Cover Image: The Kill Club

The Kill Club

Holy moly. This one was quite the ride.
What worked: This started off very fast paced, making the pages turn quick. The ending was also well done. One twist I saw, another not so much. The connection between the characters was well written and there were not too many.
What didn't: There was one death in the book that was so sudden, that it felt forced. That character could have done more for the plot. The plot dragged a bit in the middle, with the relationship that was forced. Main character was not my favorite.
Overall: 3.5 stars
Another hit written by Wendy Heard!  This book had me flipping pages and losing sleep! Absolutely chilling and thrilling, must read for my fellow mystery/thriller reader!  You will find yourself emerged in this story Heard created and while wanting to finish, needing it to continue!  Highly, highly recommend!
Will make sure I buzz it up!!
An absolutely wonderful book that asks the question "what would you do to protect your family"?  While the overall story line is not original, Wendy Heard's writing skills have taken it to a new level.  Jazz has run out of options to keep her brother safe and healthy when she's approached with a permanent solution to their current problems.  But the cost of her actions are extreme.  The Kill Club is definitely a 5 star read!
Well that was a wild ride! I could not flip the pages quick enough while reading this crazy suspense/thriller. Wendy Heard created an action packed, intense, and chilling story with a very likable main character - Jazz. This was an interesting read, with a clever and thought-provoking plot, and I would have probably given it a 5 star rating however, I was left a little unsatisfied with the ending. I am not sure if I missed something when reading the second part of the book (maybe I was flipping those pages too fast) but I did not fully understood the motive of the main villain, the mastermind/creator of the murder club. Overall, this book is an excellent read for all the adrenaline-craving readers, and I will definitely read other books by this author.

Thank you NetGalley, Harelquin - Mira Books, and the author for providing me with an ARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Author Wendy Heard brings us Angelenos who don’t always appear in popular fiction—the working class, the undomiciled, the ones facing personal tragedies that aren’t being seen and addressed by society. And, so, in "The Kill Club," an unnamed and faceless individual has devised a plan to kill off the abusers, the deplorables, the willfully evil individuals crushing innocents beneath their abusive heels. Noble? Or morally repugnant? I’m not going to answer that. Good books—discussable books, debatable books—present characters and motives mired in ambiguity and outcomes that don’t fall clearly on one side of the line dividing right from wrong. Heard pulls this off in a book that speeds breakneck through an LA where we don’t know whom to trust nor whether death lay in wait around the corner. Don’t expect to read this book in more than one or two sittings.
Have you ever watched Strangers On A Train?  This book reminds me of that movie.  Jazz gets a phone call from a blocked number that offers her a solution to her problem.  Her Brother is being raised by a woman who is dangerous to his health, she thinks she can heal his diabetes thru prayer.   Jazz will stop at nothing to help him, but can she commit murder?  The plot was great. There are all sorts of twists and turns, a few that caught me off guard.  Thank you to net galley for an advanced readers copy of this book.
The Kill Club is a fast and furious roller coaster ride! Jazz is caught up in this powerful crisscross thriller ride. Jazz finds herself coming up against grim social issues crashing into serious moral issues, as she acts on her overwhelming desire to save her brother. If child services can’t, or won’t, act to protect Joaquin—will Jazz? In this fast-paced thriller, we find out just how far Jazz is willing to go to protect her brother.
I've never read anything by Heard, and I thought the blurb sounded interesting, though not totally original. It began strong, but the second half felt rushed. I had a harder time engaging with it. There were scenes that could've benefited from a tighter edit (to condense things a bit and remove some of the wordiness). I guessed a few of the twists. I didn't quite understand the villain's motivation. I found the characters overall, particularly Jazz, to be well developed.
Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin - MIRA for giving me this advanced readers copy.

Talk about a book that keeps you engaged. The kill club was very well written I thought and not hard to follow along. It was an all-around enjoyable read.

Jazz is this very edgy hip kind a girl who grew up in the foster system. She has a younger brother about half her age that still lives with the same foster mother she had. Unfortunately the foster mother is not the best to care for her brother. So Jazz spends her time trying to make sure that he has everything that he needs to have a happy healthy life. Until one day a foster mother cuts Jazz out of his life.This is the pivotal part of the book, a part that some cannot come back from. She’s approached by what she calls a kill club. And she is asked if she would like the foster mother taken care of. You will just have to read the book to see what direction she goes.

