Good Girls Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

Very interesting mystery/thriller in the high society of an all girl school.
When everyone had a secret to hide, how can you tell who your real friends are?
Ash Carlisle came to the Goode school to get away from her life in London. She’s looking for a new start. But when the girls in the school start singling her out and finding her secrets, how can she continue to hold up her poise and distance.
Intrigue and death seem to follow the girls at Goode. After all, the Goode girls lie.
Ash Carlisle has been added as a student to a prestigious school. The Goode School is known to cater to girls of the elite. It is an all girls school. All the girls are hand-picked by the Dean/headmistress Ford Julianne Westhaven. The school has always been run by Westhaven women.
Ash was put in front of a long line of girls waiting to be accepted into the school. She is from England. Her parents have died. She is an orphan.
Ash is tall, blonde and smart . She is especially apt at computers. What nobody knows is that she's also a sociopath and very capable of murder.
She harbors deep dark secrets that can easily destroy the school and it's reputation.
Wildly entertaining. Titillating, and full of dark corners. Great characters!
J.T. ELLISON is a master at  telling a story! This one pulled me in from the first page to the last; infused with wonderful layers of subplot,and vividly complicated flawed pathological main character..   Good Girls Lie  was such a well written and intricate story-line  that made it easy to follow the stories twists, surprises and developments.
Don't miss this mindbending Thriller!!
This book was thrilling and had twists that I did not expect. Ellison crafted a mystery that had all the right pieces of a boarding school thriller. However, it took a little too long for Ellison to put those pieces together. The novel was unnecessarily wordy and descriptive and could have done with some editing to make it tighter and make the thrills more impactful. As someone who attended an all-girls private high school, I also struggled with some of the inaccuracies and some of the teenage characters had voices and behaviors that seemed more appropriate to college students or even adults. While Good Girls Lies could have been better, the ending was perfect. Ellison wrapped the story up in an unexpected but fitting way.
Good girls, and bad ones too, go to Goode School in the Shenandoah Mountains of Virginia.    They are rich daughters of the Washington, D.C., elite.  The high school has been in the same family for generations.   Needless to say,  this private academy has rules and regulations:  a Honor Code, blue books for exams,  no hair dyes because "the ladies of Goode will not be fake."     In addition, there are cliques, vicious bullies,  and secret societies.

Ash comes from Britain on a secret scholarship.  While adjusting to the different culture., she practices her smile in front of a mirror.  "Isn't this what a sociopath does?  Work on their camouflage?"   She adds,  "I've never understood my compulsive desire to lie.  I've read so many articles I've become my own sociology experiment."

As to be expected in a thriller novel, there are deaths and more deaths.   I enjoyed this book, however I became confused after reading three-fourths of it --- a twist,  wait a minute?!   Took several chapters to clear up the confusion.

Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin for this read!
I don’t know if I’m the target audience for this book, but I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

Why would I not be the target audience, because it’s set in an all girls college, nearly all of the characters are female, because one of the two main characters is 16. So why did a middle aged man enjoy it so much.

Because it is one of the darkest psychological thrillers I’ve ever read.

Ash is 16, the daughter of a very successful finance manager in the UK, or she was, until she found both parents dead in their home.

Having already been accepted to the prestigious, all girls Goode College, in a small town in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Ash is looking for a new start. With the agreement of the Dean she changes her name and keeps her family history a secret. But is there more to this secrecy than just hiding her tragic past?

Outwardly a grieving, thoughtful, English teenager, Ash has the mind of someone much older, and way more experienced. Her introvert style soon catches the attention of the school cliques and she becomes a target. Her secrecy making her even more intriguing, and an obvious target for some high class bitchiness.

Her chief Nemesis is Becca, Head Girl and Queen Bee, a girl so ensconced in the schools traditions that she even has the ear of the Dean. A Dean who has inherited the post since her mothers removal, a post she doesn’t really want. A Dean whose eye is off the ball.

Ash’s life is miserable but it gets much worse.

