Cover Image: Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek

I love the building and personal reflection within the relationships in this novel. Whilst it is touted as a courtroom drama style book, there's definitely many many more layers to it. It is quite slow but worth it if you persevere.
This is such a good book – one of those rare novels that you can become completely immersed in, that you look forward to getting back to, a novel you want to finish because you’re desperate to know the truth, but also one you don’t want to end because you’re enjoying it so much.
I do enjoy courtroom dramas, and while ‘Miracle Creek’ is technically part of this genre, there’s a whole other layer (and more) here. The difficulties, the joys, the guilt of parenthood, the complicated feelings around motherhood, fertility, making the right choices for your child, starting a new life in another country, prejudice and racism, all these issues and more are explored through the lives of several well-drawn, authentic and compelling characters.
The multiple viewpoints add to the confusion and mystery and I genuinely didn’t guess who was responsible for the fire until it was revealed.
A fabulous debut novel and an author I’ll definitely look out for in the future.
I enjoyed this book a court room drama, it was a bit slow for me in parts but on the whole a great read.  I particularly found the Korean culture very informative and interesting.
A real who done it told from inside the Court Room.  A powerful and thought provoking read.  I just had to read it quickly to find out who had done it.
I am in charge of the senior library and work with a group of Reading Ambassadors from 16-18 to ensure that our boarding school library is modernised and meets the need of both our senior students and staff. It has been great to have the chance to talk about these books with our seniors and discuss what they want and need on their shelves. I was drawn to his book because I thought it would be something different from the usual school library fare and draw the students in with a tempting storyline and lots to discuss.
This book was a really enjoyable read with strong characters and a real sense of time and place. I enjoyed the ways that it maintained a cracking pace that kept me turning its pages and ensured that I had much to discuss with them after finishing. It was not only a lively and enjoyable novel but had lots of contemporary themes for our book group to pick up and spend hours discussing too.
I think it's important to choose books that interest as well as challenge our students and I can see this book being very popular with students and staff alike; this will be an excellent purchase as it has everything that we look for in a great read - a tempting premise, fantastic characters and a plot that keeps you gripped until you close its final page.
Sadly this was one book I had heard a lot about it but to me it was just very slow, I may try again to read it some time but as of right now it is a did not finish book so my rating reflects that which is a basic three stars.
Unfortunately I didn’t love this one as much as I was hoping to. I liked the idea behind it and the storyline, but it fell flat for me. I can see why some people love this one, but it just wasn’t for me.
Finally got around to reading this (way after my arc expired, bought the paperback!). It had me screaming at myself for waiting so long to pick it up.
It was beautiful, a legal thriller with an emotional hook.
Highly recommended.
5 stars!
I had heard so much about this book and was super excited to read it.  Sadly I didn’t enjoy it as much as other people and struggled to finish it.
apologies for late feedback - this was a DNF for me although tried to re start 3 times I couldnt get into the book at all and found it very hard going
Although it's touted as a court room thriller, at its heart, this is a book about families and what we do for the sake of the people we love. Stuffed full of fascinating characters who just want the best for their families but find it difficult to keep giving, it's a hard read at times. There's tragedy here and many heart wrenching moments, but if you can persevere through them, it's also a beautiful tale in its own way.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC without obligation.
Normally I would not pick this book up - Courtroom Drama.  What a surprise I loved it!  It delved into the characters lives, each one was realistic and had problems.  Each one could have caused the disaster.  It is the story of Korean immigrants to USA.  Everyone is into alternative treatments and a sub-baric chamber claims to cure a wide range - infertility, autism etc.  The main character wanted a better life for his family and having worked in this area in Korea wanted to set his own company up in America.  But after a terrible accident each person has to prove that they were not the culprit.  It is not a dry story, it is about family connections and the desperation of families to find a cure where there might not be one.  A really good read and one I recommend totally.
How far will you go to protect your family? Will you keep their secrets? Ignore their lies?

In a small town in Virginia, a group of people know each other because they’re part of a special treatment center, a hyperbaric chamber that may cure a range of conditions from infertility to autism. But then the chamber explodes, two people die, and it’s clear the explosion wasn’t an accident.

