Attracted to the Earl

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jun 2019

The premise of this story seemed intriguing, and having enjoyed the first two books immensely, I was excited for this one. However, everything about this one unfortunately fell flat for me.

To begin with, I would not call this a love at first sight novel. This a definitely a lust at first sight novel. Even though she shows up soaking wet, (it is specifically mentioned that she looked like a drowned rat), Guy is immediately aroused by the sight of her. He is also, rightfully mistrustful considering the situation with his cousin.

However, even the secrets between them are not enough to keep them from bedding each other. Even when Guy takes a nasty tumble they can't keep their hands off each other (to the point where I began to feel that their lust for one another overshadowed every other part of the book). It is a bad sign when the budding relationship between Kit and Abigail's sister Dora, was more interesting than the main one.

And then there was the ending. In which everything was quickly and a little too neatly tied up with a bow and hand delivered. Even with one source of conflict being resolved, I found it too hard to believe that everyone was so willing to overlook the vast difference in their social standings. And not only willing to overlook it, but willing to risk their own good names and reputations to lie about her past. It was just too much, and it didn't work for me at all.

Even with that, I do believe this story will still be well received by those who enjoy this author as well as those who enjoy stories where things are not always as they appear to be.

DISCLAIMER: I received a complimentary copy of this novel in exchange for my honest review. This has not affected my review in any way. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own.
Guy and Abigail's past and secrets threaten their lives. This story is about how they overcome them. I found it a good read! I received an ARC for my honest review.
Attracted to the Earl by Bronwen Evan
4.5 Stars.  A well-researched and beautifully written story with vivid characters, and a gripping storyline.  This historical story is filled with emotional angst, secrets, danger, deception, intrigue, adventure, passion and steamy romance that kept me reading until the last page!  As I was reading I thought the plot was transparent, then the author threw in a creative curve ball at the end that was truly cleaver!  I loved and recommend this book.
DNF--thank you for the free copy.  This just wasn't for me. The story quickly was unfolding in a manner that I normally don't care for.  Too much, too soon without the proper build up of chemistry.
I just really enjoyed this book. It was just really easy to get lost in this book. I will definitely be reading more by this author.
**** 4.5 Stars ****

I loved that this book had a unique storyline with a truly heroic hero and a heroine who is the definition of a strong, resilient, intelligent woman. We learn the hero’s secret right from the beginning and for that time period, it is really a huge issue. That is a time where the slightest affliction caused one to be shut away – either on a country estate or in an asylum – or more dire consequences. That was a real threat and I appreciated how the author showed the consequences of a problem that today we don’t even think twice about. The heroine’s secrets are revealed more slowly throughout the book, so don’t get impatient (as I did). I liked that the information came out in increments rather than in one big ‘reveal’ moment toward the end. Truly, this is a unique story and I enjoyed it. *** BTW – there is more than one romance in this book and the minor romance is sweet too.

I don’t know who wrote the book blurb, but to me, the part about the heroine isn’t anywhere near the view I got as I read the book. I know that it would be hard to write the heroine’s part of the blurb without giving away plot points but – well – I just thought it was way off base.

The opening scene of the book is great. It takes our hero, Guy Neville, from the ecstasy of his mistress’s arms, to rejection, to total abject fear and grief. The descriptions of his reactions are perfect – you absolutely feel his fear and his deep, deep grief as he learns that his brother has unexpectedly died – and now he is the new Earl of Argyle.

"His father’s stupid, idiot son was now the earl. The boy who could not read or write, the boy his father had beaten until he was almost unconscious on several occasions, but that still did not make Guy able to read or write . . . was now the Earl of Argyle."

Guy has been most fortunate in his choice of friends. Kit was his batman during the wars and he helped keep Guy’s secrets. Guy was a brilliant tactician, but he could neither read nor write and Kit took care of all of that for him. When Guy was severely wounded (almost died) and had to leave the military, Kit came with him. They protected each other in war – and now they protect each other in the civilian world.

Abigail Pinehurst arrived at the Argyle estate a bit over a year after Guy had inherited. Before he died, Guy’s brother had granted permission for her to search the estate for the rare Ghost Orchid so she could draw/paint it for her benefactor. You’ll love the scene where Guy first meets Abigail.

Abigail has huge secrets – painful secrets – that could ruin her and her sister, Dora. She cannot allow those secrets to come out – even if it means being a spy for the despicable Mr. Patrick Neville – cousin to Guy. She’ll do all she can to wriggle away from Patrick, but she’s pretty sure there is no way to do that.

The book is fast-paced and filled with threats and danger. I loved that once Abigail realized how honorable and trustworthy Guy was, she decided to trust him and never went back on that. So many heroines are written to be wishy-washy and Abigail wasn’t that way. Good move by the author.

