The Body Keeper

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Jun 2019

Anne Frasier has been one of my favorite authors for years, so any time I get a chance to review one of her books I jump at the chance. She truly knows how to spin a tale and this book is no different.
Fabulously wrote and incredibly engaging, the author deals with sensitive issues in a remarkably well perceived and realistic manner.
Fans of j.d Robb will love Jude fontaine as Frasier skilfully leads us on  a journey designed to intrigue.
I.Will say no more as don't want to spoil but if you like karen rose or kendra Elliot then you need to read this.
Thank you to NetGalley and the author and publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This is the third book in the Jude Fontaine Mysteries and the books should be read in order. Anne Frasier is one of the best authors in the dark thriller/crime fiction genre.and I find her books addictive. Jude  and partner Uriah Ashby are investigating the frozen body of a young boy found in the ice of a Minneapolis lake, that leads to the discovery of more bodies. It soon becomes apparent that the boys have been dead for at least twenty years. Jude and Uriah must unravel the mystery of their deaths, where they have been and why they are turning up now. Then, in the middle of a snowstorm, Jude finds a boy abandoned on her doorstep. Who is he and why was he left there? Both Jude and Uriah  are damaged from previous tragic events in their lives which allows them to have a deep understanding of each other and a partnership that endures.
Frasier's writing style is very descriptive and emotive. Her characterization of Jude and Uriah is complex, at times a little disturbing, The author does an excellent job at building suspense and tension in this complicated story with a gratifying conclusion. I hope there will be more books in this series, I am not ready to say goodbye.
Intense, atmospheric, excellent, disturbing... just a few adjectives that kept popping in my mind while reading this book!

My thanks to Netgally, the publisher Thomas and Mercer and author Anne Frasier for providing me with an e-Arc of the book.
The Body Keeper is the third book in the Jude Fontaine mystery series by Anne Frasier. Released 4th June by Amazon on their Thomas & Mercer imprint, it's 300 pages and available in paperback, audio, and ebook formats.

This is a thriller/suspense procedural based around a flawed and fragile female detective with a horrific past. This is the third book in the series, but there's enough backstory given that it could be read as a standalone. I recommend the previous two books in the series for the strength of the writing and for the richness of the multi-book background. According to the author's website blurb, this is to be the last book in the series. I hope she reconsiders, or starts a cognate series. These are good books.

The author is exceptionally adept at plotting and characterization, but really shines in her control of dramatic tension. I can't think of very many authors who have better control over tension driven plot mechanisms. She's a very adept writer, especially in the technical aspects of her writing. Ms. Frasier has a very cinematic style of writing and I could easily see this (possibly toned down in the violence depictions) as a movie franchise.

I recommend the series enthusiastically to devotees of procedural thrillers. Fair warning, the language and depictions are rough. The violence and brooding threat of violence are pervasive, so for readers who prefer 'cozy/light' mysteries, it could be a bit much. This would also make a perfect book club selection and there are even sample questions included at the end of the book to facilitate discussion.

Five stars for the series and five stars for this entry. Checking back over my recent review threads, it seldom happens that I find a series this consistently outstanding.

I loved this book!  It had so many twists and I didn't see any of them coming.  I'm from MN so I enjoyed reading about familiar places.  This is the first Detective Jude Fontaine mystery I have read and now I plan to start at her first.
Detective Jude has survived some terrible events in her life and is trying to get her life back on track again.  Uriah is her partner in the force trying to maintain ‘business as usual’ while coping with a serious health issue.
When a little boy’s body is discovered in a frozen lake it appears to be a missing child from 20 years ago.  As information come to hand they discover horrendous crimes have been committed and race to apprehend the evil minds behind it all.
The author has a way of making you feel you know the characters as you learn details of their private lives and events which have made them the people they are now.  I had to remind myself that just because someone has money it doesn’t make them a better person!
I thought this had a great plot but call me naive it was still a struggle to accept someone comfortably off would do what they did to their own child even though I’m sure it does happen in the real world.   Nan made a particular impression on me.  I couldnt decide if she was just plain evil, a victim of life or someone unstable showing signs she was still human.  Uriah was my favorite character and I felt for him as he coped with his health issues and police work.
From chapter 48 on I started to think ‘oh no, this cant be happening, forget to breath, someone get help, that poor little boy’.  After the suspense of the last few chapters I upped my rating from 4 to 5.
This is the third in the Detective Jude Fontaine mystery series.  Although I feel reading the earlier books would have added to my understanding of the past this remains a captivating read.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a free digital copy of the book in return for an honest review.
Intense...

