Labyrinth

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Jul 2019

‏I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.

Back in 1996, The Cove, the 1st story in Catherine Coulter's FBI Thriller series was published.  The 23rd book, Labyrinth was recently published. In the series, readers have been introduced to FBI thrillers with recurring characters.  From what I have read about the series, the main characters are Dillon Savich and Lacey Sherlock, a husband and wife team who are FBI agents.

Although the series has been on my "want to read" list for many years, I have never read any books from the series. When given the opportunity to review Labyrinth, I jumped at the chance. I usually read the rest of the series before reviewing a book, but Labyrinth is the 23rd book in the series, so I decided to forgo my usual routine and read just the one book.

Labyrinth could stand alone as a novel. The story was interesting and easy to follow. The characters were likable and well developed. Reading the earlier novels would help with understanding some of the references but it is not necessary.

I will continue reading the series with the next book but will keep the earlier books on my "to read" list and try to catch up on the series.

This 200-word review was published on Philomathinphila.com on 10/11/19.
This novel has a thrilling mystery with some psychci elements that I enjoyed. Sherlock is a compelling and interesting character and I've read all the books in this series because of her and Savich. Some of the plot elements feel tired and repetitive in a series that has been going on so long. My biggest criticism is the dialogue between characters feeling very stilted and unnatural.
Catherine Coulter is one of my favorite authors, and Sherlock and Savich as my favorite duo.  I couldn't wait to read her new book Labyrinth.  As usual, it is a fantastic book which is full of fun, mystery and a little romance.  You won't go wrong if you purchase this book.  You don't need to read the series to follow along, but why wouldn't you because this is one of the best series out there.
Excellent book.  I love this series and will continue to read anything published by this author.  I'm anxiously awaiting the next in this series.  Highly recommended.
I have read and thoroughly enjoyed all of the books in the author’s FBI series, but just could not get into this one.  The story begins with Sherlock involved in a serious accident.  While twisting and turning, a man lands on her car front window and miraculously disappears, though probably seriously hurt. DNA shows he is a CIA analyst at Langley, who is missing, further complicating things.  Then FBI Special Agent Griffin Hammersmith, taking some time off in Gaffer’s Ridge, Virginia, stumbles upon and rescues a kidnapped woman—but ends up arrested, along with the woman, by the local sheriff, whose nephew is the kidnapper. Everyone doubts everything the agent and woman say about what happened, so Griffin calls Savich for help. Now Savich is up to his ears in problems. He manages to work his way through them, as he usually does, as he, with Griffin’s and the woman’s help, plough through a mess (labyrinth) to find the truth, while Sherlock works her way back to herself after the accident. In the end, the author manages to tie these two separate stories into one cohesive story line/conclusion that will thrill and fascinate any reader.

I love the books in the series about Dillon Savich and his wife Sherlock, but, as I said, this one just did not cut it for me. The different stories are interspersed throughout the book, which sort of made it more difficult for me to follow and understand, as I had to keep switching back and forth, in my mind, as I read. The author manages to tie them both together nicely in the end, however, providing a satisfied conclusion. I am not sure what I do not like about this book, but I think it is the Special Agent Hammersmith and would-be kidnapped woman side of the story, as I just could not get into all the small-town intrigues, mysteries and secrets. Still, the read is a good one.  It is, like most of the books in the series, a bit long, but it does move along nicely. I received this from NetGalley to read and review.
I love this series and look forward to each installment.  This one did not disappoint.  It was full of riveting suspense with many twists and turns. Savich and Sherlock are back and their saga continues.
Many thanks to Gallery pocket books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Savich and Sherlock are back in Catherine Coulter's newest installment of the FBI saga.  As always, our two favorite FBI agents work multiple story lines while trying to maintain a personal space in a world where "personal" means something different to everyone.  The back story of these two agents has given me many hours of great reading and Labryinth does not disappoint.  As the stories move forward, it will surprise you when all is revealed.  Treat yourself to a quiet space and an excellent saga.
Another explosive installment in the FBI series that brings us Sherlock, Savich, and characters that are as rich as they are elusive. This story completely flips everything that we know about Savich and Sherlock’s relationship upside down through the lens of intrigue and conspiracy. Without getting too spoilery, it was a great reset to characters that craved some new dynamic. Coulter’s FBI stories are always tops on my list and this winding Labyrinth was no exception
Description:

On a Tuesday afternoon, Agent Sherlock is driving in downtown Washington when her Volvo is suddenly T-boned at an intersection. As her car spins out of control, a man’s body slams against her windshield and then—blackness. When she finally regains consciousness in the hospital, she’s told about the accident and the man she struck. No one knows yet who he is or where he is because he ran away. From DNA, they discover his name is Justice Cummings and he’s a CIA analyst at Langley…and he’s still missing.

Meanwhile, in the small town of Gaffer’s Ridge, Virginia, Special Agent Griffin Hammersmith rescues a kidnapped woman claiming her captor had probably murdered three missing teenage girls. However, the man she accuses is the local sheriff’s nephew and a member of a very powerful family, reputed to have psychic powers. When the sheriff arrests Griffin and the rescued woman, Carson DaSilva, he calls Savich for help. Together they have to weave their way through a labyrinth of lies to find the truth of a terrible secret.

