In the Kitchen with Grandma

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Aug 2019

I like the concept of this cookbook. As someone who grew up cooking with her grandma, it’s a wonderful tool for creative ideas to make with the kids in the kitchen. Obviously, it’s not exclusive to grandmothers, I could see parents or even grandpa getting in the kitchen with the kids too!

The recipes are divided into Chapters of Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Year-Round, Holidays and Special Days with Menu Suggestions. At the back of the cookbook, there is an index with a list of all the recipes under type, such as Beverages, Breads and Spreads, Main Dishes, etc. Each recipe has a rating of 1 to 3 Spoonfuls for difficulty, along with prep time and options to make gluten-free if possible. The ingredients are listed as “Gather with Grandma”, and the direction are listed as “Make with Grandma”.

At the back of the book, there is a special chapter “Sharing Your Faith with Your Grandchildren”. This cookbook is published by a Christian publishing company and the author has “A Spoonful of Sharing” sprinkled throughout the book, which has Bible quotes and suggestions to talk with the grandkids.

I did like the variety of recipes and felt they were creative and fun for children. I have many recipes marked to try and look forward to making them with my grandchild. I do wish that there were at least a few pictures of the recipes. Not necessarily all of them, but it would have been nice to have a few especially for the children to see what they’re trying to make. Overall a nice cookbook with wonderful recipes and ideas to get in the kitchen with the little ones!
In the Kitchen with Grandma presents recipes for seasonal and special occasions that are to be made by an adult with a child or children.  Encouraging children in the kitchen provides insights for them in just how food comes to the table.  I was able to read this cookbook in one session.  I would have liked to see a breakdown of the adult vs. the child food prep as in adult only, child only, and child with adult assistance tasks.
I tried cooking with my two daughters when they were younger. Our life was busier then and they really didn't have an interest. So when my grand kids came along, I tried again with much more success. I would have loved a book like In The Kitchen With Grandma. I had to go to the library and look through children's cook books, tying to find something fun and easy enough.  And there wasn't a lot to chose from at that time. Lydia has some great recipes included in her book. I love the way she has them marked in degrees of difficulty. My favorite part of the book is  “A Spoonful of Sharing. She has a section at the end of the recipe to give you ideas on what to talk about and how to relate scripture or talking about God in the time you have with your grandchild. After all, this is all about making memories with them. What better way to form a lasting impression than to shower them with love and  God's word. I loooove this book. I would recommend it not only for grandchildren but maybe it can be used in some daycare or childcare settings. Wonderful book, I could see using it many times. I enjoyed reading it, just to read. Her ideas were so interesting. I received a copy of the book from Harvest House Publishers through NetGalley. The opinions in this review are my own.
This cookbook is a collection of recipe and menu ideas by a grandma who loves cooking with her five grandchildren. Before the recipes, there is a brief section on general cooking hints and tips as well as those about working with children in the kitchen. These aren't stated as big, stuffy rules but rather ways to better enjoy the time spent.

In a surprising variation on the way cookbooks are typically structured, this is divided by season starting with spring. In terms of recipes, there's nothing really new here, as the recipes are mostly straightforward, though sometimes whimsical, and most would be fun to make with children of any age. The younger ones will enjoy some of the creative ways to make food more fun as well as silly names like Zippy Dip and Bananapillars. Many of the recipes have a small box at the end that give suggestions about things to discuss with the children about the recipe or the ingredients as it is being made; most of these have a Christian bent to them. There is a creative set of menus at the back of the book. Not just the usual holidays suspects like Thanksgiving and Christmas are covered but also more fun menus that grandma could enjoy with the kiddos like tea for two and a teddy bear picnic for Grandparents Day as well as menus that could satisfy both children and adults, like a patriotic picnic for the 4th of July and some pack-along snacks for the seashore.

Ultimately, this is a fun cookbook that any grandparent who enjoys cooking with their grandchildren would find a nice addition to their library so long as you don't mind the use of so many scripture quotes and references to Christianity.
A. Very well written cookbook. Recipes are easily broken down to show what to do with Grandma. Clearly shows preparation time and baking time. There are also rankings of spoons of difficulty to indicate how hard each recipe is.
 I may not be a grandma but I will love doing some of these recipes with my children. Please note most measurements are in the US cups. So UK readers will need to convert. But don’t let that put you off.
Very cute book with so many great ideas. These are more than just recipes - these are wonderful bonding activities that I can imagine kids and grandparents delighting in. Wish it had pictures.
Each recipe is presented clearly with instructions, ingredients, cooking time and levels of difficulty. A comprehensive book which could be a fun activity for grandparents and grandchildren alike.
I loved my grandma’s (Mommom to me) cooking. The only person who cooked as well as Mommom was my mom. But then, Mom learned from the best! So, when I saw this cookbook I couldn’t resist.