This book literally had me stressed, I feel so sad for Detective Jude Fontaine, she’s forever altered by what happened. For me, she walks through life in a bit of a fog.

And I’m really worried about Uriah...

I’m very invested in these characters, and Jude is brilliant. All I want is for her to find some joy. And I am still upside down about...boy. This author weaves dark tales like a boss. Twisted and intertwined are her foray.  I’m a little worried about what comes next...and all I want is for Jude to find a bit of HEA. (Sue me I’m a true romantic)

**I am told that this is it for the series...I am sad. It was not enough for this gal. I needed more for the finale, to vague.**
5 Stars Grippin thriller The Body Keeper has readers twisting and turning  like a Hula Hoop  I read it in one sitting. I just couldn't put it down until I was at the very last page.. Talk about Readers Remorse Salivating for the next gripping read !!
This book had me feeling all of my emotions..

I thought the story was well written, fast paced, and I couldn’t put it down.

“The Boy” is now one of my favorite characters. My heart just broke into pieces reading about him and I thought the author did an excellent job conveying how an innocent child looks at the world.
I enjoyed The Body Keeper by Anne Frasier. This was volume three in the series with the same detective  Jude Fontaine. Not having read the previous two novels in the series, The Body Reader, and The Body Counter, I had some difficulty figuring out the backgrounds on the main characters. Still I would recommend this book, but say to read the previous two in the series first. I liked the way the author fleshed out the characters so that I really cared about what happened to them.
Das Buch beginnt in einer eiskalten Novembernacht in Minneapolis. Eine gehetzte Frau beseitigt vier Leichen über das Geländer in einen See darunter und verschwindet eilig in der Nacht. Doch einige Kilometer weiter verunglückt sie mit ihrem Transporter dann schwer.

Am folgenden Silvestertag findet dann ausgerechnet Elliot, bekannt aus Teil 2, zufällig bei einem Schlittschuh Unfall eine der eingefrorenen Leichen. Spontan fällt ihm nichts anderes ein, als Jude Fontaine zur Hilfe zu rufen. Bei den Ermittlungen finden sich dann Hinweise auf einen 20 Jahre alten Vermisstenfall.

Das Geschehen in diesem Buch beginnt somit ungefähr 5 Monate nach dem Ende von Band 2. Jude hat sich mittlerweile soweit möglich mit der vergangenen Ereignisse arrangiert und sie hat sich im Gegensatz zu vielen anderen damit abgefunden, dass sie wohl nie mehr die „Alte“ sein wird. Ihr Partner Uriah Ashby kann noch am besten damit umgehen und versucht sie nicht in ihrer Situation zu bedrängen.

Dann wird Minneapolis von einem Blizzard heimgesucht und in diesem furchtbaren Schneegestöber setzt eine Frau einen kleinen Jungen ausgerechnet vor Judes Apartmentgebäude aus. Zum Glück kann sie ihn noch rechtzeitig finden und retten. Nur „The Boy“ genannt kann er kaum Angaben über sich oder seine Herkunft machen. Schnell wird klar, dass er aus schlechten Verhältnissen stammen muss und in der Vergangenheit wohl misshandelt wurde. Überraschend kann der kleine Junge Jude berühren ihren Beschützerinstinkt wecken.

Zu Beginn des zweiten Drittels wird durch einen Sprung der Erzählung in die Vergangenheit ein Teil der Vorgeschichte plötzlich klarer, das fesselt spontan noch stärker an die bis dahin sehr rätselhafte Geschichte. Dann macht auch noch die verletzte Frau in der Klinik einen Fehler. Motive und Hintergründe werden durchschaubarer. Diese neuen Hinweise und weitere Rückblicke feuern das Mitraten an.

Zu Beginn des letzten Drittels kommt es zu weiteren überraschenden Taten, die Spannung bleibt hoch, die Erzählung fesselt. Die schockierenden Ereignisse fordern weitere Tote. Die Pathologie hat viel zu tun, mit der Aufklärung der ganzen rätselhaften Todesfälle.

Auch Uriahs gesundheitliche Probleme werden wieder aufgegriffen und spielen eine zunehmend wichtige Rolle. Es zeigt sich, wie nahe sich Jude und Uriah inzwischen stehen.

Zum Ende kommt es zu einem für alle Beteiligten lebensgefährlichen Show Down in Schneegestöber und Dunkelheit. In diesem Buch gewinnt der Winter in Minneapolis durch seine eindringliche Beschreibung fast einen eigenen Charakter. Der haarscharfe Ausgang der Geschichte kann mit der Aufdeckung des Täters überraschen und bringt große Emotionen hervor. Das Geständnis kann alle Fragen klären. Manches, was zunächst nach argen Zufällen aussah, ergibt dann einen Sinn.

Über lange Strecken des Buches dachte ich, dass Judes Vergangenheit nicht eine so prominente Rolle, wie in den Vorgängerteilen spielen würde, aber es kommt zu überraschenden Enthüllungen, die einen Einfluss auf weitere Bücher haben werden. Und so gibt es auch für Jude doch noch eine überzeugende persönliche Weiterentwicklung.

Man folgt auch in diesem dritten Teil gerne diesem ganz außergewöhnlichen Ermittlerpaar mit seinen Ecken und Kanten.  Es hat sehr viel Freude gemacht wieder von Jude und Uriah zu lesen. Hoffentlich wird es weitere Bücher geben! Für mich ist Anne Frasier mit diesem 3. Teil der Serie zu einer meiner liebsten Autorinnen aufgestiegen.
Wichtiger Hinweis: Man sollte unbedingt die ersten beiden Teile vorher lesen, sonst kann man der Geschichte und den charakterlichen Entwicklungen nach meiner Meinung nicht in vollem Umfang und mit ganzem Lesegenuss folgen.
This is book three of a series by Anne Frasier, featuring Jude Fontaine, a police detective who has survived a major trauma.  The story takes place in the middle of a brutal Minnesota winter.  It starts with a bang, as a body is found under the lake ice at a popular ice skating spot.
Although I have not read the first two books of the series, it would have been helpful to understand the backstories of the main characters, but it did very well as a stand-alone.  This is such a good book and highly recommended.
The Body Keeper by Anne Frasier. Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, Book 3. Thomas & Mercer, 2019.

Thanks largely to her father, Detective Jude Fontaine has not had an easy life.  In this story, a neighbour who happens to be writing a book about her calls her to report a murder. Her partner, one of the few people with whom she feels comfortable, is ill. And she finds a four-year-old abandoned on her doorstep in a freezing blizzard.  As a twenty-year old case start to come together, Jude’s instinct about people  kicks in. We respect and admire leading characters and suspect and hate the villains.

This book is written to captivate readers.  Although I had not read the first two in the series, I was able to read and enjoy this book as a stand alone.  Once started reading, I could not put it down.

Disclosure: I received a review copy of The Body Keeper for free via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I highly recommend you read this series in order.  While you can jump in here, the depth and understanding of the characters will be a little lost as Jude is unlike any character I've encountered before.  This is one of my favorite series simply for the unique, down-to-earth characters and fantastic writing style.
Absolutely brilliant book... kept me gripped... great believable characters and an excellent storyline... the author keeps you hooked til the end. Would highly recommend
Detective Jude Fontaine was kidnapped, tortured and kept isolated for three years before she was able to escape. Still recovering from her trauma, Jude tends to keep to herself and doesn't like to be touched.
From her experiences she has enhanced her empathetic abilities, which she uses in her work. She is able to read both the living and the dead.
When the body of a young boy is found below the ice on a Minnesota lake, she and her partner, Uriah Ashby are called upon to investigate.
More bodies are found, all are twelve year old, blonde haired, blue eyed boys, missing for twenty years.
Then a four year old boy is abandoned at Jude's apartment building during a severe snowstorm. He can't tell them anything about himself, not even his name.
Jude must discover the connection between the boy and the twenty year old case that is putting them all in danger.
This dark, atmospheric thriller really wowed me! A powerful and emotional story.
The great writing and remarkable character development just lured me in and I could not put this one down!
This is the third and maybe final book in the series, but my first one read. This was excellent as a stand alone, but I am definitely going back and reading the first two, and I am really hoping that this is not the end of this spectacular series!
Thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for the free ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Gripping Suspense And Non-Stop Action!I