My Review:

The 23rd installment in the FBI Thriller Book Series, Labyrinth is just as good as the previous twenty three books. Coulter delivers a suspenseful, engaging thriller novel that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end.

Two story-lines run concurrently together, but don't worry they are actually easy to follow which is one of the reasons Coulter is a magician writer.

The very beginning grabs at your heart and never lets go. When Savich receives that call, the one that many have heard about or even experienced, your heart stops. It's definitely heart-wrenching!

This one includes corruption and psychic intimidation just the type of novels i enjoy reading.

By the end of the book I wanted to go own to another one, but a alas that will be a while. I can't wait for book 24.

I received this book free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion, and I cannot say enough good things about this novel.

A Must Read!!
How would you feel if something happened to you and you lost all your memory?  You don't know those around you.  You don't know where you are.  You look in the mirror and see a stranger.  You don't know who YOU are!  This is what happens to FBI Agent Lacey Sherlock.  After a terrible car crash, Sherlock wakes up in the hospital with no memory of who or where she is.  Her husband, Special Agent Dillon Savich, is struck by the  realization that his "wife" is not his wife.........for now.  As time progresses, Sherlock discovers that she can "do" things automatically, like participating in an FBI investigation, but still not remember who she is.

Another story has Special Agent Griffin Hammersmith rescuing Dr. Carson DeSilva from a kidnapper.  Adding a bit of the paranormal to the story, Griffin and Carson find they have a strange, uncontrolled but unique way to communicate with others.  The pair then finds it hard to convince the Sheriff who the kidnapper is.  It seems the Sheriff and half the town are related by blood, marriage, etc. to each other and to the kidnapper. They do not believe the story of Carson's kidnapping.   The two stories are cleverly intertwined, thus the title LABYRINTH.

The only problem I have with this and  most of Catherine Coulter books is the number of named characters she introduces to a story.  This may not be a problem for many, but for me I find it hard to determine which person is important to the main storyline and which may just be a minor player.  This is why I rated the book 4 stars.

Savich and Sherlock are a favorite couple of mine.  I love this FBI series and always look forward to the next book.  Although this is # 23, it is a stand-alone book in that you will understand what is going on even if it is the first book for you.   This is a real thriller, mystery and great reading entertainment.  It is hard to put the book down once you start reading it.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC of Labyrinth.  You can find my honest reviews on Amazon (Jack Sparrow Fan), GoodReads, and FaceBook..
Continuing with several characters in this series, the author crafts a finely tuned novel of intrigue with new characters having ‘gifts’ that complete this accidental team.
Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for this arc
Thanks to the publisher for an ARC to read and give my honest opinion.

Aptly named book as Sherlock and Savich team up again for one heck of a puzzled mystery. If you don’t mind the psychic part of the book, the actual mystery was a labyrinth for sure.

What did I like? For the 23rd book in this series, it was your typical FBI thriller. Savich and Sherlock have been through so many amazing mysteries that they seem familiar. Still you could have read this book like it was your first in this series and still had the same reaction as if you’ve read all of them. That truly depicts a masterful storyteller in my eyes.

Would I buy this book? This author is another big Queen of The NY Times bestseller lists that demand huge prices for their books. Still, if you’ve read any of the rest of the series, you know what your getting with this author. If you can’t afford to buy, a library will definitely have a copy.

Thoughts for the author? I’m not hugely crazy about the woo woo stuff that happens in this book but I believe this is an incredible work of fiction! Thanks for allowing me an ARC.

flagcomment · see review
When I sat down to read this book I did not know it is #23 in a series.  You do not have to read the previous books to understand this book but I found myself wishing I knew more about the characters.  That being said, I really did enjoy this book.  I was hooked from chapter 1 all the way to the end.  The only thing I did not like about it was the "psychic" element to the story but that is solely on me.  I will go back and read the previous 22.
Sherlock and Savich have been around for a while now. Twenty-three (23) years to be exact, and Catherine Coulter does not fail to deliver once again. This book is by far one of the best in the series.  It grabbed my attention from the very start and kept me engaged throughout.  Greed, psychic intimidation, the FBI and not just one storyline, but two, running parallel and intersecting. This book starts out with a bang with Sherlock being involved in a car accident. The repercussions of this single act affect both her work life and her home life. This is a great read, and you will definitely not be disappointed. Grab hold and hang for this wild ride. Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the opportunity to review this book.
I am a huge fan of this series and I love learning about the cases, unit members, etc., but I adore the books that have Sherlock and Savich. This one was a bit of both as those two are prominently involved through an accident and then direct link to a case and then we have a newer agent who falls into a situation that is quite unique and unsettling for the community. Great writing and character development as always. It is a small part but I really liked the part where everyone is worried about Sherlock as it shows the impact she has in her work and with friends/family. Can’t wait for the next adventure!

