Twice in a Blue Moon

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Oct 2019

This is my 7th book this year by Christina Lauren! Safe to say “Twice in a Blue Moon” was just as good as the others, never disappointed when I pick up one of their books!#julesbookshelf📚#christinalauren #59 #twiceinabluemoon
CLo has done it again! I’ve been so curious where I’d fall on the scale of mixed reviews I’ve seen for this one, and I’m thrilled to say I landed in the “loved it!” camp. It’s definitely not their more signature fun-loving, witty romance that you might come to expect from them, and instead has a more serious feel and tone to it (though don’t fear, it still has plenty of steam and swoon).

From the “then” as we see Sam and Tate meet and very quickly fall head over heels for each other on vacation in London (ahh, young love) to the “present” as we see them suddenly get thrown together again as adults on a movie set and get a second chance at love... it didn’t take me long to get wrapped up in these characters as individuals and as a couple. It probably doesn’t hurt that first love and second chance romances are favorite tropes, too. And then there was the fantastic cast of the secondary characters who I adored as well, especially in their support, encouragement, and truthfulness in Sam and Tate’s lives. Gotta love those side characters coming in clutch and adding to the story! Again, this one isn’t light and breezy and touches on tougher subjects that to me, gave it an overall authenticity and depth that I so appreciated.

Everything combined made me one happy reader as I couldn’t help but fly through this book, and it proved once again why Christina Lauren is a definite favorite go-to of mine!

Thank you NetGalley and Gallery Books for the complimentary copy.
This reads kind of like a teenage girl's fantasy: girl meets boy, they fall head over heels, he betrays her, she becomes famous actress, they meet again, now she can show him what he's missing! Insta-love, insta-fame. Even the whole betrayal thing was obvious. A fun read if your expectations aren't too high.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free e-ARC of this book.
I was looking forward to reading something light and romance-y so when I got approved for Twice in a Blue Moon by Christina Lauren, I was super excited to begin reading. Unfortunately, the story did not grab me as her previous book (The Unhoneymooners) did. This is about a girl with a secret who meets a boy when she's eighteen, falls in love, tells him his secret, all hell breaks loose, skip a few years and they meet up again. There was some humor and her characters weren't dull, but the  overall story was too slow for me (or maybe my exhausted brain needs a break from this genre for now?). However, I will recommend this book to anyone who wants a light read because it's not "that" bad (3/5 stars). Thank you NetGalley and publisher for providing me the eArc of this book. Opinions are my own.
I’m already a fan of Christina Lauren’s books. They’re always fun, the characters are great and the story keeps me engaged. This one does not disappoint. It’s super cute and keeps my faith in well written Romances alive. There’s a lot of awful romance novels out there, but I’m always excited to read anything by Christina Lauren.
I must confess that this is my first book by the writing duo Christina Lauren and I'm not sure I picked the best one as my first!  Twice in a Blue Moon is a tale that starts with two college aged kids on a family trip with a grandparent.  It is a bit of a love at first sight moment with chemistry and intimacy and neither could imagine that they were falling in love so quickly in such a short amount of time.  Their time together abruptly ends with an emotional crisis and a betrayal and that section ends and section two begins.

Fast forward 14 years, and now, these same two people, who are now very different, reconnect and hardly even discuss why they didn't stay in touch all of these years (which is a huge occurrence but let's not focus on a catalyst that changed lives and all)…

It feels a bit like two different books and I really enjoyed the first half when the kids were teens/young adults but then when they reunited, it felt like different people and I never really connected with their present day lives.  I think the book would have been better if we hadn't skipped ahead 14 years but just continued the story - there would have been plenty of material to use without a 14 yr gap of hurt emotions and unexplained loss.   The ending was gratifying but still disjointed with another emotional crisis thrown together.

Others have loved their earlier works so I am going to work on the backlist for this author!

I am grateful to NetGalley and to Gallery Books for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A pleasant romance, featuring Tate and Sam, first meeting up as young adults on a trip to London.  Sam is with his grandfather and guardian, Luther, while Tate, the daughter of a famous movie start, is with her grandmother, Nana.  Tate falls quickly for Sam, but reality is shattered when her secrets are exposed.  Years later, Tate is now also a TV and movie star, and comes face to face again with Sam.  I thought that the relationship between these two was the high point of the book, but it was just an okay read for me.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
There is one thing to know when you go into a modern romance. There will be no real surprises. The girl will get the boy. They will both be good and kind, warm and open. They will have something to hide but will break down the walls of the other. Another thing is that you know they will end up together in the end. Generally I like my books to be less predictable, but sometimes I just want simple and sweet, warm and fuzzy. And this book is all of those things.

During a trip to London with her grandmother, a young woman named Tate meets Sam, a farm boy from Vermont who is traveling with his grandfather. They fall for one another and soon they are spending every moment together. She confides to him her truth -- that she is the daughter of a famous Hollywood actor. She has been living in hiding with her mother and grandfather outside the reach of her dad. Unfortunately her secret shared becomes the catalyst for her heartbreak when Sam turns to the paparazzi. He disappears, she is torn apart and both return to the US.

Fourteen years later Tate is now famous in her own right and has signed on for a big film. She is starring alongside her father. But on the first day of Set she meets the writer -- Sam! Thus, the title of the book.

The story then revolves around the question, why. Why did Sam spill her secret to the press? Why did he disappear and break her heart? And does it even matter? I think these authors did a nice job of examining the pain of love lost and how it affects us. And, how we move on from betrayal.

Unfortunately, though, I didn't much care for Tate. I didn't really believe her story. I didn't find her all that likable. And because of this I never really cared whether Sam loved her, hurt her or left her. And more importantly, I never cared if they found their way back together.

Thank you to Gallery Pocket books and NetGalley who provided me with a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I am a huge fan of Christina Lauren so it was no surprise that I loved this book. I look forward to their new titles and this one did not disappoint! It was so different than their other books but still so enjoyable, touching, and it made me laugh and cry.
Description:

Sam Brandis was Tate Jones’s first: Her first love. Her first everything. Including her first heartbreak.

During a whirlwind two-week vacation abroad, Sam and Tate fell for each other in only the way that first loves do: sharing all of their hopes, dreams, and deepest secrets along the way. Sam was the first, and only, person that Tate—the long-lost daughter of one of the world’s biggest film stars—ever revealed her identity to. So when it became clear her trust was misplaced, her world shattered for good.

Fourteen years later, Tate, now an up-and-coming actress, only thinks about her first love every once in a blue moon. When she steps onto the set of her first big break, he’s the last person she expects to see. Yet here Sam is, the same charming, confident man she knew, but even more alluring than she remembered. Forced to confront the man who betrayed her, Tate must ask herself if it’s possible to do the wrong thing for the right reason… and whether “once in a lifetime” can come around twice.

This fell flat for me. It took me so long to get through it. It was meh. Something about it made me feel really disappointed and annoyed. I was more excited for the idea of this book then the actual book itself.

And as always Happy Reading 📚😊
TWICE IN A BLUE MOON held a lot of promise and while I enjoyed it, it still had some major flaws I can't ignore.

For one, a third of the story is about the main characters, Sam and Tate meeting when they were 21 and 18 respectively. Now I'm OK with exploring the characters' past but since the book was quite short altogether it didn't leave much page-time for the present.

Tate and Sam have a whirlwind romance in London but Sam's betrayal, outing Tate's family connection to a famous Hollywood actor to the press, haunts her years later when she meets him again on set of her next movie. Tate, now an actress, is still angry and confused at the same time because of the feelings Sam still awakes in her.

And this is where this one fell flat for me - there is little character development. They remain as flat as they were when Sam and Tate first met. I liked them alright but I liked them the way I'd like a friendly neighbor. There wasn't a lot of meat to them and we had barely any background about them. I had no idea how Sam became a screenwriter.

The whole story felt a bit like a checklist. It was predictable and there were no real surprises even when there were "twists" I'd had them figured out early on. There is also this "being told instead of being shown" aspect that makes it hard to connect with the characters, which circles back to my previous statement that the characters were one-dimensional. Tate's need for her dad's approval was a little annoying - it was like she lost her backbone where he was concerned.

This book wasn't CLo's best work - I know they can do better so I'm looking forward to picking up their next work!
I finally got to read this even though I got it forever ago. I’m trying to go through all my netgalley’s this month. And idk why I decided to request so many books 🤣 Hopefully I get through them all this month.

I really enjoyed this book. It’s my second one by them and although there are some mixed reviews I thought it was pretty good! I still think I like The Unhoneymooners more though and I was not a fan of the ending.

I think the ending left a lot to be desired and I wanted to know more about her career and how everything was going to fit. It just felt a little unfinished to me.

The story itself was good if you like a quick falling in love story that spans over years. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I went up and down with my rating for this book. I love this writing duo and my experience with their past work has been excellent but these latest two novels (Unhoneymooners and Twice In A Blue Moon) do not meet the high bar they’ve set with Roomies and Josh & Hazel. The endings were not satisfactory. They were not quite enough.

For Twice In A Blue Moon, I enjoyed the London (past) part better than the Ruby Farm (present) half. Young love in a foreign country—I appreciate the thrill of that. Everything up to the betrayal was well done. Then it all went downhill from there.

I guess I don’t find movie actors relatable. I just didn’t care that Ian is a douche or if Tate and Sam get back together. The creative choices were predictable and that was a pity because I know the duo can do better.

I wanted to like this book better than I actually do. I’m sad that I don’t.
This is my first Christina Lauren book, and I’m hooked. Twice in a Blue Moon is a second chance romance that’s flirtatious and fun while sharing the story of first love, betrayal, forgiveness, and the courage to trust again. Quick and fun and just enough romance and love (not over explicit) to satisfy the reader. Thank you to Net Galley and Gallery Pocket Books for an advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

#twiceinabluemoon #christinalauren #gallerybooks #netgalley #bookstagram
During a whirlwind two-week vacation abroad, Sam and Tate fell for each other in an instant. Sam was the first, and only, person that Tate—the long-lost daughter of one of the world’s biggest film stars—ever revealed her identity to. So when it became clear her trust was misplaced, her world felt shattered for good. Fourteen years later Tate only thinks about her first love every once in a blue moon. When she steps onto the set of her first big break movie, he’s the last person she expects to see. Yet here Sam is, even more alluring than she remembered. Forced to confront the man who betrayed her, Tate must ask herself if it’s possible to do the wrong thing for the right reason… and whether “once in a lifetime” can come around twice. review: I am a huge Christina Lauren fan and usually automatically buy their books without even reading the synopsis. The writing in this book is their trademark and I always love a good second chance love story. However, while enjoyable, it felt like it was lacking a bit. I didn't connect to the characters and I felt like a lot of the book was focused more on Tate and her father, Ian, with less focus on Sam. I wanted more from Sam and Tate's relationship and I really missed the steam & bits of humor that I have come to love from their books. If you're a Christina Lauren fan, it's still definitely worth a read! rating: 3.5 out of 5 ⭐️
Twice In A Blue Moon asks whether it's possible to give a second chance to a former lover who betrayed you. Tate is shocked when she walks onto the set of a breakthrough role and discovers Sam, the boy who broke her heart and publicized her deepest secret years ago. Although there are always two sides to a story, there's no chance she'll ever see beyond the facts that he profited off her life.

I'm a Christina Lauren fan, but am starting to wonder if they're just a bit too prolific with their books these days. Twice In A Blue Moon is a decent romance, but overall still a bit of a mess. The book takes place chronologically, with readers introduced to Tate as a teenager. She meets Sam in London and they fall head over heels almost immediately. I struggled to get on board with this relationship. He came across as controlling and aggressive and she was an overly naive and timid girl. I saw no reason why they would even tolerate each other. This section of the book I flat out didn't like.

Thankfully, Christina Lauren seemed to hit more of their usual sweet spot when Tate and Sam meet as adults. Although I still never really understood their supposedly undeniably connection, I at least enjoyed reading about their lives on a film set.

If you're a die hard Christina Lauren fan and plan to read all of their books, this will do just fine. Otherwise, I'd say skip it in favor of almost any other one!
Will be posted on 11/7/19

Tate Butler is on a trip of a lifetime to London with her grandmother.  While there, they meet Sam Brandis and his grandfather.  Tate and Sam hit it off and find themselves spending more and more time together while on this trip.  Sam has a complicated family history and Tate, well, her family's story is ripped straight off the cover of a tabloid. Her father is Ian Butler, the world's most famous movie star and since her mother divorced him, Tate has fallen off the face of the Earth much to the paparazzi's chagrin.  She has maintained an extremely low profile living under a different name off the beaten path, so she could experience a normal childhood.  While in London, Tate and Sam get very close. So close that she actually reveals who is truly is and some of her backstory.  Disaster ensues and her whereabouts are leaked to the press.  Skip ahead to many years later when Tate is a working actress herself and she runs into Sam on set.  What will happen when the only man she ever truly loved as well as the only man to break her heart re-enters her life again?  Twice in a Blue Moon by Christina Lauren is a compelling romance set amongst movie sets and ultimately, it's all about second chances at love and life.

