Cover Image: The Body Keeper

The Body Keeper

I would particularly like to thank Thomas & Mercer and the Netgalley website for this partnership.

I was immediately attracted by the pretty cover of this book where you can see a woman from behind walking towards a bridge in snowy weather.

I have just learned that it is a volume three which gives me even more to read the two previous books.

It features Detective Jude Fontaine discovering a frozen body of a boy in Lake Minneapolis and that's not all other bodies are going to be discovered. All boys who have been missing for more than 20 years.

During a freezing wind followed by a snowstorm, a four-year-old boy is abandoned on Jude's doorstep. This child is lost and knows nothing about him. Jude will make the connection with all his dead children.

A book read in one go so I immediately hooked on the story so moving, captivating, addictive and full of suspense and twists and turns with endearing characters. Can't wait to read the two previous books.
Gripping and well worth the read. Good characters with a strong and steady storyline. Would highly recommend reading this series to anyone interested in this genre.
This is apparently part of a series and I think it would be best to read them first as this didn't completely stand alone.

Did like the plot and very much the characters. Did enjoy it. Just had a little trouble since I hadn't read the previous books.
I wanted to like this book. In fact, I was planning on reading the whole series. The story is about a policewoman who gets kidnapped and tortured for 3 years, and then escapes and tries to return to some kind of normal life. Her PTSD type reactions to the most common activities like getting hugs from a friend, not wanting to social with people, being hypervigilant and aware (the body reader), and having serious issues reestablishing her old relationships are dead-on behaviors. My problem with the story is two fold: 1) it reminded of a Dave Chappelle joke about the Elizabeth Smart kidnapping (the kidnapping seem to have happened a taxi ride from the police officer house); 2) it just doesn't seem probable that a police officer could go 3 years and not escape. And it's not that I didn't have sympathy for the character being kidnapped, raped and beaten -- it's just the character was too one dimensional for me to invest time reading a whole series of books about her being a victim.
This was a bit of a different story for Jude. She's struggling to still fit in but now she needs to form actual relationships and bonds. She knows she should but doesn't know how to start - how to trust or let her guard down. In the midst of all this, bodies are showing up under ice. There is also an intermingled story about Boy. There are multiple POV and ones that were sometimes confusing. The plot felt a bit muddled and I didn't feel as connected to Uriah's current moment of struggle. There was a lot less Jude's new skills and a lot more drama about the ugliness of the world. This story felt different than the previous ones. Not bad, per say, but just pulled me in less than the others. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the next one, though, because I'm curious where it will go.
Anne Frasier has been one of my favorite authors for years, so any time I get a chance to review one of her books I jump at the chance. She truly knows how to spin a tale and this book is no different.
Fabulously wrote and incredibly engaging, the author deals with sensitive issues in a remarkably well perceived and realistic manner.
Fans of j.d Robb will love Jude fontaine as Frasier skilfully leads us on  a journey designed to intrigue.
I.Will say no more as don't want to spoil but if you like karen rose or kendra Elliot then you need to read this.
Thank you to NetGalley and the author and publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This is the third book in the Jude Fontaine Mysteries and the books should be read in order. Anne Frasier is one of the best authors in the dark thriller/crime fiction genre.and I find her books addictive. Jude  and partner Uriah Ashby are investigating the frozen body of a young boy found in the ice of a Minneapolis lake, that leads to the discovery of more bodies. It soon becomes apparent that the boys have been dead for at least twenty years. Jude and Uriah must unravel the mystery of their deaths, where they have been and why they are turning up now. Then, in the middle of a snowstorm, Jude finds a boy abandoned on her doorstep. Who is he and why was he left there? Both Jude and Uriah  are damaged from previous tragic events in their lives which allows them to have a deep understanding of each other and a partnership that endures.
Frasier's writing style is very descriptive and emotive. Her characterization of Jude and Uriah is complex, at times a little disturbing, The author does an excellent job at building suspense and tension in this complicated story with a gratifying conclusion. I hope there will be more books in this series, I am not ready to say goodbye.
Intense, atmospheric, excellent, disturbing... just a few adjectives that kept popping in my mind while reading this book!

My thanks to Netgally, the publisher Thomas and Mercer and author Anne Frasier for providing me with an e-Arc of the book.
The Body Keeper is the third book in the Jude Fontaine mystery series by Anne Frasier. Released 4th June by Amazon on their Thomas & Mercer imprint, it's 300 pages and available in paperback, audio, and ebook formats.

This is a thriller/suspense procedural based around a flawed and fragile female detective with a horrific past. This is the third book in the series, but there's enough backstory given that it could be read as a standalone. I recommend the previous two books in the series for the strength of the writing and for the richness of the multi-book background. According to the author's website blurb, this is to be the last book in the series. I hope she reconsiders, or starts a cognate series. These are good books.