Thank you NetGalley  and Gallery books for the chance to read this book and share my opinion!
This is another great Sherlock and Savich book from Catherine Coulter. With a while another story about FBI Special Agent Griffin Hammersmith and Dr. Carson DeSilva for good measure. This is a fast-paced book that moves from story to story and kept me entertained and turning the page throughout. Sherlock dealing with amnesia and Savich hoping that its only temporary as he tries to solve the mystery of who the person Sherlock accidentally bumped into. Griffin meanwhile deals with his own murder case and a corrupt system that jails him and Carson makes for a really good book.
Another entry into Coulter's FBI series, this one features Savich and Sherlock more heavily than many of the more recent books have. A secondary story-line with a colleague does happen, which runs parallel and is just as important and intriguing as that of our main protagonists. Fast paced, well developed characters, with a few interesting literary tropes that have not been used before in the series. As is often the case when Savich is involved, there is a bit of a paranormal bend to the story, but it does not take away from the every day investigative work of an FBI agent who also happens to be brilliant with a computer.
Catherine Coulter is so inconsistent in her writing style. I loved her early works (The Cove, The Maze).  Then she started  a paranormal theme, which I do not care for. This book is no exception.

A major problem is there are two story lines, that the reader needs to keep straight as each chapter jumps from one story to the other, back and forth, back and forth..... enough to make one dizzily confused at best. Frustratingly attempting to keep the two story lines straight and figuring out how in the world will they tie together in the end is too much work. And the kicker is, all that effort is for naught; they DON’T! Two separate stories, intermingled in one novel. More effort should have been made to develop ONE story and the characters within it well.

In one story, EXTREME paranormal/psychic characters operate above the law with strongly satanic powers. There is no backstory to these characters. The town reveres them reminiscent of  Stepford wives- creepy. The plot is ridiculous: the character does her psychic tricks kidnapping girls the same age as her long ago missing daughter and doing experiments on them.... for what purpose? To replace her daughter? Uhhh, huh?

The other story involves the beloved Savitch and Sherlock. This story line was quite interesting and it involves a twist that will intrigue the fans of tis FBI series. This is the storyline that begs for more backstory with characters who are multi dimensional . The mystery is intriguing , but the mystery is not peeled back layer by layer; instead the motives are revealed on the last page of the book! Uhhh? Huh?

Unimportant characters are in the mix and excessive dialogue and unimportant details are thrown in. It’s a convoluted concoction for sure, instead of a complex thriller.

NetGalley provided me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Agent Lacey Sherlock is on her way to downtown Washington when she is in an auto accident. All she remembers is a body hitting her windshield and then nothing but darkness. When she wakes, she finds out no one knows who the guy is except he is a CIA analyst that is still missing.

Meanwhile on another case, FBI agent Griffin Hammersmith rescues a woman claiming she was kidnapped and that the kidnapper killed three other people. But when Griffin investigates it, he finds the accused kidnapper is a member of a prominent family who claim to have psychic powers. When Griffin and the woman he rescued are arrested by the sheriff, he calls Savich for help and they have to work their way through the lies that keep piling up even as Savich tries to help Sherlock and deal with the case of the missing CIA analyst.

Wow is all I can say after reading the latest FBI novel from Catherine Coulter. What a great premise and storyline plus I loved returning to past characters again to see where they went on after their book. Ms. Coulter delivers a fast paced, action packed story that will keep you glued to the pages until the very last page is read. I know I was just blown away by all the twists this author through at the characters. I have no idea how this author keeps surprising her readers with unique and intriguing stories in her FBI series and at book twenty-three, you would think it would be stale and boring. That is NOT the case for LABYRINTH at all. It’s just as fresh and exciting as book one, The cove. Every FBI novel has two stories running through it that at times intersect or are separate from the Savich and Sherlock main storyline. What I love the most is how much fun these books are. They are so entertaining and enjoyable that I love rereading them periodically to see back on characters or past storylines.

This time we see Savich dealing with Sherlock being injured and that story line shows a few twists I won’t get into it here to not spoil it for you in case you haven’t read it yet. I love these two characters and love how Savich and Sherlock work so well together as well as raise a wonderful little boy named Sean. Those glimpses into their personal relationship and family are the calm of the case(s) they deal with and I love seeing those glimpses into their life together. The characters are wonderfully written and highly entertaining. I think in LABYRINTH, Griffin is a delight and his dealing with a family who thinks they have psychic powers was fun to see this by logical special agent deal with. The characters are really well written and wonderful to read. I couldn’t help but get into the story itself and root for them to succeed in solving both cases.

If you have never read one of this author’s FBI novels, you can start anywhere as each story is basically stand alone in the series but I highly recommend reading from the beginning with The Cove and moving from there to see how Savich and Sherlock got together and see how some of the other characters joined Savich’s FBI unit. If you like a mystery that sinks its teeth into you while you read, action that keeps you on the edge of your seat and more then run to grab LABYRINTH and settle in for one wild ride from start to finish. I can’t wait to see where the author goes in the next FBI series book next.
Labyrinth was an interesting book, but I cannot imagine that it actually portrays the FBI or the CIA.  The characterization of FBI agents just doesn't match reality. Otherwise, the tale is well-written and keeps the reader wondering.
Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC.