Cover Image: The Kill Club

The Kill Club

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the free copy in exchange for my honest review

This was exactly what I was needing when I picked this new thriller up. THE KILL CLUB by Wendy Heard was an addictive and really quick read. I flew through the first 80ish percent of the book and couldn’t put it down. From the very start, Heard ramps up the pacing and sucks you in. This was my introduction to Heard and I will definitely be picking up her other book the next time I’m at the bookstore!

Talk about one hell of a plot – would you kill an evil person in someone else’s life it if meant someone just as evil in your life would be killed? Of course, all things come at a price, but how far are you willing to go to save those you love? Well, this is the situation that Jazz finds herself in. She desperately is trying to save her younger brother Joaquin from their religiously zealous foster mother, Carol. The Kill Club can solve her problems, but there’s a catch, she must kill someone else.

I loved the characters of Jazz and Joaquin – their relationship with each other felt so real and both were flawed in their own ways. The only real reason why this wasn’t a 5 star read for me was that the end felt a little lackluster in comparison to the rest of the book. Otherwise this was an incredible read. I would highly recommend this to those wanting a quick thriller with a plot that will make you question your own morals if you were in the same situation.
Their foster mother, Carol, has always been fanatical, but with Jazz grown up and out of the house, Carol takes a dangerous turn that threatens thirteen-year-old Joaquin’s life. Over and over, child services fails to intervene, and Joaquin is running out of time. Then Jazz gets a blocked call from someone offering a solution. There are others like her—people the law has failed. They’ve formed an underground network of “helpers,” each agreeing to eliminate the abuser of another. They’re taking back their power and leaving a trail of bodies throughout Los Angeles—dubbed the Blackbird Killings. If Jazz joins them, they’ll take care of Carol for good. All she has to do is kill a stranger.
When I started reading this book, I was a little apprehensive. I’d never heard of the author and the last two books I just read by favorite authors were disappointing. I was really glad I started it though, because when I started to get into it, I really enjoyed it and didn’t put it down until I was finished. I really liked Jazz and enjoyed following her as everything in her life became unraveled. This book wasn’t anything I’d expected from a harlequin and I loved it! I highly recommend.
**I voluntarily read and reviewed this book
The Kill Club by Wendy Heard is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher  Harlequin - MIRA, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

People are being poisoned in public places, and the police fear there is a serial killer on the loose.  Mind you, most of these people deserve to die.  Someone out there is a vigilante, killing those who the law has not punished.  In reality, there is not one killer, but many.   To avoid detection, individuals are killing people that are totally unknown to them, so that someone else will kill their nemesis.  The person behind all this is not even getting their hands dirty.

Jazz is approached when it becomes evident that her abusive foster-mom Carol is not going to provide her "brother" with much needed insulin.  All Jazz has to do is kill someone, and someone else will kill Carol.  But can she do it?  Can she kill another human being to save Joaquin?  You bet she can.

Unfortunately, things do not go smoothly with the "assignment" that Jazz is given, and soon Jazz is the one being hunted.

My Opinions:

Take "Strangers on a Train" by Patricia Highsmith...and kick it up a number of notches.

This was a wild, fast, and compelling read. It also ended up being rather emotional. I didn't want to put it down.  Even though the premise of the book was a little dark, and a little scary, this was actually a fun read, mostly due to the characters.

I absolutely loved the characters.  Jazz was wonderful.  She is tough, she is scarred, she has not had much of an up-bringing, but her heart is enormous, and the raporte she has with Joaquin was great, and felt real, as did her budding relationship with Sofia.  The characters all had a realistic feel about them.

I can't wait to see what Wendy Heard comes out with next!
A fast-paced, twisty, psychological story. I enjoyed this and think it's a very solid 3 star read. Nothing about it really stuck out to me, even with the mostly original story. Parts of this were good and parts of it were super far-fetched, even more than my brain could handle. I do like this author a lot and would love to read more by her.
“The first rule of Murder Club, you don’t talk about Murder Club.” ~  Jasmine Benavides

The Kill Club follows a young woman named Jazz, who lived with her brother Joaquin until their fanatical and zealous foster mother Carol threw Jazz out of the house.  With Jazz out of the house, Carol’s zealotry goes to extremes, endangering Joaquin’s life in the process.  Jazz has tried to get child services to intervene with no luck.  And now, time seems to be running out.

