Project Duchess

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Jul 2019

It's been a long while since I read a historical romance, but I knew that Sabrina Jeffries wouldn't let me down! I have been a fan of hers for years even if I haven't read any of her works lately, but this one sure has got me in the mood for historical romances!

In this series it's about a widowed woman's full grown sons whom the eldest are now dukes because she has been married three times and married well each time.

This one revolves around Lady Lydia's eldest son Grey who must come home because his stepfather has died. He hasn't came home much because he blames his mother for letting his aunt and uncle raise him. She didn't have a choice and he never thought about how it affected her. His guardians where not nice to him and it has made him the hardened man he is today. It has also made him a prime scandal sheet candidate and has him being quite the rogue.

Beatrice is Grey's brothers cousin and her and her brother Joshua have weathered their own bit of scandal due to their father and his duel. She doesn't expect to marry to far above her station and has never had a come out. So Lady Lydia has decided that she wants to help Lydia have a season in London and takes her under her wings as a project. It will give her something to keep her mind off the death of her husband.

Grey gets roped into helping his mother with his latest project and it seems he is having a hard time keeping his hands off of her. Grey doesn't want to marry nor tell anyone of his pains but he can't help but want to be around Beatrice. He also has a bit of a problem though as his brother thinks that Joshua might have killed their Uncle and Sheridan's father and so Grey has to try and get Beatrice to talk about her brother but she doesn't want to because a part of her isn't sure about Joshua.

This was really good and a lot of fun! I really love all the characters and can't wait to get to know them all a lot more. Beatrice is so full of spunk and Grey the sexy brooding type and they really went well together. Grey likes that she doesn't hold her tongue around him and pretty much just says what is on her mind.

I always like when the romance has a bit of mystery and this one is going to be woven throughout the series as we never found out exactly what happened to Uncle Armie and Maurice. I really like Joshua and can't wait to read The Bachelor as it features him, he is so growly and brooding...lol.
Unforetantly this wasent as good as I had hoped. Having never read Sabrina Jeffries before and seeing this on NetGalley, I requested and was granted an early ARC.It started great with intriguing characters, so I expected an amazing book, unfortunately, it was a struggle to keep going. The main characters Bea and Grey were hard to love and their relationship never rang tue ( their chemistry to me ran flat). Even the murder and the conclusion they get to at the end made no sense at all.

I will try more by this author but Unforetantly this book wasent for me.
I loved Beatrice and Grey. This was such a good book by Sabrina Jeffries, I am never disappointed. I can't wait to find out who did it and why.
I love Sabrina Jeffries, and this book is no exception. Pacing was spot on, characters are strong, it was easy to fall in love with Beatrice and Fletcher. A really good read.
This book was just okay for me. I didn't love, but I didn't not like it either. I struggled a bit staying engaged with the plot, but I enjoyed the characters.
Unsurprisingly I found this delightful, I am very much looking forward to the next book (though complicated in law romances are generally not my thing) as Jeffries is making the trope work. More stodgy men being unstarched please and thank you.
This book was so very cute! I was captivated by the cover and Sabrina did not let me down! I will definitely be recommending it to my historical romance fans at the library and will be purchasing for the collection.
I really enjoyed reading this story and watching the plot unfold. Grey and Beatrice were wonderful together and it was great watching them come to terms with each other and fall in love. The story line keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what is going to happen next.
Another winning title from Sabrina Jeffries. Perfectly paced, witty, and enjoyable, readers will fall in love with Grey and Beatrice.
I loved Project Duchess. How could you go wrong with Sabrina Jeffries?
Grey has no time for love. What good is it anyway? Beatrice has no need for standoffish, difficult men.
But eventually the walls come down and the two real people are revealed.
This was a nice HEA.
This review is not going to be long. I am not a huge fan of a review rehashing the entire plot and spoiling it for everyone.

This is the first book by Sabrina Jeffries that I have read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Her style of writing. keeps you interested and waiting for more.  I cannot wait to read more of her books.

I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.
Lydia Fletcher was married to, produced a heir for, and is widowed by three different dukes.  It is an unlikely scenario, but, if you suspend belief and imagine it, you have the basis for Sabrina Jeffries' new Duke Dynasty series.

Project Duchess features Lydia's eldest son, Fletcher “Grey” Pryde, 5th Duke of Greycourt.  He was raised by his guardian, an uncle who tried his best to manipulate the young Duke.  Grey learned not to allow another person to have power over him or let someone in who could twist his emotions.

After receiving a letter from his mother informing him of the death of his stepfather, Grey rushes to the funeral.  Upon his arrival, this cool, cynical Duke meets Beatrice Wolf, the spirited cousin of  his half-brother, Sheridan.  The fuse of attraction is lit.

Jeffries builds on the steamy attraction between Grey and Beatrice, but many shadows hang over them.  They continually take one step forward and two steps back in their relationship, as they deal with all that is going on with their families.  Grey finally realizes that Beatrice knows him and accepts him as he is -"a man with flaws and fears, but a man still capable of loving."

Jeffries fleshes out the rest of the family and sets the stage for future installments.  Project Duchess has kindled my interest in the series, and I can't wait to read more and learn the answers to all the family mysteries.

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Three and a half stars, rounded down for Goodreads. This book was utterly delightful. I loved Beatrice, I loved Grey, and I loved the cast of supporting characters. I very badly want to read Gwyn's story, which I'm sure is coming, but I'm nervous - the representation of Joshua as someone with a disability may be historically accurate, but some of the language is also ableist and offensive in 2019.