I literally couldn’t put this book down it was so packed with action that you continuously wanted to read on to see what was going to happen. This is definitely one of my top 10 reads so far this year.
The idea of this book has appeared previously in both novels and in the movies.  If a person is the recipient of a wrong and is not helped by the Justice system would he or she be correct acting outside of the law?.  Murder is unlawful and punishable in any normal society.  Most of the time the culprit is connected to the victim and is found easily by the authorities by reason of a motive for the killing.
     Jazz is a young lady that has grown up through the foster parent system along with her younger brother Joaquin.  Jazz is able to leave the home and happy to do so because of the cruelty of their foster mother Carol.  But Jazz keeps her eye on Joaquin and quietly intercedes when Carol becomes totally cruel to the boy.  He has diabetes and instead of allowing him to take medicine Carol insists that God will take care of him. Jazz sneaks into their home as needed bringing him his medicine.  She also makes sure that she is around when he needs her help in other situations.
     Jazz would like nothing better than the death of Carol allowing her to bring Joaquin to live with her.  She does not take any steps but suddenly out of the blue she gets a phone call offering a solution.  If she will agree it will be arranged for someone to kill Carol at a time that Jazz has set up an alibi for herself.  The only thing necessary would be for Jazz to kill someone in return for the favor.  That killing would be masked by Jazz to be completely unknown in the victim's circle.  There has been a series of killings which appear to be completely random by a serial killer and in the end Jazz agrees to the scheme.
     An interesting idea and a good plot make "The Kill Club" a good read and one that certainly promotes Ms Heard as an author to be followed. The reader will be drawn into the book from the start enjoying a good novel and ready to read succeeding work by this author.
Jazz is a tough as nails kinda girl except when it comes to her brother Joaquin. Joaquin lives with their foster mom Carol and she is not a good mother. Jazz worries about Joaquin's diabetes and does everything in her power to make sure he has his insulin. When Jazz is approached by an anonymous person saying they can take care of her problem, that is when things take a wild turn!!! This was a great thriller and I read it very quickly. I loved Jazz and Joaquin and loved how Jazz would do anything for Joaquin. There was lots of twists and turns and the ending completely shocked me! I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
Interesting premise - how far are you willing to go to protect a loved one. The book starts put at a very fast pace, but slows down during the second half. Still it keeps you guessing until the end.
Very well written, kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The plot is a variation on the old Strangers on a Train but with several twists that keep you (and the police) guessing. You  can't help identifying with Jazz, a desperate young woman who does everything she can to get help from the police, the school, the child services people, lawyers, and anybody else she can get to listen to her. No one will help. She's desperate to get her little brother, Joaquin, to safety, so when a solution to her problem literally falls into her path, she's tempted.
What happens next is an emotional, action packed roller-coaster of a read. The only part I didn't like was the unusual sex/love scenes, but I learned to skim past them and stick to the story.
If the movie The Box had an elicit affair with Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train, The Kill Club would be the murderous revenge-filled wife.

The first half of this book had me held in rapt attention, flipping pages with abandon.

With The Kill Club, Wendy Heard has offered up a gripping and thought-provoking plotline with a badass main character.

Would you be willing to kill a toxic person from a stranger's life in exchange for an equally bad person being eliminated from yours? A bit of quid pro quo, execution style.

"First rule of murder club, don't talk about murder club."

Sign me tf up! Hell yeah, can I get a two-for-one discount?

The second half of the book quickly becomes frenzied and rash. I didn't find it nearly as riveting as the first half. It was wordy at times causing me to do a bit of skimming.

Although I hadn't guessed the unmasking at the end, I still didn't find it to be a gasp-worthy revelation.

All in all this is a terrific thriller with a fresh plot. I look forward to what comes next from this author.

3.5 Stars rounded down ⭐⭐⭐

** I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. **
Reminds me of the movie The Box.....taunt and fast paced....an excellent read. Vigilante justice at its best.
With a great premise and page-turning plotting, this is a first purchase for most fiction collections, especially where thrillers are particularly popular.
This book was an intense ride from start to finish. Jazz needs to get her brother out of the reach of an abusive foster mother, but she has exhausted every avenue for help to no avail. Along with Jazz, we're introduced to a variety of other characters who have been left in dangerous situations with no help from the authorities they're supposed to rely on. Each of them turn to a modified Strangers on a Train plan to solve their problems. They're recruited by a murder club to do someone else's murder in exchange for a stranger eliminating the problem in their lives.

The stories of the murder club participants are terrifyingly real, a reflection of real and persistent problems in our society, and the stakes are high for every character from the very beginning. But after we're properly introduced to the murder club and its members, the second half of the book takes twist after twist as it speeds toward an ending that's impossible to stop reading.
Wendy Heard is a brilliant storyteller and “The Kill Club” is a murderous, sexy story that sucked me in right away. Not only does this book promote insomnia, but you will never look at a flip phone the same way again. For some reason, I visualize everything in this story as a Quentin Tarantino movie stuck on a twisted roller coaster where Wendy Heard screws with your emotions. It has the essence of a dark comedy and it was hard for me to put down because the hook at the end of every chapter revealed a little bit more to unravel the mystery. To be honest, I’ve never been able to read a book with multiple POVs, this one is in both first and third person. It’s not a typical style I care for, but it flowed seamlessly and the plot was compelling and fast-paced.

Other noteworthy aspects:
The main character, Jazz, is a cynical badass I want to embrace, be friends with, and, perhaps, kiss! And be ready because this story will cover all the emotions, making you laugh, scream, and cry.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
As an almost instant fan of Wendy Heard after reading Hunting Annabelle, I was beside myself excited to get to read this book and I was not disappointed! Wendy has a way of grabbing you from within the pages and she holds on as she takes you on a twisted, creepy and wonderfully weird ride that will leave you both shaken and stirred and better yet—craving more! This book hits shelves in December and is likely to be one of your favorite reads of 2019!
This book was a nonstop nail-biter with such an amazing premise, which I'm going to keep vague here as to not give anything away. The pacing was spectacular — I read it in a single sitting, and couldn't put it down. The short chapters kept me like, "Just one more chapter... okay just one more, nope one more...". I was HOOKED. And by the end I was literally gasping (my husband actually asked from the other room, "Are you okay?" Ha!).

And while this was action-packed, the characters all felt really fleshed out. I absolutely loved Jazz's voice, and was rooting so hard for her and her brother. I also really enjoyed the multi-POV style. This is a must-read thriller, and I'm so glad I got to read it early. Thanks Mira/HarperCollins for the ARC!