A showdown unfolds as the story moves across characters who are all maybe keeping secrets, hiding betrayals. Was it the careless mother of a patient? Was it the owners, hoping to cash in on a big insurance payment and send their daughter to college? Could it have been a protester, trying to prove the treatment isn’t safe?
The HBOT therapy device is owned by Pak and Young Yoo.  A lot of hard work and financial struggle went into procuring this device; there were years when they had to live apart, with Young and their daughter Mary in Baltimore, Young working round the clock for room, board, and her daughter’s private school tuition while Pak worked two jobs in Korea, squirreling away resources. Now the unthinkable has occurred—the chamber has gone up in flames with patients inside it. Two people are dead and others are horribly injured, and there’s an intensive investigation that leads to an arrest. Elizabeth, a single mother, is charged with starting the fire in order to murder her little boy and free herself from the difficult caregiver role. On the surface, the facts are damning indeed, but what the cops don’t know, at least in the beginning, is that every single person that was there that day is lying about it.

Elizabeth, Kitt, and Teresa are mothers of autistic children, digging deep and running up their credit cards hoping for miraculous transformations. The seventh patient is Matt, whose wife has pressured him into trying this treatment to raise his sperm count. The other characters in this story are the Yoo family that own and operate the chamber, and the legal teams assembled for the trial.

Most legal thrillers and courtroom mysteries hinge heavily upon what happens in the courtroom. In contrast, although what plays out in court is not unimportant, the real meat of this story has to do with the actions, thoughts, and memories of the townspeople that are involved, primarily when court is not in session. Although our point of view is the third person omniscient, specific critical details are revealed to us in stages, and what we learn at the end differs greatly from the conclusions most of us will have drawn at the outset, when we had less information.

Why do people lie, and in particular, why would anyone lie to the authorities investigating a deadly disaster like this one? Make a list of the possibilities, and as you read, you’ll see them all, a veritable potpourri of bald-faced lies and critical omissions of facts. At the end of it, we find just one (lying) person that has integrity and pure motives, and everyone else has crossed a line, not only legally but ethically. And although there’s just one character here that I’d describe as dynamic, the others are developed to an extent as their layers of rationalization, anger, fear, resentment, and greed are revealed to us.

This is an explosive debut, and Angie Kim is a force to be reckoned with. You want to read this book, and happily, you won’t have to wait long. Highly recommended.
I had no idea what to expect from the plot of this book going in, and was also somewhat wary as I had seen rave reviews and didn't want it to fall flat.
However, I needn't have worried!

This is not the kind of read you can breeze through, put down and forget about. It's visceral, and stays with you - even the seemingly small parts that are just tiny threads in the tapestry Kim weaves.

A South Korean family have recently immigrated, and run a business - where a mysterious fire breaks out. We jump forward to a year after the incident and find Elizabeth on trial for the murder of her autistic son and another customer at the business. But did she do it?

This is a courtroom drama so I don't want to say much to reveal the interlacing layers of this book, but it covers topics including parenting, special needs, race, immigration, family relationships and more.

There was just so much depth to this book - it felt like looking into a whole ecosystem of the world Kim created. It lives up to the hype!
Thank you for the chance to review this galley prior to publication. Please refer to my goodreads profile for a full review.
Miracle Creek was stunning! So intriguing and I love a good courtroom drama. Really well written story and I was shocked by the wrap up! Would absolutely be reading any future books of Angie Kim's.
I found that Miracle Creek did not live up to its hype and was fairly ponderous with a large cast that did not assist in the enjoyment of the story.
This book, for me, was on a par with Little Fires Everywhere. It is gripping, the characters are perfectly formed and described and the plot is executed so brilliantly. 10/10
This was a beautifully written family drama, intense in its plot, emotional in its character building. I was completely drawn into the court-room drama storyline and the way the author layered each character so that we slowly get to the reality of what actually happened to them. How far would you go to protect your family? And is it worth it? The way the author entices the reader with socio-ethical dilemmas is what really made this book stand out for me. Intensely heartbreaking at points, this is one if you love your family social dramas.