My other issue is that one of the major plot lines ends on a cliffhanger. That annoys me. This is Sabrina Jeffries. We're all going to read her next story anyway, so there's no need for those tricks.
I received a free copy from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  the project success was interesting.  romance and murder tend to do that.  grey arrives at his brothers estate after his stepfather death.  meanwhile hos.mother has taken Beatrice on as a project to make her presentable for her debut.  the relationship between grey and Beatrice was enjoyable yo read.  and I can't wait for the next book in this series.
This book was a wonderful historical romance novel! I loved all of the characters and I thought that it was super fun.
This debut of a new series introduces the former Lydia Fletcher who is now widowed for the third time. She is devastated by her husband's sudden death and turns to her eldest son, Fletcher Pryde, for consolation and aide. Fletcher finds himself agreeing to help his stepfather's niece, Beatrice Wolfe, with a season and finding a husband. Soon, both Fletcher and Beatrice are dancing, flirting, and trying to solve a murder. The action is nonstop and the conversation is witty in this new novel.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for an ARC; all opinions are my own.
First in a new series, this book follows the Duke of Greycourt (the oldest brother, whose half siblings include 2 more dukes) and Beatrice...the cousin of his younger brothers.

I did not like the first chapter or so. It was difficult to sift through who was who and figure out his mother’s three marriages to three different dukes, but once we get into the story it takes off with an immediate attraction between them. Grey and Bea are a perfect match. The steamy dance lessons were a win. And, I did like the mystery of the dukes deaths, which I assume resolves later in the series. Overall, a great start to a new series. I’m looking forward to Grey’s sister and Bea’s brother in book two.
Sabrina Jeffries usually writes in my wheelhouse, but this was mostly okay-ish for me. However, my main takeaway was: "omg, I want to read Major Joshua Wolfe and Lady Gwyn's story so hard. Give it to meeeee."

That's a compliment.
The story is well thought out and nicely written making this an exciting page turner and one which I am more than happy to recommend."
I could tell Project Duchess was the start of a new Jeffries series by the plethora of family members who were introduced in the prologue. With that, it’s also fair to say that Jeffries’s romance has family ties as one of its central themes. Because Jeffries’s thematic hand is light and her tone humorous, there be a few dark moments, Project Duchess is a droll, heartwarming series début.

Embedded in the introduction to its many characters (all of whom could potentially serve as heroes and heroines in volumes to come), the prologue sets up the series’ premise. Each potential h/h stems from one Lydia Fletcher, the dowager duchess of not one, not two, but three dukes and all her ducal offspring. When the novel opens, duke#3 has expired and the lone son/child of her first RIP duke, Fletcher Pryde, 5th Duke of Greycourt, 34, with a rake-hell reputation, unjustly so, has been called from his home in London’s Mayfair to his stepfather’s funeral in Armitage Hall, Lincolnshire. Except for one dash to London, the action takes place on this estate. From the get-go, we know that “Grey”, as he’s called, has been estranged from his family, not totally, and not with great enmity, but there is distance and hurt feelings.

When Grey arrives, many of his half-siblings are already there, or pending arrival, and everything is in the chaos of funeral preparations. At the centre of the organizing is one Beatrice Wolfe, related to duke#3, but not to Lydia, or by extension any of her offspring. Which is good. Because Beatrice is Grey’s love interest. Jeffries portrays a quipping, boisterous family wonderfully. Though there is some strain with Grey, there is also no doubt that everyone has nothing but love and liking and a good, healthy dose of teasing and bantering, even in the midst of genuine grief. Grey and Beatrice are thrown together, especially when the weepy Lydia decides to continue working on Beatrice and her daughter’s, Gwyn’s, débuts. As a result, Grey is recruited to help with their dance lessons and one marvelous sexy dance-instruction scene ensues. There’s some mild antagonism between Beatrice and Grey, but overall, it’s obvious they’re compatible and suited.

Complications arise when the 3rd duke’s heir, Sheridan, takes Grey into his confidence that he suspects his father was murdered and suspicion falls on Beatrice’s brooding, PTSD-suffering brother, Joshua. This is where the novel fell apart. Grey, who is supposed to be smart and sophisticated, appears an utter ninny when he skulks around suspecting Joshua and even Beatrice. How ridiculous he appears. Where the humorous ridiculousness of h/h banter totally works to make this a charming read, the whole “who murdered the duke thread?” is meh and unconvincing. I didn’t care for it. Jeffries needed more than Grey’s “I can’t open up to love, I’ll be hurt and vulnerable” and Lydia’s “I”m too poor for a duke to marry me” misgivings. So, there’s the who-killed-Maurice thread to fill up the pages.

What works are the family dynamics. Okay, they may be somewhat anachronistic (these are not class-based Regency types), but they’re fun and heartwarming. Lydia and her various sons and daughters work things out by being honest with each other. And their teasing and gently poking is all part of the affection. As for the romance, Grey and Beatrice share a friendship and powerful attraction. They have a similar mindset: sharp, honest, and blunt. I liked them a lot, both together and apart. And there aren’t any big misunderstandings or secrets, thanks be to the romance gods: they talk, they recognize the value of openness and honesty and they share a mutual, healthy, and fun lust. Again, even though this felt you could transport the narrative to a contemporary romance and it would read fine, it didn’t diminish the reading pleasure, just the plausibility. A lovely start to a series that looks to continue as it began. With Miss Austen, we deem Jeffries’s Project Duchess offers “real comfort,” Emma.

Sabrina Jeffries’s Project Duchess is published by Zebra Books. It was released on June 25 and may be found at your preferred vendor. I received an e-ARC from Zebra Books, via Netgalley.