Dating by the Book

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Jul 2019

***Thank you to NetGalley, Kensington Publishing Corporation and Mary Ann Marlowe for the arc. All thoughts and opinions are my own.***

If you like a slow burn, then Dating by the Book, by Mary Ann Marlowe, is a great choice. Left at the altar, bookstore owner and author Maddie is over love. When a reviewer accuses her of not knowing a thing about passion, she sets aside her reservations and goes in search of a real-life romance hero so she can prove him wrong.

I really liked this book. A slow burn is not for everyone, but I thought Marlowe did a great job with the long game. I honestly didn’t know who Silver Fox was, but I adored the Silver Fox reviewer idea. I found Maddie easy to relate to and she showed excellent growth, healing her broken heart. If I had one complaint, it would be that I wish Maddie hadn’t spent so much time in her head at the beginning of the story. There were moments in the story where I wished it had moved faster, but by the end the pacing made perfect sense.
This was a really cute romance! I really enjoyed the characters and their development throughout the book.
This was a sweet and enjoyable story. Mary Ann Marlowe is a new author to me, and I found I liked her writing style. It flowed well, was easy to read, and kept the reader engaged and entertained.
The story certainly had a lot of promise, and to a large extent, it was well executed. The characters were well developed, even those more secondary to the story, and it was easy to become invested in the small cast of main players. The dialogue was often witty, and Maddie’s verbal jousting with the Silver Fox often brought on a smile.
The only real negative I have is that it took way too long for Maddie to discover who was Mr Right for her. I love a slow burn, but Maddie’s stubbornness to accept what was right in front of her face became a bit frustrating after a while. Her toing and froing became a bit monotonous, and after a while I really wanted Mr Right (no spoilers) to walk away and leave her to it!
Regardless, I did enjoy this story. It was light, with a good sprinkling of humour, lots of snarky repartee and generally a feel-good book. It was a great way to pass a rainy Sunday.
I thought I was going love this book, a rom-com set in a small-town bookstore.  In the end, I liked it but had a hard time with the main character  She was so insecure and reacted childishly when events didn't go her way.
However, the writing and plotting were good once I got past my frustrations with Maddie.

Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Dating by the Book a such a great bookish rom-com! Maddie is a twenty-something bookstore owner, and secret author of fantasy novels. Books are such a big part of this novel which I loved, there's references to lots of classic novels and their romances. As things unfold Maddie tries to figure out how to keep her bookstore afloat and who her 'romantic hero' is and if she even wants one at all. I found the plot to be a little predictable, which is by no means bad because I love some good romance tropes. I suppose it just felt obvious to me who she would end up with from the start even though it could have been any of the men, that might have been the intended impression though. The only other negative that I have is that I found some of the writing to be a little awkward at times but that could just be me,

I wouldn't detract stars for this but I also need to confess that I passionately dislike the cover. I kind of just wish it did better justice to the book, the bright pink and the dress just don't seem to represent what's inside very well, in my opinion anyway. I could totally imagine a cute illustrated and slightly bookish cover, in the same vein as the ones on trend at the moment.

I adored this book, I was addicted and it had me reading until late to finish it because I really didn't want to put it down. I'm definitely planning on keeping an eye out for other books by Marlowe!

Thank you NetGalley and Kensigton book for a free review copy!
This is a fun, quick read that mainly takes place in a bookstore.  Maddie, the bookstore owner, is left at the alter.  Not only does she have to come to terms with that she is aslo having to save her little bookstore.  There are the usual small town characters that made me chuckle along with an old high school "friend" who makes her life interesting.
I tried to read this book but I couldn't seem to connect with the main character. Unfortunately, this book was a DNF for me.
This was a very sweet story that felt very Hallmark movie to me. Had some fun book references, interesting characters. The story didn’t wow me - but it was fun.
This book was not really my cup of tea. I didn’t really relate to the main character, Maddie. Months ago she was left at the alter and is now running a bookstore in her small town. She has also written a novel under a pen name that no one knows about.

When the first review comes in with 3 stars Maddie is first incensed at the criticism of the reviewer known as Silver Fox, their correspondence turns into another kind of relationship and with the anonymity of the internet, Maddie is able to work out some of her fears, testing out fragile thoughts while gaining a few epiphanies.

Several men are vying for her attention and it seems like she is to caught up in herself to notice. The book had a good foundation but I felt like there was a lot going on and it seemed a little to jumbled to me.
I received a free copy from netgalley in exchange an honest review. Dating by the book is a retelling of You've Got Mail and  little shop around the corner.  Maddie receives a bad review for her first novel and is told that she needs to get the love life basically because she doesn't know how to write Romance. This inspires her to take a risk and all of a sudden there are potential partners everywhere. I feel like the romance was underdeveloped. It feels like we should have felt something because they were friends first but it's never really presented properly. The story was good but again it felt underdeveloped in the romance Department ironic because that's exactly the issue reviewer had with Maddie's book.  3.5 stars
I love books about bookish people, so when I discovered that Dating by the Book is about a woman who is an author and owns a quaint little bookshop I was immediately excited to dive in. The fact that she hosts a book club was icing on the cake for me.

1. This is just a happy book. It’s so light and happy and sweet. It reads like a Hallmark movie, and we all know how much I love those. It also reminds me of the movie, You’ve Got Mail, with the cute bookshop and the mysterious emailer and the big competitor wanting to buy out the little guy. It all felt very familiar in a comfortable way.

