Lost Daughter

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 May 2019

Read and reviewed in exchange for a free copy from NetGalley. I really enjoyed this book, and got through it in an afternoon. Mercer writes well and creates sympathy for the characters, especially Rachel, and I was intrigued to find out the circumstances which led to the events of the book. I liked how the story was told from multiple perspectives, and I liked having a happy ending (not all that common in the books I read!)
This book was a really interesting, intriguing one. There were lots of twists and turns that keep the reader guessing. I felt the ending wasn't in keeping with the rest of the book as it was from the perspective of a secondary character within the book and I would have preferred to finish with the voice of one of the main characters. Nonetheless, a very good book.
I received this ARC copy from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion of it. This story centers around Rachel and two other woman who do not have custody of their children. Each person's storyline and how their lives come together.
A book with multi-layered and emotional stories.  While centered around the trials and tribulations of one family breaking apart, it also nicely weaves together three women who have experienced the loss of their children in differing and devastating ways.  Ali Mercer is new to me and I look forward to her next book!
At times, this book got extremely hard to understand. Some chapters had titles or were specific from a characters POV and others were just filler material so to speak. After Rachel, mother to teenage Becca loses her job and ends up discovering her husband Mitch has been cheating with her coworker, Rachel loses it. She strikes Mitch which costs her both her marriage and her daughter, who wants very little to do with her mother. The story mainly surrounds Rachel's attempts to work her way back into her daughter's life.
The story alternates between the current situation and the events that led up to it. Again though often times those lines seem to be jumbled making it confusing. It was a good story, but the layout of it just made it hard to read.
Lost Daughter by Ali Mercer is an engrossing and heart-rending journey through motherhood, loss, and heartbreak.  Within, the author has given life to characters that will stay with the reader long after the final page has been turned.

Rachel is a woman struggling to come to terms with her surrendering of primary custody of her daughter, Becca, following an ugly altercation with her husband.  At the heart of the dissolution of the marriage is the love and loyalty of a thirteen year old daughter.  Trying to come to grips wth the family's new reality, Rachel meets Leona and Viv, two women who, through very different circumstances, have also redefined the stereotypical maternal relationship with their children, and the women form a bond in this commonality.

This is an emotive read that will surely tug on the heartstrings of anyone on either side of the mother/child relationship.  The primary characters are well-developed, and I have not read a more empathetic figure than Rachel in recent memory.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for this ARC.
You've lost your right to see your child. Becca was your precious joy. Her father wasn't perfect nor was your life but it was all you had. Nothing was as you might've thought so now what?
Your friends perhaps weren't the best friends but Leona and Viv I presume did their best. OR did they?
Well, I guess Mitch was the one that started it all with the affairs and all but he was the problem not you, right?
Geez this is a heck of a read, so I hope you get the chance to do so, and don't forget leave a review.
Thank you to Ali, the publisher, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
A new author for me and I wasn't sure about it at first but I kept on reading and enjoyed it.  It is a well developed story with good characters although a heartbreaking and sad read.

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
If you think photos aren’t important… wait until they’re all you have left of your child.

Your life isn’t perfect, but you’re still happy. Your husband has stuck by you and he’s a good dad. Your daughter Becca makes your heart explode with love. And then, in the time it takes to say ‘bad mother’, there’s no longer a place for you in your own family. Your right to see your child has disappeared.

Life goes on in your house – family dinners, missing socks and evening baths – but you aren’t there anymore. Becca may be tucked up in bed in Rose Cottage, but she is as lost to you as if she had been snatched from under your nose.

Everyone knows you deserve this, for what you did. Except you’re starting to realize that things maybe aren’t how you thought they were, and your husband isn’t who you thought he was either. That the truths you’ve been so diligently punishing yourself for are built on sand, and the daughter you have lost has been unfairly taken from you. Wouldn’t that be more than any mother could bear?

Lost Daughter is a very heartbreaking novel. I was hooked and felt anger, sadness and needed it to be a happy ever after.
Thanks as always to NetGalley for the advance copy.
Enjoyable and a fun read!

The story caught my eye from the moment I read the blurb, and I just knew I wanted to read this book. I was not let down and can recommend this to everyone!