Then, Jazz receives a phone call from a stranger, offering to take care of the problem for her.  If Jazz agrees, she’ll become part of a network of people who are taking back their power by doing what the system has failed to do.

All Jazz has to do is kill a stranger in return.  And that’s where things go terribly, terribly wrong.

For me, Kill Club was an unputdownable thriller with plenty of heart-in-your-throat moments. I thought the premise of the story was brilliant:  having an anonymous stranger take down a scumbag such as a serial abuser, rapist, etc. and in exchange, you’re expected to kill someone else’s scumbag. It’s vigilante justice at its finest.

But when things go horribly wrong for Jazz, there’s then an insidious stomach-churning undercurrent of dread that truly made for an addictive reading experience. I could feel her terror and tension escalate with the numerous plot twists until the final surprising pages of the story.

I thought the intensity and poignancy of the relationship between Joquin and Jazz was believable as well as heartfelt, and the depth of it, caused me to really care about what happened to them and to root for their success throughout the story.  Jazz was a delightful heroine: determined, brave, independent, relatable, and entirely devoted to Joquin.  For me, the most poignant element of this story is the profoundly selfless love demonstrated by Jasmine for Joquin, which asks the questions:  “How far are we willing to go for someone we love?”

All in all, I loved this diabolically clever story. Wendy Heard has written a captivating, haunting, and mesmerizing novel here.  It’s a high-stakes novel that’s creepy, unsettling, and I couldn’t put it down.
This electrifying book is actually pretty amazing. I couldn’t put it down. Jazz is fighting to help her younger brother get the meds he needs after their foster mom decides to stop giving him meds believing that God will cure him of his diabetes. But Jazz is not a minor anymore and is already living on her own. And her former foster mom will make it impossible for her to reach her brother to give him his meds. Things get even worse when he is pulled out of the school. If only there was a way to get rid of her former foster mom? Then she ends up entangled by accident in the Kill Club, a club where one helps someone else by killing the person that is making their life a hell, and, in exchange, someone kills someone for them. This Robin Hood murder exchange group of sorts ends up generating all types of trouble for Jazz, and you get an electrifying page-turner where you have no idea what’s gonna happen next. Will she be able to kill someone so someone can kill for her? What’s going to happen with her brother Joaquin? This pretty exciting thriller is for sure one of the best books I read this season.
Justice for Ordinary People

The setting is the other face of Los Angeles where homelessness is common, many children experience foster care, and abuse and crime abound but often there’s no justice for ordinary people.

Jazz and Joaquin, her brother, are products of the foster care system. Jazz, much older, was able to escape their abusive foster mother, Carol, but Joaquin is still trapped. Although not living in the same house, Jazz keeps track of her brother. This is important because he’s diabetic and needs insulin regularly. Carol’s latest fad is believing that God will heal him, so she tries to keep Jazz from bringing him the needed medicine.

Jazz feels enough rage to kill. Then she receives a blocked phone call offering to help her get justice by killing Carol, but there’s a catch. She must kill a stranger to help someone else.

As Jazz struggles with what to do, we meet others whose justice is meted out by strangers. The plot makes for a pulse pounding thriller as anonymous murders terrorize LA, and the police can’t figure out what’s happening.

In addition to being an exciting thriller, the character are great. You can’t help but love Joaquin and Jazz. She’s a tough, but loving character. You want them to get away from Carol’s influence, but at what price for Jazz?

If you like thriller’s that have a message and great characters, you like this book.

I received this book from Harlequin for this review.
The Kill Club by Wendy Heard was insane - in the best way possible. This thriller/suspense combo pulled me in literally from the first page with Heard's absolutely fantastic writing. I didn't plan to read it in one sitting, but that's what happened. An all-nighter was pulled, sleep happily sacrificed to find out what happened next. It was addictive.

The Kill Club asks - how far would you go to protect someone you love? This premise steered the story to some very interesting, very intense places. Dark, gritty, fast-paced - this book kept me on the edge of my seat until the epic ending. I loved the ending. I still keep thinking, "No way, no way, no way!" 😮

I loved the representation in The Kill Club, and the very honest look into the present realties of our foster care system. A hard but necessary truth.

