Cover Image: No Judgments

No Judgments

I'm a big Meg Cabot fan! In high school, I, of course, read all of the Princess Diaries series. Once I was a little older, I moved on to her Queen of Babble series and Heather Wells series (which is still a favorite!). So I was pretty excited when I saw she was coming out with a new book!

I liked this book but sadly wasn't blown away. The description is quite different from the actual book, so that threw me off a bit. I was expecting the storm to play a bigger role in getting the hero and heroine together, but it passes pretty quickly. It's more the aftermath that throws them together.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about the book. It's light and fun, and I enjoyed the relationship between Bree and Drew. I think it could have dug more into their backstories especially since Bree had a major thing to work through. That whole side story actually was a bit confusing. I'm not sure it was absolutely necessary for the character or story arc. Knowing more of Bree and Drew's backstories would have helped round them out better as characters and I think I would have been drawn into the story more.

Overall, it was a light and quick read. I'm not giving up on Meg Cabot as I have loved her work in the past. Looking forward to seeing what she does next!

*Trigger warning: the death of parents, sexual assault
Meg Cabot is one of the authors that I enjoy reading her books & this book was a quick, cute read.

Bree is running away from her life in New York and goes to the place that always felt like home to her, Little Bridge Island. Dropped out of law school, away from her controlling mother and a bad relationship; to be a server in a local diner and live a simpler life. The hurricane of the century is coming their way and she decides to ride it out and finds that she has feelings for Drew, the local handyman and animal lover.

The storm brings them together and they even begin to rescue the pets of those that were evacuated but thought they wouldn't be gone for too long and left their pets behind.
Sweet and simple, but steamy enough to peak my interests. Meg Cabot writes a typical story of a young woman running from her family and past to an island in the Florida Keys. While swearing off men, she mets the island heartthrobe, Drew and the two of them rescue abandoned pets after a Cat 5 hurricane tore through the island. Enjoyable and a quick read, so I plan on reading the next adventure of the people of Little Bridge Island.
Meg Cabot is one of my favorite writers. It started with Princess Diaries and kept going through her standalone books and the “Size 12 is Not Fat/ Heather Wells” Series. I mean, does she slow down? Thankfully for me, she does not. I got the opportunity to read her latest new series “No Judgements” from her new Little Bridge Island Series. I loved it so much, I went and got the novella from Amazon.

All I can say I am super happy with this new series. As usual, the characters are relatable, the story is fun, and the writing is so accessible to anyone. I blast through these books and can’t get enough. While the synopsis below tells you a little about the book, just remember that there are always enjoyable nuggets whenever Meg write. If you haven’t made the leap, you must read.
No Judgments is a cute romance that takes place during a hurricane. While I loved that idea and that plot line, I found the writing and execution to be just ok. It was an enjoyable "fluff" read, but not my favorite of Cabot's and certainly not my favorite of the romance genre.

I like the take on the trauma our character has gone though-- no spoilers, but it is a very modern and timely conversation to have in literature.
I love Meg Cabot, and I love fluffy romance reads, but unfortunately this one missed the mark for me. The characters just felt flat, and yet at the end Bree managed to feel completely out of character. Throughout the whole book, I could never warm up to Bree. There's a fine line between a character being independent and just being insufferable, and overall I thought she was insufferable. It's one thing to want to stand on your own two feet and not rely on your famous parents, but she completely refused help from all of her neighbors and friends in her new life when dealing with a potentially fatal Category 5 hurricane. I thought Drew was alright, but the only facet of his personality we really saw was "sarcastic".

