Not Quite Dead

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2019

NOt QUITE DEAD
BY DAWN HARRIS SHERLING

"NOT QUITE DEAD," written by Dawn Harris Sherling was a medical mystery that is fast paced and I also liked the character's also.  This is her debut novel which exciting for me takes place in Boston in a fictional teaching hospital in Boston is just a 45 minute car ride from my house.  I gave birth to my second son, Liam in one of Boston's prestigious hospitals because of almost dying giving birth to my first son locally.  So I was quite excited and thrilled at giving a chance to read and review this title from Net Galley, Dawn Harris Sherling and Crooked Lane Book Publishing in exchange for a fair and honest review.  Ms. Sherling is a real medical doctor who after spending 10 years of cold New England winters freezing here moved back to Southern Florida.  She quite possibly could have received her medical training in Boston since she places the setting of this novel in one of Boston's fictional teaching hospitals as there are many.

As a new physician/intern, Autumn Johnson finds it hard not to faint in the ICU, getting her 30 hour work days in with little time to eat or sleep must less have a relationship with medical doctor/PhD research scientist Jay.  When Jay is brought in to the ICU for an irregular heartbeat with cardiac irregularities which are unexplained and he ends up in a coma there is no explanation.  Could getting his MD/PhD have been too much for him?  He was doing clinical research for diabetes before his unexplained illness.  Cassie who is the resident physician who oversees Autumn the intern physician finds a toxin in his blood Autumn thinks after heading to the lab where Jay was conducting his research,  Autumn is given Jay's notebook by another lab researcher who worked in close proximity to Jay, she thinks not only is someone out to kill Jay but maybe her as well.  With little help other than another intern friend and Cassie whose perfectionism borders on self defeating patterns will the killer have a chance to kill Autumn too?

This is where for me to continue with the novel I had to suspend belief about the research getting done so quickly at the hospital.  Before any new medication gets approved by the FDA it has to go through many experimental treatments and at many different locations with the results replicated over and over for several and many repeated trials at many different research facilities with positive repeated results.
There are also blind and not blind studies with a potentially recognizable result before it is ever given to a human in an experimental study in an experimental medical study.  It is never given to the white lab rat and then directly to a human patient.

What did ring true for me was the point interns and residents are pushed to the point of exhaustion once they begin working in a rotation of usually 72 hours not 30 hours during which time they are caring for sick patients.  Which in this novel the interns did 30 hour rotations not 72.

I did find this medical thriller had less to do with being a medical murder and more to do with the murderer and thriller taking place in a hospital setting.  I was highly entertained and would highly recommend.
In my year of mystery, I was certainly excited about reading a few medical mysteries. The medical field is great for mystery. Doctors must make decisions based on any number of clues and red herrings and that alone can make for interesting reading. A victim could just as easily be felled by a fellow human as he (or she) could be felled by a strange disease/bacteria/infection. While this looked like medical mystery, it was more of a murder mystery set in a hospital.

The focus of this book did not feel like the solving of a potential murder; rather it was the life of an intern and a resident and how hard their work is. There were many references to 30-hour on call shifts, little time for rest, no time to eat, and demands on new doctors's time. I get that it's hard to be a doctor (thank goodness), but I felt like these ladies may have been too focused on what they were missing (i.e. sleep, food, social life). Much of this information became repetitve throughout the book.

One of the other things I struggled with in this book was the medical jargon. I don't have a lot of medical experience (like none?), but I do recognize some medical names and some diagnoses from life experience. Early in the book there was talk of patients who could not survive without pressors, I did not know what those were and it took me out of the story. That was an example that stuck with me, but there were several others littered around in this book.

I did not think the multiple POVs were necessary, not particularly distinct. It was a way to give the reader as much information as was available, but without chapter headings, I would not have easily recognized whose story I was reading.

I may be at a point where I have read and paid close enough attention to a variety of mysteries this year, the guilty party was not a surprise to me. I did not question it for a moment.

This was not my favorite book of the year, and it could use a little more editing, but it was a fine read for a couple hours of entertainment.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a free digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
Since I have been in the medical field since I was 15 I love reading medical related books. This one sure was interesting. Thanks NetGalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!
All round a very good read. I found this book to be very interesting from the medical aspect and sympathetic to the hours the medical staff put in.

I feel that the author could have gone further with the main characters into their private lives. I would have liked to know more about Autumn and Cassidy's backgrounds and go deeper into each character.. But saying that, the story had me reading until the early hours to find out "Who Dunnit".
I really liked this book.  It was interesting to see the other side of interns and residents.  The plot line is definitely something that could happen.  Pharmaceutical companies want to make their meds street legal asap for their continued wealth.  I liked that Dr Johnson followed her gut instinct to find out what happened to the guy she was seeing.  The characters were well written in this book and would love to read more from this author.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
Not Quite Dead was a throwback to the novels of Robin Cook.  It's a pretty standard medical thriller set in a Boston Hospital.  The star of the novel is Autumn, an intern whose boyfriend, Jay, lands in the ICU with an unexpected toxin in his blood.  She thinks that there might be something shady happening with the drug trial on which Jay has been working, and she sets out to learn the truth.

