Cover Image: Rewind

Rewind

QUICK TAKE: very enjoyable thriller with a unique narrative structure. A hotel manager and peeping tom watches a woman murdered in one of the hotel rooms he's secretly videotaping and must figure out who the killer is before it's too late. At the same time, a local reporter tries to unravel the mysterious disappearance of a social media influencer...I was invested in both mysteries and found the book to have enough twists and turns to keep me engaged thru the end. Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the genre.
I received an advance digital copy of this book from the author, publisher and Netgalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

An awesome whodunit with a broken timeline? Yes and yes. Gripping, pulse quickening at a fast clip. Excellent read to check out from reality with.

5 out of 5 stars. Recommended reading.
3.5 Stars. I loved the middle of this book. The beginning was a bit slow to get into with a lot of character development. Into the middle, it really had me up at night wanting to read more. About 2/3 way through the ending was quite predictable. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advance review copy. Having read the author's previous novel, Distress Signals, I was very excited to pick this one up! Unfortunately, I found the structure of the novel a bit confusing. It was hard to keep track of whether I was reading the past or the present. That's probably a personal problem, though. The story starts with the murder of a young woman caught on camera and then jumps to present time, following online journalist Natalie as she hunts for a missing woman. There definitely was an underlying creep factor, the feeling of being watched, that I enjoyed. I did feel like the ending fell a little flat, but overall I enjoyed this one, just not quite as much as the last one by this author. I will definitely pick up her next one though!
I love a good murder mystery. I especially liked how the constant jumping back and forth through the timeline added to the intrigue. Definitely not a book you’re going to want to put down.
A twisty thriller that will have you flipping pages to fly through the story.  Fast paced, engaging, twisty.
A little confusing at times especially during the "rewind" bits. By the description, I assumed it was going to be a thriller of some sorts, but that's not really want I got. I liked the general idea of this book but found the plot to be missing some excitment.
Catherine Ryan Howard intrigued me with her concept and synopsis. I love a story that kicks off with a heinous violent crime (a fictional story anyway). Rewind is a classic who-done-it.

The concept and execution may be lost on the younger generation. Rewind read like a cassette tape…fast forward to this…pause here…rewind to get the back details. I’ve never read a book where the author deliberately replicates a different medium. This was a definite success!

In order for any story to hit the next level, the author must create a connection between myself and their characters. Unfortunately, this necessary relationship never fully developed for me. I felt a lack of focus on any one individual…who was I supposed to connect with? I don’t know…was I meant to feel sympathy for the victim? I didn’t.

The story itself was good, the web woven by Howard was new and intriguing, but as the story went on, I was easily able to see around all of the corners. I want a mystery / thriller that maintains the mystery until it thrills me at the climax.

In the end, Rewind was a good story that simply lacked the finer details that I have come to look for in an exciting story. I appreciate Howard’s efforts in concept, it just left me wanting more or perhaps she gave me too much, too soon.

*3.5 Stars
2 stars! ⭐️⭐️

Play. Pause. Rewind. Fast-Forward. NO!

Sigh. Looks like I’m in the minority on this one, my friends.

This book was all over the place for me. I didn’t like how it constantly jumped around. Normally, I’m a big fan of the alternating POV‘s. This one was just too much.

I think this book is best read in one sitting because whenever I took a break from it and tried to start it up again I was clueless as to what was going on.  I found myself having to rewind and re-read parts just to keep up. Ain’t nobody got time for that! Maybe that’s the reason behind the title?! LOL 😜

This book is pretty creepy though. The setting is dark and dreary and it is chock-full of unlikable kooks as characters. The storyline was predictable and slow. I was hoping for a shocker of an ending, but the book didn’t deliver. This is my first time reading a Catherine Ryan Howard book and I was super excited when I received my advanced copy. I guess I expected more.

