The Kill Club

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Feb 2020

The idea of this book has appeared previously in both novels and in the movies.  If a person is the recipient of a wrong and is not helped by the Justice system would he or she be correct acting outside of the law?.  Murder is unlawful and punishable in any normal society.  Most of the time the culprit is connected to the victim and is found easily by the authorities by reason of a motive for the killing.
     Jazz is a young lady that has grown up through the foster parent system along with her younger brother Joaquin.  Jazz is able to leave the home and happy to do so because of the cruelty of their foster mother Carol.  But Jazz keeps her eye on Joaquin and quietly intercedes when Carol becomes totally cruel to the boy.  He has diabetes and instead of allowing him to take medicine Carol insists that God will take care of him. Jazz sneaks into their home as needed bringing him his medicine.  She also makes sure that she is around when he needs her help in other situations.
     Jazz would like nothing better than the death of Carol allowing her to bring Joaquin to live with her.  She does not take any steps but suddenly out of the blue she gets a phone call offering a solution.  If she will agree it will be arranged for someone to kill Carol at a time that Jazz has set up an alibi for herself.  The only thing necessary would be for Jazz to kill someone in return for the favor.  That killing would be masked by Jazz to be completely unknown in the victim's circle.  There has been a series of killings which appear to be completely random by a serial killer and in the end Jazz agrees to the scheme.
     An interesting idea and a good plot make "The Kill Club" a good read and one that certainly promotes Ms Heard as an author to be followed. The reader will be drawn into the book from the start enjoying a good novel and ready to read succeeding work by this author.
Jazz is a tough as nails kinda girl except when it comes to her brother Joaquin. Joaquin lives with their foster mom Carol and she is not a good mother. Jazz worries about Joaquin's diabetes and does everything in her power to make sure he has his insulin. When Jazz is approached by an anonymous person saying they can take care of her problem, that is when things take a wild turn!!! This was a great thriller and I read it very quickly. I loved Jazz and Joaquin and loved how Jazz would do anything for Joaquin. There was lots of twists and turns and the ending completely shocked me! I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
Interesting premise - how far are you willing to go to protect a loved one. The book starts put at a very fast pace, but slows down during the second half. Still it keeps you guessing until the end.
Very well written, kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. The plot is a variation on the old Strangers on a Train but with several twists that keep you (and the police) guessing. You  can't help identifying with Jazz, a desperate young woman who does everything she can to get help from the police, the school, the child services people, lawyers, and anybody else she can get to listen to her. No one will help. She's desperate to get her little brother, Joaquin, to safety, so when a solution to her problem literally falls into her path, she's tempted.
What happens next is an emotional, action packed roller-coaster of a read. The only part I didn't like was the unusual sex/love scenes, but I learned to skim past them and stick to the story.
If the movie The Box had an elicit affair with Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train, The Kill Club would be the murderous revenge-filled wife.

The first half of this book had me held in rapt attention, flipping pages with abandon.

With The Kill Club, Wendy Heard has offered up a gripping and thought-provoking plotline with a badass main character.

Would you be willing to kill a toxic person from a stranger's life in exchange for an equally bad person being eliminated from yours? A bit of quid pro quo, execution style.

"First rule of murder club, don't talk about murder club."

Sign me tf up! Hell yeah, can I get a two-for-one discount?

The second half of the book quickly becomes frenzied and rash. I didn't find it nearly as riveting as the first half. It was wordy at times causing me to do a bit of skimming.

Although I hadn't guessed the unmasking at the end, I still didn't find it to be a gasp-worthy revelation.

All in all this is a terrific thriller with a fresh plot. I look forward to what comes next from this author.

3.5 Stars rounded down ⭐⭐⭐

** I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. **
Reminds me of the movie The Box.....taunt and fast paced....an excellent read. Vigilante justice at its best.
With a great premise and page-turning plotting, this is a first purchase for most fiction collections, especially where thrillers are particularly popular.
This book was an intense ride from start to finish. Jazz needs to get her brother out of the reach of an abusive foster mother, but she has exhausted every avenue for help to no avail. Along with Jazz, we're introduced to a variety of other characters who have been left in dangerous situations with no help from the authorities they're supposed to rely on. Each of them turn to a modified Strangers on a Train plan to solve their problems. They're recruited by a murder club to do someone else's murder in exchange for a stranger eliminating the problem in their lives.