I thought the resolution was a little too quick and too pat. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a blood-thirsty wench and loved what happened, it just seemed too quick and out-of-the-blue. I also had a bit of an issue with the disparity between the status of the hero and the heroine and it was not believable. It is implausible even in today’s world, so I definitely have trouble buying it in the Regency world.

"What was also so very clear was that the differences in their stations didn’t matter to him. He was not perfect, he was damaged."

I definitely recommend this book because there are so many things to love about it. The hero is what all heroes should be – as is the heroine. I liked that both of them had been through so much, but neither was bitter nor had they lost the ability to love or trust. They were both stronger for what they endured as children and adults. Definitely, a must read.

From the Author’s Note: Here’s to love, the most commanding four-letter word in the world, and the power it has to heal.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Attracted to the Earl by Bronwen Evans is a great addition to her Imperfect Lords series. Guy is a second son and unable to read or write. He was always treated badly by his father and told he was a disgrace. When his brother dies he finds himself the new Earl.
Abigail started in the gutter and has pulled herself up by being an academic. She is staying in the Earl's house drawing and studying an orchid.
Guy and Abigail are drawn to each other long before they give in to their attraction.
Attracted to the Earl drew me in from the beginning. It's an emotional ride.
Ms. Evans’ writes a riveting, emotional rollercoaster of a story that leaves you feeling drained and happy at the end of the book. Lots of secrets that are devastating especially for the time period. Guy and Abigail are perfect, maybe not in the eyes of some but their caring and sacrifices for others really stand out. Kit and Dora’s secondary romance was a very sweet addition. You don’t have to be perfect to make a difference in the world. I really enjoyed this amazing read.
As the next book in the series Bronwen didn't disappoint. Her mastery of mixing intrigue and hot sex is amazing!

I’m struggling with this review. I really liked the beginning and I loved Abigail. She’s not the typical blushing virgin we usually see in historical romance. She has been through some serious stuff and she’s such a strong heroine.  I also really enjoyed the ending, but the middle of the book felt so rushed for me. I really was hoping for more of a build up between Guy and Abigail and I couldn’t really connect to them as a couple. Overall, this was a pretty enjoyable, easy read.
Attracted to the Earl is a romance that revolves around secrets. Guy, who never wanted or expected to become the Earl of Argyle, hides behind his friend, Kit and locked doors so that no one will find out he cannot read or write. He has been belittled by his father and thinks himself stupid, although he had a successful career in the Navy. Now, his brother has died leaving him to shoulder the Earldom and fight his greedy cousin from declaring him legally incompetent. Then a beautiful artist shows up at his manor and throws his world into a tailspin. He wants to tell her his secrets and marry her, but she too has secrets.

I wanted to like this book, but it seemed there were too many side stories and past horrors that just kept popping up. Then the ending was so abrupt and tied everything up neatly, but it was a too neat and easy conclusion.  It was not the light read I was expecting, and the darkness from the characters pasts conflicted with the romantic undertones.

I received a complimentary copy of this book, opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
"Attracted to the Earl" by Bronwen Evans
This was a good story, a page turner.  A bit too much detail in the sex scenes for my reading taste.  But one can skip those page, or, read them several times, if that is what pleases you.  Loved the last two sentences of Chapter 20. Happy Reading ! !
I was gifted an ARC of this story by the publisher.  This is my honest review.
It’s not every day you get a hero with a learning disability and for that to work. This book has mystery, romance, and real moments of sweetness.  I liked it, didn’t love it but I would buy it.
Unable to read or write, an earl discovers love in the last place he expects to find it—within the embrace of a brilliant woman—in this sexy, irresistible novel.

What’s an earl to do?
 The Earl of Argyle has died suddenly, leaving his brother Guy Neville at a complete loss. The dull-witted second son, as his father used to call him, Guy is now responsible for the estate and his brother’s seat in the House of Lords.

How’s a girl to behave?
 Abigail cares for only one thing: plants. She is unconcerned about how she looks, what she wears, or the impression she makes on men. An orphan who turned to books for solace in a miserly, cruel institution, she now makes her living illustrating the greenery she adores.

I enjoyed this latest book by Bronwen Evans. This book seems to be a different take on a well known learning disability in our day.

The characters were well drawn and heartfelt.
Dyslexia was most likely the cause of the Earls inability to learn to read or write. Although his problem was seen as dull-wittedness in his day it isn't today.

I read this book very quickly in two sittings and would most likely have finished it quicker if not for my work schedule.

I gave this read 4.5 of 5.0 stars for storyline and characterization.

I received a complimentary ARC of this book to read. This in no way affected my opinion of this book which I read and reviewed voluntarily.
This was a good book and reminded me why I had liked this author..We have a second son who is forced to become an Earl when his brother dies. Guy is a soldier that is what he is good at and his background story just breaks your heart. Luckily he has a best friend Kit that is there for him as he is to him. He has an evil cousin Patrick who is looking for dirt to take the Earldom from him and blackmails Abigail into finding out what secret Guy has, this guy is a snake. Abigial and Guy are attracted to each other but both know that they will not suit, since she is a low on the totem pole and now Guy is an Earl..We have secrets, heartbreak,and eventually redemption..Enjoy!
I really enjoyed this romance! I would have read it all in one sitting if not for having class. Guy and Abigail were just both so sweet. There's a lot of build up to a big reveal that happens about 3/4 of the way through the book that I figured out in the first few chapters, but that didn't lessen the moment when other characters found out. One thing I really enjoyed was how the Abigail and Guy worked together and communicated throughout almost the entire book. The first 1/4 to 1/2 was them trying to get to know each other and so they weren't super forthcoming about their own secrets, but once they decided to trust each other it was great. And when things were revealed it wasn't "oh, how could you" it was "I'm sorry that happened to you". I really loved how they supported each other and there's a good chance I'll reread this.
I have liked books by this author previously, but honestly, this one started off wrong and never really recovered itself.  It's just my personal preference, but I hate when the book starts off with the hero in bed with another woman, particularly one he is paying to be there - his mistress.  That's right, folks, the first chapter of the book features our hero getting it on with what you might call a high-end prostitute.  Not just alluding to it, like it happened before we entered the scene, but it's active and ongoing.  So already I'm not having a great opinion of the man.  Mistresses were common then, but usually they're not thrown in the reader's face before we even get to know the hero.

And then there's the heroine.  Once we learn of her background, it makes her behavior a tad confusing.  She's uncomfortable around nobility, but literally within days she's in the hero's pants.  It's really strange!  There's virtually no development between them as a couple before the sex starts, and I felt it out of place.  I would have preferred they develop a relationship first before they jump on each other.  I could tell there was a really good story there, but, and I hate to say this, the sex got in the way.

Overall, not my cup of tea.  Will try this author again in the future though.
I’ve read the first two books in this series, and have rated them all over the place.  I didn’t ever really engage with Abigail and Guy.  I felt like Abigail had gotten herself into a bad situation that she didn’t have to be in.  I admired the author taking on Guy’s dyslexia, sympathized with him, and found his struggles believable, but I just didn’t find him all that attractive.  The story line moved unevenly, pausing to put Abigail and Guy skin-to-skin frequently.   A solid 3 overall.

Guy Neville, has become the new Earl of Argyle, after his brother's unexpected death. Unable to read, this role is one he didn't want the responsibility for after suffering a childhood of abuse and torment at his father's hand for his disability.  Now, a money-hungry cousin wants to find out what secret the Earl has been hiding in order to take over the estate. The villain blackmails Miss Abigail Pinehurst to infiltrate the Earl's home and find out anything to use against Guy. Neither Guy not Abigail can have their secrets come to light but what do they do when they find they have an instant attraction to each other?

I am a fan of this author and was interested in the storyline but a few things kept me from fully embracing the couple.  First, Guy seemed like one who easily fell for a pretty face. His fondness for his paramour that we are introduced to at the beginning of the story, seems on equal level with his feelings for Abigail.  There was not enough distinction made between love and lust. That, and the other side story of love at first sight, was a bit too unbelievable.  While the tragic background was written well, there were to many instances of easy-outs in order to move the story along. Still, Evans is a must read author for me, this happened not to be my favorite.
4.5 Stars
Reginald Neville,The Earl of Argyle has died suddenly from appendicitis, leaving his brother Guy Neville at a complete loss. Guy is now responsible for the estate and his brother’s seat in the House of Lords, he's a returning war hero but hides a secret & feels that he's the dull-witted second son, his father used to call him. He has an inability to read or write. Miss Abigail Pinehurst is a gifted artist & agreed with Reginald to draw a rare orchid, however she’s being blackmailed by Patrick Neville to find out Guy’s secret.
Another page turning engrossing read. This is the third book in the series but could easily be read on its own, however if like me you love series I’d recommend reading from the start. A well written book with characters that have plenty of depth. The pace is very good, there’s secrets, intrigue, heart breaking revelations & of course romance. I felt for both Guy & Abigail & how they were treated as children & loved that they’d both had the strength to rise above their treatment & to have become strong loving people There’s also a second romance which is also satisfying
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read