What I did love was the setting. Cabot did a great job describing the island of Little Bridge and its history, I could totally picture this little island in the Keys. I just wish the characters that populated the island had as much depth as the scenery.
Not completely crazy about this book, although it was a very cute, summer beachy read.  Bree is new to Little Bridge Island, and waiting for a hurricane to come.  She's pretty sure she can weather the storm in her apartment, but her very friendly boss takes her in where it's safer.  There is of course a flirtation and chase and a very cute love story.  The part that made it a bit silly and unbelievable to me was that after the storm, Bree finds all these pets that were left behind when their owners evacuated, and made it her mission to save them all.  Who would leave their pets behind?  Maybe this is something that happened during Katrina and Meg Cabot was bringing the issue forward.  But it seemed a little odd to me, and it took over the whole book which made me like the book a little less.  That being said, I'm not a huge animal lover, and the animal lovers out there will probably enjoy it more than I did.
This was a cute book, but I feel like the love story was instalove and could have used a little more 'before' story. I felt like it had a too tidy ending--the birth mom being a vet with all the pet food was one example. I enjoy Meg Cabot's book a lot and will continue to read them. The cover is super cute and accurately portrays the book.
This was a fun, light read that I finished in two sittings. It didn't feel like there was any major conflict, mainly because the characters took things in stride (the storm). Sabrina had her experience with Kyle to deal with but even that was quite tame. Overall all, I enjoyed it and it was the happy read I wanted.
3.5 rounded up. This is a cute, fun, flirty book. It is a great, mostly lighthearted story with a big heart. I have read several of Meg Cabot’s books and have enjoyed them all immensely. The characters in this book were cute and interesting (Gary was most definitely the star for me). They were quirky and funny, all while dealing with actual life and situations. I loved the hurricane aspect of the story. I have always been somewhat fascinated by weather events. I think the storm tied in well with the plot of the story and brought out aspects of the characters that we might not have seen otherwise. I do think it felt a little like the storm ended too soon. I know it was partially plot driven, but I felt almost like something was missing when it was gone. I also thought the confrontation near the end was out of character. It felt out of place with the rest of the books tone. While I did like this book quite a bit, I also think it wasn’t quite up to Cabot’s Boy or Queen of Babble series. Those series had a bit more spark to them for me. However when all is said and done, I am definitely invested in the future of Little Bridge Island, and will most definitely read more.
The characters were just... very not for me. A lot of the language was so very unnecessary, too. This just was not for me.
This book started off good and then I could not understand where it went off to.  tHe chemistry felt missing from the main characters.  I finished the book but I was disappointed in it.  It did not grab me like her other books.
I love Meg Cabot books! She is a reliable author that always has a good story. However, this one fell a little flat for me. I loved the setting, Little Bridge Island. The descriptions were spot on and made me wish I was there. I didn't feel much of a connection to the main character. At times the story felt disjointed.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.
For a book titled No Judgements there was a lot of judgement between all of the characters. Especially unnecessary judgement.

The story was still enjoyable. The setting of a natural disaster/hurricane was one I hadn't read before, so I was intrigued by it. Setting a romance during this was very interesting.

I had some struggles with this title, though. It was enjoyable and cute, but there were little bits of violence that I wish didn't exist. They just added a layer to the story that weakened the plot. I won't say what they are, due to spoilers sake, but I would've enjoyed this much better without.

Meg Cabot wrote a kind of hate-to-love relationship, but the tension between the characters felt as though it was a forced interest sometimes.

I still enjoyed the book and there were a decent amount of good moments, but the list of things I didn't enjoy surpasses it a little.
The gorgeous cover made me desperately want to read this book, especially with Meg Cabot as the author. It looked like a romance, it started feeling like it would be a romance, but it's labeled women's fiction, and that's what it is. But instead of leaving me satisfied that the heroine had made strides in her journey of growth, forgiveness, and self-discovery, I wasn't a champion for the heroine. While this was a very well crafted story, specifically the chapter beginnings with the details on Hurricane prep and the animal rescues, there were many aspects that fell apart for me. For instance, the heroine was privileged and learned from her father's clients, but she still had much to learn despite her know-it-all/babe-in-the-woods reactions to things. While she's a very young character, she's still an adult--one that was dating a man who could have been her husband, so I found it odd that she acted so immaturely and impetuous at times. There were many secondary characters who were interesting, and I would've loved to have read more about them, but unfortunately, this book wasn't enough for me to care to read more in the series.
I like Meg Cabot books a lot and have since I was a teenager. I think that her current writing is a little behind the times in terms of style, but it still works for me and this is sn easy to read and sweet romance. Perfect for anyone nostalgic for a bit of old school chick lit!
This was a quick, easy romance read full of fun characters.

I loved getting to know the Hartwell family through this book. Felt like I was one of the gang down on Little Bridge! I also loved the animal-lovers-unite story line as an animal lover myself.

I had trouble connecting the title to the story, wish it would’ve been more prominent.

Definitely a fun read!
No Judgments by Meg Cabot is a wonderful addition to the author's backlog of amazing published titles.  The novel follows the story of Bree as she tries to rebuilt her life in the small coastal town of Little Bridge Island after a horrible incident.  As the hurricane of the century heads toward the town, Bree is repeatedly pushed together with the town's supposed heartbreaker and her employer's nephew, Drew.  This novel offers readers quirky side characters, small town charm, romance and love, a compassionate hero and a strong and sassy heroine. Great read!
I was given an advanced reader copy of this book by the publishing company.

I really didn't know what to expect after the first chapter of this book. But, I have to say I fell in love with the characters very quickly. Bree was a very relatable character and I loved her relationship with Drew. I even loved her goofy cat, Gary.

All in all this was just the cute read that I needed to escape from real life for a bit. I would highly recommend reading it.
I had such high hopes for this. I loved The Princess Diaries as a kid, but this whole felt dated and cringey. I also wish there had been some sort of warning about the animal harm which was way too graphic.

*Book received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*