Cover Image: Project Duchess

Project Duchess

Project Duchess is my most favorite book of the summer so far! Beatrice and Grey make an excellent pairing.  This was not the same cookie cutter story we expect of the genre.  Kudos to Jeffries for a great summer read!
This is exactly what I expect from a historical romance.  There is a meeting, instant attraction and instant dislike. A problem arises, forcing the two primary characters and love interests to work together, then that attraction cannot be denied.  But can it be attraction alone?  Is love possible?

What's great about this book is the original spin Sabrina Jeffries puts on how the couple falls in love.  While it is common to have a confident woman who is able to see the good in a man, and a business focused man who doesn't want to fall in love.  Here, once love is ignited, Beatrice's secrets create an almost insurmountable obstacle.

I especially loved the murder mystery aspect to this series.  Without giving too many details, let's just say that the plot is very intriguing once the characters are firmly introduced.  I really enjoyed reading Beatrice and Grey find each other and love.  The dialogue was written very well, with what I can only assumed to be practiced ease.  Sabrina Jeffries is very good at using her characters and their words to move the story forward.

I'm so glad this is a new series and can't wait for the next installment.  This is a suspenseful but enjoyable romance that will have your heart racing, in more ways than one.

*Special thanks to Sabrina Jeffries, Netgalley, and HF book tours for a copy of Project Duchess in exchange for an honest review.
Project Duchess introduces readers into the regency world of five siblings, the same mother but different fathers, all lost to them at a young age. Except for one until he to died.  This is where the story starts.  There was a lot of things going on in the book and although it was well written and the characters quite compelling it also felt confusing at times because of so many sub plots.  This also contributed to maybe the almost lukewarm romance between Bea and Grey.  The sexual chemistry was fantastic however because of the mystery needing to be solved, the romance part  almost felt hurried.  Still the whole book was wonderful especially in the way everything fell into place .  It also made me curious how the next four sibling will find their own HEA.
I found Sabrina Jeffries years ago and I just love reading her stories. The Project Duchess is yet another of her book I have loved. Grey and Beatrice have so many ghosts to their pasts and yet the two come together and chase the shadow dispelling those ghosts away. Their love is quiet and strong at the same time. One of my favorite reads.
A series of stepfathers and a difficult childhood have left Fletcher “Grey” Pryde, 5th Duke of Greycourt, with a guarded heart, enviable wealth, and the undeserved reputation of a rogue. Grey’s focus on expanding his dukedom allows him little time to find a wife. But when his mother is widowed yet again and he meets the charmingly unconventional woman managing his stepfather’s funeral, he’s shocked to discover how much they have in common. Still, Grey isn’t interested in love, no matter how pretty, or delightfully outspoken, the lady . . . Beatrice Wolfe gave up on romance long ago, and the arrogant Duke of Greycourt with his rakish reputation isn’t exactly changing her mind. Then Grey agrees to assist his grief-stricken mother with her latest “project”: schooling spirited, unfashionable Beatrice for her debut. Now that Beatrice is seeing through Grey’s charms to his wounded heart, she’s having trouble keeping him at arm’s length. But once Grey starts digging into her family’s secrets, she must decide whether her loyalties lie with her family . . . or with the man whose lessons capture her heart . . .
