Sink

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Jul 2019

Images from this are still rippling in my mind.  The poet knows how to use words effectively, with metaphors working on evocative ways.

I would recommend Sink for those seeking a talented new poetic voice.
Dallagiacomo’s debut collection, Sink, reads as much as an autobiography and feminist anthem as it does a collection of poems. I devoured it. This is the type of work that is brave when it shouldn’t have to be, raw, beckoning, honest. The opening poem, My First Altar, started off clunky for me, but returning to it after finishing the book, I appreciated how it tied the collection together and spoke to all the things we sacrifice in order to rise up. It’s generational; it speaks to the pain (poverty, abuse, mental illness, addiction, loss, abandonment) and glory (physical bodies, resilience, love) we inherit, how we process it, and the output we pay forward. For Dallagiacomo, this output appears to be fierce love, forgiveness and empathy, for others and herself.

“I’ll tell you of the time/ she dug me out of the worst/ grave in the cemetery/ of my life. I’ll tell you of the time/ she was so high, she forgot/ I was living. And I will tell you that I love her/ still, still, and again.”

It is an homage to becoming a woman, to the process of falling in love with a body that society rejects, to overcoming shame, and to thriving against all odds. It is at times a eulogy to those she has lost to suicide, abandonment, prison, patriarchy. It is a story of a mother’s strength, a father’s ghost and a daughter who swept the shards of her childhood into effigy of beauty: her body, herself, her book.
This is an incredible book of poetry.
Desireé Dallagiacomo is a poet with plenty to say and she says it with passion and with not self-control.
This isn’t parlour room poetry to pontificate and please. This lines and verses are raw, emotion laid bare and complacency undermined.
Nothing here to just lift the spirit, as to listen is to be moved. To hear is to be disturbed. To read is to have all your senses assailed as by a lexicon of besieging soldiers. A vocabulary of invading force.
Poems has a metre but Sink rips that up with an outpouring of concepts and memories, hopes and fears, bruised bodies and broken spirit. Poetry however still formulates a pattern, a series of waves. A variation of pitch and length that initially not everyone can hear or understand on first encounter.
Never just read a poem once. This book will be a treasure possession in anyone’s collection. Those who like intensive and sushi emotive verse. One day a book like Sink will overrun our coastal defences of conservatism like a tsunami.
“I cannot remember his laugh though I thought I would by now. His face and folds into each year. I do not know any of his scars”.
“I do not know what children with fathers dream about, what they long for if not for someone with their same face to tuck them in at night.”
“My mother scratches at her skin so viciously she is a field of ripened sores.”
“My thighs are always the elephant in the dressing room.”
“nobody wants to develop my negatives in their darkroom”.
My favourite poem on first reading was:
Your Doctor Says Dementia.
A mind-blowing, opinion changing piece. When browsing and picking up this book, turn to this one.
For example “They’ve lifted the lid off of you and found your memory is evaporating rain, ....”
One to look out for. Buy or borrow. Read and read again.
This book was really hard for me to get through. It was incredibly raw and vulnerable and it had a LOT to say.
These are poems that go for the throat and don't let go. They have a lot to say about feminism, patriarchy, body image, abuse, trauma, and poverty—among other topics, and often in a self-knowing way, e.g. "Let me make this specific trauma work for a poem" ("Child Protective). Before I started the book I listened to a few of the author's readings on the Button Poetry YouTube channel and was completely undone (in a good way). E.g. her reading of "Thighs Say." (Watch it!) When I read it on the page I heard her voice reading it; it's hard/impossible for me to see/hear the poem now without her reading of it attached, which is maybe what a great reading does. I wasn't completely into all of her line breaks on the page and some of the poems were not quite enough for me, but enough of them were really strong. Two of my favorites: "Origin Story" and "Gutter" (both brutal). There's a running theme of knives and blades that's used to great (in the sense of violent/visceral) effect in a poem like "Gutter," that is then turned in quite a lovely and unexpected way by the later poem "Than Sex." Some of the lines I highlighted: "I know what it is to hate myself enough to keep a tally of the parts of me that I have disappeared," "people never really leave they just hide inside me," and "Where Did You Get that Pick-Up Line? You Should Drop It Back Off...." (poem title). Love that. :) :)
Thank you to NetGalley for sending me the ebook in exchange for an honest review.
This was an interesting collection of poems. Digging deep into some painful emotions. The reason I've given it a 3/5 is simply because, like a lot of poetry books, there were some poems that I loved and pulled me in, while others didn't have the same impact.
Personally I needed to read something like this. This book is beautiful and conversational in style. Loved the writing and the ideas it communicates.
I loved the honesty I felt throughout this poetry collection. Desiree doesn't shy away from the hard hitting topics, like suicide, self image, mental health etc.

Each poem hit me, they made me think and were written so cleverly; I was very impressed.
I was sent this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Every time I think of Desireé Dallagiacomo, the first thing that comes to mind is her performance of "Thighs" on Button Poetry.  That's the poem that first made me a fan.  Sink has that gem, but it also shows you another side of the poet.  Here, you learn about what it's like to see your brother go to jail, to grow up fatherless, to live with someone you don't love and to share moments more intimate than sex with someone that you do.

There's a poem that she wrote in the style of "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" by Wallace Stevens that absolutely destroyed me. You'll know it when you see it.  Brace yourself for that one.
Sink is one of my favorite Button books yet. It is the poetry in surviving as a woman, in the pain of a broken family, and in grieving, a universal language.
One thing is certain about this collection: I do not and will never know the sheer amount of strength it took for the author to bleed over each word, as though every sentence, every line is a testament of her will to fight and also embrace her growth.
Thanks Netgalley for the eARC.
An honest and raw collection of poetry that dives into the complexities of the female experience in the modern world. Poverty, grief, and healing are a Slam Poet’s bread and butter but the themes are rarely covered in such intimate depth and creativity. The structure is particularly enjoyable, whereas most poetry collections of this genre are bland and uninventive; I was pleasantly surprised by the poet's creativity and mirth when tackling sensitive subjects.

I just wanted more than I got.
Sink is a beautiful and heartrending revelation of the pain of Desiree's journey from childhood to adulthood. This is a powerful testimony to her strength and will to survive.
A raw and hard hitting poetry collection. DescriptionDesiree honestly explores a range of deep and emotional topics including self image, addiction, love, suicide and dementia in such a real and relatable way.

‘People never really leave, they just hide inside of me’
I am a huge fan of everything Button Poetry publishes and this book shook me to the core. Sink took me on a roller coaster of emotions. My heart is still pounding from the amount of pain I could feel coming from the author's words. Dallagiacomo takes you with her through a variety of experiences as she journeys from trauma to healing. Very powerful.