A frozen body is discovered  beneath the ice in a lake while people are ice skating oblivious to the horror that has happened in their town and soon every person will be on edge in Minneapolis during this brutal and unmerciful winter.

Jude Fontaine and Uriah Ashby are the detectives assigned to the case of a frozen body found under the ice that may have been dead for at least twenty years and unbeknownst to them this will be the first of many murders that will be linked together in an unspeakable tragedy of events that will also have the two detectives in a fight for their own lives.
     It had been snowing all day and turned into dangerous blizzard conditions, while on that same night  a small four-year old child is found outside an apartment building almost frozen to death creating another mysterious puzzle which will involve Jude in a complex and emotional journey that she does not want to travel on.

What a terrific action-packed thriller!   Strong characterization and gripping tension.   I didn't realize this was book three in a series but it was a wonderful stand-alone story and I will certainly read Anne  Frasier's other Jude Fontaine books.   Hopefully there will be more books to come because Jude is a riveting character and  would like to see how she grows and develops in her personal life and her career.

I want to thank Thomas & Mercer and Netgalley for allowing me the opportunity to read this very engaging novel!

I highly recommend for any detective or mystery, thriller readers who enjoy non-stop action and great writing.

I have given this given this book 5 Exceptional 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Stars!!
When Elliott, Detective Jude Fontaine neighbor discovers a body underneath the ice while skating during a bitter cold Minnesota winter, he calls her. When one body becomes two, each garbed in clothes that dated from over twenty years prior the mystery deepens. While trying to investigate the bodies in the lake life becomes a roller coaster for Jude, a young boy is found nearly frozen on her doorstep, her partner Uriah finally admits he’s dealing with a life threatening medical issue and what frightens her most her human side is taking over.
This is a keeper, well developed characters, when reading I could feel myself rooting for Jude, hoping against hope that she would prevail in the end. Even though it’s a subject that some might find distasteful the subject of human trafficking of children for the purpose of sex should be investigated and prosecuted more, but alas it’s a billion dollar industry and as they say money talks.!!!!!.
Thank you NetGalley , the publisher for the chance to review this book, opinions expressed are mine.
I always say Anne Frasier has done it again when I complete one of her books and the Body Keeper is no different. I believe I have read everything that Frasier has published and recommend her books to anyone looking to read something new because yes, she's just that good of a writer. My favorites are always the detective series and following Jude Fontaine has been a wild ride. I love how much research and reality Frasier puts into the settings of her stories, this one in particular taking place in Minneapolis during a treacherous blizzard. As a reader, it's really important and one of the fun aspects to feeling like you are actually there with the characters.
On the night of the blizzard, a small boy is found outside of Jude's apartment and no one seems to know where he has come from. Jude instantly feels a connection to him seeing that he has been horribly neglected.
She is determined to find out who abandoned him as well as who has been abusing him.
Along with this situation, the detectives are on a case where young boy's bodies have been found underneath the frozen lake. The subject matter of this book deals with sex trafficking and I do think it is important that Frasier incorporated this into her series as something the Detectives are having to investigate.
 I will admit, that as a mother of several young children this story had parts that were hard for me to read but in all actuality it is a sad reality of our world and is unfortunate.
I do love how Frasier portrays the softer side of Jude in this book though as well as her developing friendship with her partner, Uriah Ashby. We get used to the closed off, hard outer shell of Fontaine because she has been through so much that it is nice to see her warm to the little boy as well as open up more with Elliott and Uriah.
I think this book definitely had a great story line, a lot of twists and turns and kept me guessing up until the end which is something I always appreciate in a read. I wasn't disappointed and was definitely left wanting more to read about Jude and her life so I hope there is more to come in this series.