The stories of the murder club participants are terrifyingly real, a reflection of real and persistent problems in our society, and the stakes are high for every character from the very beginning. But after we're properly introduced to the murder club and its members, the second half of the book takes twist after twist as it speeds toward an ending that's impossible to stop reading.
Wendy Heard is a brilliant storyteller and “The Kill Club” is a murderous, sexy story that sucked me in right away. Not only does this book promote insomnia, but you will never look at a flip phone the same way again. For some reason, I visualize everything in this story as a Quentin Tarantino movie stuck on a twisted roller coaster where Wendy Heard screws with your emotions. It has the essence of a dark comedy and it was hard for me to put down because the hook at the end of every chapter revealed a little bit more to unravel the mystery. To be honest, I’ve never been able to read a book with multiple POVs, this one is in both first and third person. It’s not a typical style I care for, but it flowed seamlessly and the plot was compelling and fast-paced.

Other noteworthy aspects:
The main character, Jazz, is a cynical badass I want to embrace, be friends with, and, perhaps, kiss! And be ready because this story will cover all the emotions, making you laugh, scream, and cry.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
As an almost instant fan of Wendy Heard after reading Hunting Annabelle, I was beside myself excited to get to read this book and I was not disappointed! Wendy has a way of grabbing you from within the pages and she holds on as she takes you on a twisted, creepy and wonderfully weird ride that will leave you both shaken and stirred and better yet—craving more! This book hits shelves in December and is likely to be one of your favorite reads of 2019!
This book was a nonstop nail-biter with such an amazing premise, which I'm going to keep vague here as to not give anything away. The pacing was spectacular — I read it in a single sitting, and couldn't put it down. The short chapters kept me like, "Just one more chapter... okay just one more, nope one more...". I was HOOKED. And by the end I was literally gasping (my husband actually asked from the other room, "Are you okay?" Ha!).

And while this was action-packed, the characters all felt really fleshed out. I absolutely loved Jazz's voice, and was rooting so hard for her and her brother. I also really enjoyed the multi-POV style. This is a must-read thriller, and I'm so glad I got to read it early. Thanks Mira/HarperCollins for the ARC!
If your like me and you love thrillers then you must read Wendy Heard's books. Last December, her debut novel Hunting Annabelle was released and my friend Audriana and I tried to do a buddy read of it but neither of us could put it down so we just read right through it and we both loved it! So suffice it to say, I was elated when Wendy's publicist sent me an ARC of her new novel The Kill Club which will be released December 17, 2019. I just literally finished reading it about an hour ago and I can't stop thinking about it - the first thing I did when I finished was send Wendy a tweet because I just loved it so much! The main character of the book is Jasmine (or Jazz as she's called most of the time). She is such a great character - I feel like she is someone I would be friends with in real life - she is fiercely loyal to those she loves, she has a sense of humor about her and I think she'd be fun to hang out with plus she can be an overall badass when necessary! If I were casting Jazz in a movie I would picture someone like Melissa McCarthy or Rebel Wilson with tattoos - I don't know if these actresses have tattoos or not I've never paid that close of attention.

The plot of this book is really intriguing - The Kill Club or Murder Club is kind of a chain type of thing. You have to murder someone you are assigned and in turn another person murders the person you need out of your life. If you've read the book the Chain - its kind of the same concept. This part of the book was really intense at times and I could never guess how the story was going to play out which is a huge plus for me. Set in LA, this book describes what police have dubbed as the Blackbird Killings. I was really rooting for Jazz throughout the book which was utterly unputdownable for me. Be sure you have plenty of time to read when you pick this book up because you won't want to do anything else until your through with it! So this book is getting a solid 5 star rating from me - and Wendy Heard has just cemented her spot on my Must Read - Auto buy authors list!  Wendy better get busy with another book because I can't wait to see what she manages to come up with next.

I so appreciate the opportunity to read and review this book. Thank you Justine for sending me a physical copy of it and NetGalley for the digital ARC. While you patiently wait for December 17, 2019 to get here for the book release do yourself a favor and pick up Hunting Annabelle. I hope you love it as much as I did!
How far will you go for agency, love, or freedom? In this Strangers on a Train world, the women of LA have an answer to the testosterone-fueled black-market justice of Fight Club, and no one—not even the killers of Kill Club—are safe. Explosive, compelling, and one hell of a good time, do not miss Wendy Heard’s propulsive dive into revenge noir.
An exciting story with a flawed yet endearing main character.  The twist on serial killers was very interesting- you know it’s a good plot when it has you routing for some of the murderers!  The characters were all very believable and the action/suspense had me turning the pages fast.  Highly recommend for a fun read.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

Jazz will stop at nothing to save her brother.