As I had hoped from a book such as, IN THE KITCHEN WITH GRANDMA, this book contains some good ole’ old fashioned dishes. But author Lydia. E Harris also includes some fun dishes with equally fun names. In chapters listed by the seasons, holidays, are recipes like 7UP Shamrock Biscuits, Luscious Lemon Curd, Triple Play Bean Salas, Out-of-the-Park Cheesy Potatoes, Solar Eclipse Toast, A-Maze-ing Corn Chowder with Sausage, Crock-Pot Irish Stew, Mac ‘n’ Cheese Cups, Meat Turnovers, Personal Pizzas with Pizzazz, Banana Split Bowls, Cranberry Shortcake with Butter-Rum Sauce, Batter Balls, Scone Blossoms, Chocolate Crispy Crunchies, and more. I already have several picked out to try myself!

As with several cookbooks I’ve reviewed recently, IN THE KITCHEN WITH GRANDMA contains no pictures. I can only assume this is due to cost, but it can make for a boring cookbook. I love food pics. Photos aside, this was a nice book. Some really good recipes in varying degrees of difficulty. There are dishes for just about every taste not matter the age.

IN THE KITCHEN WITH GRANDMA is published by a Christian Publishing house so they are Bible verses scattered about, and even a chapter on sharing your faith with children. Since my Mommom was a minister and I am a Christian, I find that aspect of this book very warming.
When I noticed this book on Net Galley and received it, I was so interested and I was right to be. This is a lovely book for anyone who wants to cook with their grandchildren or even children (why not ?). It is delightful, the story is amzing, and the references to The King James Bible always show us the state f mind of the writer as well as her kindness and faith in the human heart. Very nice recipes which will be fun making with kids.  A must read I recommend heartily!
It was really surprised by this one. An interesting take. Enjoyed reading and look forward to another book. Review will be up soon on the blog
This is a really sweet cookbook. It has some great sounding recipes and tips for making memories with your kids. I can't wait to try some of the recipes. Thank you Harvest House publishers via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. This is my honest opinion.

Delicious Moments Made to Last

As a grandma, what could be sweeter than cooking up something wonderful with your grandchild? Celebrate the gift of good food and grandparenthood in this collection of recipes, wisdom, and tips from grandmas like you.

You’ll discover dozens of delicious recipes, including many that are gluten-free, you and your grandchild will love making…and eating! But more importantly, you’ll have the opportunity to create lasting memories, and share your faith and life lessons with your special little helper.

Each recipe is grandma tested and rated for difficulty, so you can always find a tasty treat that fits any child’s age and skill level. Along the way, you’ll be inspired by select Scripture verses and get more great ideas for connecting with your grandkid.

From Floating Frosty Snowmen in January to Peppermint Angel Cake in December, you and your grandchild will enjoy spending time in the kitchen all year long.

Let’s go make some memories!

This is an adorable book for grandmothers and their grandkids to read and cook through - heck, grandpas should and could do it too!  The story is cute and the recipes look fun to cook: it would be FUN if in printed format (I am reading it on a Kindle) that it had a pocket for a photo (i.e. an old school physical print) of the dish that they made and a spot for a photo of them cooking together!  I adored this book and cannot wait to work our way through it - I wish that there were photos of the recipes as well. I know, picky, picky, picky.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millenials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 	👵👵👵👵👵
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

I loved spending time with my grandma and I remember the things we made. And now, she's been gone for over 5 years and when I try to make some of her recipes, they never taste as good. Because cooking with grandma tastes like love. I

The format of this book is easy to understand. The extras like how to make gluten-free are a nice addition. The recipes are fun for kids to make and will create lasting memories that surely they will want to pass on to their kids and grandkids.

Finally, thanks for giving me a use for the root beer extract in my pantry!
I loved this sweet book, it's interesting and well written.
I loved the recipes and want to try some of them.
An entertaining and interesting book, I think it can be appreciated by everybody.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.