughty rather starstruck voyeur. On top of that, the story is just really, really good.
The chapters alternate between the past and the present. In the past, best friends Mish and Leo set out to celebrate Leo’s sixteenth birthday. The two girls come from broken families and live in a trailer park. The story builds up to something that happens on Leo’s birthday that seems to be life-changing for the characters. In the present, Ellie, whom we may assume is either Mish or Leo in the future, is a very wealthy lady who is throwing herself a huge fortieth birthday bash. She invites people from her past and present, and the group is quite eclectic.
What blew me away was the ending. Never did I ever guess that ending. It was just so clever. I may need to reread the book. It’s simply shocking, so wait for that twist at the end people. This psychological suspense thriller is the best of the best.
I generally look Melissa de la Cruz, but this book seemed just a bit too scattered to me. It jumped back and forth between past and present, and never became cohesive enough for me to truly enjoy it. Although this particular bo0k was disappointing,  it wasn't bad enough to make me lose hope for the author. A solid 3 stars.
This book got me a little confused with the names Mish and Ellie and Leo and Mishon... who is who, you find out at the end but the doing back and forth between past and present got a little overwhelming and the end of the book was very anti climatic
Quick fun read, I found the main character to be very 'unlikeable' which sort of added to the fun of this novel!
The Birthday Girl has a great premise. Unfortunately, that's all it has--a great premise. Melissa de la Cruz, whose writing I normally enjoy, seems to have written this either in bits and pieces that were then pushed together into a "novel" or--well, it feels almost as if the author was writing a book that they didn't really want to write. It's a shame, again, because the premise is fantastic.
The Birthday Girl started off a bit slow for me. The beginning was monotonus and made Ellie seem like a whiny spoiled brat. But I think that's what the author was going for. By the end, my opinon of Ellie had totally changed. And there was a HUGE twist I didn't see coming. While the book itself was fairly good, I felt the twist at the end was more confusing than anything. I had to go back and re-read a few chapters to make sure I hadn't missed something.

All in all, it's worth a read, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list of items I want to read.
The Birthday Girl has the perfect premise - a fortieth birthday party for a woman who has it all, money, family, career - all the material trappings of wealth and envy. Told in two timelines, this  is one of my favorite styles of storytelling.  Having settled into the book, I kept wanting someone to root for - good or bad. Didn’t happen. However it was a quick read and  I overall enjoyed it but was left wanting more ‘oomph’ as all the ingredients were there..