David Bowie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Jun 2019

This book is a good introduction to David Bowie and why he was famous.  I like that the book shows that it took him a long time to get the stardom he needed. It is a short book but another great book to the series. Thank you netgalley for letting me review this book.
I love the Little People, Big Dreams series and I'm so glad that they have added a number of amazing male figures to the lineup as well.
David Bowie is such an amazing person to introduce young readers to since not only was he a phenomenal musician, but an individual that was constantly reinventing himself and not afraid to show the world who he was.  I loved the illustrations and timeline in the back.  A great addition to this wonderful series.
All the Little People Big Dreams books are absolutely amazing and this one is no exception, I look forward to stories of further inspiring stars for years to come!
** thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me this digital ARC in exchange for my honest review **

i love LOVE Bowie so of course i would love this book too. the amazing illustrations and bright, funky colours are the plus!! this book is indeed suitable to be read by everyone not just children!!!

actual rating: 4.2/5
This book is designed for very young children and is colourful and engaging. I’d say it’s ideal for pre school year one age. The fact that Bowie was so unique and didn’t conform means this book carries a important message to students -  be true to yourself and celebrate our differences.
I loved David Bowie and was excited to see him featured in this series, but it felt a little flat. Most of his personality, struggles and talents were glossed over, and the book made it seem as if he only became a star because he knew that he had to be a really over-the-top performer with weird looks and outfits to get noticed. It also minimized the injury that gave him the iconic look of his eyes, saying it was the result of a silly fight with his friend and just changed his look. He missed 8 months of school and had repeated operations to try to save his sight (not to mention serious damage for the rest of his life), but the book just says it "made him strangely magnetic." It seems as if this painful time and his real struggles could have been much more inspiring to young readers.

All in all, this is a fun book with neat art, but I do wish we could get a little more substance of the real people in these biographies.

My rating system:
1 = hated it
2 = it was okay
3 = liked it
4 = really liked it
5 = love it, plan to purchase, and/or would buy it again if it was lost

I read a temporary digital ARC of the book for the purpose of review.
This book was just too cute!
David Bowie's amazing story of talent and achievements! Extraordinary little book! And also very inspiring!
Ilustrations were also stunning. Can't wait to start gifting this book to little ones!
Another addition to the Little People, Big Dream series, and one I could not turn down. I mean, it’s Ziggy Stardust, but for kids, with amazing illustrations. You’re not going to turn down the chance to read that book, right?

This is a lovely quick read to share with a class that would be excellent to use alongside music or art lessons. The illustrations combined with the (often space related) text are a perfect combination. Another stellar outing in this already excellent little series of picture books.
Oh how I adore the Little People, Big Dreams series of bios for kids, and this latest on Ziggy Stardust does not disappoint. In fact it shines as brightly as Bowie’s stellar career in music and film. Includes the absolute coolest illustrations by Ana Albero, plus a biographical timeline with historical pics and a detailed profile of the life of Iman’s husband, as über-elegant as she. 5/5

Pub Date 07 May 2019

Thanks to the author and illustrator, Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens Books, and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine. #DavidBowie #NetGalley
Another win from this perfect series!  I homeschool and my daughter loves these books!  They often lead to us checking out many more books about the person at the library.  She loved Bowie's outfits and I loved how this book showed how special differences make us.
A great introduction to the Starman David Bowie for young readers. My 8 year old rocker loved it, and yours will too.
This is a charming biography about David Bowie and it gives the children a great introduction to his life. I loved the illustrations and the message that it's okay to be different.
An appropriate biography for early elementary students, David Bowie gives basic facts about the childhood of David and how his dream of becoming a music star inspired him to work hard to reach his goal.
#NETGALLEY #DavidBowie
This latest installment of the Little People, Big Dreams happened to be my introduction to the rest of the series. I'm an immediate fan of this very simple yet eloquent biography library. I understand that not every children's book necessarily needs a rolled-in lesson or message but these stories lend themselves to planting seeds in young ones' hearts of admirable traits/qualities that can take them far in life. In my opinion, I believe these petite but powerful stories would be most enjoyed by 6 to 8 year olds.
This book is very simple and easy to understand for most children who can read. I liked that the book was illustrated but also included photos in the end. This is a great series and I'm glad to see David Bowie included.
Daughter 5 and me loved the book: the illustrations and the simple words that still are able to let the life story of David Bowie become alive.
I love this series! Informative and fun! You and your children will both learn something. This is a great way for your children to learn an interest in reading while learning about peoples.
This was a short and sweet non-fiction book about the life of the fabulous singer/songwriter and legend, David Bowie. Part of the series, ‘Little People, BIG DREAMS’, this is the second one I’ve read.

The wonderful illustrations in the book really complemented the text and I am sure both adults and small children will delight in this book as much as I did!

If you're a Bowie fan this would be a perfect gift for your little reader! Rating: 5 Stars

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for the complimentary ARC. This is my honest and totally voluntary opinion.
My little girl really loves the Little People Big Dreams books and this one was no exception. The illustrations are beautiful and she loved David Bowie's outfits in the pictures. She wanted to dress up like him! She didn't completely grasp all of it (she's 5) but it was written a way that makes it easier for children to understand. I think it's so important to teach our children to dream big and these books are perfect for showing them what people can achieve.
Thankyou to netgalley and the publisher for my copy in exchange for my honest review
Another very similar book to the other ones in the series. I can only say the same things that I've already told about these books: very sweet and very good for teaching little kids about famous people who did something great. In this book I particularly loved how little David's difference from other kids/people and his weirdness is communicated as both something very normal and awesome. Another book I would recommend to anyone who has preschoolers.