Drowning Lessons

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2019

A destination wedding to die for....

I liked this cozy mystery book, fantastic easy beach read. However, although it was a good start in the series, I think there is some improvement room ready for the next book. It was a little slow paced at times and I found myself getting a little bit bored at times.

The main friendship between Olivia and Lexie was really good and in fact Lexie's whole dynamic was enjoyable to read. She was very easy to read and likable as well. This is a good book for anyone looking for a lighthearted mystery.

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Didn't get to this book before it was archived, so I couldn't download it after it was approved. Sorry
I enjoyed this read! It was less cozy of a mystery than I thought. It contained more scandalous elements than most cozy mysteries ever do and that worked for me. The book was a mystery but also held drama elements as well.  Lexie was a likable character and deserves the reward of the year for being an awesome friend. She is put in situations that I would have lost my mind over and/or told off my friend ten times over. She is not an investigator by any means but somehow ends up pulling off what she needs to after the death of a groomsman during a pre-wedding snorkel activity. I also enjoy how funny Lexie can be and enjoyed many of the humorous scenarios that occur during the read.

My issue with the book was that it could be slow-paced at times. As the first book of the series, there could be more work to be done for readers to discover our character and I do hope that this is why we learned so much about Lexie. I hope that the author continues to use Lexie in this series or it wouldn't make much sense for some of the background character driven knowledge we gained during the book.

Overall, there is some need for improvement in the series but it was a light-hearted mystery that still reads more than a cozy mystery. I do look forward to more of the series
Definitely a wonderful vacation/beach read.  I found myself getting "out of my book slump" with this book, laughing and just refreshed. It is a cozy mystery which is not my typical read, but freeing enough.  It is book 1 in a series and definitely a great lead in
Do not read this thinking you are reading a book you can take seriously. Sure, people die, but that barely puts a dent into the plans Olivia has for her wedding. She just adds "find the killer" and "don't let the guests know" to her maid of honor's huge to-do list. Why? Because this week-long lead-up to her nuptials will not be ruined by someone getting murdered! That pretty much sets the mood for a campy romp of a cozy. Lexie, the maid of honor, quickly finds out that a beautiful secluded island is not a magnet for the best police detectives and starts to investigate on her own. She manages to do this between other bridesmaid duties like zip lining and themed cocktail parties. Like I said, it is a campy romp. A great read when you don't really want something serious.
A great beach novel. I thought that the main character’s awkward and quirky personality really brought out the story and heightened its interest. A fun and light read that is sure to entertain.
Lexie is the maid of honor at her best friend Olivia’s extravagant wedding at the remote chain of islands of Panama. The story is told by her, when she has to guide the guests through the week, by smiling and being nice to everyone, even if anything happens.

The beginning of the book is a little slow: there’s a long background story for every step, where all the guys are introduced by detail. At last after the snorkeling one of the guys remains dead in the water, so the real story begins. There are many turns and twists in the plot, and some of them are confusingly unrealistic.

First, everybody here is an adult, so I would expect a minimal amount of responsibility. There’s a dead man, their friend, who will be missing from the wedding. No, this fact couldn’t be concealed from everybody. In the book Lexie pretends that everything is OK – even when the police finds it was a murder.

The next unrealistic point is that the police is not really interested in the case. They arrest the groom and that’s it, no more investigation, no questioning around. The police does not need some kind of evidence over there? Lexie is the only one who is curious about the killer? So the best man is dead, the groom is arrested, and the police officers just went to sailing and the wedding goes on… really?

The third one is that even two different thirty-something, handsome, drunk, single boy accompanied the beautiful and also single Lexie to her room in two different nights, after the parties. And the boys does not have any other plan than… teaching Lexie to swim! They are patiently waiting until Lexie is floating on the water or crawling like a dog in the sea in the Caribbean night… OK.

But, if you can oversee these logical problems, the wedding guests and their relations are entertaining. It is more of a drama, than a mystery: the girls’ friendship and their boyfirends are interesting and funny, it’s OK to read on a hot summer day next to the sea.
A beautifully writtwn domestic drama, sure to tug on your heartstrings and make you appreciate your relationships more . Will definitely read more book by this author.
This not typically the kind of book I find myself reading, but I was drawn to the blurb and the cover! Surprisingly, I liked it!  Drowning Lessons by Rachel Neuburger Reynolds is book 1 in the A Red Frog Beach Mystery Book series. Its suspenseful, fun and a very enjoyable read.
Alexandra 'Lexie' Martone is the maid of honor at her best friend Olivia Fowlers over-the-top extravagant destination wedding at Bocas del Toro, a remote chain of islands off the Caribbean coast of Panama. Olivia and her gang of bridesmaid have kept a file, with snarky details of all her wedding guests. When one of the members of the bridal party has a snorkelling "accident" Lexie finds herself in the middle of a mystery, she must solve in order that her best friend Olivia gets the wedding of her dreams. Except that Olivia is not your typical bridezilla, she's much more 'extra' and it takes Lexie a great deal of patience and perseverance to see this to the end! When a second member at the wedding drops dead, Lexie knows she's dealing with someone sinister and must put a stop to the murders( with the help from the local police, offcourse) before the wedding celebrations end up as a colossal failure.
I liked mostly all the characters in this book, especially our protagonist Lexie. The monologues she has with herself are too funny and too good! This looks to be the start of a fresh new series I look forward to following! I'll be eagerly waiting to get my hands on the next in the series - The Wipe Out Affair.
Thank you Netgalley, Rachel Neuburger Reynolds & BooksGoSocial for an arc!
Drowning Lessons by Rachel Neuburger Reynolds is the first book in the Red Fog Beach Mystery series, and my first book by this author.  I found this book to be fun with many twists and turns to keep me reading.  The plot and characters are well developed, and I enjoy the quirky characters in the book.  I recommend this book, and am looking forward to the next book in the series.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and the publisher.  Thank you.
It took me a bit to get into this book but once i did i couldn't put it down. Lexie, a writer, arrives on a tiny island in the Carribean to help coordinate her best friend's lavish wedding.  As her friend is turning into Bridezilla and Leslie is having to deal with a number of wealthy unpleasant friends and family the best man is found floating face down during a snorkeling trip. Everyone is a suspect, Olivia, the bride, is determined to hide the murder and the groom finds himself behind the bars as the prime suspect. Lexie is tasked with covering up the homicide, getting the groom out in time for the wedding and helping the local police solve the crime.
As another murder takes place on the island she is forced to reassess her lifelong friendship with Olivia and her own life and beliefs.
I did figure out the murderer relatively early in the book but the book was introspective, well written and captivating regardless of that.
This was a crazy one that I am already obsessed with and making all of my friends read it as well! So definitely go out and read this one. The characters are amazing and I absolutely loved the way it read. A true must read!
Drowning Lessons is the first novel in the Red Frog Beach Mystery Series by Rachel Neuburger Reynolds.