Twice in a Blue Moon starts off with Tate and her grandmother on this amazing trip to London. Tate is naive and hasn't really lived much thanks to her sheltered childhood. So, this is a very exciting trip for Tate. As sparks fly between Sam and Tate, they not only have chemistry, but they have a deeper connection. They get each other and surprisingly, Tate can relate to Sam, which never happens.  But by the end of the trip; however, word is out that Tate Butler is in London and the paparazzi have found her.  She only told one person about her true identity and that person is Sam. So, this means he betrayed her trust.  Plus, there's no more hiding anymore. Everyone has found Tate Butler and even has some insight into her story, thanks to Sam's blubbering mouth.

Sam is a complex character in Twice in a Blue Moon.  Initially, I found myself really liking him, but he made some horribly bad decisions, so it was tough to finally come around to him.  Keep in mind, there is more to Sam than we initially though and more is revealed as the story unfolds.  Fast forward many years and we have Tate, a successful actress, on set and she runs into Sam. Not only is Sam on the movie set, he wrote the screenplay under a pseudonym, which is why Tate is shocked about this encounter.  It truly throws her for a loop.  A big loop.  To complicate matters further, Tate is on set with her formally estranged father, who is the famous Ian Butler.  He is playing her dad in the movie. So, cue all the drama.

My favorite part of Twice in a Blue Moon is the Hollywood/movie set setting. I loved that and it felt fun and original.  It was interesting to learn how Sam came up with his idea for the movie and what inspired him to write the screenplay.  His family's history plays a big role in it, which I also found compelling.

White the romance didn't wow me like it did in Lauren's The Unhoneymooners, I was still delighted by this original romance.  I wish it had more of the witty banter and snarky comments Lauren is known for, but ultimately, Twice in a Blue Moon worked for me.   It's a good book to curl up with this November and holiday season, especially if you appreciate a satisfying second chance at love story.
I wish I loved this book as much as I've loved other novels by Christina Lauren. Perhaps it's not entirely the author's fault at an eager CL fan wanted to get that FEEL from this book, but the need to just hang in there, give it some more time, hope and hope and hope for something to click into the heartstrings just made this one a bit of an effort. Again, the author has to work against expectation. That said, there were some definite weaknesses here, like a thin layer of interest above and beyond the romance, that weakened this one. But we know this author has other books on the way, ones that will likely surpass expectation. It's by no means bad. We just have come to expect a lot. Still, a nice time reading it.
I enjoyed Twice In A Blue Moon by Christina Lauren, my second book by this author. My first was Unhoneymooners. Twice In A Blue Moon was a sweet story that I enjoyed from beginning to end, but it was missing the humor I loved so much in The Unhoneymooners. Tate and Sam's love story just never felt as real or relatable as the one in the Unhoneymooners either. If I had read Twice In A Blue Moon without having anything to compare it to, I think I still would have given it 3 stars. I do think it will be hurt a bit by coming out so soon after the home run that was The Unhoneymooners. The positive takeaway for me is that I now know that I really do like Christina Lauren's novels, two for two now. The two I have read, this one included, were never boring or corny. I'm a fan of the author even if this book wasn't a 4 or 5 star book, it was still a very pleasant experience.

Thanks so much to the publisher, the authors, and Netgalley for my advanced ecopy!
This book is such an enjoyable read. Right off the bat the chemistry between the two main characters jumps off the page. I was torn between rooting for them or hating Sam for what he did to Tate. And Tate's father, Ian, is a character I loved to hate. It's easy to see past his facade in a way Tate couldn't, but given that he's her father I'll allow it. The characters are fully-dimensional and realistic and the plot line progresses beautifully.

This is a quick read, but I think that's mostly because I couldn't put down. It reads fast and it reads really well, I was hooked quickly and throughout the entire thing. If you're looking for a enjoyable rom-com to get lost in for a few hours, this one will definitely do the trick.