Cover Image: Window on the Bay

Window on the Bay

I was a huge fan of Debbie Macomber maybe ten years ago. She was the first author of romance novels I ever read. I decided I should give her books another go when I saw this title on here. I’m so glad I did, because I still absolutely adore her writing and storytelling.
I’m happy that this one was a stand alone, I don’t know if I could commit to a long series. I love the friendships through this book, there was a lot going on in relationships. I love that you get to see family dynamics throughout as well.
If you are a fan of her past books I can absolutely see you loving this one as well. It made me reminiscent of years ago and made me want to pick up a few more of her books.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. A typical Debbie Macomber book with great characters and a predictable ending.
such a great story. Jenna and Maureen have always been best friends and had made plans when they were younger to go to Paris after they graduated college but things kept happening to put it off. Now Jenna's mom has broken her hip and she needs to go and take care of her. Her mom's doctor, Rowan Lancaster starts taking a liking to Jenna pretty much from the start but Jenna was hurt by her messy divorce 20 years ago and not quite ready to open her heart even now. Jenna's ex was also a surgeon so she is not wanting to date another one.
I liked how the story kept alternating between the lives of Maureen and Jenna and getting to know them. Also Jenna's 2 kids needed a kick in the butt also, They are grown adults and both needy in their own way.
The friendship between Maureen and Jenna, the two main characters, is a main theme throughout the book. Both women are divorced and have raised their children as single mothers with no help from the absentee fathers.

When the children are away at college, they begin to have time to think about themselves and plan for their futures. They have raised their children to be independent. Now it is time to let go.

Window on the Bay delves into the lives of two women who have dedicated their whole lives to taking care of others. Now that they have time for themselves, where do they go from here?
WINDO ON THE BAY is another perfectly crafted and heartwarming story by Debbie Macomber. I’m not yet an empty nester but the stories of Jenna and Maureen pulled at all my mama heartstrings. It was a beautiful reminder to cherish the days we have with our children and also to look forward to the next chapters of our lives with good friends at our side.
Debbie Macomber writes another heartwarming story.  Window on the Bay will appeal to anyone who can relate to being an empty nester.  The relationships in the book are masterfully examined by Macomber.
Debbie Macomber’s welcoming words to her readers encapsulate why I like her books, particularly her more recent works, so much.

“I hope you enjoy Jenna and Maureen’s story as they navigate through this new world and the discoveries they make about themselves and their futures.”

That’s the point: it’s not their personal relationships with suitors that takes center stage, it’s the relationship they have with themselves, their families, and their friends: those are equally important.

Jenna and Maureen have known each other forever—their friends from college. Once upon a time they dreamed of visiting Paris together but life (pregnancies, marriages, life!) got in the way. Years later they’re both empty nesters, and Jenna particularly is emblematic of the “sandwich generation.” Her children may be away at college, but they still need her and tug at her heart-strings. Still, maybe the time is finally right to book that trip to the City of Lights!

Unfortunately, her “elderly mother breaks her hip.” The surgeon who rescues her mother is instantly attracted to Jenna but been there/done that. Jenna’s divorce twenty years ago—from a surgeon—was messy and unpleasant. But she’s so tempted by Dr. Rowan Lancaster.

Have I shared enough to tempt you? Debbie Macomber is one of life’s pleasurable certainties!
Debbie Macomber hit it out of the park with this one.  I am a loyal fan and this book did not disappoint!  Thank you for the opportunity to review this book.
I found the relationship between the two main characters believable and realistic.  I liked them.  I don't always like the main characters. I thought the surrounding picture painted by the author was wonderfully painted and I loved the relationship the author developed between mother and child.
I have been a fan of Debbie Macomber every since I picked up my first Cedar Cove story.  I was very excited to get a chance to receive this ARC for review purposes.  I honestly really, really enjoyed this book.  The writing is engaging, the story flows so smoothly, and I can relate to the Jenna character more than I would like to admit in certain aspects. The friendship that Maureen and Jenna have is one of the most important relationships in this book.  They have each other's back through all the ups and downs life has thrown at them including learning to let their guards down and believe in love again.  They each finally meet a man worth taking a chance on after being single moms for so long,  Jenna struggles the most because she had a horrible husband and so the emotional baggage she carries with her always gets in the way.  I don't want to go into too much detail and end accidently drop some spoilers but by the end of the book everyone has the HEA.  I especially enjoyed the final chapter which is set 5 years in the future.  Such a great idea!
 The only thing that prevented me from giving this a 5 star rating is that from time to time I actually found the Jenna and Allie characters a little bit annoying in how they respond to each other and various situations.
Wonderful book by Debie. Never ever disappoints. This is such a touching book. I'm sure everyone that get their hands on it will love it. Its sure to make you feel like you're the characters in it.
I have several books from this author and I’ve loved each one. This author has a way of making you feel like you are right in the story. This book is no exception. This book gives you those feel good emotions after reading, but you have to go through a lot to get there. I did feel like some of the writing was immature for a middle aged woman. Overall, enjoyable read. I look forward to more from this author.
Prolific writer Debbie Macomber has always been my go-to for cozy and heartfelt stories of family and chaste romance - and I adore her vivid Pacific Northwest settings. With the exception of exactly ONE of her books, I have loved everything she’s written ❤️
WINDOW ON THE BAY tells a tale of two middle-aged best friends encountering new loves and ups and downs with their adult children and an aging parent. The Seattle setting is PERFECT. Jenna and Maureen were a delight to get to know and I was rooting for their romances with Logan and Rowan from the very beginning ❤️
Highly recommended for longtime fans of Macomber and a good place to start for those new to her work!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book about two friends who plan to go to France together, a storyline with which I can totally relate.  Of course, life gets in the way of the trip, something else with which I can totally relate.  That was exactly what made this book so good for me:  I could instantly relate, not only with the planned trip, but with life that gets in the way.  Debbie Macomber is the expert at making her stories relatable to her audiences.
Received this Advanced Reader’s Copy from Ballantine Books and I couldn’t have been more appreciative!