The author is exceptionally adept at plotting and characterization, but really shines in her control of dramatic tension. I can't think of very many authors who have better control over tension driven plot mechanisms. She's a very adept writer, especially in the technical aspects of her writing. Ms. Frasier has a very cinematic style of writing and I could easily see this (possibly toned down in the violence depictions) as a movie franchise.

I recommend the series enthusiastically to devotees of procedural thrillers. Fair warning, the language and depictions are rough. The violence and brooding threat of violence are pervasive, so for readers who prefer 'cozy/light' mysteries, it could be a bit much. This would also make a perfect book club selection and there are even sample questions included at the end of the book to facilitate discussion.

Five stars for the series and five stars for this entry. Checking back over my recent review threads, it seldom happens that I find a series this consistently outstanding.

I loved this book!  It had so many twists and I didn't see any of them coming.  I'm from MN so I enjoyed reading about familiar places.  This is the first Detective Jude Fontaine mystery I have read and now I plan to start at her first.
Detective Jude has survived some terrible events in her life and is trying to get her life back on track again.  Uriah is her partner in the force trying to maintain ‘business as usual’ while coping with a serious health issue.
When a little boy’s body is discovered in a frozen lake it appears to be a missing child from 20 years ago.  As information come to hand they discover horrendous crimes have been committed and race to apprehend the evil minds behind it all.
The author has a way of making you feel you know the characters as you learn details of their private lives and events which have made them the people they are now.  I had to remind myself that just because someone has money it doesn’t make them a better person!
I thought this had a great plot but call me naive it was still a struggle to accept someone comfortably off would do what they did to their own child even though I’m sure it does happen in the real world.   Nan made a particular impression on me.  I couldnt decide if she was just plain evil, a victim of life or someone unstable showing signs she was still human.  Uriah was my favorite character and I felt for him as he coped with his health issues and police work.
From chapter 48 on I started to think ‘oh no, this cant be happening, forget to breath, someone get help, that poor little boy’.  After the suspense of the last few chapters I upped my rating from 4 to 5.
This is the third in the Detective Jude Fontaine mystery series.  Although I feel reading the earlier books would have added to my understanding of the past this remains a captivating read.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a free digital copy of the book in return for an honest review.
Intense...

This book literally had me stressed, I feel so sad for Detective Jude Fontaine, she’s forever altered by what happened. For me, she walks through life in a bit of a fog.

And I’m really worried about Uriah...

I’m very invested in these characters, and Jude is brilliant. All I want is for her to find some joy. And I am still upside down about...boy. This author weaves dark tales like a boss. Twisted and intertwined are her foray.  I’m a little worried about what comes next...and all I want is for Jude to find a bit of HEA. (Sue me I’m a true romantic)

**I am told that this is it for the series...I am sad. It was not enough for this gal. I needed more for the finale, to vague.**
5 Stars Grippin thriller The Body Keeper has readers twisting and turning  like a Hula Hoop  I read it in one sitting. I just couldn't put it down until I was at the very last page.. Talk about Readers Remorse Salivating for the next gripping read !!
This book had me feeling all of my emotions..

I thought the story was well written, fast paced, and I couldn’t put it down.

“The Boy” is now one of my favorite characters. My heart just broke into pieces reading about him and I thought the author did an excellent job conveying how an innocent child looks at the world.
I enjoyed The Body Keeper by Anne Frasier. This was volume three in the series with the same detective  Jude Fontaine. Not having read the previous two novels in the series, The Body Reader, and The Body Counter, I had some difficulty figuring out the backgrounds on the main characters. Still I would recommend this book, but say to read the previous two in the series first. I liked the way the author fleshed out the characters so that I really cared about what happened to them.
Das Buch beginnt in einer eiskalten Novembernacht in Minneapolis. Eine gehetzte Frau beseitigt vier Leichen über das Geländer in einen See darunter und verschwindet eilig in der Nacht. Doch einige Kilometer weiter verunglückt sie mit ihrem Transporter dann schwer.

Am folgenden Silvestertag findet dann ausgerechnet Elliot, bekannt aus Teil 2, zufällig bei einem Schlittschuh Unfall eine der eingefrorenen Leichen. Spontan fällt ihm nichts anderes ein, als Jude Fontaine zur Hilfe zu rufen. Bei den Ermittlungen finden sich dann Hinweise auf einen 20 Jahre alten Vermisstenfall.

Das Geschehen in diesem Buch beginnt somit ungefähr 5 Monate nach dem Ende von Band 2. Jude hat sich mittlerweile soweit möglich mit der vergangenen Ereignisse arrangiert und sie hat sich im Gegensatz zu vielen anderen damit abgefunden, dass sie wohl nie mehr die „Alte“ sein wird. Ihr Partner Uriah Ashby kann noch am besten damit umgehen und versucht sie nicht in ihrer Situation zu bedrängen.