This is the first book in a new series from one of my favorite authors. I really loved all of the characters from this new series.  I tore through the book as quickly as I could. I really loved everything about Grey and Beatrice as the author unraveled them and their painful pasts. I can’t wait for the next book in this series. I highly recommend.
**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book
Emotionally thrilling, sexy, fun, witty and engaging journey for two intriguing charters that were not looking for forever and no longer believe in love for different reasons. Really enjoyed this engaging and exciting reading experience.
This is the first book in a new series.  Many times In a 1st book you lose the story in trying to introduce all the characters.  I didn't find that the case here. Sabrina keeps the story and dialogue flowing, easy to follow.
This story is about a family of half siblings.  The matriarch of the family had been married 3X. All 3x to dukes. All 3x having a Male offspring.  So we have 3 half brothers who are all Dukes.
This is about the Duke of Greycourt, or Grey. While attending his step father's funeral, he meets Beatrice
.  She is a cousin to one of his brothers. She is the granddaughter of a Duke but has been raised in the country with no formal  training.  She is considered a hoyden.  She has no trouble telling Grey exactly what she thinks.
 Grey finds this refreshing and is intrigued by Beatrice. But first he must find out if she or her brother had anything to do with his stepfather's death.
The adventure begins from there. This story kept me going from start to finish. I didn't want to put it down. It flowed so easily.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next book.
The first book in the new series Duke Dynasty by Sabrina Jeffries is so good! Here we meet all the siblings of Fletcher Pryde (Grey), the 5th Duke of Greycourt, after the death of his stepfather, Maurice. He arrives at Armitage Hall and mistakes Beatrice Wolfe, for a servant. She is the granddaughter of a duke, and a cousin to his stepbrother Sheridan (the son of Maurice). Beatrice instantly puts Grey in his place, and so the story begins to get very interesting. Sheridan believes his father has been killed and his uncle before him, and thinks that Joshua, Beatrice’s brother may be behind the murders. Grey agrees to uncover all that he can from Beatrice but soon finds himself fascinated by her.
The story was made all the more enjoyable with all the secondary characters, each given ample time in the book, to reveal their personality and to have you wanting to find out more (hopefully in another book). With siblings such as Thorne, Gwyn, Sheridan and a cousin, Vanessa, who Grey’s wicked aunt, keeps trying to marry him to, there is plenty of entertainment. Both Grey and Beatrice are such engaging characters and their ability to understand the other, is well delivered. Their pact to be honest with each other, made for interesting reading, as they revealed their insecurities and past hurts.
I can’t wait to read more in this series, and to uncover more about the mystery overshadowing the family.
I received an advanced review copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
An enjoyable read but at times the amount characters made it confusing. I am looking forward to future installments in this series.
4.5 stars - I really enjoyed Project Duchess. The hero is a duke (so are his two brothers). He’s rich, revered and handsome. He has a reputation that he doesn’t deserve, but he doesn’t bother himself over it much. The heroine is a lovely girl who is the grand daughter of a duke. She’s more like a poor relation to his family, yet he sees the true value in her wit, beauty and unabashed honesty. There’s a bit of intrigue and a whole lot of two characters learning about one another and falling in love.