Their foster mother, Carol, has always been fanatical, but with Jazz grown up and out of the house, Carol takes a dangerous turn that threatens thirteen-year-old Joaquin’s life. Over and over, the child services department fails to intervene, and Joaquin is running out of time.

Then Jazz gets a blocked call from someone offering a solution. There are others like her—people the law has failed. They’ve formed an underground network of “helpers,” each agreeing to eliminate the abuser of another. They’re taking back their power and leaving a trail of bodies throughout Los Angeles—dubbed the Blackbird Killings. If Jazz joins them, they’ll take care of Carol for good.

All she has to do is kill a stranger.

This reminds me of the movie "The Box" starring that scrummy James Marsden in its "deal with the devil" kind of plot - and I can totally see this happening given the state of Socia Services these days. The story is well crafted with characters that were engaging - and while reading it I, of course, kept thinking and asking myself if I could do what is asked for someone I love. This would be an excellent talking point at a book club as moms tend to be the members of said cubs and most moms would do ANYTHING for their kids. But would they?

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 💉💉💉💉💉
I had run on a dry spell of books that were really grabbing my attention, so when I started reading Wendy Heard's The Kill Club, my expectations were rather low. Fortunately, Ms. Heard created a fascinating plot, an interesting/odd/unconventional/yet powerful and kick-ass main character, strong supporting characters,all woven together with themes of family love, emotional pain, fear and the drive to survive. This was a very entertaining read, and I found it difficult to look away.

I recommend this book to mystery and suspense lovers, particularly if you like to root for strong female characters.
I liked this book and really enjoyed the point of views of all the characters. The main character was very funny and sarcastic which I liked. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy in exchange for review.
The latest novel by Wendy Heard is a non-stop thrill ride from start to finish. I was hooked early and could not put down the novel after a certain point. When the main character, Jazz, receives a mysterious phone call from a blocked number offering to help her permanently solve her problems with her foster mother, Carol, it is clear that the story is going to take the reader to some unexpected places. Jazz no longer lives with Carol, but her younger brother, Joaquin, who suffers from diabetes, still does and is in danger. Child protective services has failed Jazz and Joaquin repeatedly, and Jazz is desperate to extricate him from Carol's fanatical clutches.

The caller tells Jazz that she's been selected to join a network of others like her, people the law has failed. This network of "helpers" has agreed to eliminate the abuser of another. The group leaves a trail of bodies across the city of Los Angeles, being dubbed the Blackbird Killings. If Jazz agrees to join them, they'll take care of Carol. All she has to do is kill a stranger -- no big deal, right?! As soon as Jazz makes her decision, the tension is amped up and only intensifies as the plot unfolds, especially after Jazz's assignment does not quite go according to plan.

The novel is told from multiple viewpoints, introduced by the name of a character at the start of each chapter. I really like that aspect and the dimension it gave to the story overall. Chapters featuring Jazz are written in the first person, which drew me even closer to her character and made me root for her to succeed in getting Joaquin away from Carol by any means necessary. The reader can't help but wonder, what would you do if faced with a similar choice? How far would you go to save a loved one?

Many thanks to the author, Wendy Heard, for including me on the Street Team, and to NetGalley and Mira Books for an early look at this novel!
Kill Club is an absolutely fantastic take on the serial killer mystery. I was drawn in by the idea of a kill club that centered on helping the marginalized and abused escape their tormentors. The novel did a fantastic job of examining what the effect of that much power would be. I wish there was a little
More development / backstory for the person ultimately behind the kill club (trying to avoid spoilers). There were several small twists after the major confirmation and reveal that really added to the plot although again, I wish the character involved could have had a more developed backstory. Jazz was a full and rich character but some of the smaller characters who ultimately ended up being important could have had a much richer arc.
Second book by this author and just as enjoyable, if not more...

This is sort of like chain mail but with murder. The concept is pretty genius - murder someone ( supposedly evil) who you have no connection to and then someone else will do the same favor for you. Nobody would suspect you as you have no ties to the victim. Brilliant if your conscious can take it right?

This one moves fast. Even with that pace though the characters are well layered and interesting. Jazz is fantastic and I couldn’t help but to root for her no matter the scenario😉.  The foster care system and the legal shortcomings in relation to this scenario are heartbreaking.

A lot happens in a very small amount of time, many twists and surprises. There are multiple characters, but you don’t have to get too invested in them if you catch my drift. You will be able to keep up with the main players.

The conclusion was pretty good and pretty crazy! I flew through this one and was highly entertained. Look forward tot the next! Thanks to NetGalley, the author and HARLEQUIN -MIRA (U.S. and Canada) for a copy in exchange for a review.