Minus

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really wanted to like this because it sounded like such a great mystery but the plot really messed with me and I just couldn't get behind the plot twist. I wasn't a fan of the characters that much either, the art was pretty good though.
So, I read this in one sitting because I just had to find out what was going on. I am dying to know what happens next in this story.
An e-ARC was given through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I remember setting it aside around the second or third chapter just because I didn't feel like it captivated me enough, only to get back into it another day and finishing the rest of the book in one sitting.

Minus is a fast-paced thriller, family drama that starts with a very calm car ride and the main character, Beck telling her dad that she wanted to pee. Then everything turns messy after that. Throughout the book, there was a main story and flashbacks of the past that adds on to the confusion that was happening. It didn't really make much sense to me until it was all revealed towards the end. And even still, I was confused.

I liked the idea that someone who isn't your biological father can be more of a father to you than the biological one. It shows that loyalty and love aren't because of blood-relations but because of time, effort and care. I also really liked that the characters were all somehow linked which made it very interesting.

Personally, it was a little too fast-paced since half the time I was confused about the flashbacks and the whole police department/ interrogation scene/big reveal made me feel very lost about who's who. Thankfully, everything was clear to me before the final scene.
Beck is on a road trip with her dad, headed to move in to college. Things go south pretty quickly when the pair stop at a gas station for a break. While Beck is in the bathroom, she hears gunshots. She walks out to discover the employee is dead and her dad is missing. The bulk of Minus explores what really happened that day.

The best adjective I can find to describe Minus is meh. The fact that this is meant to be a young adult thriller was what originally got my attention, but I never really got in to the storyline; the illustrations didn't really draw me in either. Generally, everything was just okay in my opinion. Things really picked up in the last 20 or so pages, but then it was just over. The entire graphic novel seemed really rushed and a lot of the key details were not believable to me.

*Thank you to Netgalley, Letter Better Publishing Services, and Iron Circus Comics for the ARC of this book. This was a voluntary review.*
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Minus by Lisa Naffziger is a YA mystery/thriller graphic novel about a girl named Beck, who has been separated from her father, and her journey to find him. A mystery/thriller graphic novel was a new one for me. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but it ended up being a really fun time! This is a relatively longer graphic novel, coming in at 186 pages, but I remained engaged and enthralled the whole time. I will say the art style isn't my favorite, but that is, of course, a personal preference, and it didn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the story! Ultimately, however, I did end up giving this one a three star rating, as I did find the story to be kind of confusing at times. Overall, though, it was a really fun time, and I highly recommend you checking it out!
Enjoyed this book, was surprised though of the outcome and how everyone in the story was connected. The images were enjoyable and bright.
I really didn't enjoy this book. Given the premise I thought I would but it was pretty dull, the mystery was obvious, and everything seemed too neat or something. I also thought the emotions seemed forced and unrealistic. Wasn't a big fan of the art either.
Beck is on her way to start the University of Chicago when things go horribly wrong. She gets separated from her dad at a Naperville gas station during a hold up. After meeting a woman (Sandra) along the road who agrees to take her to Chicago, she connects with some friends and receives a message from her dad. Except her friend's girlfriend doesn't take her to meet the dad, but instead drops her off at the police station. Turns out her dad is not her dad and the man responsible for the gas station shooting is after her as well.

There were a lot of coincidences in this story that stretched its believability for me. [The woman who picks up Beck on the highway happens to be a police officer and just happens to be the mom of Beck's friend's girlfriend. Not only that but she is the ex-partner of the man responsible for the shooting. Then there is the fact that Beck was kidnapped as a child. Her kidnapper turns out to be the ex-husband of the woman Sandra. So Beck just happens to randomly be picked up by a stranger who is the ex-wife of her kidnapper/dad and the ex-partner of her real dad. And if that is not enough the new friend Beck has made online in anticipation of starting college just happens to be this woman's daughter's boyfriend. So many coincidences and connections that I just didn't believe it. (hide spoiler)] I also thought the message was pretty terrible. Just because her kidnapper didn't abuse her doesn't mean he was a good dad. He kidnapped her! Why does it seem like all is forgiven for that? Why doesn't Beck reconnect with her real mom? There is a level of acceptance for the kidnapping that seems pretty unacceptable.
Beautiful illustrations and a great colour palette. Good for fans of Raina Telgemeier.