I enjoyed this fast paced read, as I do with each of Debbie’s books.  Jenna and Maureen had such similar yet different lives, however they still became the best of friends and remained as such for many years afterwards.  This was not one of my favorites, but none the less I still enjoyed it.  Coming home after a long day, and escaping into the kind, light hearted story, took my mind away from the day.  That is what a good book should do!

It was a book filled with fun, love, family and friends and the ending was just as wonderful.  Didn’t leave you hanging, and allowed you to see how things played out, five years later.

This is a heartwarming story about second chances.  I enjoyed the format of the story, both character take turns telling their side of the story. Jenna and Maureen have been best friends since college and have been by each other's side through their marriages breaking up and raising their children as single moms. Now that their children have left their houses they're experiencing their first taste of freedom in years. As we follow their stories they both meet men that they are very hesitant to let themselves get involved with in a romantic relationships. Will they find a way to trust after their former relationships hurt them so badly?
I am very grateful to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read an ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review.
I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
You can receive your copy here: https://www.amazon.com/Window-Bay-Debbie-Macomber-ebook/dp/B07JLP3N49/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Window+on+the+Bay&qid=1570109556&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

I was so honored to be receiving this book in exchange for a review. I have read over 100 books by Debbie and I have enjoyed every one of them to their fullest. This book did not disappoint.

We start out at University with two friends; Jenna and Maureen who were planning on going to Paris after graduation. The best laid plans... Maureen has a circumstance that way lays these plans. Everything was purchased: airline tickets and hotel reservations. An itinerary was meticulously laid out and on their phones. However, it just wasn't going to happen, not yet.

The book then forwards to Jenna taking her daughter to college, her alma mater, the University of Washington. This means the nest is now empty. Jenna has spent the last 16 years being a single parent and being both mother and father to both her kids and now the silence is deafening. Maureen, also with a failed marriage comes over to keep Jenna company only to console her on her situation only to have another shocking turn. Jenna receives a call regarding her mother and a fall. This brings us to a very relatable situation with Jenna and Maureen in the hospital waiting for Jenna's mom to get out of surgery on her hip. There was an awkward situation with Jenna and the surgeon, Dr. Rowan Lancaster.

I loved the Hillbilly Elegy reference in this book. It makes an appearance as a book exchange that soon becomes a flirtation point. The attraction between Jenna and Dr. Rowan Lancaster, the shower scene with her daughter from the drill, and more. There are so many parts of this book that had me giggling, dying as I put myself in that situation, laughing out loud and just excited to see what was going to happen next. Reading this book in public places warranted a lot of attention from onlookers as I tried to stifle a laugh here and there. Seeing Jenna as an adult dating and a mom to adult children really added to her character. It was nice that she actually took time out to be herself. As a mom, we are quick to give up our dreams and aspirations for those around us to cater to other’s needs. The ending of this book really warmed my heart! Jenna got everything that she always wanted and more! I hope you all enjoy the book as much as I did!
Window on the Bay by Debbie Macomber is a beautiful novel. I don’t know how she does it, by her novels keep getting better. She writes with such emotional depth and complexity. I absolutely loved this particular novel and found it full of great hope. I cannot believe the negative reviews that this book has received. I think the only reason I can imagine is that the book’s characters are older empty-nesters. I thought they were beautifully written and would love to see more like this book. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
Another great book!!! I love anything Debbie Macomber writes! She never disappoints me. Her storytelling astounds me!! Can't wait for her next book!!
Window on the Bay offers Macomber readers a book about two women, good friends, who are single and uncertain as to the next phases of their lives. Moving on after divorce, the two adjust to dating and parenting their respective adult children. Each dates but has not found anyone worth pursuing beyond an initial date or two, until they each meet a man who offers a challenge to their way of thinking. Jenna had been married to a doctor and refused to date other physicians based on his actions. Her best friend Maureen was holding out for her ideal man and when she met someone who didn’t fit her defined criteria, it threw her a bit. As the two women consider these relationships, their beliefs and ideals are challenged, and they ultimately grow as people.

Though I liked the general concept of the book and appreciated reading about women around my own age, I found each of them to be somewhat unrealistic and naive at times. One example is when Maureen is invited to go tailgating at a football game and she didn’t know what that is, nor how to dress for it. This type of situation happened enough to be at times, annoying. The book is worth reading as it good to see the characters go through a humbling transformation and emerge stronger and more likable.