2.5 This is another author that I generally enjoy and this book was entertaining enough, though not a favorite. I enjoyed the heroine, Beatrice, and many of the supporting characters.  There were a few too many predictable tropes regarding the past background of our male hero and also Beatrice's brother, both of which maybe could have been thought through a bit better to be slightly more original.  The plot moved a bit slowly, but there were many moments of great fun, even if those moments felt a bit off given the underlying plot of murder.  A nod was given to the grieving mother over the loss of her husband when she held a dance lesson for Beatrice, but in many ways, the scene felt a bit contrived and could have worked without seeming to be in contradiction to the supposed great loss that the family had experienced.
This Rebel Reviews

Fletcher Pryne, 5th Duke of Greycourt aka Grey's step-father Maurice has passed and his mother has begged him to come to comfort her and go to his funeral. When he gets there he meets the lovely Beatrice the cousin of his step brother Sheridan who is poor and lives in the Dowager house. Greycourt's mother has decided to help her prepare for her come out into society to find a husband and Grey is going to help. He doesn't expect to find himself drawn to Beatrice but Grey has sworn never to give his heart away. Will he finally be able to get over the past or will he lose the women he loves?

I was in love with Grey very soon into the book and his cousin Vanessa(she isn't in it much but have my fingers crossed she gets her own book in the series and I already ship her with one of Grey's half brothers(she is the cousin on his fathers side, his mother is the one who was married to three dukes and had children with them all). I love books with sibling and cousin or close family relationships. I loved Grey and his brother and sister and how they teased and laughed and just reminded me of my own family. I love Beatrice and Grey's first meeting. I felt there connection from that first meeting. There is a mystery running though this book and from what I am deducing the whole series.  I love Beatrice and Grey's bargain that they always be themselves around each other. Both Beatrice and Grey have hurts and traumas from their past and I love watching them open up to each other about them and start to heal. Grey doesn't want to marry for love because of his past. He is so scared to show his past to anyone. I loved the heat and the sexy times in this book. In this book Sabrina Jeffries delivered everything I love in a romance, relateable realistic characters, steamy scenes,and a hero and heroine who understand and love each other flaws and all. I can't wait for the next book in the series. I want to give a thank you to whoever designed the cover. It is so classy and romantic unlike some covers that I feel are more smutty then romantic.

I got this book for free in exchange for an honest review from Net Gallery and Kensington Books.

Heat Rating: Hot

Rating: 5 stars
I am intrigued by the central mystery in the book and will seek out the other books in the series for that reason but I'm not a fan or insta-love romance novels.
This is the start of a new series, and a little confusingly it concerns siblings and step siblings, and some of their cousins. They are all related through their mother, Lydia, currently Duchess of Armitage, and previously Duchess of Thornlands, and Duchess of Greycourt.

Fletcher Pryde is the oldest child, and Duke of Greycourt. His stepfather and mother were living in Prussia, and had recently returned to England so hecould take up the Armitage dukedom, Maurice has died in an accident, and Grey is reluctantly going to see his family. He feels estranged and cut off emotionally from his mother and siblings, his father’s will appointed his Uncle as his guardian, and so his mother was forced to send him back to England when he was 10. Grey was badly mistreated by his uncle, in an attempt to force him to sign over property, and he blames his mother and stepfather for abandoning him.

When he arrives he meets Beatrice Wolfe, cousin to his stepbrother Sheridan, and sister of the estate’s gamekeeper, ex soldier Joshua. He is lame from a combat injury, and very withdrawn due to this. They don’t get off to the best start, but they are both attracted to each other. Beatrice and her brother are not very well off, and Lydia and her daughter Gwynn are coaching Beatrice to make her debut. Grey is roped into help with dancing lessons, and their attraction to each other starts to grow, but Grey is not prepared to love anyone, and Beatrice doubts herself. They both suspect Joshua of being involved in her uncle Armie’s death, and Grey is also helping Sheridan investigate Maurice’s death, which they suspect Joshua May also be involved in.

Grey is very conflicted. Is Beatrice an accomplice or innocent, how can he resist becoming involved with her, he doesn’t want to love her.

Sabrina Jeffries is usually excellent, and this is a nice romance, but it didn’t really get firing on all cylinders for me. I found it difficult to get invested in the two main characters, also the mystery of Maurice’s death wasn’t solved, and so the suspense element of the plot also didn’t get a resolution either. Maybe it’s because it is a complicated setup with the multiple marriages, and the series setup took away from the main plot.

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Also posted on Goodreads.
The Dowager Duchess was famous for her projects.

This new series is premised upon a Duchess whose been widowed three times.  All  three husbands were dukes. The now Dowager Duchess has five children and three of her sons have inherited Dukedoms.
In the first of the series Fletcher “Grey” Pryde, 5th Duke of Greycourt meets Beatrice Wolfe when she manages his stepfather's funeral. Beatrice is a cousin and she and her brother Joshua have depended on the generosity of the Duke of Armitage.
Beatrice is a feisty, single minded young woman who is not a all threatened by Grey.
Grey's mother, the Dowager Duchess decides that she will present Beatrice in the upcoming season and seeks his assistance in readying Beatrice for her debut. This project is important to the Duchess, giving her something to do as she grieves the loss of her husband.
Of course there's an attraction between Grey and Bea, but neither wants to acknowledge it, until they do. Meanwhile Grey's brother, Sheridan Wolfe, the 4th Duke of Armitage,  is suspicious about his father's death. This adds another layer of intrigue and becomes a source of contention between Bea and Grey that has the potential to destroy the fragile trust that's building between them.
I must admit that I wasn't that sold on Grey and Bea but I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes.

