Cover Image: Window on the Bay

Window on the Bay

Jenna and Maureen have been the best of friends for years.  After watching Casablanca, the two girls discover a love for France and make plans to go after college.  However, their plans must be put on hold.

Jenna, a nurse in an ICU, becomes an empty nester when her daughter goes to college.  She has been divorced for nearly twenty years and is excited to see what the next part of her life entails.  That is, until her mother falls and breaks her hip.  The orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Rowan, captures her eyes.  The problem is that he is a surgeon (as was the ex), and he works in the same hospital.

Maureen, a librarian, leads a very simple life.  Also divorced, she hasn't been interested in the dating scene until Logan, a plumber working on a local construction job, begins to visit her at the library. Maureen finds herself a "green-light", but are their differences too much?

This story was a great read.  I have always loved reading books by Debbie Macomber, and this one was no different. It was engaging and provided enough conflict to keep the pages turning.  I would give this book five stars.

I received a free electronic copy of this book from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
The importance of friendships and allowing yourself to love (even when you do not expect it) is the common themes I found in this newest novel by Debbie Macomber.  Her stories always bring faith, warmth, and hope to her readers and Window on the Bay does not disappoint!  I love the fact that even with all the craziness that life has given to the two main characters, Jenna and Maureen, have never lost each other or given up on their dreams.
I absolutely love books by Debbie Macomber! Her books never disappoint and this one is no exception. This is a story about two women who meet in college and form a lifelong friendship. Maureen and Jenna have a planned trip to Paris in the spring, but life gets in the way. Both women are empty nesters and both have long been divorced. Neither woman has yet to find the right guy. Now, twenty years after the first planned trip to Paris, they have another trip planned to go. Also, there are new romances on the horizon. I also completely enjoyed the epilogue! This is a wonderful story and I highly recommend to anyone!

"I received an advanced copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review."
This book is about two friends who plan on visiting Paris together while they are in college and end up putting it off due to life circumstances.
     Maureen and Jenna stay in touch even through the ups and down in life including divorce and family issues. After their children are older they revisit the idea of going on their trip to Paris .
Maureen meets Logan when he comes into the library where she works . They are intrigued with each other but live very different lives. Jenna works at the same hospital as Rowan but doesn’t really interact with him until her mother falls and he is her surgeon . After they spend time together they realize they are very well suited for each other .while juggling life, and their children both couples find a way to work things out in their relationships.
    This is a sweet story of heartache, friendship, and love .
A heartwarming story of two friends and their lives 20 years into their friendship. After the children have grown up they are now looking for purposes and how to move on from last mistakes and things given up along the way. Together they find themselves again but in a new life worth enjoying! Love this must read page turner! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my ARC copy of in exchange for my honest review! Loved it!
Debbie Macomber tells wonderful stories and build beautiful relationships. This book is filled with so much wisdom!  Mother-daughter, Mother -son, long time best friends, new best friends, and new romantic relationships all come together in this Debbie Macomber novel filled with such promise ❤
Debbie Macomber's novels never fail to entertain, entice emotions, and stay will me long after I've closed the pages. This novel was no exception. Love, and life, and life-long friendships. And of course the promise of Paris
Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC. Window on the Bay was the light hearted read that I needed after some heavy books. Macomber has a knack for writing books that are easy to pick up and hard to put down. In this story we follow the lives of two women, best friends, who are both divorced and have spent their lives taking care of their families. They both meet men who change their worlds and rely on one another for the ups and downs of these new relationships. I gave it only three stars because while it was a quick read, there wasn’t a lot of character development or plot development in this one.
I have always enjoyed this author’s books and this latest one didn’t disappoint.  Loved the plot and the characters.  Nice to read a romance with older characters.  I definitely recommend this book.  My thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for my digital arc.  This is my unbiased review.
The more I read, the more I wanted to read.  How close to home does this story come to you or someone you know?  Real life things are happening here and written in a way that just keeps you reading.  Love the relationships in this story.  Some are great, some not so much.  But it’s a good story the way they are all weaved together.  These characters are some that could be your best friend, your neighbor, or your ex.  Loved the characters and the situations they had to go through to become who they are.  I received this book from NetGalley, but my opinion is my own.
Window on the Bay is the latest novel by prolific women’s fiction author Debbie Macomber.  Set in Seattle, this is a story of friendship, family, and finding one’s future.  Jenna and Maureen have been best friends since college. They have seen each other through marriage, motherhood, divorce, and single parenting. Now they are both navigating empty nests and are finding their ways once again.