2. Maddie is super relatable. She was left at the altar, and is anti-romance right now. She did one of those bad things authors aren’t supposed to do, and read online reviews for one of her books. I don’t know why she got so bent out of shape over a 3-star review, but she did and she let it fester and fester until she wrote to the author of the review and let him have it. A big no-no! But since this is a happy, fluffy, sweet book the two form a bit of a friendship. Luckily he doesn’t go and subtweet about her on Twitter! He claims her book wasn’t good because she doesn’t know real romance, real passion, and she sets out to prove him wrong. She’s human. She makes really dumb mistakes and has a bunch of men after her. I loved her and hated her.

3. I loved the mystery of the Silver Fox, and his emails back and forth with Maddie. Their flirtations and deeper conversations were really fun to read. I was dying to figure out who he was!

4. I found the book club discussions to be rather boring and drawn out, but not enough to detract from the book. Maddie’s book club reads and discusses the classics, and since I’ve read very few of them I kind of felt like one of those kids who sits at the dinner table with their chin in their hand, bored to death by the grown-ups having grown-up conversations that they have nothing to add to. It’s just no fun listening to people talk about something you have no knowledge/interest in, and that’s how I felt skimming through their book chats. Luckily they didn’t last too long!

5. Mary Ann Marlowe is a great writer! Everything flowed nicely, and I was very comfortable while reading. I didn’t get tripped up by details, and I followed everything. I loved the humor and the way she wrote her characters.

All in all, this was a win for me! I loved everything about this book, and would love to go and visit these characters (particularly a few of the minor ones) to get their stories. There’s a bookish professor who I’d love to see get his own love story. Highly recommended!
D- review at SBTB:

Thank you to Netgalley for the ARC.

I had hard time with this one. I couldn’t connect neither to the story nor to the characters. There was chemistry lacking. I wish I liked it more because I thought the premise  sounded interesting.
DNF

I really wanted to love this book as I was a fan of Marlowe's previous titles, but I had a hard time getting into it. The primary reason why I couldn't connect to this book was the heroine. I felt like she was a bit all over the place and the scenario with all the guys frustrated me. I'll read Marlowe's books in the future as I still like her writing enough, but this one did not work for me.
I received an Advanced Review Copy of Dating by the Book by Mary Ann Marlowe from the publisher Kensington Books in exchange for an honest review.

I'm gonna be brief because I did not enjoy this book and don't want to write a terrible review, this book does definitely stress the pain of receiving a bad review and I think its important to be honest but not super harsh.

Here's the Good: This book is bookish. The lead character is an author who owns a bookstore and the love story is between the character and a mystery book reviewer. So there's that.

However, this book was just too cheesy for me and I struggled through finishing it though I did. I think if you don't mind cheesy romances this could scratch this itch but it just really wasn't for me.
I had a hard time with this book. I found it difficult to get a read on Maddie, much less connect with her (which is something I think you want for a romance/women's fiction read). Sometimes I could related, but most of the time, I really couldn't – even though her overall circumstances weren't that far out of the norm that I shouldn't have been able to. Also, when it came down to it, she really treated Max horribly throughout quite a bit of the book and then, voila, they're a happy couple? I never really felt that their relationship grew organically/believably.

*Advance copy provided by NetGalley. All opinions are my own.*
Thanks so much to NetGalley and publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This was a very entertaining book.   It was well written and I found the characters to be very relatable.   I enjoyed the references to classic novels as well.   The one thing that didn't sit well with me was the idea of an author reaching out to a reviewer because of a 3 star review;  that would be very disconcerting to me.   However,  once I got over that point,  I found that plot line interesting and it kept me guessing.    I'm going to keep my eyes open for more books from this author!
Dating by the book is such a fun and easy summer read. Not only are the references very literary, but the situations the main character finds herself in are truly right out of a book.

Maddie runs a bookstore, and is a secret author. She finds herself in a love quadrangle of sorts in which she must decide between men, as well as her life's work in the bookstore. She also gets a mediocre book review she perceives as somewhat trollish. After responding, she starts an online friendship with this stranger. All the while trying to save her store.

I loved this book so much. I felt like the situation was totally plausible and it really made me root
for one or the other of the guys. If you like fun, modern romance with some nice twists, definitely check this book out.
Also what made me laugh is the "meta" of it all. In this book, the author is writing about an author who receives a review. I am a reader, reading about this and then leaving a review. This...is not a 3 star book (totally 4 stars!!). Just
FYI.

I received this book for review purposes.
If there were a "whodunit" genre of romance, DATING BY THE BOOK would be in it. I absolutely loved the mysterious elements of this story -- Who will Maddie end up with? Who keeps trying to sabotage the success of her adorable bookstore? And who is Silver Fox, anyway? More than once, my expectations were completely upended, in the best way possible, and I turned the last page with a huge smile on my face. (Also, I *loved* the references to characters in SOME KIND OF MAGIC and A CRAZY KIND OF LOVE! So cool to know this was part of the same world.) Another fabulous story from Mary Ann Marlowe; can't wait for the next one!
This was a fun one! It reminded me of You've Got Mail with it's sweet vibe, warm hug of character-building, and that perfect simmer of romance. Marlowe is a master at creating settings, and impresses with her handling of a multi-faceted plot.. A great rainy day read. Hits right at the heartstrings and makes this a lovely book to share with a book club.