Thank you to NetGalley, Blackstone Publishing and Catherine Ryan Howard for my copy to read and review.
I tried to read this book and just couldn't get interested in it. Mysteries are my favorite type of books, so I was disappointed that the main character wasn't more interesting and the storyline was vague.
I was really disappointed in this one as I had enjoyed the authors previous books. I don't have much to say and won't be reviewing elsewhere but I really didn't like this one at all.
such an intriguing story! What is Andrew going to do? Put himself in the spotlight that he is doing something illegal or hide what he’s witnessed?? There are a lot of characters so a lot to keep up with. I was interested in the story behind Andrew and what made him who he became. Even tho there were many characters they were well developed and I love how each chapter revealed a little more. Great read.
Thank you Netgalley for sending me this arc. I will be reviewing this book in the near future with an honest rating and review.
Rewind is a reliable and interesting murder mystery.
I tread cautiously around amateur sleuth stories, thinking they can go either way, but I especially appreciated the three things that made this one a unique experience for me. I love multiple perspectives and nonlinear narratives. I also romanticize Ireland and Irish settings and I am happy to see social media influencers portrayed in various types of media.
I was slightly disappointed that Natalie's Influencer job didn't ultimately affect the plot and would have loved to see the story hinge on that fact about her. I feel similarly to the video feed of Natalie's murder as well. I think it could have had played a bigger role considering the was the inspiration behind the novel's structure.
Rewind was an entertaining read, told in an interesting way.
This is one of many books I have read from this author and I am never disappointed.  When Natalie believes that her husband Mike is having an affair after many different items disappear and appear at her home, she takes off to Shanamore Holiday Cottage to find out if she is imagining things.  She finds proof there, yet it disappears.  At the same time, the undertaker Andrew is affiliated with an associate that has him place video cameras in each of the cottages.  Natalie goes missing and is found my a drifter and the tape from what happened in Natalie's cabin disappears.  There were so many different pieces of the puzzle that came together as the book is told by many different points of view.  I really enjoyed this one and loved the creativity.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
This was an interesting mystery and I really enjoyed reading it. The premise of "rewinding" and "fast-forwarding" the tape through time really worked well in the telling of the story, and in holding the interest of the reader. I had a hard time putting the book down and would recommend this to anyone who enjoys mysteries and suspense.
I received a free e-copy of Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard from NetGalley for my honest review.

Wow, wow, wow!!! This book is a pulse pounding and thrilling read that is straight up addicting.

Natalie, a young and famous social media influencer is missing. Audrey, a journalist is researching and looking for the truth in what happened to her. Audrey follows up on a tip of Natalie going to Shanamore in County Cork. Why would Natalie go to this very creepy cottage? Then there is Mike, Natalie's husband and the secrets he is hiding while at the same time pleading to the public to help find his fine.

Then there is Andrew, the very creepy manager of the Shanamore Holiday Cottages, who has witnessed his only guest get murdered through his spy camera.

I don't want to give anything else away but you absolutely need to read this book. It is amazing, it's clever and well just bloody brilliant!

I loved how Natalie's story is told through all the different characters in this book. Some very creepy characters at that.
I was very excited to receive a copy of this book by Netgalley to read and review because it sounded really good. Unfortunately, I was less than thrilled with the book. The story starts off really well and grabbed my attention right away, but the rest of the story, not so much. I didn't like the characters and the jumping around within the timeframe was choppy and disjointed. Just wasn't for me.
This book had me captivated from the blurb. This was a shockingly well written book that makes you never want to  stay somewhere again. The characters and plot made me read this book in one night. The way the author built up the suspense and the twists held me until the end. This will not be the last book that I read by this author, she is added to my one click list. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this book.
This was quite an interesting way of writing a murder mystery, where the chapters had play, pause, rewind, and fast-forward as its headings.

Instagram influencer Natalie seemed to have everything, yet she walked away from all of her happy life to stay at Shanamore Holiday Cottage which had a creepy manager. He was a voyeur with hidden cameras where he witnessed a figure killing the woman.
A reporter Audrey wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery of the Natalie's disappearance. She headed to these cottages to find out the truth.

Author Catharine Howard has written a thrilling book which shocked me not only in its innovative format but also the way the story unfolded. The suspense was intense where the creepiness took me by a surprise. I loved the way the author had connected the different jigsaw pieces to make a creepy picture. That made me keep tapping at my kindle till the very end...