Although they have each dated over the many years since their divorces, they have both been reticent, employing what they called their stoplight system.  Most dates have been bright red, a rare few have been yellow, but no one had been green.  They each have high standards and deal breakers. Jenna, an ICU RN, swore she would never date a doctor, especially a surgeon like her cheating ex. Very conservative librarian Maureen always felt she would be happiest with someone like a college professor. They were both so very wrong!

The story unfolds as both ladies deal with grown children. It takes another turn when the added issue of dealing with an aging parent with a life threatening injury. How they each navigate dealing with their own issues, loneliness, and desires is the backbone of this heartwarming tale.

This is a lovely story that explores the paths for two single forty something friends in a very frank yet kind manner.  The characters are endearing and the issues are real.  This was a very good book and I do recommend it!
Jenna and Maureen have been friends since they were teens. They have always dreamed of going to Paris. Every time they think they are getting close to being able to go, they have life events that keep them from going.

Maureen and Jenna have been friends through good times as well as bad. Their families are intertwined with each other. When ever something good or bad happens to one of them then they are their for each other to share it.

Ms Macomber takes us n an incredible journey of life's events for both women and their children and the rest of their families. Definitely a must read. If you are a lover of great romances and incredible stories then this is a must for you.

Ms. Macomber spins the story so you feel like they are part of your family or your friends. You feel what they feel, you experience life through their eyes. Every time I finish one of her books I think this is the best one yet, then I read another one and feel the same way. This one so far is my favorite I think, but trust me, she has never written a book yet that I did not like.

There is a great cast of characters and hopefully we will hear more about them in the future.
Window on the Bay is the latest novel by Debbie Macomber.  I thought the story was well-written with steady pacing.  I enjoy Debbie Macomber’s writing style.  She manages draw the reader into her world and hold their attention.  I like that the main characters are two women in their forties who now have empty households.  Jenna and Maureen are likeable and relatable women (which Ms. Macomber is known for creating).  It is great that the two women are close friends and are there for each other.  Both women are divorced and have spent the last twenty years taking care of their kids.  Now is a chance for the two women to “spread their wings”.  Jenna wants them to finally take the trip to Paris that they had to postpone after college plus she is thinking about taking a painting class.  We also get to see a different perspective with Jenna’s eighteen year old daughter, Allie.  Jenna is making changes at home, which upsets Allie.  Allie may want to live on her own and discover who she is, but she does not want things to change at home.  This provides balance to the story and a different outlook.  Maureen and Jenna have dated sporadically over the years.  But they have been burned by their husbands, and it is hard to open themselves up to love and to trust another man.  Dating is not easy as we see with Jenna and Maureen. Each person learns something about themselves through the process.  It is never too late to grow and change.  The path to happily ever after is bumpy, but well worth the effort.   I admit that I related more to Maureen with her love of books and dislike of sports. I enjoyed the light humor sprinkled throughout the story and I appreciated that is a clean story (no foul language or intimate relations).  Jenna’s favorite spot in her home is her window seat with the view of Elliott Bay.  I could understand how she finds peace from looking out at the water.  It was nice there was an epilogue to wrap up the book.  Window on the Bay is a heartwarming book with a happily-ever-after that will please readers and reading it is a lovely way to spend a leisurely afternoon.
I liked this enough to complete the book.  It drew me in and I didn't want to stretch out the reading experience, but it also didn't tug at my heart the way other Debbie Macomber books have done.  The pace was easy and the characters were well-developed.  I liked the friendship between the two female lead characters, but neither appealed to me as people that I would enjoy hanging out with.  I thought their issues were true-to-life for their age and stage.  Jenna's outcome worked for me; Maureen's, not so much.  This is a decent light read for summer, but not the most satisfying work this author has to offer.
I voluntarily read an advanced review copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley and I offer my honest opinions in response.
I've been a fan of Debbie Macomber's books for years and this one didn't disappoint.  Jenna and Maureen have been friends since college and have always wanted to go to Paris together.  They are both now empty nesters and feel like they can start planning their trip.  Jenna has also wondered what was next for her, but wasn't quite sure she was ready to start dating.  Naturally she meets someone before she decides to start looking.  Maureen also meets someone.  It was fun seeing both relationships progress and how different they were.  #WindowOnTheBay #NetGalley
My Review: If you have taken a peek at my reviews at all you will find out that I am a big Debbie Macomber fan, I generally read her new releases right away and am obsessed with her Christmas stories. So, of course, I jumped at the chance to read this newest release. I was thinking this might be a continuation of Cottage by the Sea, her release from last year, but it doesn't seem to be, they both seem to be standalone books which I am 100% happy with reading. I love how this book follows two middle aged moms with recent empty nests, I am not quite there yet but getting close (other than the single parent part) and was really able to relate to them and their struggles to find their new definitions now that Mom wasn't the main focus anymore. The friendship between Jenna and Maureen was so inspiring, we should all have a friendship like that in our lives, someone who just gets us, supports us and guides us. The romances are slow burn, clean and realistic with all the baggage that comes with dating later in life. Macomber really pushed her characters outside their comfort zones and made them look past their preconceived notions of what the perfect partner should be. The romance also didn't completely take over the story, so much of the story is focused on friendships and family dynamics as well. I really appreciated the little peek into the struggles of letting your adult child make their own decisions and how the relationships shift as they grow up.

