The Keeper

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Jul 2019

When the Ericksons move home to care for their ailing grandmother, they’re told a stranger has taken up residence in the attic of the sprawling mansion. Upon investigation, the family isn't sure the tenant is anything more than a figment of old Mrs. Erickson’s imagination—until a mysterious young woman begins to show herself to the family in fleeting, uncanny visits.

I really enjoyed this novel.
Cleverly written plot and story line.
I liked the characters and found them very well written out.
I am going to be looking for more from the author to read.
Recommend reading.

I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley. This is my own honest voluntary review.
I like the premise of the story but didn't feel a connection with the characters that was needed for me to feel invested in the story and what happens to them.  I think if the characters were developed a little more then it would improve on the storyline.
Misty Mount did a wonderful job with this book.  The plot was fairly simple yet intriguing.  I do think the characters in the beginning were interesting but needed to somehow tie them in better with the story line.  The first few chapters really through me off but after the plot thickened it was fairly simple to follow.  It kept me wanting to read to find out more as the twists and turns continued on.  I am anxious to read the sequel.
I received this ARC free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley!

So many twists!      Unpredictable and such a great read.
Evie, Elliot and their young daughter Emma are moving back to Elliot’s family home. A big old house in rural America which they plan to convert into a B&B. Living in the house is Elliot’s Grandmother who wishes to see the project started before she dies. Then Elliot and Evie discover there is mysterious woman, Almira, living in the attic. Who is she?

This is a story of three parts. The book starts with Evie & Elliot and their house move. I found this areasonable start to the book and was looking forward to seeing the plot and characters develop. Once we meet Almira, however, we then progress to part two which tells us the story of her background. Part three then progresses from where part one leaves off. This was all clearly defined and there was no confusion between the parts.

The main problem with this book was that it was very shallow. Although the first section following Evie, Elliot & their family is a good start to the book it is very basic. There is no depth to the plot or characters. As the second part is devoted to Almira’s story the original characters don’t get an opportunity to develop. I never felt that I knew or understood the characters – they were quite bland and cardboard. Unfortunately I felt the same concerning the characters in the second part. The third part is mainly action combining the first two parts which did tie off the ends didn’t give me any real insight into the characters.

The language in this book is quite basic. This is probably the main reason that the plot and characters don’t seem to develop much depth and seem very bland. A few rich words of description can make a huge difference and I really felt that this was lacking.

I feel this is a fairly basic & shallow story. I haven’t invested in the characters and have no desire to continue to read the series.

I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley.
I really enjoyed this book it had me gripped from the first chapter. The storyline and characters were well thought out and there were plenty of twists and turns making the story very unpredictable. I just couldn't put this book down. I will be recommending this book to everyone.
Thanks to Between the Lines Publishing (Liminal Books) for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

I will not be including spoilers in my review.

Misty Mount has written an exceptionally compelling page-turner. I devoured this book in one sitting, the plot was simple to follow without being boring, the characters were interesting while still being fleshed out and overall it succeeded in being fast-paced without being confusing (something a lot of thrillers fail at).

Eve’s arc was a treat to experience and this was only accentuated by the writer’s style. Her development was my favourite thing about this novel. She is intelligent and still emotionally vulnerable, which is something that I think has been lacking in thrillers in recent years.

The twists and turns never stopped and I just couldn't stop reading. The different sections contrasted nicely with each other and highlighted the differences in the characters whilst moving the plot forward. The science fiction elements of the book were unique and thought-provoking.

The only thing that prevented this from being a Five-Star read was that the opening was somewhat exposition heavy and clunky phrasing took me out of the story in places. But these are minor gripes and this didn't affect my overall enjoyment of this novel.

I eagerly anticipate the sequel.