I was fond of all the characters, each vividly written, but Jazz was my favorite. She's got so many layers to her. She's been through a lot and her exterior is rough as sandpaper, but underneath she has such a a fierce, loving heart. She will do anything for those she loves. Especially her baby brother, Joaquin. This badass chick will go to any lengths to keep him safe. Even kill. Or will she? When The Kill Club comes knocking, you'll have you answer...

I'm still shaking off the adrenaline from this crazy awesome ride. You will be too when grab your copy and hop on. What are you waiting for?!
Jazz loves her younger brother Joaquin. Joaquin in thirteen and, when their foster mother Carol won't give him the insulin he's dependent on, Jazz starts to fear for her brother's life.

That got me scared for the both of them since Carol is not the nicest of foster mums. Jazz longs to find some way to get a safer better life for her and her brother but how will they get out of Carol's home?

I saw the stakes were pretty high very early on in the novel and Jazz is a real fighter all the way through.

After a call that gives Jazz an opportunity to get back at Carol, she finds herself part of a club spookily named The Kill Club where anything must be done to protect foster kids. But when being in the club means Jazz must kill a stranger in return for Carol "being taken care of", will she be strong enough?

Will she really have what it takes to save herself and Joaquin from Carol and will they ever have a chance at a better future?

Novels about the foster system are of interest to me and I loved Cathy Glass's novels although they are a completely different genre and set in England but I've never reviewed a thriller about this topic and that's what appealed to me most about The Kill Club. That and the dark LA setting.

Wendy Heard explores the workings and failures of the foster system in LA and Jazz is a very well formed character. I found myself concerned, rooting for and scared for her and fell she was the standout character although Joaquin was well fleshed out too, but I felt Jazz really leapt off the page.

The Kill Club is an action-packed thrill ride from start to finish and it's also the first novel I've reviewed by Wendy Heard. She has a gripping writing style and a good attention to detail.

I was impressed with this novel and have her other books on my list.

Be prepared to be scared gripped and hooked by this incredibly twisty thriller!

Thanks to Wendy Heard and Harlequin for my ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. The Kill Club is book #1 for me on the Harlequin Mystery and Suspense Blog Tour during Winter 2019/20.

4 stars
The Kill Club is an enthralling update to Strangers on a Train where a network of people are killing despicable people for each other.

Someone has poisoned six people on the streets of greater Los Angeles. The police working the case know that it is the work of a serial killer because in each case, a playing card is left at the scene of the crime. In the meantime, Jazz is worried about her younger brother Joaquin. His foster mother, Carol, has taken him out of his middle school with the intent to home school him. Jazz, who used to live with them both, believes that Carol has probably been swayed by her ultra-religious church to stop giving him his medicine. Joaquin is a Type 1 diabetic and could go into a coma or die without his insulin. But the Department of Children and Family Services won’t listen to Jazz. Jazz has a criminal record for fighting and has already been thrown out of Carol’s home. What can Jazz do?

The main characters of Jazz, Joaquin, and Carol are well-done and seem very genuine. The detectives are also well-written. When Jazz gets the proposal to “solve her problem permanently”, I felt that I would have taken that solution regardless of the personal cost. It is hard for the reader not to feel empathy for the situation that Jazz has found herself both before and after the “offer”. The Kill Club is a fast-paced and twisty ride that doesn’t let up until its thrilling conclusion. Highly recommended to all thriller fans! 5 stars!

Thanks to MIRA, Harlequin and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
There is no one in this world Jazz loves and adores more than her little brother Joaquin. So much so, in fact, that she’s willing to toe the line, walk on eggshells around her former foster mother (and Joaquin’s adoptive mother). Carol’s a religious zealot who wholeheartedly believes that 1) Jazz is doomed to eternal damnation because she’s attracted to females and 2) Joaquin’s diabetes can be controlled – even cured – if they just have enough faith.

Because the siblings have spent years sneaking insulin through barred and boarded-up windows, the few child services visits that managed to happen never found cause to remove Joaquin. Jazz might have been beaten black and blue, but Joaquin seemed to be cared for in their eyes and there was nothing Jazz could do about it. Joaquin might desperately want to live with his sister, but with her past, her record, meager paycheck, and closet-sized apartment, there was little hope of Jazz ever gaining custody.