Two sudden deaths in the school have the gossips pointing in one direction, then things get worse, much worse, but to say how would only spoil the book.

This book is a dark and twisted Psychological Thriller.

There is murder a plenty but the real shocking stuff is the way that the girls in the school prey on each other, how they think their entitled life makes them immune, not just to the rules and regulations, but also to the moralistic rights and wrongs of society.

There were times when I thought I’d worked the plot out, and how it was going to end. I hadn’t.

At 380 pages this would usually take me three or four days to read, but once I’d picked it up I wasn’t putting it down and had it finished in half the time

J.T Ellison is an American author. I’d never heard of her before, but a quick look on Amazon showed me that she has quite a catalogue. So, without hesitation, I’ve just spent some of my well earned money on 2 more of her books

What greater recommendation can I give.
I loved reading this book.  The main characters were interesting and it kept me guessing until the end.  There were plenty of twists and turns with a satisfying ending.
This story takes place at an all girls boarding school in West Virginia. It’s a school for the rich and privileged. The main character Ash just wants to do well and focus on school.. it takes off from there. It kinda gave me a gossip girl feel which I loved loved loved! I felt as though I was in the theater watching this story take place. I loved that I could never figure it out and everything that I thought was going on proved to be wrong so that kept me flipping those pages with the speed of lightning. I was not prepared for the twist and turns. This book is worthy of all the attention . I love this author’s work and have read most of her books. I was so excited to get to review this book in exchange for my honest opinion thanks to  Netgalley. You need to get this book. You won’t be disappointed. J.T.Ellison has done it again! I most definitely recommend this book. My rating is 5 stars📚
*4 Stars*

Copy kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Interesting read and characters. Shows what kids will do for money and the extremes that some people will go to.
wow! amazing book! tons of twists and turns and suspense. held my attention from the first page to the last page. will definetly be recommending this to others and can't wait to read more by this author!
I love the Taylor Jackson and Sam Owens series by this author but the last few books have not been my cup of tea. This book takes me back to why I love JT Ellison books. All girl school for the very rich. You can see where this is going. Backstabbing,hazing, bullying,girl clicks and murder. There is a creepy gothic feel to the whole book. Something seems of about Ash from the beginning. Her parents are both dead.She does not want to fit in. The first part of the book seems kind of slow but the second part takes off like wildfire. It’s a race to the finish and oh boy what a finish. I did not see that coming at all.
This book was a really interesting read.

Set in an exclusive boarding school, recently orphaned Ash is the new student with possibly something or many things to hide.

Ash immediately catches the sympathy of the head of the school and her piano teacher while invoking some ire from her roommate and the most popular senior on campus. While sympathetic to Ash, the reader is often asked to ponder how much they can really trust her. I enjoyed the differing perspectives of the book, and I felt the book was entertaining and had some inventive surprises.

My only complaint was the book was little long and drug in some places, but the action was enough to keep my interest.

All in all this was an inventive, interesting summer read.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley.com for my advanced copy.
I loved this book! The style of writing leaves the reader feeling as if they are right there in the story. Of course while reading I had several different theories running as to what was going on of course I believed that I had it all figured out  . However, I WAS NOT prepared for the twist. The only area of the book where I felt slightly let down was the ending, I felt I invested so much time in reading this book and have it wrapped up in a pages was sort of a let down. Over all, I am glad I was able to read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it!
This is difficult to review - the premise sounded great and I settled down to read a thriller set in a girls boarding school. I found the novel difficult to get into and I had to keep restarting.  Could have been a great novel but in the end it was a good one.
*Thanks to NetGalley and MIRA for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.*I love books set in boarding schools. I love mysteries and thrillers. Thus, this was a book made for me. I loved reading about the different customs and traditions at the Goode School - their 'Odds and Evens', secret societies, honor code, urban legends about the school's past. I have also read one of Ellison's previous books, 'Lie to Me', so I knew I was onto a good thing. Orphan Ash leaves behind Oxford to travel to the Good School in Virginia, an educational institution that only grants entry to the brightest of the bright... and the richest of the rich. Ash has left behind a sad and shadowy past in England... but she does not really know what she is getting herself into at the Goode School, either. The book is full of twists and turns that will have readers guessing right until the very end. I did feel the ending was perhaps *slightly* rushed, but I do know that all good things must end! I think this book will be a hit with the fans of Pretty Little Liars.
I’ve really enjoyed JT Ellison’s past novel and was super stoked to receive this advanced copy of Good Girls Lie. I wasn’t let down! The was awesome and the descriptions were spot on and the narrative was perfect. This definitely in my top 5 this year!
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Really enjoyed this book. It kept me interested all the way through. I would definitely recommend to a fellow reader. I like the cover as well.
This is a great thriller, and reminds me of some of the Gossip Girl, Private, etc series. Ash has just come to the Goode school after dealing with the horrible tragedy of the death of her parents. There are obviously some suspicious circumstances surrounding their deaths, especially when the present is interspersed with tales of the past. Despite the feeling you get that Ash is guilty of some horrible things, I find it difficult to dislike her. This makes sense during one of the Big Reveals at the end of the novel.