My Rating: I really appreciated how this story was so full of various plot lines and that it wasn't solely focused on the romance.  It was a nice reminder of what a great friendship looks like.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and give it a rating of Four Paws!
Best friends Jenna and Maureen have been doing just fine. Sure, their children have finally left their respective nests, and Jenna’s especially bristling at the thought of an empty house. But now they’ll finally have time to do things they’ve always wanted— like taking the trip to Paris they originally planned in college. However, after Jenna’s mother, Carol, falls and breaks her hip, Jenna meets the charming Dr. Rowan Lancaster. And with Maureen open to seeing someone of her own … well, it might be time for these two friends to finally live their dreams and find love.

Author Debbie Macomber dishes out books like others dole out hugs, and usually with the same heartwarming effect.

Part of this is because she’s perfected the formula for ideal friendships. Jenna and Maureen share a natural bond, partially because of their shared experiences— they attended college together, they’re divorced and devoted to their children, yet they’re each open to changing things up in their lives. Because of this, there’s a certain reliance on each other emotionally. However, one also understands the importance of the other’s happiness and they effectively push each other into situations that make them better. It’s a special bond on the page, and Macomber expertly molds it.

All of this is not to suggest that romance takes a backseat to friendship. Rather, each of these women ends up drifting to two special dates. Early on, Jenna’s meetings with Rowan do feel a bit stilted— and there’s an odd dynamic to him dating her while treating her mother. However, Macomber gradually and effectively explains away their awkward encounters. Maureen and Logan, on the other hand, do have a more natural-feeling progression. Logan patronizes the library Maureen works at, looking for book recommendations, before finally asking her out for a drink. While there’s something to be said about bothering a woman while she’s working, it’s ultimately a cutely developed relationship.

Through this all, there’s a heavy emphasis on growing older and dealing with a changing family dynamic. Really, these are the strongest points. Maureen has to pull herself out of a mostly settled life. At the same time, Jenna has to take care of her recovering mother while accepting that her children are finally out of the house. What these women show is that, in these moments of isolation, it’s never too late to embrace change and chase true happiness.
A heartfelt depiction of life after loss. While I admired Jenna's strength in being a single mom, it left her a little too jaded towards men, in my opinion. If you can fight the occasional desire to shake the book (or her neck), then it's another wonderful story by Debbie Macomber. The connections between Jenna and Maureen are very real and emotional. The story was cute, with plenty of laughter and tender moments. Window on the Bay is definitely one to read this summer.
Window on the Bay is a warm, emotionally charged story of two long time friends facing a new stage in life.  Both Jenna and Maureen have craved the time where they could enjoy life without all the responsibility of family.  Since college they have planned a trip to Paris.  Since the last child is off to college, now is surely the time they can make it happen.  Will they be able to get to Paris or will events have them postponing again?  Grab a copy of this one to find out.  I highly recommend it.
First, thanks to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an e-galley of this book.

Jenna and Maureen have been best friends since college.  They have both gone through marriages, divorces and now, they are both empty nesters.  Perfect time to pick up the idea of traveling to Paris that they had to set aside so many years ago.

Until, Jenna's mom falls and breaks her hip. Dr. Rowan Lancaster performs surgery on her mom's hip, and makes his way into Jenna's heart, all while Maureen has met and started seeing a new man in her life.

Will they ever get to Paris?
#NetGalley  #WindowontheBay