Cover Image: The Beekeeper of Aleppo

The Beekeeper of Aleppo

Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced reader copy, this book is so beautiful and incredibly moving! It’s also unlike anything i usually read and I truly enjoyed it.
I read this book a while ago, but really liked it.  I found the story compelling.  I learned some of the history of Spain too.  I found the writing style very readable.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this. I will be posting a full review to Goodreads, Amazon, and Instagram.
This book will challenge you in the paragraph to paragraph, chapter to chapter reading of it (style) as well as in content. It's hard because it causes you to face the reality of your cushy life, while also showing you the universality of human nature.

Read it to get a peak into the side of the world you know so little about while learning you're actually not far from it.
I received a free e-copy of The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri from NetGalley for my honest review.

This book is a work of art.  A book to be cherished, loved and read again.  An absolute must read!
This book will grab readers and tear a little piece of their heart. It’s a story about a humble beekeeper who is fascinated by the wonders of bees. He lives in war-torn Syria and watches as bombs fall on his neighborhood, people are murdered, children are recruited as soldiers and everyone’s life is in danger. After losing family and his livelihood, he decides to follow his cousin to England. The trek for refugees fleeing to a Western country is dangerous and arduous. Not only is it far, but there are many ready to take advantage of those desperately running from the terrors at home. As a result, many give up or die in their efforts to escape.

Nuri is the beekeeper and he is traveling with his wife Afra, who is now blind. Mustafa is the cousin who first left for England and who encourages Nuri to follow. Nuri has flashbacks to his earlier life with his family, his bees and his cousin who’s also his business partner. He tries to assuage the fears of his wife and the children he encounters on the trek. He is tender and loving, a good man. But the road to safety in England is filled with obstacles and roadblocks.

Lefteri wrote this book after working with refugees in England. She was moved by their stories of the human toll from the atrocities that forced them to flee. Nuri is affected by all the tragedy around him. Death and pain and the abuse of women and children permeate the landscape everywhere he travels. His journey takes him through Turkey and Greece. In addition to the long waits and uncertainties of relying on strangers to help move the couple forward, there’s the added stress of applying for the status of asylum. Nothing that faces Nuri and Afra is easy or free of danger.

The novel is about the psychological ramifications of violence. It is powerful, thoughtful and will open reader’s hearts to those seeking to escape a world of terror. The writing is beautiful at times – especially when Nuri talks about the gentle bees and his affinity for them. This is a realistic portrayal of surviving the horrible tribulations of seeking safety and dealing with a world of violence and cruelty.
This was a beautifully written book that has stayed with me for days after reading. It took me on a rollercoaster of emotions and captivated me through the whole story.
This was a well written book but terribly sad.  It is a story of a relatively wealthy beekeeper and his blind wife as they flee the war in Syria.  They have lost their son’s life and Nuri’s wife’s eyesight to the bombing and belatedly decide to flee.  Their destination is Britain where they hope to meet Nuri’s cousin and begin a new bee colony.  This is a terribly sad book that successfully conveys what a country like Syria has become after years of fighting.

Smugglers help get them out of Syria but every step is fraught with danger.  Buildings have been bombed out, food is scarce or non existent, friends have been killed or have fled but leaving one’s home is an agonizing decision to be forced to make.  Every step of this escape is well described and believable.  The difference between this story and those of many others is that the very best smugglers can be hired and their odds of survival are higher than most poverty stricken migrants who have drowned in the Mediterranean on flimsy boats or have been victimized along their perilous journey.

I can’t say that I would recommend this book.  It is brutally honest, well researched, well written but just terribly sad.  I received an advance copy for an honest review and it was a very difficult book.
Thank you to NetGalley for my e-copy of this book.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo tells the story of husband and wife Nuri and Afra.  Nuri is a beekeeper and Afra, his wife, is an artist. They live in Aleppo, a Syrian city which is destroyed by war in the book. Nuri and Afra are then faced with the impossible decision to leave the only city they have known as home or stay in a place where they will fear for their lives.

This book is memorable and features beautiful character development, I cared for the story and the characters. This book feels very timely and encouraged a deep empathy in me for the story, which so many in real life have gone through.

I highly recommend!
Whew. Profoundly heartbreaking and horribly beautiful. The craft is exquisite, the tenderness is palpable and the hope is aching. And the trauma is bone deep. From Aleppo to England, this tale of seeking refuge and asylum from a beautiful home torn into pieces and battered beyond recognition broke my heart and won’t leave me anytime soon. Oh, and there are some bees in there too.
Syrian refugees, Afra and her husband Nuri must flee to save their lives.  They have lost their young son to a bomb and they are adrift.  Nuri's livelihood is as a beekeeper, in business with his cousin.  Afra is an artist who has been blinded by the bomb.  The book follows them as they flee from one terrible place to the next, at long-last ending up in the UK through significant, available cash and the encouragement of the business partner cousin.