Welcome to Bocas del Toro, a remote chain of islands off the Caribbean coast of Panama. Five days of glorious sun and lush rainforest await the forty guests celebrating Bridezilla Olivia’s dream wedding—but before anyone’s got time to start working on a tan, an unfortunate snorkeling accident eliminates a member of the wedding party. Maid of honour Lexie Marino smells trouble and takes it upon herself to investigate. Sneaking and Suspicions ensue in this debut Cozy Mystery.

This book was a good place to start,  but think there is room for improvement in the remainder of the series. The book was unfortunately too slow-paced for my liking, I felt myself feeling bored as no real progress was made in the mystery when we reach the novel's halfway point.

The friendship between Olivia and Lexie, as well as Lexie's relationships with the other guests at Olivia's destination wedding, was far more compelling than the mystery itself. I enjoyed watching different dynamic's play out and the utter confusion that ensues when suddenly everyone seems like a suspect.

The novel was an easy read, and still enjoyable despite some flaws, I enjoyed exploring Lexie's world and found her perspective really compelling and she seems like a fun character to follow. I feel the novel reads more like a drama than the mystery it advertises, that being said the drama is written very well and I can only hope the mystery is also elevated as the series goes on.

A great book for anyone who wants to cozy up with a more light-hearted mystery.
Struggled to find any sympathy with the characters in this book. Like  murder mysteries to focus on the solving of the crime but this one seemed more about the romance and increasingly annoying behaviour of the characters - not for me, sorry!
I quickly became engrossed in this destination wedding/murder mystery from page one. What more could I ask for in a mystery? A great destination, adorable would be sleuth Lexie aka tall girl, a quirky list of characters and a bridezilla!!

A wedding guest winds up dead/maybe murdered? The list of suspects is long and complex because this particular guest is not the most genial person. Lexie has all she can do to keep the wedding on track now she has a murder to solve and her best friend Olivia’s wedding to save from this unfortunate event.

Lexie is brokenhearted from a recent breakup with her not so nice ex named Salty. Lexie quickly became a fun character for me and she has a lot of clues to put together in order to save the day and she assembles an unlikely team of would be Scooby Doo sleuths.

I really enjoyed this book, the characters grew on me and the mystery had a lot of twists and turns. I loved the side drama!
The story sounded fun although I felt that I would feel little sympathy for Olivia, the bride, even at this stage. By a couple of chapters in I accepted that I was wrong - I had totally no sympathy with her and little for the other characters, sadly. The venue sounds fantastic at one level with positive and friendly locals. Into this comes a wedding group. I thought that they must be in the early twenties by their general behaviours, although they were very rich for such an age, and that I was the wrong generation to 'get' their story. When I found that they were mid-thirties I knew that I was the wrong generation. Even the murder story failed me - I'm still not clear why the first one occurred and, I'm afraid, I really don't care. The Chief Bridesmaid, Lexie, turned into the amateur sleuth after a fashion but spent far too much time reminiscing about her childhood with the bride and about her various past, current and future boyfriends. The poisonous red frogs, should you lick them, were fun. The rest was not. I did not laugh at all, let alone out loud, hardly a cozy mystery more a non-mystery and I must have missed the Caribbean recipes, mouth watering or not. On the positive side, it was well written and I hope that the story appeals to others. It simply didn't for me. Sorry. Thanks to NetGalley for an advance copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review.
When I read a murder mystery, I want the book to basically be about murder and mystery. This book is mainly about 35 year olds behaving like teenagers in a childish drama.
Lexie and Olivia have been friends since the age of 5, and now Lexie is intent on making sure her friend's island wedding goes off without a hitch. When the bodies start dropping, Lexie jumps in to solve the mystery and keep the wedding on track.
The story is a pretty easy read, and i think the unraveling of Olivia and Lexi's friendship was the most engaging part of the story. Lexi is a bit annoying in regards to her relationships, but has other qualities. that are more endearing. Overall, the author did well at giving the characters enough definition to make them interesting and the crime was well paced. I actually rate in 3 1/2 stars.

I received an ARC from NetGalley, and am sharing my opinion about the book.
DNF this one. I read about 20% but I just wasn't getting on with it. I know it's supposed to be a cosy mystery but the characters react t0 finding a dead body almost like they'd react to finding a fly in their drink. Just not for me.
A very fun book,with laugh out loud moments ,I didn't want this book to end.I look forward to reading book 2 in this series.