The Wives

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Feb 2020

I am a huge fan of Tarryn Fisher’s previous novels so I was ridiculously excited to get to read her upcoming novel early. Based on past experience with her writing, I was fully expecting something twisted and crazy… and The Wives is exactly that! Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen, Tarryn throws in a twist, and then another twist, and another, until I’m not even sure what is happening! What I love about Tarryn’s books are that they aren’t what they seem in the beginning. The Wives appears to be a book about a polygamist marriage but that doesn’t even scratch the surface of what it ends up being in the end. I was completely shocked! I don’t want to say too much about the actual plot of the story because I think this book is one you kind of want to go in without any preconceived notions. If you are into psychological thrillers or Tarryn’s books, I highly recommend checking this one out! You won’t be disappointed.
This book was so different from what I normally read, and I devoured this book. True to Tarryn Fisher style her writing and storytelling was on fire. She always has me on the edge of my seat when reading her books.

After reading the blurb I was very intrigued by this book and couldn’t put it down once I started. Thursday is the second wife and Seth spends one night a week with her. Each wife gets a night of the week. It’s crazy, the wives all know about each other just not names. I can't imagine having a life like this and making it work, they are able to make it work. But some things don't always work after some time. Things change when Thursday learns the identity of the third wife. I am not going to go into any details, this is a journey you need to take on your own. This book was full of twists and turns I didn’t see coming. If you’re a fan of thrillers you need this book.
Loved the first 2/3 and was completely engrossed in the story of this polygamist marriage. Unfortunately the last 1/3 got too weird and it lost its momentum.
I received an ARC from Netgalley a few weeks ago. It took me a few weeks to get through this book. Not because I hated but because I didn’t want it to end! Tarryn’s writing is so unique that I will read her books in one sitting and then have a huge book hangover. I have been really looking forward to this one and since I got an ARC I especially wanted to make it last. This book did not disappoint. I think this might be one of my top favorite Tarryn books. When I thought I knew the twist she twisted it some more. And that ending... wow! I don’t even have the words. Thank you for another great book!
I read the blurb of this book an immediately decided that I needed to read it. I was instantly intrigued with the premise. Full disclosure, I thought I knew exactly what I was getting into. I felt like I knew exactly what was going to happen based on the synopsis of the novel.
I'm not ashamed to admit I was wrong. So very, very wrong.
Tarryn Fisher has a way of pulling at the emotions most authors shy away from.
This book toys with jealousy and envy. It plays on those emotions - feeds on them until you're feeling them deep in the pit of your stomach.
I spent so much of this book not knowing what or who to believe. Every time I thought that I had something figured out, I would flip a page and my mind would stutter over the realization that I had no idea what was going to happen.
This was such an amazing psychological thriller.
I found myself reading fast and faster, desperate to find out what was going to happen next, how this entire journey was going to play out in the end.
Tarryn weaved so many twists and turns into this book, keeping you so invested in the story.
Though the writing in the beginning felt a little...stilted, as I continued reading I realized that the cadence of the writing fit Thursday's character perfectly. It became her voice and I was anxious to read more of it.
I would highly recommend going into this novel blind. The heightened suspense level, the dynamics of the characters as they unfold - all of that is better experienced without anything spoiled.
Overall, I felt like this was a gripping thriller. I was fully submersed in this novel and I loved every twisted moment of it.
I like this book! I REALLY like this book! Tarryn Fisher engaged me from the start with her story of a man with three wives told from the POV of Thursday, his second wife. "Imagining what the future holds proves difficult when factoring in two other women who share your husband." I bet it does!!

Thursday, an RN, never would've imagined herself in a polygamous relationship, yet here she is, waiting for "her" day with Seth each week. She finds herself doing all she can to please him, to be his favorite. "Everything is just right, the way he likes it, and thus, the way I like it. It's not that I don't have a personality; it's just that everything I am is reserved for him. As it should be."

When she finds a note in Seth's pocket containing the name of Monday, Seth's third wife, she is curious to actually have a chance to find out who her "competition" is. Soon she becomes obsessed with knowing where Hannah is and what she's doing. Her growing knowledge affects her relationship with Seth, and when she confronts him, his reaction is quite surprising!

From this point on, the story changes gears and Thursday, as well as the reader, must question everything she believes as to what is real and what is not. The twists and turns are well-played and so delicious!! And the ending - WOW! - very powerful!

I admire the author's way of setting the scenes, and building her characters, layer by layer, until they seem absolutely real. The inner dialog of Thursday is fascinating, and very reflective of how many women inadvertently change who they are to please a man. I love Fisher's adeptness with words and highlighted many passages:

"... women are stuck in a cycle of insecurity perpetuated by the way men treat them, and we are constantly fighting to prove to ourselves and everyone else that we are okay."

