Murder, Motherhood, and Miraculous Grace

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Nov 2019

I was blown away by this book. It was beautifully written and what a heartwrenching story within these pages.
This was a compelling true story of one woman’s faith and openness to God’s calling. She and her husband, over a period of many years, had fostered 140 children. When asked to take in a drug addicted newborn they readily agreed. When asked later to take in that baby’s additional four siblings, they hesitantly agreed. Deb and her family came to love these children and shared with them God’s love for each one. But when a court order required them to send the children back to their birth mother all their lives changed forever.
In the aftermath, I could never have done the many things Deb had done. She went against what her husband and children wanted her to do because of her strong convictions that she was doing what she felt God wanted her to do. She had a strong spiritual connection to the Lord and didn’t always want to do what he was calling her to do but she obeyed anyway.
There were some sections of the book that was hard for me to read. Reality is sometimes more horrid than any fiction that could be imagined, but this was a book that I couldn’t put down. So much pain, hurt and injustice but a wonderful thread of God’s wonderful grace and redemption also. I so admired Deb for her strong convictions to God’s voice in spite of all the objections by those around her including close family. Sometimes giving or receiving forgiveness is one of the hardest things but so freeing and peace giving. This is a real life story that I won’t be forgetting anytime soon, if ever.
I received a complimentary ebook copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley. I was not required to write a review positive or otherwise. All opinions are strictly my own.
Topic: Murder, foster care, and trials of spiritual faith.

Flow:★★★☆☆
I felt that this book was hard for me only because the flow was so disruptive with all the side-stories being told (the amount of people being introduced). It confused me and made the story unsteady for me since so many people were being introduced.

Overall: Since I didn't complete this book I can only give a rating based on the *19% I finished. I really enjoyed Debra's voice and I would have stayed hooked if I wasn't confused with the flow of the story.

*this rating is based on the amount I finished
Y'all know that I love a good murder mystery, especially when it's based on a true story. Unfortunately, this is one of the most heartbreaking true stories that I've read.

This is the true story of a foster family and not just any foster family, this was the teach others how to do it foster family. They took all the tough cases and kept larger families together. They knew how to foster kids. This story is about a specific family of several kids that came into their care when their single mother ran into some problems with the law.

There was one little girl from the displaced family, Hannah, found a very special place in their hearts. It became clear during their time together that Hannah was not treated the same as her siblings by her birth mother, Karen. She showed fear and the other children distanced themselves from her. When it came time to return to live with their birth mother, Hannah begged to stay with the Moerke family. The Moerkes did all they could to keep tabs on her and to make sure that she was doing well in the care of her mother. They even offered to let Hannah live with them while her birth mother got settled in her care of her children. You can imagine the Moerke's heartbreak when they discovered that Hannah had been murdered by her mother.

It is this murder that brings the real story to the forefront, it's when Debra Moerke is given the opportunity to extend grace to Hannah's mother. It is that grace that is so mystifying and capturing as a reader. Karen, who only wanted what was best for Hannah, finds herself in a position of extending grace to the woman that stole the life of this young girl. The story goes on to share how the Moerke's were asked to adopt the infant that Karen gave birth to while in prison. And how that grace they extended to Karen grew and changed the lives of both families.

This story is such a great reminder that just because we offer grace, it doesn't mean that everything is going to turn out peaches and cream. It also gives us a very real picture of how grace not only changes the receiver but the giver. It's Debra that we see growing in her conviction of what she's supposed to offer Karen. It's what we see Debra giving up in order to extend that grace.

I really enjoyed this book, it was so very well written and a wonderful reminder that grace is difficult and it's messy and it is so very much worth the effort.

I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley for the purpose of review. I'm never required to give positive feedback but I'm always thankful when I can.
I have to admit I struggled with the rating a bit. I read this book in 24 hours because I needed to know what happened next. This story tears at your heart for the children involved. I just was left with a lot of questions at the end of the book.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

A child disappears . . . a foster mom faces an impossible choice . . . a baby’s future hangs in the balance.
When Deb Moerke and her husband decided to become foster parents, they never imagined how their lives would change. And never did they imagine their worst nightmare coming true: their five-year-old foster daughter, Hannah, murdered at the hands of her birth mom, Karen.

The Moerkes were overwhelmed with horror and grief. And just when they didn’t think they could bear any more, Deb received a phone call from Karen in prison. Facing a life sentence for Hannah’s murder, she was pregnant. And Karen had an incredible request: Would Deb take her unborn baby in, and love it as her own?

How would you respond? Could you show God’s love to someone who had hurt you and taken away everything you held dear?

Murder, Motherhood, and Miraculous Grace is an unbelievable true story of faith, family, and a journey toward seemingly impossible forgiveness. A story that tests the limits of the human heart, it’s ultimately a beautiful, life-affirming testament to show how unconditional love and relentless obedience can transform even the darkest of nights into mornings of hope.

Wow, what a book.  If it were fiction, I would be heralding the author for an incredible story but this was true life. Wow. The book was wonderfully written - I cried so many times my husband thought that I was nuts even though some of them were happy tears. (Do NOT read this book if it is, say, a hormonal time of the month for you.) I was adopted as well (and there was a jail component involved, unfortunately) and Miss Moerke was an angel to take on all she did. This is such a good book - book clubs would love it as they tend to be full of moms and the definition of motherhood is such a big part of this book!

p.s. if I am going to be honest, I do not like the book's cover!