Until the day she received a phone call offering an end to her problems with Carol. An underground group of people willing to assist those in similar situations. All Jazz has to do is assist someone else. Meanwhile the police are on the hunt for a serial killer who’s been leaving a trail of seemingly random bodies around Los Angeles.

The Kill Club is a ride. Don’t go into this one expecting to chip away at it a few chapters at a time. Between the pace and the short chapters, before I knew it I was halfway through the book! This is an action-packed read that barrels forward at a rapid-fire pace and it was all I could do to keep up. I normally finish novels in a single sitting on the weekends when I literally have an entire day to devote to lazing about. But I read this during the week. When I needed to be up extra early the next morning for work. And still I managed to inhale the entire book in one go.

In an ongoing effort to protect Joaquin, Jazz ends up meeting the assistant principal at his school. In commiserating over Joaquin’s situation, Jazz and Sofia become close. Close enough to where Jazz begins to develop feelings for the woman. Close enough to learn Sofia is harboring her own pain: her ex used his wealth to ensure he won custody of their little girl. The deeper Jazz gets involved in the kill club, the sooner she gets to her own ending – until she’s assigned her target. Sofia’s ex-husband.

The action doesn’t slow for one moment. If Jazz isn’t following her target she trying to stay alive after she herself becomes an assignment. All the while Carol retains a hold over Joaquin.

There are a few twists and reveals within The Kill Club‘s pages that add an additional layer of urgency and drama to the story. While I feel the ending wasn’t nearly as intense as the rest of the novel, I was still right there the entire time and truly could not put this book down. I suffered for it the following morning but I have no regrets. If you’re looking for an incredibly engaging, thought-provoking, fast-paced read, look no further.
I’m happy to have found a new thriller author! I was hooked so early on in The Kill Club. The concept is very interesting – could you kill a stranger in order to save someone you loved? I really enjoyed the way that the novel exploded the concept and how it didn’t just look at Jazz, but others in the same situation.

I love it how Jazz wasn’t your typical character. She was super gutsy, but most of the time she doesn’t have luck on her side. There was also lots of other great secondary characters that don’t fit the typical thriller mold.

I did enjoy the ending, but at times it felt like there was too much going on in a short amount of time. I wish that it didn’t feel so fast and rushed. I wanted more time to explore what had happened.

4 calculators out of a potential 5. Going to check out the author’s previous novels!

Thank you to Netgallery and HARLEQUIN – MIRA (U.S. and Canada) for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Jazz is determined to remove her brother, Joaquin, from their foster mother's home. Carol refuses to make sure Joaquin gets his much needed insulin. Plus, Carol is abusive in more ways than one. Jazz has had enough! When she receives an untraceable phone with an untraceable text message, Jazz takes a huge risk.

My heart went out to Jazz throughout this whole story. She is one tough lady just struggling through life. She gets kicked around but keeps getting up and fighting back. Then, when the Kill Club contacts her, she struggles with what is the right thing to do. I admired her in more ways than one. Not sure how I would have responded in her situation.

Talk about intense! This story just gets better and better as it moves along. Then...there are these crazy twists and turns which throws the reader for a loop! Just when I thought I knew how this story was going to turn out...it did a complete 180 degree turn! This is a lightening fast read and not to be missed!

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review.
I'd read a description of The Kill Club by Wendy Heard before the publisher offered  me the opportunity to join the blog tour for this highly immersive crime thriller.  I'm not someone who enjoys books that are terrifying.  Yet an organization devoted to providing justice for victims of abuse is right up my alley even though a journey down that alley could haunt my nights.  Was I ready for this?  I wasn't entirely certain when I downloaded my review copy from Net Galley.

All doubts vanished when I was introduced to the protagonist, Jasmine Benavides.  I'd read that Wendy Heard is the co-host of  a podcast called Unlikeable Female Characters. If the author intended Jasmine to be such a character, I have to say that she failed completely.  I absolutely loved Jasmine from the start--long before I really got to know her.  I had to discover more about this brave survivor of abuse who will not rest until her thirteen year old brother is also freed from the domination of their nightmarish foster mother, Carol Coleman.