The book takes you on a frightening journey with them on their trip and ALL THE WAITING to get to a place of safety.  There is corruption and violence, assault and insecurity.  This is a modern day story and it is from the
What a touching story. Although it’s another 3-star read in the lineup of “average” books I’ve seemed to stumble upon, it’s certainly one that I enjoyed more than the others and will recommend to people who enjoy historical fiction (about more recent “history” to be accurate).

The Beekeeper of Aleppo is a novel that deals with the movement of refugees from Aleppo in Syria to Europe during the Syrian Civil War. And like I said, this is certainly a fiction novel, but it’s based on the author’s experience while volunteering in Athens at a refugee center. I wish I’d known that before reading the book, but it wasn’t until the Author Notes page that I found out. I think I would’ve felt more connected to the character with that knowledge.

The writing is lovely, and that’s a big reason behind why I gave this 3-stars (because to me, 3-stars is a good rating). The connection to the characters and story, while I did occasionally feel, was rather flighty and didn’t maintain its grip for long. That, and I did, sadly, find myself a little bored at times.

Other than those things, you’re just going to have to take my word that this is a book I think people should give a chance. It surrounds important topics (immigration, family, war, etc.), the writing is good, and what more do you need to give a book a chance?

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of this book!
This book relates the experience of Syrian refugees attempting to flee their home from the scourges of war.  While this is a novel, the unimaginable horrors obviously ring true.  It is quite a difficult book to read but everyone should read it, specifically because of the difficulty and timeliness.
The ever pervasive theme of "what does one see" is so well-explored and in such different contexts.  This is a must-read.
This book is definitely worth a read! It's important for authors to continue to write from multicultural perspectives - even if the reader doesn't have a passport, it feels as though they've traveled a thousand miles through the words on the page. Without giving too much away, I would definitely recommend this beautifully written, heart-wrenching book.
I really want to like this novel and because of that, I'm going to put it down, walk away, and try it again when I've taken a break. There are so many aspects that I find appealing to the idea of this novel that I don't want to pan it until I've really given it a try. For now I'm rating it as "good" and will come back when I've given it another shot with a final update.
This is a very good book that is very hard to read. Probably one of the hardest books to ingest that I have read in quite some time. The story is so raw and real that you feel the pain and sorrow and grief of the characters. But it is also beautifully written and sincere. I had to take this one in very slowly, but it was worth it in the end.
This was one of the better books I read in 2019, and I have already adopted it for my Modern British Literature course. It's poignant and engaging, with rich characters that propel the narrative without the need for action-packed scenes or hugely traumatic storylines.
This is the heartbreaking story of Syrian refugees Nuri, Afra and their son Sami.  This well written, gripping novel follows this family as they weather the horrors of war in their country and ultimately decide to leave.  Nuri is a successful beekeeper with his cousin Mustafa.  Afra is an artist and when she witnesses her son Sami's death, she is blinded by the trauma.   Nuri and Mustafa's beehives are deliberately burned and destroyed, resulting in Mustafa's decision to leave for Europe with his family.  Nuri and Afra stay behind for awhile and then they too join the difficult and dangerous exodus out of Syria, winding up in Greece before they arrive in England where Nuri hopes to join Mustafa in a new beekeeping business.

Ms. Lefteri has produced a book which will make you very grateful for the food in your home, the roof over your head and the safety of your neighborhood.  Nuri and Afra's story will stay with you long after you have finished this book.  It is truly unforgettable and I am very glad I was able to read it.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author Christy Lefteri, and the publisher Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for the wonderful experience of reading this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Nuri is a beekeeper in Aleppo, Syria, living a quiet life with his wife Afra, an artist, and their son, Sami. They are forced to flee Aleppo for Britain when the war destroys everything around them, including taking the life of their dear son.

I enjoyed this story of their journey to find safety and each other again after their horrible losses.  The romance that still exists between Nuri and Afra after such tragedies is both painfully and beautifully written, inspiring hope in the most awful situations.
This book was incredible, but not an easy one to read. It was filled with heart ache and devastation. Without giving too much away, it was a book giving a voice to the refugee experience. It was horrifying, especially know that these atrocities were occuring in my life time. I would highly recommend this book to everyone looking to diversify their reading and learn more about the world, but be prepared for heartache.