The novel was well written and the suspense was solid, but personally, I got bored by the overwhelming amount of medical minutiae.  For readers who enjoy medical thrillers, Not Quite Dead is well worth your time.  It just wasn't for me.

My thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
It has been awhile since I read a medical mystery.  Now I wonder what other gems I have missed.  This is a mystery that feels more like a caring friend that wonders why Jay ends up in ICU.  The story flows nicely with plenty of medical details on others in the hospital and the staff.  So it doesn't seem at all intrusive when the intern pokes around.  I thought the story was well done with a good ending.   enjoyed the book.
Thank you Netgalley and publisher for this ARC

I like a medical thriller so thought this would be up my street so to speak and it was.

The storyline was interesting and really well paced but there was a lot of medical jargon, some I understood and some I didn't.  The intrigue and suspense were good and kept me interested.  Overall I would recommend this book.

This was the first book I have read by Dawn Sherling so I await others.

Reviewed on Amazon
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
I haven't read a huge amount of medical thrillers and I was so excited to get my hands on this book and dive into a genre I wasn't that familiar with. I hit a few problems, although the book was interesting and fast paced... my main issue was the fact that I didn't understand more than half of the medical jargon used. I seriously couldn't keep up with it and found it difficult to focus because I wasn't always sure what was going on.

I would recommend this book, but unless you are a medical thriller veteran, some of the language might be tough to get through.

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

Not Quite Dead is a medical thriller book.     There is a lot of medical terminology in this book which may be confusing or difficult to keep up with for some people.  I personally love medical themed books, so this was a hit for me!
Grey’s Anatomy meets CSI. This book was extremely enjoyable and delightfully different than my normal reads. It was refreshing to read something new.
Thank you for the advanced reading copy from NetGalley.

I love thrillers, medical dramas, and a good mystery with plot turns and twists. I thought I'd love this book more than I did. While I enjoyed the mystery parts of it, I got bogged down in the medical terminology, and the plethora of information that seemed to detract from the pacing of the plot itself.
I liked the multiple points of view approach, I enjoyed the characters as I got to know them, and I did enjoy the ending once it got there. It took me a lot longer than usual due to the details that slowed me down.
A decent read, with lots of detail and information, but overall a solid mystery thriller.
Thrilling read that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It was well written and flowed well and was easy to read. One you won’t want to end
This medical thriller starts fast and doesn’t let up.  The story is told from multiple points of view.  It is a page turner.  I love a good medical thriller and this is a good one.  It is an inside look at the world of the hospital intern and resident.  My one comment recommending this book is that it has a lot of medical jargon and, unless the reader is familiar with the terms and medical conditions, (which I am) they might be confused and lost at times.  I hope this is a new series and that we get to see these very likable characters again!
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley.

I did not enjoy this book as much as I expected to. I love murder mysteries and thrillers. I also love medical dramas so I figured I would enjoy a medical thriller. And do not get me wrong I did actually enjoy the mystery and thriller aspects of this book. The plot was decent but I kept getting bored due to how the story was bogged down with medical terminology that I wasn’t sure was actually required. It often felt like an information overload. Don’t get me wrong some of the information was good and gave a lot of insight into the difficulties of the medical profession and interns and how little mistakes can have big consequences. However sometimes the overflow of information took the excitement from the story and made it instead kind of drag and lose the readers interest. You just don’t need step by step accounts on how to do medical procedure or the way drugs work for the regular reader.

I did however enjoy the multiple points of view in the story and I did enjoy the characters that were introduced. I also felt satisfied by how the mystery ended and found the book well written if a bit dense due to all the medical terminology and overflow of unnecessary medical information. Overall I give this book 3.5 stars.
I love thrillers but have mostly delved into legal or regular crime thrillers. This medical thriller was equally appealing to me, just as the world of science and medicine is. It's not just the story of an intern trying to accommodate herself in the midst of life and death, but it is also about her courage and determination to keep learning from her mistakes during her residency.

I read books with a purpose to learn something new from them, and there was much to learn from the characters of Autumn Johnson and others who struggle every day to find a balance as life-saving doctors. They need to be persistent in terms of both the physical strength and the mental strength. It's a fine balance to maintain in a rushed life, especially when you're personally linked to patients who're on the verge of dying.

While this book is informative about the medical life, it also doesn't disappoint on the thrill aspect. I loved the scenes that kept me hooked all through. As a thriller lover, I knew the culprit half way through the book, but that's the art of thriller writing - to steer the reader to a wonderful climax. There is no way I'd not recommend this awesome medical thriller to readers. Go for it any day!
An interesting medical thriller with lots of medical detail and well developed characters. It held my interest and kept me guessing.
Being a medical student I usually try to stick with books in other genres instead of medicine. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this book! I like how it intertwined the realities of medicine with solving a mystery. I also appreciated that the medicines and procedures done in the hospital were realistic instead of grossly exaggerated. If you want a book that enticing and an easy read, I would recommend this book!
What an amazing thriller! Absolutely loved the storyline and the heroes.  The writer spins a beautiful tale abd draws you in slowly but surely.