Captain Easterday's Bargain

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2019

I could not get into this book. I read the first few pages and could understand what was going on, who was being spoken about. Couldn't go on.
Olivia Cantarell had inherited the family business from her father.  He was a shipping magnate and now she was in charge.  But, women were supposed stay home and run the household and let the men run the business.  She was not about to step aside for any man and as she began to be courted, she realized that if she ever wanted to marry, her husband would then own her and her business.  There was no way she was going to allow that to happen.  She was on the shelf, as it were already because she was older than most women who were of marriageable age.

Captain Marcus Easterday was a gentleman who also ran a successful business.  He had been a captain aboard a ship and now was mostly on land.  He was known for his honesty and decency.  He had been jilted twice by younger, flighty women.  He was no approaching 40 years of age and convinced that he would remain a bachelor.  He saw a need with Oliva Cantarell and he wanted to help.  He could see she was a woman of intelligence and strength, both characteristics that he admired greatly.  When he saw an opportunity to help her, he came forward.  She began to rely on his help and before long a bargain was struck that would benefit them both.

This story was well written, with well crafted characters.  There was drama, suspense, kidnappings and romance.  It was a clean story that told about the seedier sides of London commerce but without being a seedy story.  I was given an arc copy of this book and I willingly offer my review.
Captain Easterday’s Bargain
by Kathleen Buckley

I found this book to be a difficult read. As you begin the story it’s so abrupt that it felt like the beginning was forgotten to be put in.

I would say that is not an Era I would ever want to live in. But if you like this era than this book may be for you.

Some of the characters were strong and detailed so you felt you knew them. There were some that felt thrown in. As for the plot, it dragged at places, but ended with a nice ending.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book.
All thoughts and opinions are my own.

#Netgalley
Thank you net galley for the advance read copy of this novel.   This novel started off in what felt like the middle of the story.  In fact I went back to net galley description to make sure this wasn't a second novel that I had started before reading the first.   I could not grasp plot or characters and did not finish this book.   It may work for other readers but not for me.
I wasn’t fussed on this at all, it sounded good but it was slow paced and I couldn’t connect with any of the characters, the plot felt all over the place. A no from me.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
I read the first three chapters but found the prose chewy and somewhat dull. No review published. I read the first three chapters but found the prose chewy and somewhat dull. No review published.
I am giving a fair and honest review for this ARC.  My goodness what a long, well told story.  So many characters and such plot twists!  The beginning of the book threw me a bit and I thought, hmm, this is not going to be good because it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.  However the story did coalesce into a very readable tale.