Some might say that I'm perpetrating a spoiler when I reveal that Jasmine is a lesbian.  Other reviewers have already outed Jasmine, and I feel that mentioning her sexuality is helping the book reach its audience--the readers who need to see bold lesbian action heroes in their thrillers.

Jasmine is also very human.  She makes mistakes.  A few of them have had terrible consequences, and she doesn't forgive herself  for them. Admittedly, Jasmine has an overly active conscience.  So she also blames herself for  disasters that weren't her fault.  Yes, Jasmine is an angst queen.   I actually admire angsty characters.  Protagonists who take responsibility for their actions are far more worthy of respect than those who self-righteously refuse to accept that they've ever harmed anyone.  People in the second category are usually villains.  Carol Coleman would be an example of that type of individual.

There were surprising twists in The Kill Club, but there were also a few that I found predictable.  Even though I sometimes knew what was going to happen next, I was still totally involved in the plot.   I was so invested in Jasmine as a character that I felt that I had become part of her world.  I would find myself thinking about where the narrative was headed when I was doing other things. This doesn't happen to me very often.

I did have one problem.  I felt that a police detective was portrayed  in a pivotal scene as being less competent with a gun than I would expect of an experienced officer.  That character's credibility as a detective was compromised. This wasn't a minor glitch, and it's the reason why I can't give The Kill Club five stars on Goodreads.

Despite the above criticism, the suspense was first rate and the characterization of Jasmine as a powerful yet vulnerable protagonist is what really makes The Kill Club by Wendy Heard well worth reading.
Disclaimer: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Author: Wendy Heard

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 4/5

Diversity: Main is interested in girls and has a relationship with a girl. Different ethnicities also represented.

Publication Date: December 17, 2019

Genre: Thriller

Recommended Age: 18+ (sexual acts, violence, alcohol and drugs, abuse TW)

Publisher: Mira Books

Pages: 368

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Jazz will stop at nothing to save her brother.

All she has to do is kill a stranger.

Review: For the most part this was a pretty good book. The plot was interesting and I enjoyed reading the twist and turns. The book was also surprisingly emotional and the characters were well developed.

However, I do think that the voices weren’t distinct enough for me and the POV switches were confusing to me. I did have an arc of this book and it was on a kindle, so sometimes I don’t get things that the final book will have, so hopefully there will be page indicators of when the POV switches. I also didn’t like how they cast DFACS (which I’ve worked with before and does amazing with the funding they get in most states) and homeschooling in a bad light. Also, to do homeschooling in my experience and knowledge, you have to generally have a bachelor’s degree, take a teacher preparation program which includes education and fieldwork, and pass a few tests to get your certificate. To not be certified you generally have to have at least a high school diploma or GED. If you have a state that doesn’t require a HSD or GED to teach, then you’ll have to submit a declaration of intent by September 1 or whatever the first day of school is, teach required subjects, write an annual progress report, and be subject to random screenings and visits depending on the state. I don’t require a book to know all of this, but it’s not as simple as just picking a child up from school one day and never returning with them again lol.

Verdict: A great mystery/action/thriller book.
A chilling, gripping and well written thriller that kept me on the edge till the end.
I loved the well crafted plot, the fleshed out cast of characters and the chilling atmosphere.
It was an engrossing and entertaining read, recommended.
Many thanks to MIRA and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Favorite character: Joaquin Benavides Coleman
Joaquin is a 13-year-old boy to whom life handed a basketful of lemons. Instead of letting those lemons define him, he rose above them and is a paragon of all that is good. He proudly displays a Miley Cyrus poster, loves hanging out with his friends, and cannot wait to attend a STEM high school in the fall. Good-natured and kind, he also shows an enormous amount of inner strength that earned my admiration.

What I Like About The Kill Club

The Kill Club is an excellent psychological thriller that will leave you with an unsettled feeling when it ends. There is the traditional, what-will-the-person-with-mental-health-issues-do-next. But also, that creepiness that takes hold when you realize the lengths that ordinary people (people who stand near you in a store, on public transportation, or any other general location) will go to in extreme situations. The fear of "could it happen to me" has a way of staying with you.

I loved the unexpected plot twist that is jaw-dropping and intense. I am rarely surprised by where plots go, but this story completely caught me off-guard. I love being surprised, and The Kill Club is full of surprises.

