Just Watch Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2020

Probably the silliest start to a story I've ever come across. Cliche to the max. (The bad guy had a scar on his cheek)  Terrible dialogue. Just too silly too quick. I can suspend disbelief as well as the next person, but this was just too much.
The author made his literary reputation with the creation of Dexter: a picaresque rogue that was a serial killer.  His mitigating feature was that he only killed serial killers.  Can Mr Lindsay top that?  Looks like he is giving it a good try with the first book of a new series.  This features as the reverse hero Riley Wolfe who is a thief.  Not an ordinary one mind you but a master thief that looks at very large possibilities not only to get the proceeds but for the adrenaline rush he gets from doing the seemingly impossible.
     The novel picks up Riley coming off another successful theft and beginning to look for his next  venture.  After looking around at many possibilities he comes up with the idea of stealing a diamond held by the Iranian government.  Of course not an ordinary run of the mill gem but one of a kind that is so well cut and so large that it's value could approximate more than one billion dollars.
     Riley realizes that the theft could not take place in Iran but by chance the gem is part of a group of Iranian state jewels.  These are being lent to a prestigious private museum in New York City for temporary exhibit there. It will be guarded by a new state of the art alarm system plus a contingent of ex special forces troops, augmented by a squad of Iranian Republican guards.  The security will be around the clock as long as the jewels are being exhibited. This is the challenge that Riley decides to accept and moves ahead with plans in spite of the possibility that the jewels cannot be stolen.
     Riley is aided by a lady named Monique who in her own right is a master forger of paintings with her own reputation as the best in her field.  In the probable planning of a series it would appear quite likely that Monique will have her own niche.She is an object of Riley's attention and will certainly figure as both an aid in the schemes as well his female interest.  To round out the action a veteran FBI agent has made himself a master of obtaining the background and interests of Riley Wolfe and has made it his full time job to chase him in order to put him in prison.
Review Copy

If you watch heist movies (or read the books) and root for the bad guys here's a brand new off the hook novel to be on lookout for. JUST WATCH ME by Jeff Lindsay is the start of a (hopefully) long impossibly "What will he do next?" reading experience.

Riley Wolfe, like all of us, is shaped by his childhood. It causes him to do everything he does and nhis his reason for being. Riley is a deeply flawed character, far from perfect. Lindsay clearly put much time and thought into Riley's creation.

Jeff Lindsay's writing style is so easy to read. The writing is compelling and he seems to have thought of everything. Or has he?

My kindle's name is Dexter. I may need to get another and name it Riley, and switch between reading the two.
He's at it again. That is, Jeff Lindsay, the author who created Dexter, and he's hereby introducing another young man with quirks and powers who does despicable things to very bad people who deserve to die, or to bad countries which deserve to lose part of their treasure if it's going to prove that, in the "impossible to do" universe, he has no equal. This is the first of what may become a series.

For Lindsay lovers the question is, does this sound like the coming of another Dexter? Perhaps not, but "outrageous" is Lindsay's middle name, and it pays off as another edgy, fun character creation with whom we're just getting started.
While reading this, I found it playing through my brain like an action/adventure movie, something along the lines of The Italian Job. Unfortunately, I didn't find Riley Wolfe a sympathetic character at all...more along the lines of Tom Ripley (The Talented Mr. Ripley). I was drawn to this title because of the author's Dexter series, but while Dexter had (to me, at least) redeeming qualities, and a "conscience," albeit an external one (his foster father), I didn't feel that in Riley's case. Overall, I enjoyed the book, and would be interested in reading a sequel. Many thanks to NetGalley and Dutton for allowing me to read the eARC in return for an honest review.
Fast read, has all the basics of a good story but it all fits a little to quaint a d there's never any real action.
Riley Wolfe is a fantastic character in his own right, but it’s not inaccurate to assume that if you love Dexter, you’ll like Riley, too. He’s smart, funny, a quick thinker with some quirks, and has a literal rack full of personalities. (He also provides a soundtrack to coincide with his “event planning.”)

Special Agent Frank Delgado can’t let the past stay there, and uses his vacation time to start his own background research and one-man hunt for Riley Wolfe. Also stacked against Wolfe in his theft of the Iranian Crown Jewels are former SEALS, ultra high tech security, and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard. But Riley has been working on his parkour, knows a beautiful and capable artist/art forger, and has the costumes to assume some alternate identities.

Thanks to Dutton of Penguin Publishing Group and NetGalley for the provided e-ARC and the opportunity to read this book. My review is honest, unbiased, and voluntary. #NetGalley #JustWatchMe

A great start to a new series by the author of the deliciously dark Dexter series. Riley Wolfe is a master thief who is so accomplished that he now only feels challenged by seemingly impossible heists and he may have finally found one that can’t be done—stealing the Iranian Crown Jewels. The tension builds throughout the book to a breathless finale. You’ll be anxiously awaiting Riley’s next capers as soon as you finish the last page.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

A masterful thief plots an impossible crime—stealing the Iranian Crown Jewels.

From the author of the wildly successful Dexter series comes a new, mesmerizing bad guy we can root for: Riley Wolfe. He’s a master thief, expert at disguise, and not averse to violence when it’s needed. It’s no accident, though, that Riley targets the wealthiest 0.1 per cent and is willing to kill them when they’re in his way: he despises the degenerate and immoral rich and loves stealing their undeserved and unearned valuables.

In this series launch, Riley aims for an extraordinary target in a heist that will make history. Riley will try to steal the Crown Jewels of Iran. Yes, these jewels are worth billions, but the true attraction for grabbing them comes down to one simple fact: it can’t be done. Stealing these jewels is absolutely impossible. The collection is guarded by space-age electronics and two teams of heavily armed mercenaries. No one could even think of getting past the airtight security and hope to get away alive, let alone with even a single diamond from the Imperial Collection.

No one but Riley Wolfe. He’s always liked a challenge.

But this challenge may be more than even he can handle. Aside from the impenetrable security, Riley is also pursued by a brilliant and relentless cop who is barely a step behind him.

With the aid of his sometime ally, a beautiful woman who is a master art forger, Riley Wolfe goes for the prize that will either make him a legend—or, more likely, leave him dead.

YAAAAY - a book that I read today that I liked! (Only a SUPER speed reader would write that!) I love Riley Wolfe - freaking love him. I love devious people and this plot showcases him extremely well. The plot is tense and tight and I was rooting for the theft to take place ... and I cannot wait for the second book (3rd, 4th, 5th) in the series. I have never read any of the Dexter books but I am not sure if I could love a serial killer as much as I admire someone targetting the uber-uber-rich. This is a great book for anyone in search of a great twisty crime novel - bring on the diamonds, Mr Wolfe!

(Mr Wolfe? Bring on the CSI Miami flashbacks!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🐺 🐺 🐺 🐺 🐺
ARC from NETGALLEY

Riley Wolfe, has truly arrived.  A master thief who even stole his name but you can read about that.  I was not a "Dexter" fan so I almost took a pass on this one but I am glad I didn't.  Enjoy
I love Jeff Lindsay's warped talent for making us root for the most despicable of characters. The narrative voice is so engaging that one slips into the story like slipping into a warm bubble bath -- okay -- not quite a warm bubble bath because there are hopefully no psychopaths in the bath with you. A fun and quick read.
Jeff Lindsay has a real talent for creating morally bankrupt characters, and making you root for them.

In this book, the anti-hero is a thief, a murderer, he uses people, and yet i rooted for him to succeed.

I was drawn into the plot, and kept reading to find out what happened next.  The author writes so well that you can visualize the whole story.

All that praise aside, it read like a really fun movie thriller that you will forget about.  I felt a disconnect from my emotions while reading.   I wasn't involved.

It's an entertaining, really fun suspenseful book.  It just doesn't deliver the WOW.

Thank you to the publisher and net galley for the advance read.   This didn't affect my review in any way.