Brazen and the Beast

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Jul 2019

MacLean has always been one of my favorite romance writers, but this one just doesn't do it for me. As much as I loved the heroine Hattie and her determination to make this the year of Hattie, fulfilling her desires, I wasn't as interested in the hero. However, Hattie made this book worth it for me, and it was a joy to see her become more assured of herself and empowered.
Sarah MacLean is a fantastic writer! She introduced me to the world of bodice rippers! The Brazen and the Beast is a fun steamy romance full wit and a battle of wills!!
It's the Year of Hattie! This book contains the perfect amount of feminism, romance, suspense, and brooding Beast. This is probably Sarah MacLean's best work yet!
You get yours, Henrietta! Take no prisoners, if a man can do it, you can do it better, girl power! I like in historical romance when the female heroine has a job or passion or actually is doing something with her life and this had that in spades.
Fun and fabulous female character with an interesting plot line, well written characters, and some absolutely laugh out loud moments to help break the tension.
Loved it! We covered this book on the STORY BITES PODCAST with pleasure. It was a full-length episode and we raved. Thank you!
I am loving this series!!

Beast was a fun character to read about. He’s very protective of those he loves, even if it means sending them away. Hearing his full backstory made my heart squeeze. Hattie was definitely made for him. She knew what he needed and how to care for him.

Hattie was the strongest girl ever. I loved her determination although I was saddened by her self esteem at times. She made me wanna reach in and hug her. She gave up on dreams and resigned to being alone so she created this outer shell of strength, but we could see straight through to the hurt. Beast was definitely the guy to crack that shell and show her that she’s perfect just the way she is.

I am so flipping excited for the next book, I almost can’t stand it. Ewan was so bad, but at the same time you could tell he was just broken. I need Grace and his story like RIGHT NOW. So now I wait....
Sarah MacLean's Barenaked Bastards is my current favorite series. I really love how the current crop of romance author's can make such standout characters while still holding in the traditional settings. Hattie is big and loud and such a terrific mix of low self-esteem and full of confidence. She knows she's as smart and as capable as any man in her world, while still feeling unattractive. Whit is also a nice contradiction between needs to save everyone and needs to push everyone away. This book was SO good. I absolutely can't wait for the last book in the series.
“The Year of Hattie.”

This book started out with a bang! Hattie has plans for her birthday. Plans for her future. Not one of them involves a bound and unconscious man in her carriage. So she kicks him out. This scene is probably one of my favorites in the entire book.

Beast is knocked unconscious and stuffed in a carriage. And he is not happy. But waking up to a woman who is good with knots and lets him go only to…literally kick him out of her carriage because she has plans bemused him. Women don’t usually kick him out of their carriages. It was just beautiful.

He follows her to figure out what these oh so important plans are. And he’s shocked.

Hattie is beginning the Year of Hattie in a brothel. But she’s looking for a specific type of man. One who ticks all her criteria. And while she’s waiting, Beast walks in. He’s not who she ordered, but he’s who she needs. And these two are awesome together.

Hattie’s father owns a shipyard, and she’s been dreaming her whole life of taking over from him. Lord knows her brother can’t do it. He’s a useless mess. But as Hattie begins to see that her father would never let her take over, Beast takes the decision out of anyone’s hands.

How can Hattie reconcile the love she has for this man with the dashing of her lifelong dream at his hands?

And how can Beast ever come back from that?

In true Sarah MacLean fashion, Hattie is a goddess and Beast wants only to see her safe. Happy. Whole. In a twist, it takes Hattie’s bold and brazen personality to push him past his limits. And they earn their happy ending. I loved it. I love Ms. MacLean’s writing and voice, and with this particular story, she reminded me of that fact. With her lush words, and delicious prose, she’s able to take this reader places other authors can’t.

I can’t wait for the next book. I need Grace’s story! The Bareknuckle Bastards of Covent Garden aren’t all men, after all.