"I remember thinking how fragile we were as humans, souls covered in tender flesh and brittle bone; one wrong step and we became someone else entirely."

"Funny the emotional responsibility a woman is willing to take on just to maintain an illusion."

If you're looking for a good read, look no further. I highly recommend you add this to your TBR pile.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Graydon House for allowing me to read a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
What if you were married to a man with two other wives? Your husband is a polygamist, but you’ve never met his other wives, you don’t even know their names, until one day you find a receipt with one of the wives names.
This is just the beginning of the wild ride Tarryn Fisher sends us on. The Wives is an incredible thriller full of twists and turns I did not see coming! I was completely sucked into the vortex that is Tarryn’s writing I didn’t eat I didn’t sleep, I didn’t put the book down!  I just had to find out what the heck was going on!
I highly recommend this book to everyone!!
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

3.5/5

CW: miscarriage, psychosis, polygamy, shitty husband, and abuse

This book had me up until the ending! Literally, right up until the last few chapters, I was there for it all and was excited to see how it would end since there was so little left in the book.

But then it lost me.

Basically, Thursday is the legal wife of Seth. And he has two other wives. She doesn't know their names. She only has a slight clue about where they live. Then, she finds out information on one of them accidentally, which opens up the whole can of worms for this book.

I wasn't sure where the story was going, admittedly. It caught my interest early into the story -- like, by the first few chapters I knew that I was going to finish this book -- and it held it. That's a major feat with some mysteries that come out these days. The unreliable narrator piece was definitely expected and it's not much of a spoiler to say that. Almost every mystery has an unreliable narrator these days. But, I grew attached to Thursday and totally felt for her as she tries to figure out what the hell is going on with her life.

I won't go into much detail because I don't want to get spoiler-y (because this book is a ride), but the ending did kill it for me. I was excited for it to be something new and different, but then I was disappointed by reading the same kind of thing that's in other mysteries. I found myself rolling my eyes and skimming just to finish it up. Totally knocked half a star off my rating because it was going to be a solid four stars up until that point.

A good mystery that kept me on my toes, but it just had a lacking ending for me.
I’m still sort of new to Tarryn Fisher’s books as The Wives was only my third book of hers that I read. Of what I read of hers, she’s so good at writing some pretty twisted books. I was so excited to read The Wives and honestly, it did not disappoint! I knew it was going to be pretty crazy just by the book description and as I continued through the story, it got weirder and crazier as I turned the pages. I flew through the book in a little over a day. I couldn’t put it down! I did think that the beginning was a lot better than the second half, but I still really enjoyed. There were quite a few things I didn’t see coming and I was definitely left shook at times. I decided to go the mini review route for this one, because I don’t want to give away a lot or risk spoilers. This is one of those books that it’s best to go into it not really having too much information. I had so much fun reading The Wives and I can’t wait to pick up Tarryn’s other books.
The Wives by Tarryn Fisher was a provocative and slightly uncomfortable book for me.  Three women, one "husband."   How can I sympathize with a woman (Thursday) who chooses to marry a man who continues to live part of the time with his ex-wife and then adds a third woman (with her apparent approval)?  The women live in separate homes and don't know each other, but they know of each other. Each loves "her" husband and each would prefer to have him to herself, but have agreed to the polygamous relationship.

The implicit rules are that you never meet the other wives.  But what if circumstances arise that make your curiosity too powerful to resist?  Interesting premise.

A coincidence provides Thursday the name of one of the other wives.  Now she must seriously examine her commitment to the arrangement she agreed to.

But not all is as it seems and how reliable a narrator is Thursday?

In the end, I didn't care much for The Wives.  The first half was intriguing, but for some reason, my interest dimmed in the latter half, especially since I could never quite believe in the situation and behaviors.  Note:  I am certainly outvoted on Goodreads.  Most folks loved it.

NetGalley/Harlequin
Psychological Thriller?  Dec. 30, 2019.  Print length:  336 pages.
Thursday’s husband, Seth has more than one wife.  She knows about the other wives but has never met or interacted with them.  While doing laundry one day she finds a receipt from one of the other wives.  Thursday becomes super curious of finding out about his other wife.  So, she looks her up and tracks her down and when Thursday meets her she realizes that she has bruises on her arm.  Thursday then starts to question her marriage and why there are bruises on one of the other wives.

This book was an insane ride and I loved everything about it!  I could not put this book down!  I literally had no clue who to believe and by the end of the book I still was shocked!  This was a total mind f*** of a book!  Highly highly recommend this book!
I am a Tarryn Fisher fan girl. Seriously. Anything she writes, I will read. I was lucky enough to get approved for an ARC via Netgalley and even though The Wives doesn’t release until Dec 30, I couldn’t wait to read it.

In true Tarryn Fisher form, "The Wives" sucks you in from the very beginning. Telling the story of Thursday, a woman who is in a happy marriage with her husband Seth, although it's more complicated than it seems. Thursday is aware she and Seth are in a polygamous marriage, but she knows nothing about the other women, until she finds a scrap of paper with a woman's name in his pocket.  I found myself turning pages faster and faster, getting sucked further and further in at a breakneck speed. I couldn’t put it down.

“The Wives” is a story that will shock and unsettle you and leave you wishing you had more.
So I think that I am going to change the way I rate books. I have been focusing on the story and characters when I give ratings. I tend to give 4 to 5 stars to everything.

If I am being honest, just for story alone I would give this a 3.5. It was a great story, but I wasn't totally wow'd.

I am giving this book a 5 star rating because this book brought out so many emotions for me. I had to stop reading one day because I was getting so anxious and angry and I was taking that out on my husband. I think that is what I want to base my ratings on. A story doesn't have to be great, but if the author can illicit the feelings that Tarryn Fisher brought out in me, then it must be a great domestic thriller.
Can we get a different kind of protagonist? Please!

The Wives by Tarryn Fisher is a psychological thriller about a woman whose husband has two other wives. At first I was all about this book! It was interesting because the protagonist is all well and good with sharing her husband but she sees a hospital bill in his jacket and decides that she needs to meet the other wives. And then halfway through the book, everything changed and I had no idea what I was reading.

One of the things I really dislike about women going after other women in fiction is that they are consistently categorized as crazy and weak. Mental illness, psychosis, hallucinations, those are not twists. I find it hard to get in the books that do that.

Well written and gripping because I didn’t put it down, I was so confused about what was happening, I needed to finish reading it so I could find out what happened. Being confused and being bought in are two different things. I couldn’t relate to her character at all. Thursday, (we don’t actually find out her name until about 3/4th into the book), which is another “twist” buy at that point, I don’t think I cared too much.

I loved the ending. And the beginning was solid but the middle didn’t do it for me.
This book was a wild ride. I thought I had it all figured out and then out of nowhere I was thrown for a loop! Read it!
I don’t even know where to start with this book! Just when you think you know what is happening it goes in another direction. I loved it! I couldn’t put the book down!
almost never read thrillers, but when I saw Tarryn Fisher had a new one out and read the synopsis, I knew I had to get my hands on it. This book was a wild ride. If I had to describe it in one word, that word would be unputdownable. I read this in one 4 hour sitting, I seriously couldn’t put it down!

The Wives is told from Thursday’s perspective. Thursday is the second of three wives to her husband, Seth. Seth spends one night a week with Thursday. He spends other nights with his other wives. The thing is, these wives know about one another, but not their real names or who they are.

One day, everything changes for Thursday. She finds out something troubling about Seth’s third wife, and she learns her name. This takes her on a bit of a quest to find out more and more and more.

As I said before, I was addicted to this book. I couldn’t put it down. It was so fast paced and intriguing. I especially loved the first 70% or so. The last 30% felt a little off to me personally (hence the 4 star rating) but I was still pretty darn shocked by the ending. I did not see that coming.

Even though this isn’t my preferred genre, I love being surprised by twists and turns and this one definitely caught me by surprise. I love that it made me think and wonder what was real and really true and what wasn’t. I might have to pick up more psychological thrillers in my future because I enjoyed reading this so much.

Tarryn Fisher always writes the best characters. They’re imperfect, flawed, and sometimes a straight up mess, but I love the way you hate to love and love to hate them. Her writing is brilliant and I found this book highly entertaining and unpredictable.
This story just blew me away. It gets you thinking one way, and then bam! I really can't say anymore. You just have to read it.
Whoa, that was like traveling on a rocky and winding road! Lots of twists and turns in this one and I hesitate to say much more lest I spoil it but I will say be sure to buckle your seatbelt!

Perfect for fans of Alice Feeney's SOMETIMES I LIE, Kimberly Belle's DEAR WIFE, and Greer Hendricks' THE WIFE BETWEEN US.
4.5*
In your wildest imagination could you ever be content knowing your husband had two other wives?
Are you serious?!
You don’t know them, you don’t live together.
But yet there they are… out there somewhere, sharing time with him.
Could you possibly be satisfied with this bizarre relationship?

“You say I'm crazy
'Cause you don't think I know what you've done.
But when you call me baby
I know I'm not the only one”. - Sam Smith

This was a clever, unpredictable psychological thriller that had me guessing what’s actually real all the way to the end.
I’d just love to tell you more about this book. Seriously! But I know you wouldn’t want me to spill the beans! Right? So...🤫
Again...this is one of those thrillers that the less you know going in. the better! Lucky for me I went in completely blind...and grateful for it!

This was my first read by this author but I will definitely be looking for her next release.

Thank you to NetGalley, Harlequin Graydon House Books and Tarryn Fisher for an ARC to read and review.