Cover Image: Coral

Coral

‘There is more than one way to drown’.
Coral is a reimagining of The Little Mermaid. It is told from three perspectives and has an undercurrent of mental health. It started strongly but I felt the story thread from Coral’s became confused. And as it went on the whole story became a little confused. It lost its way for me. I feel it may be for a younger audience than myself, as had some definite American YA aspects to it. I did struggle to read to the end as I lost interest. Sadly, it wasn’t the full on fantasy I was expecting.
I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed are my own.

Mermaids and mental illness? Sign me up!

This book turned out to be a bit cringey and I struggled with it a lot. I was excited to see that it owned up to the "tragic" themes in Hans Christian Andersen's original Little Mermaid and that it had elements of dealing with mental illness. But it wasn't quite compelling enough to keep me from rolling my eyes at a lot of it and I really struggled to get through what I did before abandoning it.
This was a good story. It was fairly easy to read and pretty easy to keep up with, just not sure if it was really my thing.
This was so sensible and nice, although confusing when it comes to the narrative. I really liked it.
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I tried to read this on multiple occasions, even starting completely over twice. I just can't get into it and that saddens me. I was extremely excited to receive this book but unfortunately it isn't grabbing me.

For now I am DNFing this at 18%. There's not much of a plot and other reviews I keep seeing say the plot doesn't hit until half way through. I'm not one to suffer through a book that isn't keeping my attention for the hope it will get better.

Why are there three points of view? Who are the two that aren't Coral? Why do I need to care about them? Nothing is making sense and the characters are really flat for me making me not care about what happens. New characters just keep getting thrown in with no explanation like the reader should know who they are and why they're here and I just don't care for that type of writing.

I love the premise of this book. I may try and go back to it at some point in time. If that time comes I will be starting in Chapter Seven because I don't think I can make it through the first 18% for a fourth time.
I am a self obsessed mermaid fanatic. I was excited for this book to make it to my kindle. There was a lot of love about this story. The nuance of taking an old myth and making it new. fresh, and different than the other retelling. The blending of the story below and above the water was so fascinating to me especially as a person who loves to ocean and imagining what lies below.
My main complaint about this book is how dark it felt to me. Sits a very heavy subject matter at times, and while that's not a bad thing, it wasn't what I was hoping for from my newest. ok about mermaids.
The Little Mermaid was my favorite fairy tale growing up. I wanted to be Ariel. I even wanted red hair (and when I grew up I even dyed my hair red for years)! So naturally when I saw that a modern retelling of The Little Mermaid I knew I had to read it.

What I expected, though was a light-hearted, sweet story. And what I got was completely different from that. In fact, I had just finished a bit of a heavy read so I was going for something light intentionally. But this book is not light. Although moments of it are sweet.

It took me a while to get into. In fact, I was a little disappointed in the fact that the story was split into three perspectives. And they confused me because none of them seemed to go together at all. Usually that isn't an issue for me, but I think my expectations for this book made it confusing. I didn't want to quit on the book though. I wanted to keep going. So I adjusted my expectations and persevered. I'm glad I did.

It's a wonderful modernization of the story, weaving the idea of mental illness throughout while also dropping perfectly placed nods to The Little Mermaid we all know and love.

Overall it was well done. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had not gone in with the expectations I did. But that's okay.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read and review this title. I will review this title at a different date.
This book was so unexpected in where it went! I did not see the entire thing being a fictionalization of a trauma for the main character to get through a time, but it was a great surprise at the end of the book.
I wanted so much more from this. The story was interesting enough BUT the writing style was unreadable. Every other sentence was a metaphor or an idealisation of something or someone. NO. I couldn't follow the story or care about the characters.
I appreciate a dark fairytale retelling, and I am gracious for mental health issues being spotlighted, but this book was terribly confusing. It often seemed as if the author didn't know which direction she wanted to take, or which plot line to explore. Jumbled storylines and unforgettable characters just don't go hand in hand. I did not finish Coral.
Before I begin, this book contains a lot of trigger warnings. Its main subject is mental illness, so it talks about depression and anxiety in great detail. It also goes into self-harm, suicide, and there are also hints at abuse. Please make sure you are in the right mental state to read about these subjects before going into the book.

With that out of the way, I have to say this book did not at all turn out the way I expected. I knew it was going to be about mental illness and depression, but I wasn't expecting it to describe it in such detail. It's very heavy stuff but I think it was done respectfully and-- basing it only on my own experiences and knowledge of psychology-- I thought it did a good job representing these things. At first I wasn't entirely understanding why the story was presented in a certain way, but once I figured it out I could follow along better. It also presents very realistic scenarios for these characters to go through. Even though it does carry a fairy tale aspect, the characters are multi-dimensional and have their flaws. Things aren't perfect in their lives or with their families, and I get more a sense of peace at the end than a "happily-ever-after".