***Review copy courtesy of Avon Books via netgalley
LOVE this one. Love Sarah MacLean & this series is a standout. Hattie is one of my all-time favorite heroines and I just adore Whit. The two are just fantastic together. If you haven't read Sarah, you must. She's one of my go to's because she is consistently amazing! I can't wait for the next one!
I really enjoyed a great many things about this book. Characters were fleshed out and the plot was well spaced. Some of the secondary storylines could've used a bit more page space but all in all an enjoyable read!
I Love the Bare Knuckle Bastards!! This is my new Favorite series from Sarah MacLean! If you love Historical Romance this book is the one to read!!
I absolutely love your books and sit on pins and needles waiting for the next one! As always, you have wonderful characters!
One of the better historical romances I've read in a long while. Hattie is a determined, strong, smart, and curvy heroine that feels like a real person. Whit aka Beast is just as strong, mostly communicates in grunts, but is also bookish and a match for Hattie.
This book and this series are both amazing. I am intrigued by the Covent Garden underworld setting occupied by the hero, which is contrasted with the London society and business world occupied by the heroine. Hattie is not a typical female, being intelligent and curvy (read plump), but neither is Whit a typical male, since he falls in love with everything about her. I am so looking forward to the next entry!
I could not wait to get my hands on this book!!!  I loved the first one.  And who doesn’t love the series title Bareknuckle Bastards.  You just know it’s going to be juicy.  This book did not disappoint! I am a fan of reading books in series order, but this is one of those that could be a stand-alone for those readers who insist they do not like to read series books.
Henrietta Sedley is our protagonist and she decides it is going to be the Year of Hattie.  It starts by her decree that she will lose her virginity.  She has waited long enough and she is ready to get on with her life. She hatches a preposterous plan and tries hard to make it work.  Unfortunately, she may have set her sights on the wrong man. The man she may have kidnapped is nicknamed Beast (ummmm….hello….not the guy to mess with). The plan may sound foolish, but Beast thinks that Hattie just might have some information he needs. Cue the fireworks - AND they are totally attracted to each other.  One might say that they are both quirky for regency times, but this just adds some fun to the overall story. The characters in this book are all unusual and you will fall in love with all of them. I would say that Whit (aka Beast) was really hard to get to like.  Just like Hattie, the reader has to get to know him before he lets his defenses down and you can start to see the appeal of a silent but strong and determined alpha male.
I love this world that the author has created.  It sets itself apart by being on the fringes of polite society.  A lot of the scenes take place in the dark underground of Covent Garden and the characters tend to go against what society expects them to do.  You will love this series.
Gosh...where to start? I just deeply enjoyed this book. I’m still recovering from finishing my second masters and the characters are lovable and endearing. The plot is fun and exciting. And especially after the *few* extra pounds I’m carrying from working full time and going to school, I greatly appreciated that Hattie is a smart, plump lady with some insecurities but Beast just thinks she’s gorgeous. But I want to be clear, the escapist nature of this series is what made it such a nice palette cleanser after finishing school. The writing is clever but accessible and witty (or should I say Whit-y?). If you’re looking for a series to escape into, I totally recommend this one. I can’t wait for the final installment!
So so so many heart eyes over this! Year of the Hattie indeed — she is such a wonderful heroine, and I loved her so much.
Hattie was so much fun. Her year of Hattie and how she knew what she wanted. Whit was good for her and I liked him as he added to Hattie.

Sometimes I find the Heroine annoying and tiresome, particularity if they are on the feminist bent. Hattie was awesome. She wasn't afraid to fight for what she wanted but she didn't have to destroy the men to get it.

The next book will belong to Ewan and Grace. I am really looking forward to it. Not just for Grace  but to see how Ewan will work/mix with Whit and Devon.
Loved this book. The scenes are well written, and allow the reader to immerse themselves in the action. Plenty of steam action along with drama that make this book a must read.