A Kensington Books ARC via NetGalley
Loved it! It is another one of these books you don't want to put aside because you really like the leads a lot and because you want to know more about their past.

Will we ever know who the murderer is??
(thanks to netgalley)
Sabrina Jeffries new Duke Dynasty series is off to a good start with series opener Project Duchess. It has all the classic Jeffries characteristics, spunky heroine, angsty hero, interesting cast of side characters, and suspense.
Fletcher "Grey" Pryde has been called back to his mother's home after her third husband, and a third Duke, has died. Grey experienced hardship as a child and was separated from his family. Although reluctant to return home now, he knows he must see to his mother's well-being. Things are not going so well for Grey at the moment. Although a very rich duke, he has established quite a reputation, albeit undeserved. Meanwhile his aunt is pressuring him to marry his cousin, and that is something neither of them wants.

Beatrice Wolfe is the cousin of Grey's half-brother, and Grey's mother has offered to help her by giving her a Season in London. With the family mourning now, the debut must be delayed. However, Grey's mother wants him to school Beatrice in certain matters, like proper dancing. Meanwhile, Grey's brother Sheridan is quite certain that his father, and also his uncle, previously, were murdered. The man he thinks guilty is none other than Beatrice's brother Joshua. Sheridan wants Grey to investigate the cause of both deaths.

Grey elects to spend time with the delectable Beatrice, leaving Sheridan to sort the more serious matters himself. However, Grey has very good reason for not wanting to become romantically involved. Beatrice herself gave up on romance, but she is very concerned for her and her brother's future so she has agreed to the tutelage offered by her aunt. It only takes a few glances at Grety for Beatrice to realize she is smitten.

What a delightful romance by Sabrina Jeffries! I loved all of the conflict involved with this story while the foundation for a heartwarming romance was being built. This made this become a multi-layered story that flowed smoothly through the pages. While this is my first read by Sabrina Jeffries it certainly will not be my last. I am eager to continue on with this series. The next book is Duke Dynasty and is slated for release in February, 2020.
Before you dive into reading this first book in a brand new series by Sabrina Jeffries, take a moment to carefully peruse the family tree laid out at the beginning, detailing the three marriages of Lydia, Duchess of Armitage (and before that, Duchess of Thornlands, and before that, Duchess of Greycourt) her five children from those three marriages, and their assorted cousins on their fathers’ sides.

Got that? Good. Otherwise you’re going to get in a terrible muddle over who’s who and how they’re related to everyone else, because every significant character in this first book is somehow related, even if it’s only by one of Lydia’s multiple marriages.

The Duke of Greycourt, aka Grey, is Lydia’s oldest son, and her most distant. While Lydia was living in Prussia with her third husband (the ambassador at the time) and her children, Grey was forced to return to England, and the care of his guardian, aged just 10. Things didn’t go tremendously well, and he’s grown up wary, resentful and gun-shy about commitment and trust. So when he’s called to his mother’s side after his stepfather’s sudden death and asked to look into the possibility that his stepfather was murdered, the last thing he wants is to fall for an opinionated young woman intimately connected to his own family.

Beatrice Wolfe doesn’t have good experiences with dukes, and she has no reason to believe Grey will be any different. He’s sexy, seductive… likeable and kind. She can’t help but like him, but she has secrets to protect, some of which aren’t hers to share.

There’s a murder mystery thread running through the background of this romance which will presumably be followed through in the rest of the series, because all that happened here was a suspect with a viable motive was eliminated from the inquiry. The romance arc is brought to a very nice conclusion, though not without a few hiccups along the way.

This is a wonderful start to a new series, and I’d definitely recommend getting in on the ground floor, so to speak, because I think the threads of that murder mystery might be tricky to pick up in later books if you haven’t read this one. Dive right in and enjoy! Five stars.
A solid regency romance, but one with too many side characters and a confusing murder mystery that just seemed to be a prop to further the main characters' plot points along. I'll probably read the next book in the series if it pops up on my radar, but I won't be actively seeking it out.