The plot is an interesting one to be the subject of a graphic novel but this intrigued me and will appeal to young teens who love some mystery.

However, there are a series of events and connections between characters that just don't feel authentic to me. Add in Beck's responses, which feel bizarre to me, and the plot is all a bit strange.

While I could see lots of flaws in this graphic novel, I know that the kids in my school will really like it. Perhaps teenagers are less concerned with plausability and plot holes but I just know the things that bothered me wouldn't bother them.

Thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.
I don't usually read books with this kind of topic (abduction), but I have to say that this one used it well.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this!
I flew through this, wow! Minus is not your typical story.

Beck is on her way to college with her kind of overprotective and paranoid dad. They stop at a gas station and she goes to the restroom: only to hear a gunshot and find that her dad has disappeared.
She can't be sure who pulled the trigger killing the cashier or where his dad might be.

This was so surprising! I couldn't see the twists coming, and this graphic novel explores a very interesting topic and huge ethical questions that I feel like are not really adressed in books. I found myself thinking about it a lot.

The art style was AWESOME: the color choices made this so special and atmospheric.
well, that was really dramatic and confusing. i think the ending was rushed, too. a lot happening to be fixed so quickly and easily.
Everything about this was so average. The story was so bad and, while it was pretty, the art style did not make up for it. There were plot holes, the story was rushed, and at times it straight up did not make any sense. PLUS the worst part is that it almost sympathizes with child kidnappers? I'm so confused by that. I felt absolutely no sympathy, but the story tried to get you to. Not okay with me at all. Two stars because I did still finish the whole thing, but it was farrrrr less than average.
In Minus by Lisa Naffziger a young adult thriller graphic novel. Beck is on der way to University of Chicago after being homeschooled most of her life. Where some events take place and she find out the truth.
I really enjoyed Minus it was really intriguing and held my interest throughout it. Also I was worried for Beck navigating these events and having to trust strangers.
*Received via NetGalley for review*

Mostly predictable, Minus is the story of a young girl who was kidnapped at a young age and raised by her abductor, believing him to be her father until her real father takes drastic action. He shoots up the gas station where Beck hides in the bathroom, and kidnaps the man who kidnapped her in an attempt to get her to meet with him. Wandering alone, luckily Beck meets a kind policewoman and an online friend, and manages to save the man she sees as her real father while dealing with the implications of everything that's happened.

The color palette in muted, which serves the themes well, and Beck is confident and mature even when she's unsure what to do. The plot moves along quickly and is realistic.
I appreciated what the author was trying to do with the story, but some elements just didn’t work. A lot felt extremely rushed, so maybe if the plot had been fleshed out more it would have worked better? Either way, I enjoyed it for the mystery aspect, but the plot had some issues that I can’t really discuss without mentioning spoilers...I wanted more from it.
sure, this was an intriguing read at first until i noticed there was a wifi signal on beck's phone when she was en route to her college, which was....pretty questionable to me. not to mention that this story was basically a huge kidnapper's apologist ideology hhhhhh.

anyway, go read this for funsies.
this was such a cute book!! i loved the story and the characters so much and the art was gorgeous! the color scheme and everything was just so lovely, a really cool graphic novel for anyone who's looking for one!
- 3 Stars -

Quick disclaimer: I actually requested this after it was published (that's when I found it!) because it was still available to request. Also thanks so much NetGalley for this eARC!

So, this narrative takes off after Beck is abandoned at a gas station on her way to visit the University of Chicago with her dad - who is also missing from the gas station. She soon finds out that her dad might be involved in some shady dealings. That's all I want to say cause I don't want to spoil it!

I loved the artwork and the pacing of this novel. It's definitely a page-turner (which to me is pretty important in a thriller); however, while I think that the concept for this narrative is promising, I didn't like the execution. There are several reveals, but the information was difficult to put together. It got info-dumpy, and the reveals (from the middle to the end) occurred too close together.

I also didn't like the "villian(s)" in the story. Those characters and the ending could have been much better developed. Ultimately because of *who* is posed as the villain, I thought the ending didn't make sense and wasn't believable because it wasn't developed enough.
Very odd subject matter. Odd character interactions, and the illustrations really didn't work well with the story. Not one I would recommend.