Ash starts to navigate the privileged waters of Goode school, dealing with petty girls, jealousies, secret societies, and malicious gossip. But then girls start dying, and everything takes a much more serious turn.

It is difficult, in my opinion, to get a good thriller that seems surprising, but also realistic, and that the ending isn't too far-fetched. This one does a decent job of it, and I found myself pretty satisfied at the end of the book.
DNF 20%

1) The interactive narrative—the type that addresses the readers and asks lots of questions about its own story—was irritating rather than amusing. There were these clunky attempts at being clever that failed abysmally. If anything the use of certain words seemed incredibly unlikely especially if they were being used by a teenager. For instance, how likely is it that someone would think this: "Epochs of instinct tell me this is an important moment".... ? ! This doesn't sound clever or likely given that a 16 year old is thinks that she has 'epochs of instincts'...

2)Speaking of teenagers...none of these girls sounded like modern teenagers. The story takes place in 2019 and J. T. Ellison's teenagers are completely out of touch with reality.

3) "Each class has fifty girls […] all of whom go to college […] a full 90 percent go traditional Ivy"...sure.

4)Over the top drama-lama: "there is something smoldering in the other girl's depths. Fire and hate and more, something wrong." Phrases like this are laughable. I understand that 'potentially dangerous teenage girls' are the new thing but to attribute to a girl's eyes so much 'wrongness' seems like a cheap effort to convey this sense of 'danger'.

5) Boring. As the self-congratulatory narrative is more focused on appearing clever rather than interesting there was nothing to keep my interest. This lukewarm start will probably lead into a Gossip Girl kind of scenario...
A dark, twisty thriller set at an elite all girls boarding school written by JT Ellison?!

Sign. Me. Up.

Seriously, I don’t know why I love stories that take place at boarding schools. Or ones having to do with secret societies and hazing by terrible, cliquey teens, but I do. So much. I do however know why I love stories by JT Ellison. I’ve read all her books and loved them, but this one was by far my favorite.

Synopsis:

Perched atop a hill in the tiny town of Marchberg, Virginia, The Goode School is a prestigious prep school known as a silent Ivy. The boarding school of choice for daughters of the rich and influential, it accepts only the best and brightest. Its elite status, long held traditions, and honor code are ideal for preparing exceptional young women for brilliant futures at Ivy League universities and beyond. But a stranger has come to Goode, and this ivy has turned poisonous. In a world where appearances are everything, as long as students pretend to follow the rules, no one questions the cruelties of the secret societies or the dubious behavior of the privileged young women who expect to get away with murder. But when a popular student is found dead, the truth cannot be ignored. Rumors suggest she was struggling with a secret that drove her to suicide. But look closely.....because there are truths and there are lies, and then there is everything that really happened.

Whew. Once I picked this book up I could not put it down. There are so many twists and turns that by the end my head was spinning. What a ride!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5

Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Mira books for the advance digital copy! This one is out December 30!