Dann wird Minneapolis von einem Blizzard heimgesucht und in diesem furchtbaren Schneegestöber setzt eine Frau einen kleinen Jungen ausgerechnet vor Judes Apartmentgebäude aus. Zum Glück kann sie ihn noch rechtzeitig finden und retten. Nur „The Boy“ genannt kann er kaum Angaben über sich oder seine Herkunft machen. Schnell wird klar, dass er aus schlechten Verhältnissen stammen muss und in der Vergangenheit wohl misshandelt wurde. Überraschend kann der kleine Junge Jude berühren ihren Beschützerinstinkt wecken.

Zu Beginn des zweiten Drittels wird durch einen Sprung der Erzählung in die Vergangenheit ein Teil der Vorgeschichte plötzlich klarer, das fesselt spontan noch stärker an die bis dahin sehr rätselhafte Geschichte. Dann macht auch noch die verletzte Frau in der Klinik einen Fehler. Motive und Hintergründe werden durchschaubarer. Diese neuen Hinweise und weitere Rückblicke feuern das Mitraten an.

Zu Beginn des letzten Drittels kommt es zu weiteren überraschenden Taten, die Spannung bleibt hoch, die Erzählung fesselt. Die schockierenden Ereignisse fordern weitere Tote. Die Pathologie hat viel zu tun, mit der Aufklärung der ganzen rätselhaften Todesfälle.

Auch Uriahs gesundheitliche Probleme werden wieder aufgegriffen und spielen eine zunehmend wichtige Rolle. Es zeigt sich, wie nahe sich Jude und Uriah inzwischen stehen.

Zum Ende kommt es zu einem für alle Beteiligten lebensgefährlichen Show Down in Schneegestöber und Dunkelheit. In diesem Buch gewinnt der Winter in Minneapolis durch seine eindringliche Beschreibung fast einen eigenen Charakter. Der haarscharfe Ausgang der Geschichte kann mit der Aufdeckung des Täters überraschen und bringt große Emotionen hervor. Das Geständnis kann alle Fragen klären. Manches, was zunächst nach argen Zufällen aussah, ergibt dann einen Sinn.

Über lange Strecken des Buches dachte ich, dass Judes Vergangenheit nicht eine so prominente Rolle, wie in den Vorgängerteilen spielen würde, aber es kommt zu überraschenden Enthüllungen, die einen Einfluss auf weitere Bücher haben werden. Und so gibt es auch für Jude doch noch eine überzeugende persönliche Weiterentwicklung.

Man folgt auch in diesem dritten Teil gerne diesem ganz außergewöhnlichen Ermittlerpaar mit seinen Ecken und Kanten.  Es hat sehr viel Freude gemacht wieder von Jude und Uriah zu lesen. Hoffentlich wird es weitere Bücher geben! Für mich ist Anne Frasier mit diesem 3. Teil der Serie zu einer meiner liebsten Autorinnen aufgestiegen.
Wichtiger Hinweis: Man sollte unbedingt die ersten beiden Teile vorher lesen, sonst kann man der Geschichte und den charakterlichen Entwicklungen nach meiner Meinung nicht in vollem Umfang und mit ganzem Lesegenuss folgen.
This is book three of a series by Anne Frasier, featuring Jude Fontaine, a police detective who has survived a major trauma.  The story takes place in the middle of a brutal Minnesota winter.  It starts with a bang, as a body is found under the lake ice at a popular ice skating spot.
Although I have not read the first two books of the series, it would have been helpful to understand the backstories of the main characters, but it did very well as a stand-alone.  This is such a good book and highly recommended.
The Body Keeper by Anne Frasier. Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, Book 3. Thomas & Mercer, 2019.

Thanks largely to her father, Detective Jude Fontaine has not had an easy life.  In this story, a neighbour who happens to be writing a book about her calls her to report a murder. Her partner, one of the few people with whom she feels comfortable, is ill. And she finds a four-year-old abandoned on her doorstep in a freezing blizzard.  As a twenty-year old case start to come together, Jude’s instinct about people  kicks in. We respect and admire leading characters and suspect and hate the villains.

This book is written to captivate readers.  Although I had not read the first two in the series, I was able to read and enjoy this book as a stand alone.  Once started reading, I could not put it down.

Disclosure: I received a review copy of The Body Keeper for free via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I highly recommend you read this series in order.  While you can jump in here, the depth and understanding of the characters will be a little lost as Jude is unlike any character I've encountered before.  This is one of my favorite series simply for the unique, down-to-earth characters and fantastic writing style.