The story is about exploring moral ambiguity – more importantly, how far you would go to save the life of a loved one. Is it okay to kill someone if a loved one could die if you don’t? Not cut and dry self-defense case but situations that sit solidly in a moral gray area. For instance, is it okay for someone to steal medicine from a drug store that a loved one needs to survive if he/she can in no way afford it?

The novel demonstrates the plight of the everyman within the legal system. It’s easy to ignore the injustices that happen every day unless you are forced to confront them. The Kill Club seeks to bridge that gap and bring awareness on a much larger scale.

The characters are very well developed. The main character, Jasmine or Jazz for short, is someone you can empathize with even if you have nothing in common with her. She’s grown hard and edgy as a response to life’s challenges, but she has pure love for Joaquin, which is redemptive on many levels. I struggled right along with her when she must decide in a morally ambiguous situation.

What I Wish

I wish for more books like this one. Books that are thrilling, action-packed, jaw-dropping stories and still manage to shed light on social problems that occur across our country and need to be addressed.

To Read or Not to Read
If you love an action-packed thrill ride and can handle psychological creepiness – this is the book for you. I can’t say enough positive things about it! It’s a haunting tale that you will not be able to put down.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Linda's Book Obsession Reviews "The Kill Club" by Wendy Heard, Dec. 2019

Wendy Heard, author of "The Kill Club" has written a chilling, captivating, intense, and intriguing novel. The Genres for this novel are Thriller, Mystery, and Suspense. The timeline for the story is in the present and goes to the past when it pertains to the characters or events. The author describes her characters as complex, and complicated. Some are evil. mean-spirited and quirky.

Jazz has been looking out for her younger diabetic brother Joaquin, who lives with his strange foster mother Carol.  Carol has embraced religion and often neglects Joaquin. Before Jazz left Carol's home, she had been abused and beaten. Child Services and Social services ignore any attempt to look out for Joaquin. Jazz has to sneak in to make sure that Joaquin gets his insulin.

Who can protect Joaquin and other innocent people from an inadequate justice system? Jess gets a call from a stranger who promises to remedy this situation, and free Joaquin from Carol, permanently. It appears that there is a network or organization of people willing to perform justice. If Jazz is willing to join this network, she has to perform a deadly favor.

The author has written the novel with twists and turns and had me at the edge of my seat. I basically did figure who was the head figure who was in charge of this group. That was until, the author provided more details, and everything changes again. There is tension, and action in this novel. I would recommend this novel for those readers who enjoy a chilling thriller.
Would you kill a stranger to save a family member?

The Kill Club explores this concept, in which you kill a stranger for a stranger, and then the torch is passed on for someone else to kill for you. We delve deep into the moral ambiguity of right and wrong, and all the shadowy places in between.

I loved Jazz and Joaquin. Their characters have incredible depth, and I couldn’t help but empathize with their situation.

The pace is quick and steady. We go along with Jazz as she’s sucked into a situation that quickly spirals out of her control.

I was fully on board throughout the first half of the book. But then the plot began pulling at the seams of plausibility. And, finally, the big reveal, for me, was a major letdown. The mastermind’s motive is flimsy at best. I don’t want to say more on this because I don’t want to give any spoilers.

While the story is wrapped up at the end, we are left with a dangling thread for a possible sequel or series.
I am still mulling over the events in this book after finishing a day ago. Definitely a page-turner that kept me on the edge of my seat.

The premise seemed straight forward. You have been repeatedly abused by someone. You receive an anonymous call. There is a permanent solution to your “problem” – All you have to do is kill a stranger first. But somehow it all goes wrong. Unable to trust anyone, our protagonist Jazz is hell-bent to protect Joaquin however she has to.

In the second half of the book there were just too many twists and turns, in my opinion, to maintain the integrity of the story. And while we may like to see the evil pay for their behavior surely we want to know what they did. As the bodies build up in the story we are not told why they deserved to die. That bothered me. And above all there was no real explanation for the biggest twist that came about halfway through the book. Contrived twists thrown in just because unexpected twists are all the rage now just does not work for me. There has to be a reason for the twist – it has to make sense.

The author did a great job in blurring the lines between killing that is justified and killing from anger. I often asked myself what I would do at that point of the story – and the answer sometimes scared me.

Thank you to the publisher for providing the advance egalley. The opinions expressed are my own.