The book is focused on these characters struggling with mental illness in themselves or with family members, so there isn't much by the way of plot. It's very much a mental journey. But I don't think enough books talk about mental illness in this manner, so I really liked it. Probably the most important aspect was how much it emphasized that mental illness is just that: an illness. And I also like that there was no big villain or antagonist in the story. Even the characters who hurt the main ones were shown in different lights and weren't played up as the main factors in depression or attempted suicide.

This is a rough subject to write about, but I feel it's important and I'm glad this author was brave enough to do it. It dealt with the subject in a mature, compassionate way.
I had heard so much about the book and the basis of how mental health was being explored in the book. While that part of it was really nicely done and so emotional, I spent a lot of time forcing myself to connect with the book.

It’s full of mental health triggers and if that’s something that can set you off, do not venture into this book till you’re in a better mental state to consume it.

You tell me that a book is inspired by and based on The Little Mermaid, and I will buy it or download it or whatever I need to do to consume this kind of content. But there was so much about this book that just weighed me down. It wasn’t just the mental health part of it, the storyline confused me and I found myself getting lost along the way and being unable to enjoy it.

I personally think that I read it at the wrong time in my life, maybe the situation I found myself in made it difficult for me to truly just enjoy the book. To understand the storyline and relate to the characters. I felt a sense of relief when I was done with the book because it felt easier to just close it than try to wrap my head around what actually was going on with the book.
Good book with some triggers! Overall an enjoyable concept! The setting was realistic, good work by the Author.
I love fairy tale retellings, so this reimagining of The Little Mermaid appealed to me instantly. I've always found TLM to be a more melancholy story, and the exploration of Depression and mental illness in this book exacerbated that, for better and for worse.

I love that this book foregrounded and focused on mental health in a way you don't often see -- even if it made for hard reading at times, it was very cathartic.

The weaker elements for me were the fantasy and world-building -- they felt somewhat flat and unrealised, as though they hadn't really been developed beyond the initial idea which meant parts of the story dragged or felt shallow.

Overall, I loved the ideas behind this book but felt the execution was somewhat lacking.
Thank you for the chance to read this early. I unfortunately was unable to finish and DNFed it around 30%.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

I cannot even tell you how excited I was to read this book.
I'm a huge mermaid fan in general, and who doesn't adore The Little Mermaid?!
This book was written well.   It was easy to read and follow.
It was interesting, but a TAD slow at times.
This was a very good book. Solid 3 star!.

I really don't want to discuss the plot because I want everyone to discover this story on their own terms. It's intricate. It's was pretty much what I thought would get from this book so It did not disappoint me because I expected it to be a 3 star but I was hoping for more.  .

Thank you to NetGalley and publishing company for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I was so excited for Coral because I love the little mermaid and retellings. However, I found Coral to be a bit of a let down. It’s not a bad story and it does deal with some real problems but it could have been so much better if it was focused more on its main story and less on the retelling tie ins.
It’s really hard to point out my dislikes of this novel without ruining the story. I feel like it just wasn’t for me and some may enjoy it so I would hate to ruin it. I wish I could have enjoyed it more.
Oh, my friends! Coral is probably one of the hardest books (emotionally) I've read, maybe ever. There is a ***TRIGGER WARNING*** in the beginning of this book for a reason. (read the trigger warning here) Sara Ella has approached a very real and very HARD topic in Coral. And she delivers it beautifully!

This story is a reimagining of The Little Mermaid but not in the "expected" sense. The doors that this story opens...the rooms of the mind that are explored...is truly astonishing. Anxiety, PTSD, depression, manifest themselves differently in every person...but there are definitely aspects I personally could relate to throughout this entire book. Although the events portrayed are not things that I have experienced, the characters, their emotions, their struggles, were one hundred percent relatable.

I loved the relationships portrayed. Between family, friends, more than friends...And I appreciated the approach Sara Ella took in this story. I wish I could elaborate more on this, but #spoilers. Needless to say, this was a VERY tough read. I had to put it down several times after reading just a couple chapters. I needed time to digest and process the emotions and information. Yes, I WOULD read this again. Yes, I recommend it to Young Adults (parental discretion heavily advised). Yes, I think Sara Ella portrayed mental health in a unique and real way. Have I recovered from it yet? Absolutely not.

I truly hope that this book will help to open minds and conversations about mental health. I loved this story and thought that the ending was wrapped up really well. And left me with a feeling of hope.

I received a complimentary copy of Coral from the publishers. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.